AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2010-12-10, 18:42   Link #201
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

Quote:
If it UC Gundam Sentinel or Cross Bones, If CE Astray ( IMHO Lowe and Gai are way interesting characters than Kira and Athran.)
Astray has no chance since it's main purpose is to supplement SEED. Crossbone on the other hand has a better chance since it is in between F91 and Victory. But to me, if they put a new UC series, it would have to be something in between Unicorn and F91
Old 2010-12-10, 18:54   Link #202
monster

I must admit that F91 made me not interested in Crossbone. (Although I heard the story is better.) And Unicorn is just the latest in a series of pre-F91 UC stories, not to mention it's an adaptation. So right now, if it's to be a UC series, I'm hoping they would be daring enough to make it an anime original set in a post-Victory date.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-10, 18:57   Link #203
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

Quote:
I'm hoping they would be daring enough to make it an anime original set in a post-Victory date.
Post-victory would mean ridiculous firepower. Also, I'd like a new character design in such a timeline.

Quote:
(Although I heard the story is better.)
Yup, I can't believe people say Kira is Jesus, but after reading about Tobia, I'd like to say otherwise.
Old 2010-12-10, 19:00   Link #204
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeriolewinters View Post
Post-victory would mean ridiculous firepower. Also, I'd like a new character design in such a timeline.
I'd say it's all in the presentation, least we forget about Turn A and 00. And yes, a new character design for UC is very much welcomed on my part.
Old 2010-12-10, 19:01   Link #205
kakakka

When making an adaptation (from games, books, etc.), I always expect that they are going to be released as OVA rather than a large series. So for me, Crossbone/Sentinel/Astray have very small chance into being TV Series.
kakakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-10, 19:06   Link #206
Urei
Star Designer
*Graphic Designer

It's hard to create something that does not bow to the endlessly and annoyingly repeated UC stereotypes. I, for one, would pretty much dislike another UC series, unless it was as much non-UC'ish as possible. Still, since UC is like a holy ground for some hardcore fans, it'd be impossible to add variety or freshness on an even remotely comparable to 00 level.

It's even harder to create a series that bends the rules and introduces as much innovation as 00 did. It covered most of the primary bases.

It'll probably be a random AU series kept in the current trendy mecha story style. My guess is that the authors will probably try and go with the results 00 achieved, trying to re-create the fandome with something trendy and popular, yet design wise familiar. In other words - Tenget Toppa Gundam / Gundam Basquash / Galaxy Bishonen Gundam.

AD 2314 Mobile Suit Gundam 00
~A wakening of the Trailblazer~

Urei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-10, 19:13   Link #207
monster

On second thought, one adaptation I wouldn't mind is G-Saviour. (Yeah, I know, it's probably not cannon.) Of course, with any necessary changes in story, character and mecha designs to fit a 50-episode animated series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urei View Post
It's hard to create something that does not bow to the endlessly and annoyingly repeated UC stereotypes.
That's probably why AU exists.
Old 2010-12-10, 19:37   Link #208
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

Quote:
It's hard to create something that does not bow to the endlessly and annoyingly repeated UC stereotypes
That's what something Post-Victory can attain. This can be expounded since I'd go out and say that UC Gundam needs something new, like aliens for example. The Jovians are a close bet, but after what happened with 00, i'd be certain that the new take would have a place in UC lore.
Old 2010-12-10, 20:18   Link #209
Dragonar Fan
HI-RISE BOMBEERRR!!!

Well all I can bet on It's not gonna be based on the following

Blue Destiny
The Lost War Chronicles
Gaia Gear
Old 2010-12-10, 20:56   Link #210
Vsin
Aldracity

How about something that takes place just before Turn A turns the earth's surface to dust? It's still UC, yet has just as much leeway as an AU.
Vsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-10, 21:07   Link #211
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Astray has no chance since it's main purpose is to supplement SEED. Crossbone on the other hand has a better chance since it is in between F91 and Victory. But to me, if they put a new UC series, it would have to be something in between Unicorn and F91
I doubt it'll be Crossbone or Sentinel or anything like them. They stand against everything that Gundam TV series stood for in the last ten years. Even if its UC, it will still be geared towards the general TV audience, which means no midquels and not much references to existing shows (ie F91 and Victory), and plenty of bishounens/bishoujos and the like (NOT like F91 and Victory).

Quote:
Gaia Gear takes place in post-Victory (abeit an alternate timeline) and still manages to keep the tech relatively tame, and the suits aren't that ridiculously powerful. Everything scales anyway. If the title suit's powerful, and the grunt suits keep up so that battles aren't too one-sided.

Plus there is also the route of technological regression like in G-Saviour or Ring of Gundam to keep things grounded.

Last edited by brightman; 2010-12-10 at 22:18.
brightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-10, 21:30   Link #212
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
I doubt it'll be Crossbone or Sentinel or anything like them. They stand for everything that Gundam TV series stood for in the last ten years.
Aren't you contradicting yourself? Granted, I don't know either of those works, so I may have misunderstood you. But if Crossbone and Sentinel stand for everything Gundam TV series stood for in the last ten years, why wouldn't they be possible candidates for adaptation to animated TV series?
Old 2010-12-10, 22:07   Link #213
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstert View Post
Aren't you contradicting yourself? Granted, I don't know either of those works, so I may have misunderstood you. But if Crossbone and Sentinel stand for everything Gundam TV series stood for in the last ten years, why wouldn't they be possible candidates for adaptation to animated TV series?
Sorry. They stand against everything. lol
Old 2010-12-10, 23:04   Link #214
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Deacon Blues Send a message via MSN to Deacon Blues
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
Gaia Gear takes place in post-Victory (abeit an alternate timeline) and still manages to keep the tech relatively tame, and the suits aren't that ridiculously powerful. Everything scales anyway. If the title suit's powerful, and the grunt suits keep up so that battles aren't too one-sided.

Plus there is also the route of technological regression like in G-Saviour or Ring of Gundam to keep things grounded.
You may wanna read about it or listen to the drama first. Gaia Gear mechs are more powerful than what you see in typical Gundam fanfare. And there's no proof it got funneled off into alternative obscurity either.

I wouldn't exactly say Ring of Gundam has a technological regression... that enemy suit blowing up was rather mammoth for a "scaled back" suit.
そして、戦っている人間が汚れて見えないのも事実だ」

So why do people fight, anyway?
Perhaps the meaning of existence lies within their will to fight.
People feel a sense of accomplishment through battle.
And it’s also a fact that the ones actually fighting are never perceived as being tainted.
Deacon Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-10, 23:09   Link #215
D-KLAC
KLAC OF THE ANIME WORLD

ai ca rumba really when new info coming will it be more GS, a main lead female protagnist, gundam version of DECADE, etc?

really as long it's my suggest & something to get rid of 00-ver rated than back to GS days.
YOU EITHER ANIME NEXUS http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=24159 OR AGAINST THE ANIME
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6WFM...eature=related
KLAC OF PERSONALITY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqyG8w0iMPw
D-KLAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-10, 23:54   Link #216
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
This thread continues to make me depressed. It's like the issue has gone from speculation about a new series to discussing what would be the least undesirable option. In other words before we even know what we're getting, if we're getting something at all,damage control has been applied to the subject and people are picking factions like we're gearing up for some sort of political campaign where the different continuities are being weighed in as candidates.

Thing is the whole idea that one Gundam concept needs to be supported over another is an illusion entirely created by the fandom for reasons that completely elude me. If there's one thing that Gundam exemplifies it's choice and variety at the same time that people are accusing it of exemplifying the opposite and claiming it's stagnating (something that is mind-boggling in it's complete inaccuracy), and it's because people only seem to pay damn well attention to very particular aspects of the franchise (overpoweredness of x vs y, character designs, romantic shipping potential, degree of realism, character genders etc.), while quite possibly ignoring everything else that goes into making a Gundam story. In reality the franchise has done anything but stagnate and offer a lack of choice. In the past 10 years we've had an updated re-imagining of the original series storyline (Gundam Seed), a fantasy vision of the future (Gundam 00), a series of short stories for the military type where mobile suits are rarely the focus (MS Igloo), a new entry in Universal Century (Gundam Unicorn), a Gundamized version of the Romance of The Three Kingdoms tale (SD Gundam Brave Battle Warriors, a Gundam show about model kit builders (SD Gundam Gunpla Builders), the first feature length Gundam film in over 15 years (Gundam 00: A Wakening of The Trailblazer), two mobile suit pilot academy stories depicting both sides of the conflict (Ecole Du Ciel and Zeon Children's Academy), a detective story (Operation Valkyrie), countless sequels and spinoffs to Gundam Wing, Gundam X, Gundam Seed, Gundam 00 and U.C Gundam, vignettes about various Gundam series and characters (Gundam Evolve), character specific manga and short stories (Char's Deleted Affair) the list just goes on and on.

What's likely to happen is that whatever animated series comes out in 2011 it isn't going to be the only option. The whole idea behind inventing the A.U concept (a lot of people seem to have forgotten that it wasn't to piss off people of different fan created factions) was to provide Sunrise with the opportunity to try new ideas and concepts to appeal to people of different tastes and get more people interested in the franchise. Somehow it's treated like a detriment these days and a way for people to sound off about whatever fail to meet their particular vision for Gundam. All fair in regard to free speech and right to an opinion, but it still makes me very sad to see nonetheless when I'm not sure what more the franchise could be doing to keep people happy at this point.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2010-12-11 at 00:30.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-11, 00:02   Link #217
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon Blues View Post
You may wanna read about it or listen to the drama first. Gaia Gear mechs are more powerful than what you see in typical Gundam fanfare. And there's no proof it got funneled off into alternative obscurity either.
Like I said, its all relative. As long as all of the mechs scale up or down there won't be much of an issue.

Quote:
I wouldn't exactly say Ring of Gundam has a technological regression... that enemy suit blowing up was rather mammoth for a "scaled back" suit.
The lack of beam shields would count as a technological regression in my mind. (not to mention the RX-78-2 showing up)

Last edited by brightman; 2010-12-11 at 00:13.
brightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-11, 05:16   Link #218
JC...
I am a Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
This thread continues to make me depressed. It's like the issue has gone from speculation about a new series to discussing what would be the least undesirable option. In other words before we even know what we're getting, if we're getting something at all,damage control has been applied to the subject and people are picking factions like we're gearing up for some sort of political campaign where the different continuities are being weighed in as candidates.

Thing is the whole idea that one Gundam concept needs to be supported over another is an illusion entirely created by the fandom for reasons that completely elude me. If there's one thing that Gundam exemplifies it's choice and variety at the same time that people are accusing it of exemplifying the opposite and claiming it's stagnating (something that is mind-boggling in it's complete inaccuracy), and it's because people only seem to pay damn well attention to very particular aspects of the franchise (overpoweredness of x vs y, character designs, romantic shipping potential, degree of realism, character genders etc.), while quite possibly ignoring everything else that goes into making a Gundam story. In reality the franchise has done anything but stagnate and offer a lack of choice. In the past 10 years we've had an updated re-imagining of the original series storyline (Gundam Seed), a fantasy vision of the future (Gundam 00), a series of short stories for the military type where mobile suits are rarely the focus (MS Igloo), a new entry in Universal Century (Gundam Unicorn), a Gundamized version of the Romance of The Three Kingdoms tale (SD Gundam Brave Battle Warriors, a Gundam show about model kit builders (SD Gundam Gunpla Builders), the first feature length Gundam film in over 15 years (Gundam 00: A Wakening of The Trailblazer), two mobile suit pilot academy stories depicting both sides of the conflict (Ecole Du Ciel and Zeon Children's Academy), a detective story (Operation Valkyrie), countless sequels and spinoffs to Gundam Wing, Gundam X, Gundam Seed, Gundam 00 and U.C Gundam, vignettes about various Gundam series and characters (Gundam Evolve), character specific manga and short stories (Char's Deleted Affair) the list just goes on and on.

What's likely to happen is that whatever animated series comes out in 2011 it isn't going to be the only option. The whole idea behind inventing the A.U concept (a lot of people seem to have forgotten that it wasn't to piss off people of different fan created factions) was to provide Sunrise with the opportunity to try new ideas and concepts to appeal to people of different tastes and get more people interested in the franchise. Somehow it's treated like a detriment these days and a way for people to sound off about whatever fail to meet their particular vision for Gundam. All fair in regard to free speech and right to an opinion, but it still makes me very sad to see nonetheless when I'm not sure what more the franchise could be doing to keep people happy at this point.
You're just being sensitive, like NgeeKhiong was. People argue over lots of forms of media and entertainment, and other things too. It's not like that's going to stop when it comes to Gundam.
JC... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-11, 06:47   Link #219
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

.......Some months back, there was a poll about popularity of certain series and Hathaway's Flash was an entry despite it's supposed obscurity.

Perhaps this might be just the UC series Okawara is hinting at.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-11, 06:55   Link #220
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC... View Post
You're just being sensitive, like NgeeKhiong was. People argue over lots of forms of media and entertainment, and other things too. It's not like that's going to stop when it comes to Gundam.
Actually NgeeKhiong quit because he just wanted to talk about upcoming model kits and share his appreciation for the hobby, but instead always got the same bullshit from people about the latest model kit not being from the series they wanted and therefore the model kit was terrible because that show "sucked" in their eyes. All of this before even seeing the model kit and building it for themselves. I assume it got really tiring after a while and he decided enough was enough, and frankly I can understand his reasoning completely. When you start to see you're own words and efforts being used against the very thing you are trying to support it's almost certainly time to call it quits and cut your losses.

I don't see any problem with calling some of the more bizarre practices fans have into question either. I also don't see how it's a matter of being sensitive so much as a matter of basically calling for a quick timeout to put into perspective the flow of the thread, perhaps offering up that the argument currently going on is an entirely moot one. Yeah obviously it's still going to happen because some people are just the way the are, but at least I've said my piece on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
.......Some months back, there was a poll about popularity of certain series and Hathaway's Flash was an entry despite it's supposed obscurity.

Perhaps this might be just the UC series Okawara is hinting at.
Well that would be the perfect follow-up to U.C since it's basically the next story in continuity, but Okawara didn't have anything to do with it as far as I know. Looking at MAHQ the mecha design was done by the duo of Yasuhiro Moriki and Kazumi Fujita. Always possible that he could be tasked with doing an adaptation of those designs though. It'd have to be an OVA though since it doesn't really lend itself to a full-length TV series.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote