AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2013-02-03, 22:10   Link #1
trickdaddy
Level 5 Esper

Need some more good anime

Well, I've been burning through some anime lately, here's most of them:
-fullmetal alchemist(both series)
-soul eater
-ambition/ Oda Nabuna
-amagami as
-Kanon
-Aria the scarlet ammo
-code geass
-shakugan no Shana
-accel world

Some of my favorites include:
-Sword art online
-familiar of zero
-spice and wolf
-angel beats
-the world god only knows

But yeah, as you can see, I like mainly older stuff, fantasy or old times, although some modern themes.
I like a developed romance strewn in between main characters, especiallly if it really picks up in the middle, like SAO, or is there but not acknowledged, like Spice and Wolf.
I Also enjoy the theme of something happening in the normal world butt then the main character is brought somewhere new (like FoZ) or encounters someone magic or something (like spice and wolf)

To conclude, I would like an anime with some mid series developed or obviously developing romance, some form of action or challenge or struggle, possibly occuring in the past, but doesnt have to be, and something magical occurring in the normal world (pretty much everything listed above).

Thanks for your time!
trickdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-04, 00:28   Link #2
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickdaddy View Post
But yeah, as you can see, I like mainly older stuff, fantasy or old times, although some modern themes.

I Also enjoy the theme of something happening in the normal world butt then the main character is brought somewhere new (like FoZ) or encounters someone magic or something (like spice and wolf)
The classic examples of a main character being whisked off to a discover a new life in a new, often fantastical, world are Fushigi Yugi, Escaflowne, and Junni Kokki ("Twelve Kingdoms"). The last one would be my recommendation, though it demands patience. It can be a bit slow going for some people at the beginning, but about half-a-dozen episodes in it gets much more compelling and will hold your attention through the next 33. (The last six episodes are a separate story that is cut short because the novelist took ill, but episodes 1-39 spin a complete tale.) Shows like these nearly always have a female protagonist. There are some strong male characters in Junni Kokki, but the focus is on the original protagonist, Nakajima Youko, and two other young women whose stories run in parallel with hers.

You might also like Guin Saga about a powerful being with a man's body but a leopard's head. I thought the show quickly went down hill in the second half when Guin plays a less prominent role, but you can decide for yourself.

In an entirely different vein, but with some similar themes, I'll suggest Black Lagoon. A young Japanese salaryman is sent on a mission by his company and finds himself kidnapped by a bunch of criminals-for-hire who drive an old torpedo boat and live in the crime capital of Southeast Asia, "Roanapur." Rock soon leaves his workaday Japanese life behind and joins the Lagoon Company. The show unfolds as an anthology of short story arcs; I think the ones in the second season are stronger than those in the first. There's also a slightly crazed, sometimes depressive Chinese-American girl who is the crew's chief gunsel. She and the salaryman Rock have a relationship with a lot of sexual tension that is usually kept repressed for business reasons. Their sometime collaborator sometime enemy, Balalaika, fought with the Soviet Army in Afghanistan but now runs the Roanapur branch of the Russian mafia. She was horribly scarred during her wartime service, smokes cheroots, and prefers to wear her old uniform. Balalaika is also one of the most powerful characters I've ever seen in anime, of either gender.

One last "fish out of water" story I'll suggest is set in the late Edo period, House of Five Leaves. An unemployed ronin encounters a set of petty criminals and, like Rock, becomes seduced by them and their lifestyle. It has a lot less action than Black Lagoon. It is more of a character study than an adventure.

Quote:
I like a developed romance strewn in between main characters, especiallly if it really picks up in the middle, like SAO, or is there but not acknowledged, like Spice and Wolf.
In the latter category, I'll suggest Cross Game about a boy who becomes an ace high-school pitcher and a neighbor family with four daughters, one of whom is also a talented pitcher. It's one of the best "osana-najimi" ("childhood friend") stories I've watched and won the AnimeSuki award for Best Series of 2010.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-04, 09:13   Link #3
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
I'd suggest:

Crest of the Stars a Sci-Fi, but I think you ought to try it as it matches your other requirements quite well.
Ranma 1/2 since you like Familiar of Zero
Inuyasha since you like Familiar of Zero
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (watch in DVD order)
Chrono Crusade set in America of the 1920's, magic, a bit of romance.
Kokoro Connect magic in normal life, romance
Mirai Nikki Romance, Magic in a normal world, action.
Read or Die
Full Metal Panic Mecha instead of magic, but otherwise what you want.
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Katanagatari Definitely should watch this one.
Tenchi Universe and Tenchi Muyo

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-04, 10:14   Link #4
trickdaddy
Level 5 Esper

Well thanks! Hopefully I'll have a few more shows to watch in the next few weeks or so.
However, I'll keep taking any more suggestions!

If anyone has any more that fit most or all of my points of interest, please do tell!
trickdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-04, 12:19   Link #5
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Actually I forgot one of the better "magic in everyday life" stories, Someday's Dreamers. It imagines what life might be like if magic really existed in modern societies. The protagonist is a teen-aged girl who discovers she is one of the lucky few to have magic powers and goes to a Tokyo academy to develop her powers. What I liked most about this show was its emphasis on the ethics of using magic in a world where most people are muggles. You can watch the first episode for free at TheAnimeNetwork.

There's a follow-on story (not a sequel as the characters are different), but it is nowhere near as interesting as the original. All the ethical challenges are largely missing and a weak romance put in their place.

There's also a children's show called Mahou Shoujotai Arusu (in English it is titled "Tweeny Witches") about a young girl who wishes that magic were real and used for good purposes. Like her namesake Alice, she falls into another world where magic does exist, but she discovers that magic brings power, and power is not always used for good. It has a pretty dark storyline that can appeal to adults and is beautifully produced by Studio 4°C.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2013-02-04 at 12:33.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-04, 17:15   Link #6
kitten320

It is hard to have all of those requirements in one so I'll separate them:

Seirei No Morbito - is your best friend. It doesn't have an open romance but it is hinted and shown that Balsa and Tanda have a very close relationship. some characters eventually start to urge them to get married. I would say it gives spice and wolf vibes.
Series are set in old times and include fantasy and action. It also has magic.
Interesting and progressing story and characters.
I'm really urging to give it a try.

Ano Natsu de Matteru
- could be to your liking. It is a romance anime where main heroine happens to be an alien from different planet. Romance develops early. Plot os more slice of life but we get a bit of action towards the end.

Since you have watched Kanon and Angle Beats, did you try Clannad? It is from the same creator. In second season the main couple gets married and lives together though series focus more on their emotions than actual physical action between the two.
It has lots of magical things happening in our modern world. Since you have seen Kanon, you should know what to expect for most part.

Dog Days - main hero is brought into a different world. Didn't see season 2 yet but in first he had close relationship with main heroine. Could be counted as a bit of a romance.

Fate/Stay Night - a couple gets confirmed towards the end but we get to see few kisses. It is action. Heroes of the past are brought into a modern world. Just an example Hercules could be brought into modern world to fight other characters/people like him to win Grail that will fulfill any wish.

Inuyasha - main heroine is taken to the past filled with monsters. Action and fantasy included. A bit of romance too.

Kokoro Connect - magical things are happening in modern world, actual romance. Pretty good series.

Mai HiME - is a good choice. It has several couples in it and their relationships play big roles in future events. It has lots of action and a bit of fantasy elements. Entertaining characters.

Otome Youkai Zakuro - set in older period with fantasy elements. Light action and romance that develops towards the end.

Romeo x Juliet - this is a given. A different take on the famous play. Has romance, fantasy, action and old time period.

Steins;Gate - romance develops later on. Series focus on time travel.

Hope this helps.
Old 2013-02-06, 11:46   Link #7
cerberuz

Shangri-La - I can't stop watching it until the end
Ano Hana - It didn't bad.
Baka test to - Very funny
cerberuz is offline   Reply With Quote