AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2010-05-02, 03:38   Link #1641
Jarmel

So basically there is a good chance that we might have another Bones's style ending? Oh god.
Jarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-02, 04:19   Link #1642
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmel View Post
So basically there is a good chance that we might have another Bones's style ending? Oh god.
No. We are going to think positive and not even entertain that thought. We'll be getting our chapter 108 manga ending in early June, and our episode 63 anime ending, covering the same stuff, on the 27th of June.

Besides, there are too many references to really current stuff in the OP for there to be divergent endings. There might be some slight changes, as the storyboard guy does the same thing slightly different than Arakawa does, since they're both working concurrently, but it will be the same story. It has to be.

Last edited by quigonkenny; 2010-05-02 at 05:05.
quigonkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-02, 04:33   Link #1643
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
No. There is zero chance of that.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-02, 06:11   Link #1644
Alleria

On a completely different train of thought, I'm going to go on a bit of a rant here, since I'm usually a silent watcher and this has been bugging me for some time now... So this is my theory for what happens to Al, the Gate and the Truth. I do apologise if this has been brought up before

The 'fee' for opening the Gate is a soul. Ed/Al - Al's soul. Izumi - internal organs (including the ability to have any more children, so presumably womb/orvaries). Mustang - Doctor Alchemist. Hohenheim - well, the entire country of Xeres... The other removals (leg, extra organs, eyesight) are what is taken in order to gain the knowledge from Truth. Both would only happen once - the toll is paid, thus they are able to pass through several times (as evidenced by Father dragging them through) and the Truth is only shown once.

As such, Al didn't lose his body to the Gate, he lost his soul, which was briefly attached to the creature that they created whilst attempting transmutation on their mother (possibly allowing Truth access to the human world, as no other souls have stayed alive to explain what happened). The body remained on the other side of the Gate, his soul sped back to meet it but was intercepted by Ed (probably saving Al's life) and thus his body remains in front of the Gate whereas Ed's arm and leg do not - they remain on his own personal Truth. It's a source of debate whether Al had survived seeing the Truth as Ed was able to land back before the Gate prior to having his leg removed, Al was still within the Truth when he lost his body.

Hohenheim had already mentioned to Izumi that he cannot return her missing body parts, as this was her proof of payment before Truth (or 'lost flesh symbolises sins'). I assume then that this would also go for Ed and Mustang. However, given that Armour-Al has met Body-Al (or Truth-Al??) it is likely that he will be able to have the two meet again, however it seems impossible to have the body come to the human side of the Gate without further human transmutation.

This being the case, Alphonse can't get his body out of the Gate. If he goes back into the Gate and merges his soul with his body, he will be stuck inside the Gate. Thus the comment from Al's body in Chapter 102 - 'Your return may bring nothing but despair and ruin, Alphonse', leading the belief that should he come back something catastrophic would have happened, and he would not be able to get through the Gate. This is possibly as he would have no longer 'paid the toll' and so would not be able to leave, or possibly that he would hve to perform human transmutation again in order to open the Gate, thus costing his soul or anothers.

This would also explain the use of Hawkeye as bait for Mustang, as she was clearly alive when the homunclus pestered him into transmuting her.

Edward will use one of the souls that he absorbed from Pride (as he declared 'You're mine, Pride!') to reopen the Gate. I don't believe that Al will come through the Gate as 'God', and I also don't believe that he won't lose something in exchange for witnessing the Truth. But I'm looking forward to seeing what happens, even if I'm completely off!

This is what happens when it's late on a Sunday night... Hope it makes sense!
Alleria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-02, 06:14   Link #1645
Jarmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
No. There is zero chance of that.
However from what you're saying, is that they're already working on the last episode and we don't know for sure that 108 is the final chapter. If 108 or 109 isn't the final then it certainly seems that we got ourselves another Bones Original Ending*.

*Trademark Pending
Old 2010-05-02, 07:10   Link #1646
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
However from what you're saying, is that they're already working on the last episode and we don't know for sure that 108 is the final chapter. If 108 or 109 isn't the final then it certainly seems that we got ourselves another Bones Original Ending*.

*Trademark Pending
Who ep63 has to actually have an ending? It's just the last episode being broadcast on TV.
Old 2010-05-02, 07:11   Link #1647
Jarmel

Quote:
Who ep63 has to actually have an ending? It's just the last episode being broadcast on TV.
Now there goes down an unhappy road. So you're suggesting an OVA finish? That would be interesting.
Old 2010-05-02, 15:16   Link #1648
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleria View Post
Edward will use one of the souls that he absorbed from Pride (as he declared 'You're mine, Pride!') to reopen the Gate. I don't believe that Al will come through the Gate as 'God', and I also don't believe that he won't lose something in exchange for witnessing the Truth. But I'm looking forward to seeing what happens, even if I'm completely off!
Problem is, that's not what Ed said, at least not the way you're reading it. He's not saying "you're mine" in the manner that Pride is now a part of him or belongs to him; he's saying "you're mine" in the manner that a cop would use once he's caught a criminal. The verb used, tsukumaeru, means to catch, or arrest, or seize. A different translation might be "I caught you, Pride!!", but that doesn't quite have the same ring to it.

As for the souls as toll theory, I don't think that's going to end up being how it worked. For one, your method even as described notes (by omission) that Izumi clearly paid the toll without spending any souls, just organs. And unfortunately there are all kinds of problems with the idea of Al's soul being used to attempt to raise Trisha, primarily that by your logic, not only was the Gate handing out a two-for-one deal on Truth that day, but they didn't accept payment. I think a more likely possibility is that there has to be a toll to cross the Gate, but that toll can include physical components and/or souls.

Or, and this is my personal favorite, it takes something symbolizing what is important to that person. From Hohenheim, it took his humanity. From Izumi it took her ability to have children. From Ed, the headstrong big brother, it took his ability to be a steady (able to stand) presence for remaining family. From Al, the more gentle little brother, it took his ability to touch or feel. And from Roy it took the ability to ever see the future he envisions for his country.
Old 2010-05-02, 22:00   Link #1649
Matt122005

Quote:
Now there goes down an unhappy road. So you're suggesting an OVA finish? That would be interesting.
Who says it has to be an OVA ending?

I think we can't doubt the possibility that the show will take a "broadcasting break" for a bit until Arakawa finishes the manga. It's happened with shows before.
Matt122005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-02, 22:56   Link #1650
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt122005 View Post
Who says it has to be an OVA ending?

I think we can't doubt the possibility that the show will take a "broadcasting break" for a bit until Arakawa finishes the manga. It's happened with shows before.
The point is, there isn't much left in the manga. It's definitely ending, and the TV series will cover up to the point the manga is now at, at the very least. So there isn't enough content left for a movie, or even another 11 episodes. If it does not end in ep63 (which I actually doubt, it makes no sense to make a 63 episode long series and not end it), it will end in either an OVA, OAD or TV special. There can't possibly be more than 2-3 episodes worth of content left in the manga, if even that. There are no more villains left aside from the final boss, and everyone is gathered in one single location, and they're not going to be moving anywhere or going on any new adventure.
Old 2010-05-02, 23:07   Link #1651
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
The point is, there isn't much left in the manga. It's definitely ending, and the TV series will cover up to the point the manga is now at, at the very least. So there isn't enough content left for a movie, or even another 11 episodes. If it does not end in ep63 (which I actually doubt, it makes no sense to make a 63 episode long series and not end it), it will end in either an OVA, OAD or TV special. There can't possibly be more than 2-3 episodes worth of content left in the manga, if even that. There are no more villains left aside from the final boss, and everyone is gathered in one single location, and they're not going to be moving anywhere or going on any new adventure.
Agreed. All signs point to Father getting taken care of in ch107, and ch108 being left to mop up all the non-Father threads (the boys' bodies, the fate of the Amestris government, etc.). Father already threw and connected with his ultimate weapon (F-F-Faazaa Bii~mu!!), so we know we're only one protagonist recovery away from his end.
Old 2010-05-03, 06:13   Link #1652
OMG_Zerg_Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleria View Post

This being the case, Alphonse can't get his body out of the Gate. If he goes back into the Gate and merges his soul with his body, he will be stuck inside the Gate. Thus the comment from Al's body in Chapter 102 - 'Your return may bring nothing but despair and ruin, Alphonse', leading the belief that should he come back something catastrophic would have happened
Sorry if i miss read your post, but i was under the impression that his body ment that Als return to the real world would bring despair as then father would have all the sacrifices he needed.
Old 2010-05-04, 15:53   Link #1653
Orangejellosphere
That one guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG_Zerg_Rush View Post
Sorry if i miss read your post, but i was under the impression that his body ment that Als return to the real world would bring despair as then father would have all the sacrifices he needed.
That's what I thought when I read it.
Old 2010-05-05, 08:39   Link #1654
bahamut zero
miragecoordinator

Quote:
code geass says hi
Old 2010-05-05, 20:22   Link #1655
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamut zero View Post
code geass says hi
Please never compare Fullmetal Alchemist to Code Geass again.

I know you were just comparing the situation of having to possibly wait for the last episode but still....... (at least that is what I hope the comparison is).
Old 2010-05-06, 08:34   Link #1656
bahamut zero
miragecoordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Please never compare Fullmetal Alchemist to Code Geass again.

I know you were just comparing the situation of having to possibly wait for the last episode but still....... (at least that is what I hope the comparison is).
Yes, that was it. But I don't get why you dislike the comparision, I mean, both series have a few things in common. And the first season of CG was quite decent, it was R2 that was bullshit.
Old 2010-05-06, 08:50   Link #1657
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamut zero View Post
Yes, that was it. But I don't get why you dislike the comparision, I mean, both series have a few things in common. And the first season of CG was quite decent, it was R2 that was bullshit.
I don't think they have anything in common except maybe on a superficial level (and I personally don't think even season 1 of Code Geass is comparable to FMA in terms of quality.)

But if we start comparing and contrasting Code Geass to FMA we are bound to get way off topic so let's not get into it.

edit: In case it wasn't clear (and it obviously wasn't from a response I got about this) I was only half joking in my reply to bahamut zero. No I don't really like Code Geass all that much (I was serious about that) but I was joking about never bringing up Code Geass in relation to FMA.

Last edited by Kirarakim; 2010-05-06 at 16:12.
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-06, 11:35   Link #1658
ellifeedn
Thinker

Well there's confirmation that 108 is the magic number.
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-06, 20:19   Link #1659
tzia_n
Lurker

Send a message via Yahoo to tzia_n
There's supposedly a report that FMA is ending in 2 months. So 108 is probably correct.

Source
tzia_n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-07, 03:56   Link #1660
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzia_n View Post
There's supposedly a report that FMA is ending in 2 months. So 108 is probably correct.

Source
Yeah we've been talking about it in the spoiler thread, so a lot of people already know.