AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2008-01-20, 02:45   Link #1
Satomi87
Banned

Worst trend you ever saw in anime?

Basically I need to use spoiler button to hide my opinion because it contained too many spoilers. Please do not mind the peculiar thread initiation. Just click the spoiler to find it out...

Spoiler for Worst trend I ever shaw...:

I hope somebody else will disagree with me...
Satomi87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-20, 02:58   Link #2
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satomi87 View Post
Basically I need to use spoiler button to hide my opinion because it contained too many spoilers. Please do not mind the peculiar thread initiation. Just click the spoiler to find it out...

Spoiler for Worst trend I ever shaw...:

I hope somebody else will disagree with me...
Spoiler:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-20, 03:06   Link #3
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
In no particular order.

Really Sugary Carbon Copy J-Pop OP/ED in anime where they clearly don't belong, but are there to sell CD's. In fact, any instance that exists in an anime to sell a CD. Guiltiest perpatrator it seems is Yui Horie. I've come to dread her presence in an anime because often I'm treated to at least one music video within an episode, be it the opening, ending or one actually placed in an episode (See Manabi Straight).

Second, endings deliberately designed to make you cry or feel shocked just for the hell of it. I can understand the concept of a bittersweet ending, but when something is so carefully constructed as to make you feel a certain way, but with no real purpose in doing so (School Days, Kanon, Clannad, Myself; Yourself, Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien, H20 is looking like it'll be the latest, and still the list goes on) I feel somewhat empty and let down. Stop it already writers, these types of endings or occurances are meant to enhance the mood and characters of a series for the purpose of further growth, not be the mood and purpose of the characters in a series. Once is alright, but enough already. I guess this is the same as what people refer to as "Nice Boat".

Third, arbitrary censorship. Lately a wave of censorship has swept across Japan that has greatly affected the airing of a number of series, resulting in delays, blacked out or altered scenes and censored audio, except when it's not. It seems completely random and half the time done to tempt people into purchasing uncensored DVD's. In fact just this week I believe Shigofumi received some form of alteration to it's story.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-20, 10:07   Link #4
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Long live the Nice Boat trend I say

*duck and cover*

One of the more recent annoying trends at the moment is the stream of screwed up parenting or crazy adults. The amount of situations where the parents are the ones responsible for screwing up the minds of the younger generation has been on the increase - so much that it is becoming cliche

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-20, 10:36   Link #5
Oppius
Banned

Blatant product placement. Should I explain about this?

Spoiler for See the best example...:
Oppius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-20, 11:27   Link #6
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Everything becoming cuter and more moe.

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-20, 11:45   Link #7
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Please stop with these bishounen characters, it's really creepy for me when a male characters are prettier then the female characters (yes it's exaggeration but still).
Old 2008-01-20, 12:14   Link #8
Blaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amex_Yohko View Post

Pizza hut and Darker than Black is a better example. This scene never appeared in Maria-sama ga Miteru.
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-20, 12:22   Link #9
Ziv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amex_Yohko View Post

Now I want to go to Pizza Hut.
Ziv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-20, 12:24   Link #10
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
Pizza hut and Darker than Black is a better example. This scene never appeared in Maria-sama ga Miteru.
There is also the Pizza Hut with Code Geass, the Pizza Hut pretty much appeared in nearly all episode.
Old 2008-01-20, 12:42   Link #11
Ziv

Colonel Sanders seems to appear in a lot of anime. From the top of my head: Chobits, Pani Poni Dash, and Midori no Hibi.
Ziv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-20, 12:52   Link #12
X10A_Freedom

Well, to expand on the "Nice Boat", there's a new otaku-lingo which is called "Yandere" referring to shy, nice girls suddenly turning violent. The Yandere phenomenon which School Days really brought out is a very disturbing trend in my opinion.

There's a video game (love sim?) based on yanderes which is out or already out.

Last edited by X10A_Freedom; 2008-01-20 at 15:35.
X10A_Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-20, 12:52   Link #13
Grimkill7
Inattentive Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziv
Colonel Sanders seems to appear in a lot of anime. From the top of my head: Chobits, Pani Poni Dash, and Midori no Hibi.
Add Higurashi to that list, though they were being pretty obvious about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim
Everything becoming cuter and more moe.
Agreed, agreed, AGREED! What happened to the time when characters were judged based on their personal merits and character interaction rather than by how many times they could tack on meaningless sound effects at the end of their sentences per episode? It's a shame really.

Last edited by Grimkill7; 2008-01-20 at 13:48. Reason: Added quote
Grimkill7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-20, 13:34   Link #14
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Bishounen and "emo", self-loathing, you name it, characters.
Where are my Ryo Saeba and Kenshiro? Where is my womanizing carefree Cobra?
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-20, 13:56   Link #15
Lintendo

At the moment, emphasis on lolis seem to come to mind. Seems that every anime forum I go to have a good amount of loli-following by rabid fanboys.
Lintendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-20, 14:06   Link #16
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
What happened to the time when characters were judged based on their personal merits and character interaction rather than by how many times they could tack on meaningless sound effects at the end of their sentences per episode? It's a shame really.
Well, it still happens occasionally, when the characters are from a series where moe and cuteness do not replace character development. Actually scratch occasionally and write "very rarely"...

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-20, 14:29   Link #17
4Tran

While this is hardly the worst trend that I can think of, it's the one I'd like to see reversed the most: the unnecessarily serious show. I've been noticing that a lot of shows that start out light and airy degenerate into a dramatic morass of depression, suffering and grief. While this can be good when it's portrayed well, the writing for it is usually sub-par, and the whole show suffers because of it, and I find that the technique often generates apathy rather than entertainment. Instead, it'd be certainly more enjoyable for the creators of more of these shows to stick to what they're better at: keeping the show light and fun. The most recent example I can think of is Myself, Yourself, but there's an awful lot out there that fit the mold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziv
Colonel Sanders has always been popular in anime, and unlike the recent Pizza Hut promotions, it's not really a matter of product placement. It's just that KFC was the first Western fast food restaurant to open up in Japan, and his figure is iconic enough to show up in all sorts of random places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimkill7
AWhat happened to the time when characters were judged based on their personal merits and character interaction rather than by how many times they could tack on meaningless sound effects at the end of their sentences per episode? It's a shame really.
It's still here. There are just about as many high-calibre anime that focus on more concrete characterizations rather than settling for stock characters as there have ever been (I believe that this number has been actually growing since the late '90s). The reason it seems these shows are disappearing is that there are also a lot more anime being made than there has ever been, and these additional works tend to be more of the "use anime trope A" variety.
Old 2008-01-20, 15:11   Link #18
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
1.Deaths of main characters.
2.GIRLS/GUYS CUTTING THEIR HAIR. HORRIBLE.

Except Haruhi.^^
Old 2008-01-20, 15:26   Link #19
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

I won't answer the thread's question out of fear that I'll offend everybody with my aggressively harsh attitude. Oh well.

Unless this thread is a ceasefire zone where everyone can be as venomous and hypocritical as they want with no repercussions? If yes, please tell: I'll join the party.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
One of the more recent annoying trends at the moment is the stream of screwed up parenting or crazy adults. The amount of situations where the parents are the ones responsible for screwing up the minds of the younger generation has been on the increase - so much that it is becoming cliche
One could argue it's just based on the venerable tradition of Freudian psychology though.

To essentially sum up Freud: everything that's ever wrong with me, is my parents' fault.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-20, 15:41   Link #20
Slice of Life
eyewitness

For example: CG. Or lets say: 3D CG easily recognizable as such in an otherwise 2D surrounding.

Or: The notion that the view of red paint, meant to represent blood, is psychologically harmful to the audience of a late night anime.

Or: The notion that the view of red paint, meant to represent blood, is psychologically harmful to the audience of a late night anime, but not that of black paint meant to represent blood.