Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-07-30, 16:26   Link #1
Vampire
Birth by Moonlight

Send a message via MSN to Vampire
Gender Bending

A couple of weeks ago, I just started reading To-LOVE-ru and in some parts of the manga(not going to spoil anyone) shows gender bending and it got me thinking: What would it be like if I was a girl all of the sudden? Aside from groping and testing my sizes, I wonder what my family would say, how life would be if everyone treated me as a girl instead(retaining your own personality and overall living style). My family would accept me the way I am anyway, since they don't give a damn what I do. My friends on the other hand would probably try hitting on me, much less to their dismay that I would probably be a tomboy.
What life would be if you are/suddenly turned into the opposite sex?
Old 2009-07-30, 16:49   Link #2
Chaho-Chi
toptoptoptoptoptoptoptopt
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Chaho-Chi
Hmmm I never thought of that O.o
Well I guess all my friends would just come up to me and talk. (Just like some of the guys I known for a long time >.>) Thats all I can think off.

Chaho-Chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-30, 16:53   Link #3
Solais
Youkai of Coincidence

I think same as my cousin's life. Because she's just like me (reversed, asocial, loves to read, grown to the Internet; the only exception that I have manly confidence and ego), just she's a she. Really. I have my genderbent self as a cousin. And she's more like the sister, than my real brother is my brother. (Damn, that sounds strange in English... my language have a generic, non-gender word for brother/sister. Aka we're get along really well.)
Solais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-30, 17:06   Link #4
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solais View Post
my language have a generic, non-gender word for brother/sister.
So does english, "sibling".

edit: I guess I should add something on topic too. As long as the change was physical, I'd be pretty much the same. Except that by being suddenly changed into a girl I'd have indisputable evidence of some sort of supernatural phenomonian, so you can bet I'd be throwing all my resources into learning some sort of magic. Also I might try cosplaying then.
Old 2009-07-30, 17:35   Link #5
Neat Hedgehog
Hack of all trades

You know, it's kinda funny. I hadn't really thought about it before, but I guess it wouldn't really be much different. I only know a few people, and most of them I've never talked to except in WoW or IM, so there wouldn't be any issues there. My parents probably wouldn't notice much difference. People already regularly mistook me for a girl until I was 19, so I'm already used to guys hitting on me.

My general lifestyle is nearly completely gender neutral already, so aside from a lack of hygienic knowledge, I can't think of anything that would take a lot of getting used to.
Neat Hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-30, 18:03   Link #6
Solais
Youkai of Coincidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
So does english, "sibling".
...Wow, I guess I was living in lies for years. Damn my teachers, when I thought I almost mastered the language, it turns out I was wrong about this very single thing. I thought "sibling" means the same as "relative".

So, "And she's more like a real sibling, unlike my real brother".
Solais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-30, 18:28   Link #7
Rita
한국어 guru

Hmm, not to sound like braggish or anything, but I think I'd be popular among the girls.
Since, well, I have a lot of girls as friends, whom I'm close to (somewhat).
And, I'd probably try hitting the gym more to everyday. And I could ask out people.
I don't ever like to ask anyone out (since people at my school find it odd for a girl to ask a guy out).
Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-30, 20:12   Link #8
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

This is actually something I've pondered on numerous occasions.

I'd most likely freak out at first, assuming it wasn't an expected change. But I'm not really sure beyond that. Of course there are aspects I'd particularly enjoy, and plenty I wouldn't. Overall I'd probably have inital worries, but I'd probably enjoy it to some extent, if only for the experience (this would be much more likley if it wasn't a permanent change).

Realistically though I can't say. I can't predict how others would respond, but if they came to terms with it (particularly my family and friends) I don't see much being different. Although some things, in particular, social interaction would probably be approached differently.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-30, 22:55   Link #9
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Well, I don't know. For myself, I probably won't change much. So, people might take a second look and wonder why this girl is so loudmouthed. Not to mention that if I get to keep my height, I'll probably draw a lot of stares and finger pointing.
Old 2009-07-30, 23:14   Link #10
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neat Hedgehog View Post
You know, it's kinda funny. I hadn't really thought about it before, but I guess it wouldn't really be much different. I only know a few people, and most of them I've never talked to except in WoW or IM, so there wouldn't be any issues there. My parents probably wouldn't notice much difference. People already regularly mistook me for a girl until I was 19, so I'm already used to guys hitting on me.
Guys are mistaking you for a girl when you're 19? That's pretty amazing. They must really not look for chests or anything.

I do know one guy, not particularly close to me, who is currently undergoing counseling on the way to become a "she". For something that takes a lot of bravery to do voluntarily, I guess it would be a shock for that to happen to you overnight.

I feel like I act like a girl already. Just a week ago I was getting groceries and my friend said I shop slowly like a woman. My friendship circle is also ridiculously male-dominated, so suddenly having to act differently with them would be awkward. (And then I will be the first female in the computer club. Oh dear.)

Last edited by Claies; 2009-07-30 at 23:55.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-30, 23:48   Link #11
FateAnomaly

I think i would most definitely be a terrible girl. I already have no talents apart from being extremely average. But i am also lazy and untidy. As a guy it is barely acceptable but for a girl to do so would surely be criticised to no end.

But if i really become a girl i think i would try cosplaying, not that i would look good. The thing is i always thought the costumes are really pretty.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-31, 00:10   Link #12
Rita
한국어 guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post
I think i would most definitely be a terrible girl. I already have no talents apart from being extremely average. But i am also lazy and untidy. As a guy it is barely acceptable but for a girl to do so would surely be criticised to no end.

But if i really become a girl i think i would try cosplaying, not that i would look good. The thing is i always thought the costumes are really pretty.
Lol, that's not necessarily true. I'm lazy, (somewhat) untidy, and I have no talents.
But, I don't get criticized and people love me. xD
And, I don't see why a guy would be barely acceptable because of that. I think that's cute in a guy. (Like Tomoya!)
Old 2009-07-31, 00:22   Link #13
Neat Hedgehog
Hack of all trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
Guys are mistaking you for a girl when you're 19? That's pretty amazing. They must really not look for chests or anything.
You know, that's true. I hadn't noticed it before, but now I'm not really sure what they could have been thinking. For a while I used to think it might be because I had long hair, but then I found it didn't really make much difference.

The mustache tends to quell any misunderstandings these days, though.
Neat Hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-31, 00:31   Link #14
Raiga
tl;dr

I'd probably have to stop ogling cute anime girls. Pity. >:

Of course I could become lesbian...

Hey wouldn't it be wild if not just yourself, but everyone in the world was suddenly genderbent overnight?

Oh yeah, I should probably respond more fully to the OP question. Uhm, well aside from the aforementioned loss in the bishoujo department, hopefully I'd get better at drawing. I'm telling you like all the girls in my art class were better than me. See, I think what it is, is partly, they're neater. They can draw something that looks pretty darn good in a few quick strokes. I'm extremely sketchy. I can still draw something decent, but it'll be filled with planning lines and about the consistency of hay. This means I suck at sketching with a tablet, which makes me despair over what's gonna happen in college when I no longer have a scanner to allow me to trace over pencil sketches-- I digress.

You know, I'd probably look pretty good if I was a girl. I mean, judging by pictures of my mom from when she was in university. Heck, I dunno how my parents ended up with a skinny, gawky guy like me. I'm going off on a tangent again.

Uh, if I was a girl I'd probably have read Twilight by now. No sexism intended-- I read a lot of books, and if it weren't for worries about people staring at me weird, I'd have checked out the series by now, if only out of curiosity.

Gosh, if I were a girl and I dressed as haphazardly as I do now... I mean, every Asian girl I know, I'm always thinking like, how the heck do they come up with these outfits? For me in the morning it's: something to cover my upper half, something to cover my lower half, done. I'd have to develop some form of fashion sense... or perhaps fashion nonsense.

Oh dude, speaking of appearances, I'd totally have to shave my legs, too.

It's currently 1:30 AM, when I read this tomorrow I'm probably going to headdesk.
Old 2009-07-31, 01:49   Link #15
Rita
한국어 guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
I'd probably have to stop ogling cute anime girls. Pity. >:

Of course I could become lesbian...

Hey wouldn't it be wild if not just yourself, but everyone in the world was suddenly genderbent overnight?

Oh yeah, I should probably respond more fully to the OP question. Uhm, well aside from the aforementioned loss in the bishoujo department, hopefully I'd get better at drawing. I'm telling you like all the girls in my art class were better than me. See, I think what it is, is partly, they're neater. They can draw something that looks pretty darn good in a few quick strokes. I'm extremely sketchy. I can still draw something decent, but it'll be filled with planning lines and about the consistency of hay. This means I suck at sketching with a tablet, which makes me despair over what's gonna happen in college when I no longer have a scanner to allow me to trace over pencil sketches-- I digress.

You know, I'd probably look pretty good if I was a girl. I mean, judging by pictures of my mom from when she was in university. Heck, I dunno how my parents ended up with a skinny, gawky guy like me. I'm going off on a tangent again.

Uh, if I was a girl I'd probably have read Twilight by now. No sexism intended-- I read a lot of books, and if it weren't for worries about people staring at me weird, I'd have checked out the series by now, if only out of curiosity.

Gosh, if I were a girl and I dressed as haphazardly as I do now... I mean, every Asian girl I know, I'm always thinking like, how the heck do they come up with these outfits? For me in the morning it's: something to cover my upper half, something to cover my lower half, done. I'd have to develop some form of fashion sense... or perhaps fashion nonsense.

Oh dude, speaking of appearances, I'd totally have to shave my legs, too.

It's currently 1:30 AM, when I read this tomorrow I'm probably going to headdesk.
Lol, you can still ogle cute anime girls even as a girl without being a lesbian.
I mean, I like Yuri pairings, but I'm straight.
And, it doesn't matter which gender you are, it's just your experience in drawings, like not all girls are neat, some are very messy. XD
Old 2009-07-31, 02:45   Link #16
Throne Invader
Protecting the Throne

Well I certainly wouldn't want that to happen But if it did, I guess I really wouldn't be the same in a lot of ways.

I can never imagine myself being a boy

It's time to start letting her make her own decisions. - Mom's dermatologist~
Throne Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-31, 04:23   Link #17
Fate21
Kiyu~

I guess reporter will come to interview me LOL
Sometimes i want to change though, because being a girl isn't easy X)
Fate21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-31, 05:12   Link #18
FateAnomaly

Being a guy comes with their set of problem and restrictions too though.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-31, 06:37   Link #19
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

^Guys or girl, should all learn from Aikawa Kizuna and live our lives in perfect gender confusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neat Hedgehog View Post
People already regularly mistook me for a girl until I was 19, so I'm already used to guys hitting on me.
Pics or-

...never mind. I'm sorry. Move along. *cough*
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-31, 13:46   Link #20
Backwards Blues

I would consider this event to be the best day ever. c:

Well, yes and no. I've always liked the idea, but at the same time, girls have to deal with a lot more (biologically) than I ever will, but if it just spontaneously happened...I'm pretty sure I'd be elated.

I think being Ranma would be ideal. :U
Backwards Blues is offline   Reply With Quote