AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-01-05, 16:27   Link #41
Clarste
Human

Eh... I think some people are a bit pessimistic. I doubt it'll be a good movie (none of Jackie Chan's recent ones have been anyway), but I don't think it'll be bad because of stupid things like the title. Heck, I can imagine them making a joke about that, since apparently they're aware enough to at least consider changing the title. Something like:

"So I'll be, like, some sort of karate kid?"
"What?! No, karate is Japanese you idiot! This is kung fu!"

Not exactly the pinnacle of comedy, but I think Hollywood is sometimes self-aware enough to make jokes like that.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-05, 17:13   Link #42
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Eh... I think some people are a bit pessimistic. I doubt it'll be a good movie (none of Jackie Chan's recent ones have been anyway), but I don't think it'll be bad because of stupid things like the title. Heck, I can imagine them making a joke about that, since apparently they're aware enough to at least consider changing the title. Something like:

Not exactly the pinnacle of comedy, but I think Hollywood is sometimes self-aware enough to make jokes like that.
That'd be pretty funny.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-05, 19:17   Link #43
Kakashi
カカシ

Send a message via MSN to Kakashi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post

Dude, you may have ruined the best joke of the story. Why?
Kakashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-05, 20:27   Link #44
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animexcel View Post
Put him in a body bag! Yeahhhh!!

As regard to the remake. I'm not seeing it either.
Wtf
Old 2010-01-06, 00:00   Link #45
TooPurePureBoy
Socially Inept

There needs to be like a robo-cop for hollywood that just has the singular purpose of going around and kicking any producer that signs off on this kind of crap in the nuts....
Old 2010-01-06, 19:27   Link #46
mellomarie
fullblown technicolour

i don't even understand the need to remake this. the original more than suffices and it was out 20-something years ago. it's not that old.

and will smith's kid? D:

ah well, it's not like i'm going to see this crap. i'm just annoyed that my sister is actually excited for this, wtf.
mellomarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-07, 00:35   Link #47
-Mad Skillz-
Kinetic 9

Send a message via MSN to -Mad Skillz-
They need to remake a TRUE classic:

-Mad Skillz- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-07, 00:45   Link #48
radioIzzy
stuck in a harem genre
*Artist

Man. Why is Hollywood butchering everything I love...
I kind of excited that Jackie Chan was going to be in the movie, but then I looked at the trailer and my face did a 180...
Mr. Miyagi is rolling in his grave ='(
radioIzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-07, 01:37   Link #49
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Mad Skillz- View Post
They need to remake a TRUE classic:

Spoiler for Space:
Ahahahahaha that one was a classic for all the wrong reasons

The movie as a whole was okay to cheesy . But the Van Damme Scenes were killer, I really liked his kicks in that .

That Van Damme was forever lost in sands of time : (
Old 2010-01-07, 04:52   Link #50
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioIzzy View Post
Man. Why is Hollywood butchering everything I love...
I kind of excited that Jackie Chan was going to be in the movie, but then I looked at the trailer and my face did a 180...
Mr. Miyagi is rolling in his grave ='(
It's what Hollywood does.
Old 2010-01-07, 09:55   Link #51
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
He goes to china to learn Karate oooooooooook i think we all know the issue with that should have called The drunken kid lol . Well it could have been worse the trailer did not look that horrible. Im not going to waste money on it but maybe when it comes on netflix or something i will check it out. The production looks like its high quality. You have to start somewhere and this might get Jaden Smith started in the biz.

Last edited by Sinestra; 2010-01-07 at 11:29.
Sinestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-12, 12:14   Link #52
Lathdrinor

Seeing the preview for this film, followed by the preview for "Red Dawn 2" and "From Paris with Love" before the Sherlock Holmes movie made me seethe. Hollywood definitely has it out for Asians, or at least Chinese, this year. Red Dawn 2 is self-explanatory. From Paris with Love has John Travolta fighting Chinese criminals, and there was one scene in the preview that particularly stood out:

Sidekick: (in a Chinese restaurant, right after a presumed shoot-out with Chinese criminals) How many more of them are there!?
Travolta: About a billion.

The implications are obvious, even if done for laughs.

With Karate Kid 2, it's more subtle. I personally don't have a problem with them confusing Karate and Kung Fu, nor do I have a problem with the general plot of the film (black kid goes to China, gets beat up, trains from Jackie Chan, gets back at the bullies, wins the girl). In fact, I found it refreshing that they cast a black kid instead of a white kid. That's something, at least.

But let me ask you this: when was the last time you saw Hollywood cast an Asian kid as the main character, or better yet, with a white girlfriend? Why is it always a white kid, or in this case a black kid, with an Asian girlfriend? What kind of message does this send to the Asian kids out there?

Coupled with the obvious whitewashing of the Last Airbender cast, it's enough to make you suspect an underlying motive.
Lathdrinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-12, 19:09   Link #53
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathdrinor View Post
it's enough to make you suspect an underlying motive.
Here's your underlying motive: $$$. They're pandering to their audience for monetary reasons, not racist ones.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-14, 01:44   Link #54
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

The ending made me laugh.

Although it doesn't have Pat Morita obviously, Jackie Chan is the next best thing.

My first reaction upon hearing about this movie was "HELL NO". But after watching the preview, I'll give it a chance.
Old 2010-01-14, 03:25   Link #55
ac3y

Hm, I'm not sure about how good this movie is gonna be, but I know one thing for sure. I'm not going to miss out on what might be a great movie because I'm getting all hung up on how correct the name is.
Old 2010-01-14, 15:25   Link #56
Taylo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooPurePureBoy View Post
There needs to be like a robo-cop for hollywood that just has the singular purpose of going around and kicking any producer that signs off on this kind of crap in the nuts....
Well, you know the way things are going, it's likely they will remake robocop soon, with a distinct possibility of him doing something like that to appeal to the immature people in the audience. That said I probably won't see this film.
Taylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-14, 19:54   Link #57
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylo View Post
Well, you know the way things are going, it's likely they will remake robocop soon, with a distinct possibility of him doing something like that to appeal to the immature people in the audience. That said I probably won't see this film.
Hmm, I would actually want to watch a remake of Robocop. There were some issues in the original movies that were really never resolved.