AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-07-10, 16:38   Link #121
bbee

Okay, it's a matter of personal preference.
I never dismiss any character that I feel has depth, nor do I find any such character tedious. The show could have just as well been about a butcher with a corner shop in the area, or about a callgirl working that corner; if they had been introduced with the same amount of subtlety and displayed the same range of emotion as our current protagonists, I would have been just as pleased. Being kids, there will be opportunity for them to mature through the ordeal. As an introduction to the characters (which is what every first episode needs to do), whatever you may think of them, I hardly see how they could have done better.

You just don't like angsty teenagers for some reason
bbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-10, 16:40   Link #122
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Well some character introductions were needed, which they did portray very realistically but I personally got little enjoyment from watching a brat on screen who is currently at the start of her rebellious age. Granted it was done correctly and realistically I didn't expect the whole ordeal to last the entire length of the episode with the earthquake coming at the end in a "half hearted" sort of way. If anything it was more of an anti climax than imagined since it was predictable that they tried to put the earthquake shocker in the end...well it could have been more exciting if the title of the series didn't give away the thought behind it in the first place or that so little of the earthquake had been shown. It was a pretty average start all around and probably not something I was expecting (in a negative way).

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-10, 16:45   Link #123
Lostdreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
Well, what can i say ... not much i suppose, because the episode nearly bored me to tears While there is obviously the need to introduce some characters through whom the catastrophe will be explored, but i really couldn't stomach just how flat out tedious the atmosphere felt. I suppose they wanted a reflection of the life as felt by our female protagonist, but i honestly can't think of a more boring way at the moment than to spend 20 minutes following around a bratty teenager and her dissatisfaction with everything around her. I mean ... i came for the earthquake, but ended up with a disgruntled teenager. Realistic as it might be for her age, it lasted for way too long to keep my interest going.

Animation and design wise this series has very little to brag about either - it looks unimpressive for the most part, save for some specific moments. Character designs are very minimalistic and generally gives gives off a "low key" vibe. That is to say, this show was not much to look at either - there were scenes that looked genuinely nice (like the bridge), but generally very little to write home about. It gets the job done for the mood of the show, but nothing really impressive.

Overall ...i dunno, if asked to summarize my thoughts on the episode in one word, i would say "boring". I guess i was expecting something else for the show that was supposed to be about an earthquake. I mean, yes - we are getting there, but i can't say these 20 minutes did anything to raise my interest in the premise. I was waiting for an earthquake before the first episode, and i still am. Lets see what the next episode does once we actually get there, but this one did very little for me personally.
I have to agree with starfall here. Not my preference, watching some teenager going through puberty. This breaks from the traditional weeeh all fun and happy anime type genre, and it's boring. There's a reason I believe that there aren't that many "serious" animes out there. They're boring, and they don't attract many people to watch the anime. This anime is for older people who are interested in serious things, and treat animes like movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbee View Post
Okay, it's a matter of personal preference.
I never dismiss any character that I feel has depth, nor do I find any such character tedious. The show could have just as well been about a butcher with a corner shop in the area, or about a callgirl working that corner; if they had been introduced with the same amount of subtlety and displayed the same range of emotion as our current protagonists, I would have been just as pleased. Being kids, there will be opportunity for them to mature through the ordeal. As an introduction to the characters (which is what every first episode needs to do), whatever you may think of them, I hardly see how they could have done better.

You just don't like angsty teenagers for some reason
Do you find angsty teenagers fun?
Lostdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-10, 17:41   Link #124
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
Well, what can i say ... not much i suppose, because the episode nearly bored me to tears....
I know what you mean. When I saw the first couple of minutes, I was ready to run: I have seen shows before with this look and pacing that I thought were boring.

But I didn't think so here. I thought they nailed the characters in a way that actually reached me. The brat's antics didn't alienate me, they sucked me in, so that I can feel her complex dissatisfaction. Good stuff so far, for me.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-10, 18:23   Link #125
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Disaster movies in my anime?!?

Ah well once I got past that rather large stigma I enjoyed the episode quite abit...Now lets see where they can go with this setup eh.

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-10, 19:04   Link #126
DeadlySoldier37
The players president

I was interested in watching this anime because I have lived through an earthquake and I have to say that it was one of the scariest things that I have ever lived through. The episode it self was not bad since you get to see the girls problem, but what I'm looking forward is how she will deal with the aftermath since that is the toughest part at least in my opinion.
DeadlySoldier37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-10, 19:29   Link #127
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
For a show promising tension and exciting scenes, it sure was very slow with its first episode.
I was expecting quite the contrary actually. Outside the earthquake, I am expecting a heavy focus on drama and character development. Won't mind if they decide to include tension and exciting scenes, though.

And yeah, I do enjoyed this first episode.
Old 2009-07-10, 19:54   Link #128
Rawr:3
Kabang. ★

Send a message via AIM to Rawr:3
I very much enjoyed the first episode. But it's a bit too early to really judge the content of the whole anime. In terms of the progression, I believe it's just slow in the first episode, it did at least show us a flashback of the aftermath from the earthquake. I wouldn't expect the first scene to come up and BAM, an earthquake smacks into the screen.

The characters, I have a feeling it's supposed to relate to a typical Japanese family? I don't know anything about Japanese family so I won't know. But I'm guessing its supposed to show the distress of a certain girl in her adolescent years. Mirai is actually a very well-rounded character. She's a bit rebellious, but she has her own way of thinking. As for her depressing nature, I'm sure she will grow out of it. Even though she seems to dislike everything around her, I can't help but actually feel her depression. They really grasp that aspect in a person really well. Again, you can't expect to know the whole anime OR an anime character from just watching one episode. I will be waiting for a personality growth spurt :P

I was actually impressed by the animation, it wasn't the best, but I can tell that they tried to really use a simulator and draw the scenes from it. Overall, I expect great things from this series :3 Now if they made a subforum for it...

Edit: Ahh...seems like theres going to be alot of controversies with this anime, then again which anime doesn't have? ^^;;

Last edited by Rawr:3; 2009-07-10 at 20:05.
Rawr:3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-10, 20:27   Link #129
wOoOzZy
Master Blaster

Wow. There seems to be a lot of mixed reviews on this one which I didn't expect at all while watching the 1st episode. I thought the first episode was awesome. Much better than the first episode of anything that I've seen this season (Canaan/Bakemonogatari). I liked Mirai and her brother despite the fact that I normally don't like the angsty teen character.

Now that I think about it, the pacing of the first episode reminds me a lot of Saikano. Big slice of life (with 'different' character designs) for most of the episode and then BAM! They hit you with what the shows really about at the last second. I like.

I really can't think of any complaints that I had while watching the episode. I hope that they keep it up in the following episodes and it be a shame to have a big drop off after such a good first episode.
wOoOzZy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-10, 20:37   Link #130
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Ep 1

I liked what I saw from this ep.

The portrayal of the family was one of the most fascinating and realistic I've seen in anime for a long time. There was this thick tension that you could almost cut with a knife, and the interactions were filled with it, with the characters often behaving in an almost passive-aggressive way. It really made the point clear, that this is a family that's pretty much loveless and dead on the inside and on the cusp of breaking up, and the only reason they're still together at this point is probably because it's more convenient to stay together and keep the current equilibrium than it is to break up. Everyone pretty much takes everyone else for granted. (It's kinda like the anti-Clannad ).

I think, given the set up, there's a bit of an inevitability about where this is going, character-wise, but the set up strongly suggests that they're not going to skimp on the character development between all the destruction and tsunamis and sickness and whatever other consequences of a massive earthquake they can think up. If "realism" is what they're aiming for, then so far I'd say they're on track. (Although, I guess one has to suspend their disbelief just enough to accept that all these bad things are going to happen one after another, but that's hardly implausible).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostdreams View Post
This anime is for older people who are interested in serious things, and treat animes like movies.
Awesome. Sounds good.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-10, 20:54   Link #131
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
I have to agree with [Skyfall] here. Not my preference, watching some teenager going through puberty. This breaks from the traditional weeeh all fun and happy anime type genre, and it's boring. There's a reason I believe that there aren't that many "serious" animes out there. They're boring, and they don't attract many people to watch the anime. This anime is for older people who are interested in serious things, and treat animes like movies.
Well I guess if anyone here qualifies as an "older person who is interested in serious things," it's me, though I don't think serious need mean boring at all. As an example, I can't think of more than one episode of Monster that came even close to inducing boredom. Rather I was so drawn into the story that I watched all 74 episodes in just a few sittings.

That said, I lean toward the camp that found this episode boring. Mirai's persistent negativity quickly became tedious. My favorite character in the show so far is Yuuki, though the biker lady holds some promise.
Spoiler for preview for next week:
I pretty much hated the generic models used for the children from the outset; the adults display more character, even the father who appears on screen for only a few moments.

I hope this show doesn't just trudge down a rather obvious road where the three main characters simply become a warm surrogate family as they face survivial after the quake. That would be boring because of its predictability and lack of drama. I do think it's worth watching a few more episodes to see whether Bones can avoid this trap.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-10, 20:55   Link #132
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

ehhh quite meh I guess, it actually follows disaster 101 by the book by showing the very casual life of a character before the big time. Then afterwards something stupid should follow

2 things about disaster stuff

1. There needs to a old man of sorts, that just somehow knows how to deal with the aftermath of such a disaster.

2. The "do" and "do not" scenes. Scenes that show up where you think "OMG why the hell didn't you do <what your suposed to do>" or "OMG please no, don't tell me he is gonna do that?!"

2nd one is something you have to hate but it wouldn't feel like a disaster story without them
Old 2009-07-10, 21:04   Link #133
wao
OK.

I personally enjoyed this episode - lots of characters can get on my nerves for being overly negative, but I found Mirai's version to be quite believable and not particularly grating. Even Yuuki didn't seem particularly artificial to me, either. Perhaps because I don't interact with kids that much, I dunno. I'm fine with it.

As an episode on it's own I think it was pretty good enough; that's how I'd like slice of life to be done. But the biggest question mark would be how the rest of the show goes, really. I don't actually mind if they go down the rehashed old route of the three becoming a surrogate family - I can't particularly think of many other realistic alternatives - as long as they do it in a watchable way.

I think if they keep it up it could be a pretty decent anime; something pleasant and good to watch on the weekend. It kind of brings me back to watching Saturday morning cartoons, where you don't give a damn about trying to pre-guess everything but enjoy watching the characters interact.
Perhaps I merely did myself a favour by coming in with fewer preconceptions, that's it...
Old 2009-07-10, 22:50   Link #134
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Wow. 11/10 for me - that was a first episode that was perfect in every way.

Spoiler for 01:

On a side note, having visited Big Sight this year on my first trip to Tokyo, I can sympathize with Yuuki - that walk is long, and even in March it felt hot. Everything on Odaiba seems to be about ten times farther away than you think it is.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-10, 22:51   Link #135
Jarmel

I really enjoyed this episode and I thought it was a very good character introduction. Can't wait till shit hits the fan next week. Scourging for food and medical supplies. Chaos on the loose. Good times ahead.
Jarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-10, 22:57   Link #136
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

meh, the girl annoyed me. i know there's a stage in life where everyone wants something to happen to them, but when it actually happens, they have no clue what to do. people don't get how important things are in life until they're not there any more.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-10, 23:07   Link #137
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Wow, I intentionally limited my views on this thread before I'd seen the episode, and I'm surprised to see almost as many bad reviews as stellar ones. Obviously I thought this was great - the best first ep of the entire year for me, never mind the season. I can't help but be reminded of Seirei no Moribito (the series I exalt above all others) in that in both cases the reasons I loved them are the very same reasons many are citing for why they found them boring.

I've already seen this compared to Eden of the East (directed by Kenji Kamiyama of Moribito fame, to bring this full circle) which is quite natural - both series released by big-time quality-oriented studios, both featuring gorgeous Tokyo cityscapes and similar character designs. But where I always found Eden to be emotionally false, right from the beginning - if never less than intriguing - this one rang completely true to me. They absolutely nailed the character dynamics AFAIC. My hope is that this will develop into the love affair for me that I'd hoped Eden would be, although I suspect it won't be nearly as popular for the reasons the negative reviewers have already cited. That's fine - I'm used to disagreeing with majority opinion when it comes to anime so no reason this time should be any different...

Last edited by Guardian Enzo; 2009-07-11 at 11:36.
Old 2009-07-10, 23:09   Link #138
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
There's a reason I believe that there aren't that many "serious" animes out there. They're boring, and they don't attract many people to watch the anime. This anime is for older people who are interested in serious things, and treat animes like movies.
And kids tie themselves into such knots whenever someone tells them "anime is for kids".

I love that quote so much that I'm definitely going to repeat it the next time some petulant anime fan decides to complain (again) about how adults aren't treating anime "seriously".

When the disclaimer said that a lot of research had been done for the show, I had not expected some of it to also go into exploring the relationships within a normal family with two working parents. As quite a few people have already mentioned, Mirai's feelings and behaviour are surprisingly realistic for an anime, or even live-action drama for that matter. At a time when popular anime fall back on familiar and overused tropes to appeal to its main audience (petulant otakus with short attention spans), it's refreshing to see an anime attempting to be "real".

And, no, I don't think Mirai's family is "dysfunctional" either. It's just a normal family going through the normal stress that normal families go through, especially when both parents are working. It's curious: I would have expected a predominantly younger audience to relate easily with the angst a teenager goes through but, judging by some of the posts here, it seems generally the opposite.

Hello, kids, we were all teenagers once. If you feel Mirai is "unlikeable", imagine what others were thinking about you at her age.

So, yes, count me in as part of the minority that prefers serious anime for serious adults. This show seems very promising, although I wonder why they made it an animation when it could have been more effective as a live drama. The only reason I can think of at the moment is the lack of budget to create the Hollywood-quality of special effects to make the disaster work on screen (and, which, in any case, has already been done to death in recent disaster movies, both made in the United States and Japan).
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-10, 23:14   Link #139
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Well said, TRL. This series has real written all over it - some of the best dialogue and most authentic characters since Moribito (again, boring to many because it was too "serious"). It's only one ep and it could all fall apart quickly, but I see potential for true greatness - the force is strong with this one.
Old 2009-07-10, 23:23   Link #140
Zippicus

This has a pretty promising start for me. I didn't find myself bored or wanting to fast forward the video or anything. I'm looking forward to all the craziness that's sure to follow.
Zippicus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bones, japan, noitamina, tragedy