**** 7 17.50%
***** 8 20.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2006-02-24, 16:58   Link #1
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Post Episode 173 Discussion

Welcome to this week's episode discussion thread posted on Wednesday, or soon after, since it airs on that day in Japan.

Thread guidelines:

* No telling/asking where to find raws/subs.
* No mentioning of group names.
* No spoilers.
* No off-topicness.
* Discuss your expectations of the episode if not aired.
* Discuss your comments on the episode.

Just to make it clear there is to be no making new topics about the two last guidelines cited above. They will be systematically closed down because this thread was created so all the posts regarding these topics would be in one place.

Furthermore, please remember that only moderators can start the episode discussion threads every week.
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-24, 17:24   Link #2
Ziv

so.... where did that fire kunai come from? didn't naruto just get back from swimming in the ocean?
Ziv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-24, 20:22   Link #3
EadTaes
The Northern Guy

Send a message via AIM to EadTaes Send a message via MSN to EadTaes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziv
so.... where did that fire kunai come from? didn't naruto just get back from swimming in the ocean?
The Fire Kunai like u call it was just a Kunai with an explosive note. Wich doesn't care if it's wet or not. It will blow up on quet period.

On ratign the eps and the act it self i have to say this wa sthe best filler act so far and probably will remaint he best for a long time.
EadTaes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-24, 21:54   Link #4
Pakxenon
popcorn

5/5 for such a filler. I'm glad the filler team pulled it together from last week's crap. Animation was stable, and the story was good. The ending was bland, though.
Pakxenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-24, 22:54   Link #5
The Valeyard
Kikaichuu!!

Send a message via MSN to The Valeyard
Although the episode wasn't perfect, it was good enough to make this one of the better filler arcs, nearly on par with the bug one. The animation was slightly better, and the story progessed into a suitable ending. Fantastic to see Shino win, although he nearly didn't. But it was worth it for a classic Shino-esq line:

'Don't turn your back on the enemy. You've forgotten the basic rules of combat. You lose'.

FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, the only sad not is that becuase i don't read the manga, i have no idea when Shino will appear again, as its unlikely he will in the next few episodes. I suspect this is probably the last of the larger filler arcs, and it is a good one to close this part of Naruto's filler history.

4/5
The Valeyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-24, 22:59   Link #6
EadTaes
The Northern Guy

Yeah it's also interestign that teh brought back the girl to. I guest they brought her back so that the anime team could use her again in the future for making more fillers. I mean they can play a whole bunch of scene form her pass and Oro's influenc eon it without interfering with Kishi's story line. Seems they migth be growing a brain and planing ahead. :P
Old 2006-02-24, 23:28   Link #7
Blaster

Why do they always skip fights?

I do like how they finish up Anko's story.
Blaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-24, 23:51   Link #8
k4r1

Send a message via AIM to k4r1
throughout this whole story arc, i was expecting more action from Anko... although Naruto always gets the spotlight so... =/

hehehe... I wonder how many people picked up this certain "subliminal" scene
k4r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-25, 00:37   Link #9
full metal x

This ep was pretty good and all but i have a feeling that naruto gonna end like Prince of Tennis the anime. Naruto have lots of filler arcs already i mean 40 or more consecutive filler ep that is alot.
full metal x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-25, 01:18   Link #10
EadTaes
The Northern Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by k4r1

Care to give the Eps and or Time in the eps this occure. Because i just rewatched eps 173 and didn't see it.
Old 2006-02-25, 07:30   Link #11
avangion

Episode 173 Synopsis: Sea Battle! A Power That’s Released Over Time
Kyuubi-mode Naruto beats up Amachi and faints. Isaribi rescues him from the water. Shino is low on chakra, but defeats the other bad guy who is distracted by Ino. Amachi is captured by Anko. The Sea Boss returns, but Naruto summons the Toad Boss who spew oil to burn it to death. Isaribi refused to turn on Naruto, and Amachi reveals he doesn’t know how to turn her back to normal. Amachi is to be taken back to Konoha for judgment. Anko goes to a house where she remembers Orochimaru watching her young self suffering from the cursed seal. He said that only one out of ten survives and that she lacks the will to power, hate, vengeance, etc. She leaves the house, realizing she wasn’t abandoned, but she chose it herself. They took a ship back home with Isaribi, who is promised to be healed by Konoha’s medical ninjas.

Episode 174 Preview: The Celebrity Ninja – Golden Escape Technique
New Filler Arc - “Advisor’s bodyguard. That sounds nice! Finally, a worthy mission has come for Naruto-sama to show off his full power! Wait up, Onzoushi. Since I have come here, it does not matter whether I am in the fire or in the water- Huh? Could it be that this is only a D-rank mission?! I can’t believe it!” RM Preview also available at http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/anime/naruto/story_f.html

DB Fillers Countdown: To continue for another 6 weeks.
avangion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-25, 09:51   Link #12
evil-samurai

One thing to say before anything

Dragon ball Z I'm sure I wasn't the only one thinking that at the start with naruto fighting

Didn't comment about Episode 172, though i have to say it wasn't good in all ways :/ and.. Anko losing like that.. :/ but this time it was much better.

This episode the animation was pretty good though.. the character faces took a hit at times, I didn't think the Frog boss would get summomed that easy, but when they had him on screen it was alright, also I liked how they pulled at the end with Naruto wanted to hit that guy, but Anko says no then Anko gets a turn but I have to say the ending was music was kinda Very! Crappy! after hearing the music from the Flashback to the crap at the end, I couldn't stop laughing.

Overall the Arc was pretty good. Nearly all the flashback parts with Anko were around 5/5 material; the atmoshere with the music & Oro's voice was amazing. But one big downside to the Arc for me was not seeing much of Anko in action kicking ass since I was hoping the whole time to see more of her ^^;; and also all the non-animated fights, flow of the whole Arc ect... were a downside. Things went from Great to Poor in this whole filler Arc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by k4r1
hehehe I noticed something looking like that, but didn't pause it at the time to get a good look at it, I was going to go back to it but I forgot ^^;;

@ EadTaes It was in Episode 173, and it was in the scene were Anko hits that guy timeframe 13:35

Last edited by evil-samurai; 2006-02-25 at 10:03.
evil-samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-25, 12:23   Link #13
EadTaes
The Northern Guy

Oh wow that scene is just there for a split second.
Old 2006-02-25, 12:29   Link #14
lavielove

Isaribi looked more cute in this episode

@evil-samurai. I think Naruto was high in power in this episode, I noticed that when Kyubi was bursted out from him. I think calling "a monster" or something towards to Isaribi kind of bugged him.
lavielove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-25, 12:39   Link #15
CygnusX

Yeah really, ofcourse that was over the top DBZ'like. First charging up till he shines bright red and his his hair rises like that. After that he flies in the air, just like in DBZ, stamping that fish like enemy into the ground, and when he's beaten him. They zoom in to Naruto, standing there, furiously. Notice even his hais shrinks again .
Wish someone could make screenshots of that.

Ah well nothing to do about that. Guess you can explain it like walking on water, only walking in the air is a bit harder and needs better chakra control ...

Though many of the scenes were simply absurd, it still made me laugh from time to time, and I think that was what made the naruto series attractive in the first place: the action combined with the humour.

For a filler it entertained me quite well, Naruto summoned Gama Bunta too easy, but the combi-move with Gama Bunta was nice, shows how naruto sort of trains with him and improves. Also the ending with Anko, realsing she chose to leave Oro was nice. 2 things I don't like: Anko, a jounin, being defeated so easy many times and I also hate that the animators always make up those freaks to fight.
CygnusX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-25, 14:34   Link #16
Missilebuster
gg, uninstall

hmmm with naruto moving through the air like that... does that mean his kyubi self knows some new techniques like exploding chakra to fly!?!?
Missilebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-25, 14:35   Link #17
Yellow Flash
Banned

Shino is one of the weakest Konoha Ninjas.
Yellow Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-25, 17:34   Link #18
The Valeyard
Kikaichuu!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Flash
Shino is one of the weakest Konoha Ninjas.
Excellent contribution to the discussion.
Old 2006-02-25, 17:36   Link #19
Yellow Flash
Banned

It is an important contribution since the anime could be misleading.
Yellow Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-25, 17:47   Link #20
The Valeyard
Kikaichuu!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Flash
It is an important contribution since the anime could be misleading.
This thread is not about whether or not the anime is misleading. It is a discussion on episode 173.

Read the thread guidelines.