AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-04-06, 23:10   Link #1061
Say Neko
nekoISM

Aww, I must study. Been a while since I read #TMOHS Think I left
off on #TSOHS(7) since I dislike reading for a period of time on a #laptop.

*SNIP*

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2011-04-07 at 02:50. Reason: You can't ask for this since the novels up to 9 are licensed (forum rule 1.1)
Old 2011-04-11, 19:25   Link #1062
poivre_sel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
Yesterday, Kadokawa updated their Haruhi Specialty site with a couple of quizzes. The Alpha page has the SOS Brigade Enrollment Examination while the Beta page has the North High Entrance Examination.

The SOS Brigade Enrollment Examination involves four tasks on the literature portion and two tasks on the art portion. The literature portion asks for you to choose one of the following:
  1. List 14 days worth of activities for a summer vacation
  2. Using no more than 800 characters, write a short story involving three of the following ides (Haruhi Suzumiya, Surprise, Shamisen, One's true self, Magical Girl, slider, global scale, birthday, world, dream)
  3. Using no more than 200 characters, choose one of (alien, time traveler, esper) and write why you feel they are the best.
  4. Write what Haruhi/Kyouko Tachibana are saying in their respective images

The art portion asks you to choose one of three topics:
  1. Color the image of Haruhi Suzumiya
  2. Draw Kuyou Suou in civilian clothing using the model for reference
  3. Display the theme of The Surprise of Haruhi Suzumiya in any form, but it may stay true to the original work

On the North High Entrance Examination, there is a 50 question multiple choice quiz. In order to save space, I'm using a spoiler tag. These questions involve heavy remembrance of all 9 novels so far, thus necessitating this thread.
Spoiler:

Each question on β's quiz is worth 2 points. I got 70 on my first try with little translation. For question 10, the dates are from the official quiz and not my input. I suppose the theory that the story takes place in 2010 is now ruined.
Wow!! Thanks so much for putting up a translated version. I'm ashamed to say I failed even though I've read all the light novels within the last two months.

Anyway, I saw in this thread somewhere about reading the light novels on an iPhone. You can download an application that I use, Dropbox, a really useful online file hosting/syncing program. Both the iPhone app and the online registration are free. The app conveniently allows you to "favorite" any file you like so that you can access it and read it on your iPhone when you're offline.
Old 2011-04-13, 14:32   Link #1063
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

repost from my LN thread:

seriously i am curious how is the girl and what she look like (yes i did read vol 9 by the way)

my (wild) guess is alien esper from future

Spoiler for or:

Old 2011-04-13, 23:53   Link #1064
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

It's Imouto-chan from an alternate universe where time runs differently/she's the older sibling/whatever.

Imagine that that's already been revealed to be the case, then go back and read exactly how Kyon describes how she seems familiar to him when he's talking to her over the phone, and tell me it doesn't seem like an obvious foreshadowing...
Old 2011-04-14, 00:56   Link #1065
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Unfortunately, it'll either be a somehow younger parallel Sasaki(meaning it was inevitable that Kyon would answer a call from Sasaki), parallel older Miyokichi(explaining why some random character has a full name when Kyon doesn't even have a surname yet), or an alternate version of someone from Kyon's past we haven't met. I was going to include "younger parallel Mikuru" as an option, but that'd only cause problems.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2011-04-14, 04:58   Link #1066
Leo Keichi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
when Kyon doesn't even have a surname yet
Or a real first name, for that matter.
Old 2011-04-14, 06:10   Link #1067
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Surnames come first, and that's not just a joke on naming orders.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
Old 2011-04-17, 09:43   Link #1068
Leo Keichi

Kyon's name is one of the most well-kept secrets in SHnY. A more well-kept secret than his name would be only... Kyon's sister's name.

But I wouldn't be surprised if in the last novel there was a dialogue between Haruhi and Kyon like this:

Haruhi: By the way, Kyon, you've never told me your real name.
Kyon: Hm, and why do you want to know this now?
Haruhi: I was just asking, you don't have to tell me if you don't want it, silly.
Kyon: It's Watanabe Tomoya.
Haruhi: Watanabe... Tomoya? Such a common name! That's not funny at all! I, as the leader of the SOS Brigade, order you to change it to something more interesting!
Kyon: You wish! That's been my name my whole life, there's nothing wrong with it! Do you think you can simply go and start changing people's names now!?
Old 2011-04-17, 13:58   Link #1069
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Haruhi's right... Tomoya is such a generic name, he should change it to something cool... something like... um... Daiuchuu Ginga... hm... no, still lacking something... I know! ETHANOL!
Old 2011-04-17, 14:38   Link #1070
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Haruhi knows his real name; at least, she's heard it before. Right at the beginning, during introductions right before Haruhi went, Kyon went. And his name was probably involved.

This scene was merely not told in its entirety to the audience.
Old 2011-04-17, 21:54   Link #1071
mielipuoli

How things would be different if he'd said John Smith then...
Old 2011-04-17, 22:02   Link #1072
RandySyler
Onee-Chan Power~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
Haruhi knows his real name; at least, she's heard it before. Right at the beginning, during introductions right before Haruhi went, Kyon went. And his name was probably involved.

This scene was merely not told in its entirety to the audience.
Wow, I never really noticed that his introduction was cut.
Old 2011-04-17, 23:09   Link #1073
ijuinkun

We see him standing up and introducing himself, but we don't hear him speaking the introduction--instead we hear his narration while the introduction is muffled to near-inaudibility--we can hear that it's his voice talking in the background but not what he is saying besides the last sentence saying "yoroshiku na" (nice to meet you). It's clear enough that he introduced himself to the class despite the audience not getting to hear his full name.
Old 2011-04-18, 00:54   Link #1074
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Anime aside, his introduction to the class is similarly glossed over in the novel. But as intelligent as Haruhi is, no way she doesn't know his real name. All of the SOS-dan do, certainly, even if Haruhi's the only one who heard his no-doubt "Kyon"less introduction. The absence of his real name is far too obviously an artificial plot device, suggesting that his name is used a fair bit more than is implied.
Old 2011-04-18, 02:21   Link #1075
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
The absence of his real name is far too obviously an artificial plot device, suggesting that his name is used a fair bit more than is implied.
He even glosses over his name any other time he introduces himself as well.

Tanigawa claims it isn't important, but sometimes I wonder...
Old 2011-04-18, 06:24   Link #1076
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Keichi View Post
Kyon's name is one of the most well-kept secrets in SHnY. A more well-kept secret than his name would be only... Kyon's sister's name.

But I wouldn't be surprised if in the last novel there was a dialogue between Haruhi and Kyon like this:

Haruhi: By the way, Kyon, you've never told me your real name.
Kyon: Hm, and why do you want to know this now?
Haruhi: I was just asking, you don't have to tell me if you don't want it, silly.
Kyon: It's Watanabe Tomoya.
Haruhi: Watanabe... Tomoya? Such a common name! That's not funny at all! I, as the leader of the SOS Brigade, order you to change it to something more interesting!
Kyon: You wish! That's been my name my whole life, there's nothing wrong with it! Do you think you can simply go and start changing people's names now!?
Is this a matter of Haruhi having completley different tastes than Sasaki? Cause when she heard it she thought it was regal sounding.

OTOH, it's kind of deranged that Haruhi wouldn't know Kyon's name. They know he has a real name. Haruhi and Mikuru never bother to call him it.
Old 2011-04-18, 06:46   Link #1077
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Same with Nagato. She just calls Kyon "you" when talking to him and... never really talks to anyone else, as far as I know.
Old 2011-04-18, 08:18   Link #1078
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

There was that time when she talked to Haruhi through a door during Lone Island incident.
Old 2011-04-18, 08:47   Link #1079
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

That was more general responses than actual conversation, though. And she only responded vocally because no one could see her.
Old 2011-04-18, 12:26   Link #1080
RandySyler
Onee-Chan Power~!

At any rate, even if they did release Kyon's name, I still would think of him as simply Kyon. Just like Osaka in Azumanga Daioh, the name stuck for me.