AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Eden of the East

Notices

Old 2010-03-31, 10:18   Link #121
idiffer

Send a message via ICQ to idiffer
i have to agree with almost everything negative that has been said about Eden. i'll try to expand on some things and throw my nasty 2 cents in...
Spoiler for series + movie 1:

Spoiler for movie 2:

quote Sheba
"Sad age where people base their opinions on hearsay and throw their weight around to make it appear as truth and fact, uh?"
these comments come from ppl who dont trust others and arent into analyzing themselves.
you know, some ppl actually can give a prognosis of wherther they'll like shows or not and they will come true in 90% of the number of shows. its a matter of knowing when the reviewer is more or less objective or a fanboy and knowing what you like and dislike.
c) Your mind is too narrow to embrace my genius, de geso.
d) I was accidentally dropped into a barrel of whiskey, so now I am constantly drunk.
e) Go home and die! Dattebayo!
idiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-31, 10:36   Link #122
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by idiffer View Post
you know, some ppl actually can give a prognosis of wherther they'll like shows or not and they will come true in 90% of the number of shows. its a matter of knowing when the reviewer is more or less objective or a fanboy and knowing what you like and dislike.
But unless you're clairvoyant there's no way of knowing how much you'd actually enjoy it if you didn't read spoilers and the like.

And you know 90% of statistics are lies?
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-31, 10:51   Link #123
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by idiffer View Post
You'd be able to tell how Gungrave would unveil from the first episode alone?

I wish I knew more geniuses like them.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-31, 11:02   Link #124
sakurawings

I liked it for what it's worth. The plot itself of Eden never really did anything for me (I feel like I've seen this plot before), but I enjoy the character interactions a lot, and we got quite a bit of it in the movie.

Spoiler for King of Eden:

Spoiler for Paradise Lost:
sakurawings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-31, 11:58   Link #125
Ziziphus
Whatever

Just watched the 1st movie, but it's only a quick watch so I haven't had any opinion about it yet. But this one thing bugs me:

Spoiler for 1st movie:
Ziziphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-31, 16:07   Link #126
firehawk12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin823 View Post
http://jphinano.wordpress.com/2010/0...t-in-paradise/ spoilers for the second movie... not overly fond of the ending : /
Cheers.
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-31, 17:07   Link #127
Buttercup~
<3 ice cream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziziphus View Post
Just watched the 1st movie, but it's only a quick watch so I haven't had any opinion about it yet. But this one thing bugs me:

Spoiler for 1st movie:
Agreed about Juiz.
Spoiler:
Buttercup~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-31, 22:18   Link #128
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Wow, people are gonna deprive themselves of the rest of the movie cause they clicked a spoiler link just to see how the main storyline ended and went,
'Ah to hell with this!' *rant rant*

After watching the series and keeping tabs for a year now, you may as well see it to the end, there's more than just the Selecao and the game in this, you know. Also it's Kamiyama as the director. Things are rarely black and white with this dude.
(Makes me kinda glad to have seen it blind now, lol)

I find it a royal shame however that there's this set of Western anime/manga fans online that claim to enjoy Japanese animation and related works but instead of going in on the same level as the natives (as in blind) and experiencing and interpreting the works without the influence of major ass spoilers, people scream
'I can't wait! Gimme naaaaaaao!'
(Yes you can, you won't die otherwise, just as you wait for sequels of Hollywood movies)

Then go and jump ahead and spoil themselves therefore diluting their expectations and opinions based off text and then make judgements off of it.
Then seriously, why bother watching and following an anime series that didn't have a manga (so it was original and no one really had a heads up on it), so it was meant to be 'fresh' right until the end for you, but you go and deprive yourselves of that?
Doesn't make sense to me, but I've laid this series to rest, so it's cool.

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-31, 22:48   Link #129
karumofin

so i watched the first movie and i really gotto say it was pretty bad.
i actually think the series was good and interesting all the way to the end, but really, the only memorable scene of the whole movie was the very first scene with the guns.
after that, i dont know what happened... nothing at all realy. takizama didnt do anything at all throughout the whole movie, everyone else was mostly talking, considering all the crazy things and scenarios that happened throughout the series, all that magic is completely gone.
Like others have said, this was material for an episode of the series, certainly not a whole movie.
karumofin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-01, 00:09   Link #130
fish eric
like to talk to fish?

they should have stayed with the oasis theme song. I didn't care for the "beautiful days" or whatever its called OP.

What about you guys--Like or Dislike?
fish eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-01, 02:27   Link #131
firehawk12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
Wow, people are gonna deprive themselves of the rest of the movie cause they clicked a spoiler link just to see how the main storyline ended and went,

After watching the series and keeping tabs for a year now, you may as well see it to the end, there's more than just the Selecao and the game in this, you know. Also it's Kamiyama as the director. Things are rarely black and white with this dude.

I find it a royal shame however that there's this set of Western anime/manga fans online that claim to enjoy Japanese animation and related works but instead of going in on the same level as the natives (as in blind) and experiencing and interpreting the works without the influence of major ass spoilers, people scream
(Yes you can, you won't die otherwise, just as you wait for sequels of Hollywood movies)

Then go and jump ahead and spoil themselves therefore diluting their expectations and opinions based off text and then make judgements off of it.
Then seriously, why bother watching and following an anime series that didn't have a manga (so it was original and no one really had a heads up on it), so it was meant to be 'fresh' right until the end for you, but you go and deprive yourselves of that?
Can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not a person who is afraid of spoilers. Ultimately, all stories end the same way anyway, so it's the execution that's more important than the actual plot.

That said, I'm just interested because in 4 months, I'm not going to remember anything about the series.
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-01, 03:16   Link #132
linkinstreet
[Your] clan on Steam

Send a message via MSN to linkinstreet Send a message via Yahoo to linkinstreet
Hmm, for me the movie was good. Not much actions, I know, and yet more questions than answer, but I loved the pacing, and Kamiyama's way of slowly unveiling everything. I am still waiting for movie 2 to really see the whole picture tho
linkinstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-01, 04:33   Link #133
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

The problem is that the trailers always sell it as something fast paced and action-packed, but it's...well...not...
Old 2010-04-01, 08:52   Link #134
Buttercup~
<3 ice cream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post

I don't like spoilers =X haha! I haven't read the plot summaries for the second movie (although it's littered everywhere now >_>) because I hate being spoiled.
However, I like reading reviews because I want to hear the general feedback of whether or not fans liked it. It helps me with expectation levels lol =P
With the second movie though, I'm going to watch it regardless so it makes no difference to me. I don't see the point in watching the entire series + 1 movie and dropping it.
Buttercup~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-01, 09:14   Link #135
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziziphus View Post
Spoiler for 1st movie:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup~ View Post
Agreed about Juiz.
Spoiler:
This seems to suggest that
Spoiler for movie 1:

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-01, 14:33   Link #136
sakurawings

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk12 View Post
Can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not a person who is afraid of spoilers. Ultimately, all stories end the same way anyway, so it's the execution that's more important than the actual plot.
Amen, I'm the same way. I'm a sucker for great animation and music.

Spoiler for Paradise Lost:
sakurawings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-01, 17:18   Link #137
Tamiko
"Envy Is Ignorance."

Heres a link to the subbed version of "The King Of Eden".

http://www.animeultima.tv/eden-of-th...den-episode-1/

Watch only.
Tamiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-01, 18:11   Link #138
achirist

Unlike some other people, I watched the movie because I really liked the series--it is stylish, interesting, and very meaningful.

Spoiler for movie I:

Overall, this was a good continuation of the series, and I'll be glad to see movie 2 when it comes on dvd.
Old 2010-04-01, 18:26   Link #139
Starry Dust
Lurkin' in ur threadz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
The problem is that the trailers always sell it as something fast paced and action-packed, but it's...well...not...
Well, Eden was never fast-paced or action-packed to begin with
Why would the movies suddenly change for that? I always thought Eden was more of a 'thinking' series instead.
Unless you were talking about movies in 'general'...then nevermind what I said lol

Well, like what many have expressed here, I was sadly disappointed.
Spoiler for King of Eden:

Last edited by Starry Dust; 2010-04-01 at 18:36.
Starry Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-02, 05:14   Link #140
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardust Romance View Post
Well, Eden was never fast-paced or action-packed to begin with
Why would the movies suddenly change for that? I always thought Eden was more of a 'thinking' series instead.
Unless you were talking about movies in 'general'...then nevermind what I said lol
The whole series. The first trailer for the 11 episodes suggested it would be fast-paced and it never was. I guess i always hoped that it would become fast-paced in the films. Even though i doubted it myself, it's still anoying that they would sell the films as fast-paced aswell. I'm tempted to call it false advertisement.