Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2011-02-23, 11:11   Link #1
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

The Imageshack Problem...

If I'm getting my facts straight, Imageshack is now either:

1. Requiring sites that want to have linking to pictures on their servers to be registered to them if we want to view their content through the site.

or

2. The user viewing the pictures have to be registered to imageshack to be able to view anything on their servers.

They now require sites to be registered to let site users access the pics, and even then also required said users to be logged in to imageshack to even view the content. I have no idea what the hell their management is smoking but this is causing a hell lot of messy complaints around the net since they suddenly shifted gears.

Since this board runs on a lot of fanart and other related pictures, I thought it would be best to have a general forum post or something for people to know what's up with the host since a lot of the content being posted here is based off on imageshack.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-23, 13:27   Link #2
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
I still don't get why people use imageshack when there are obviously superior free sites that don't have stupid ads all over their site, and have no weird restrictions regarding linking and such.
Old 2011-02-23, 14:37   Link #3
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Registering with imageshack means that we can't post pics that THEY think is controversial.

Use something else like tinypic. I am not going to have someone control what I want to host and post, and I'll leave the 2nd Dotcom bubble to take care of them.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-23, 17:54   Link #4
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
I still don't get why people use imageshack when there are obviously superior free sites that don't have stupid ads all over their site, and have no weird restrictions regarding linking and such.
I get no ads... anywhere, muhahaha.

But ImageShack has great software and extensions that make using it easy. So far, this has made no difference to me, so *shrugs*
Old 2011-02-23, 17:55   Link #5
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Preferably: use a forum gallery.

If it's for a tutorial/article like post (or anything else like contest entries, etc), ALWAYS use a forum gallery. Images on imagehosts "expire" or go into archive mode (which means they load slow; if at all) after around a year. This leads to whatever you wrote being barely usable, especially if you relied heavily on images. And no, even if the imagehost supposedly has no bandwidth restrictions this will still happen.

You can easily post it as a thumbnail as well (just copy the thumbnail image and add a link).

By doing so the lifetime of your images is equal to the lifetime of your gallery, which is equal to the lifetime of the forum. In other words, as long as you don't delete your gallery, forever and ever and ever.

If you really must use a 3rd party hosts:

http://postimage.org/ for thumbnails

http://tinypic.com/ for hotlinks and very large images

Image hosts with problems:

http://photobucket.com/ it has limited bandwidth, not to mention a reputation of messing with your images

Any host with bandwith limit, region restrictions or similar stupid stuff.

Other stupid stuff
  • don't hotlink from private galleries on the forum.
  • don't hotlink from random sites (in particular blogs on animeblogger), the image might show for you since you have it in cache; the rest of us will get "no hotlinking" or just no image at all. Other sites these days also work on a logged in basis; if you're logged in http://example.com/image.jpg leads to a image, otherwise it leads to a image discussion page. Caching means this may result in you seeing a image, and the rest of us a broken image.
  • don't use/hotlink to any site that requires registration
Old 2011-02-23, 19:56   Link #6
Kotohono
Yuri ΅'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
Personally I use it because imageshack doesn't have a cap/limit on bandwidth, size of images, or total storage usable compared to say photobucket which limits all three of them, though if there is some better alternative site to both of them, I'd like to know .
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-23, 20:15   Link #7
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
Personally I use it because imageshack doesn't have a cap/limit on bandwidth, size of images, or total storage usable compared to say photobucket which limits all three of them, though if there is some better alternative site to both of them, I'd like to know .
LOL what?

http://imageshack.us/content.php?page=faq
  • Each image you upload must be less than 5 megabytes in size, 10 megabytes for premium users. If it is greater than that amount, your image will be optimized for internet use. Video files must be less than 15 minutes or they will be trimmed after uploading.

• ImageShack allows unlimited bandwidth for images, videos, and slideshows when viewed from our landing page. If an image is hotlinked, it will have a limit during our peak traffic. Imageshack allows 2000mb per hour for each image hosted. Gif images are limited at 500mb per hour. Peak time is from 6:00am to 3:00pm PST. Off peak there are no limits. If a hotlinked image exceeds this amount, it will become inaccessible, and you would need to send us an email to have it enabled again.
Old 2011-02-23, 20:21   Link #8
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

For all normal purposes, there is no limit. Uploading a image bigger than 5 MB is not an every day occurrence.

But the biggest thing is, I can right click any number of images, on my computer or in my browser, and upload it to my ImageShack.

And if there is a big enough uproar over this, they may change it back or something.
Old 2011-02-23, 20:23   Link #9
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
But the biggest thing is, I can right click any number of images, on my computer or in my browser, and upload it to my ImageShack.
And how many imagehosts out there don't have this feature? (eg. http://postimage.org/ , http://imgur.com/ )
Old 2011-02-23, 20:42   Link #10
Kotohono
Yuri ΅'serator

Quote:
For all normal purposes, there is no limit. Uploading a image bigger than 5 MB is not an every day occurrence.
This ^, and photobucket tends to forcefully resize images just by the pixel size, rather than the storage size they take up.

And 2000mb per hour for each image[400 views per hour on a 5 MB image, far more on smaller images] is more reasonable than a monthly cap on bandwidth like photobucket again . I'll look at those two you linked if you think they provide better functions.
MAL
Old 2011-02-23, 23:38   Link #11
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
And how many imagehosts out there don't have this feature? (eg. http://postimage.org/ , http://imgur.com/ )
I see no such features or tools on PostImage. Imgur looks decent but I'll stick with ImageShack.

I think you should make a list of every image host out there, since you know them all.
Old 2011-02-24, 00:34   Link #12
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix
Preferably: use a forum gallery.
Saw you mentioning this back at KiNA's thread and now I have my sigs hosted there.
Old 2011-02-24, 03:17   Link #13
Kotohono
Yuri ΅'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
Saw you mentioning this back at KiNA's thread and now I have my sigs hosted there.
You know you could just host your signature with the [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] and upload there, so you don't have change any URL ever to change the sig, right?
MAL
Old 2011-02-24, 04:19   Link #14
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
You know you could just host your signature with the [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] and upload there, so you don't have change any URL ever to change the sig, right?
Can't really say that I have played much with these options.
Old 2011-02-24, 07:13   Link #15
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Noob mod

:x

*runs from Dan*
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-24, 07:20   Link #16
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
I see no such features or tools on PostImage. Imgur looks decent but I'll stick with ImageShack.
http://postimage.org/index.php?um=many
Old 2011-02-24, 09:25   Link #17
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
Yes, let's sap AS's bandwidth, haha.

Quote:
I don't like to because it often reduces the images quality.

Quote:
No, that's not it.
Old 2011-02-24, 10:51   Link #18
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
No, that's not it.
Explain the difference.
Old 2011-02-24, 12:41   Link #19
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Quote:
Explain the difference.
I may be wrong but I think he means this 3rd party tool that can be used for uploading images to your Imageshack server.

'' RightLoad

Rightload is a small program that allows you to quickly upload files directly from a Windows folder to your server. ''

As for uploading .. Well I mostly use Tinypic if I do av/sigs for people. I don't use the sigpic feature either since it reduces the quality of signatures. I host my own stuff like sig/avies at my own server though.
Old 2011-02-24, 14:23   Link #20
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Why doesn't he have a problem with http://imgur.com/ then.