AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Tales of... > Tales of the Abyss (Archive)

Notices

Old 2008-10-14, 02:57   Link #801
Bloodseeker

*watches first 3 episodes of TotA anime*

You know, if they keep taking their time like this, then they definitely won't have time to include little filler side excursions just for the sake of having original content, and they might end up having to rush things later.

Its entertaining, though. Anime based off of RPGs have a pretty bad reputation, but I'm enjoying this one so far. (even if Anise feels a little "wackier" and neither her nor Jade feel quiet the same without their R1 VAs, and I get the feeling that Natalia might suffer the same fate once she gets more screentime; Luke and Tear sound better in Japanese, though, and I think that the anime adds a bit of character to the latter)
Bloodseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-14, 05:16   Link #802
vspirit
...huh?

*blinks* by R1 VAs, do you mean English VAs?
vspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-14, 05:22   Link #803
Bloodseeker

Right.

But region 1 just sounds better for some reason, since they're not English, the Japanese VAs could be English speakers too for all we know, and the dubbing was done in North America. >_>

Call it nitpicker-proof thinking that I've picked up from years of browsing 4chan.

Edit:

Maybe English dub VAs would have been better?
Bloodseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-14, 06:50   Link #804
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narona View Post
Some avatars from the third episode

- - -

- - -

- - -

- - -

- - -

Oh man iv got to snag the third one of Gin doing his bullet blocking badassness

Good work they are all very nice good quality
Old 2008-10-14, 08:45   Link #805
vspirit
...huh?

Oh. Okay. Well, the terms for nationalities and languages are usually the same in English, so it depends on the context, which means by saying Japanese and English in this case, I'd think it's clear to most that we mean the language, so I'm just gonna stick to calling them the way I'm used to calling them.

I like Jade's English VA. I like him just as much as I do Koyappi. Dist's one is really good as well. Liam O'Brien (was it?) pulled it off more or less exactly the way Yao Kazuki did. I like both versions so I'd enjoy the story whichever language it comes in. xD I'd love to hear Jade being snarky in the anime in English, though. His dry wit is really suitable for the language and some of his lines cut as deep in English, if not more so, due to the nature of the language itself. Guy's English VA (JYB, right?) also did a wonderful job. In fact, I think I like his voice over Yasunori Matsumoto's, though I love Matsumoto-san's VAing just as much. He just sounds smoother and more debonair with his English voice that it makes the existence of his err...not-so-little 'problem' that much more ironic. xxD

EDIT:
Of course, a lot of it depends on how the lines are translated. In the game, it was done awesomely but the voiced anime cutscenes were short (IIRC) and the voiced lines were usually in-game so there's no need to worry about the syncing of lip movement and differences in duration between the lines being said in English and in Japanese, which is definitely not the case for anime. *wilts*

Last edited by vspirit; 2008-10-14 at 09:14.
Old 2008-10-14, 11:01   Link #806
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Abyss overall has a very solid dub, though Natalia and Tear's dubs grates on my ears. Although I do prefer Koyasu to Kirk Thorton, he nonetheless did a stellar job as Jade. Yuri Lowenthall and Suzuki for Asch and Luke are about equal. Both of them have parts where they sound more natural in each others respective work, especially Yuri's part where he goes CAAAA~. They are both good, but I lend a little more weight to the original Japanese voice-work in my opinion.

Vesperia though, I prefer the dub.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-14, 11:13   Link #807
Ryusiangel

could i claim that anise one with the heart eyes :3
Old 2008-10-14, 11:51   Link #808
JediNight
キズランダム

So Jade now has his "fonic artes sealed" for the rest of the show? That certainly seems like some freaking hax that they can just toss out a tiny cube and "oops you can't ever use magic again until we let you" .... what the hell? Seems a bit too corny of a plot device.
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-14, 11:57   Link #809
mangalowres
AS Mods Sandbag

my 2 cent

And here are some more

more in my thread and more later this evening.
mangalowres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-14, 12:13   Link #810
vspirit
...huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight View Post
So Jade now has his "fonic artes sealed" for the rest of the show? That certainly seems like some freaking hax that they can just toss out a tiny cube and "oops you can't ever use magic again until we let you" .... what the hell? Seems a bit too corny of a plot device.
Maa, maa, let's not be hasty. They had to do it in the game because it's either that or wait till you're about Jade's level before you get him in your party. But if the latter were to be the case, you'll probably only get him near the end of the game since he's clearly light years more superior than the rest of the characters at the start of it. And it's not quite as easy as you're thinking to get yer hands on one of them fon slot seals. Just wait a bit more and they'll explain it. Abyss's rather well covered in its universe, and most everything can be explained so be patient, nya?
Old 2008-10-14, 12:21   Link #811
mangalowres
AS Mods Sandbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by vspirit View Post
Maa, maa, let's not be hasty. They had to do it in the game because it's either that or wait till you're about Jade's level before you get him in your party. But if the latter were to be the case, you'll probably only get him near the end of the game since he's clearly light years more superior than the rest of the characters at the start of it. And it's not quite as easy as you're thinking to get yer hands on one of them fon slot seals. Just wait a bit more and they'll explain it. Abyss's rather well covered in its universe, and most everything can be explained so be patient, nya?
I thought Luke would be later one of the stringest chars-kuma.
Old 2008-10-14, 12:47   Link #812
vspirit
...huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangalowres View Post
I thought Luke would be later one of the stringest chars-kuma.
He's your main character. He has to be. But you know how some characters are far superior at the start of a game but, through a series of events, get dumbed down to somewhere round your party's level? It's like that for Jade. Anyway, your main character being really strong doesn't mean your other party members can't be as strong. In fact, you'd be in trouble if they aren't. =)

And well, since the anime's keeping real close to the game so far, I believe this'd also be the case later. er...bear.
Old 2008-10-14, 13:41   Link #813
Mystearika

may i take it^^

i like the anime i am happy it is faithfull to the game.
Old 2008-10-14, 13:58   Link #814
TrueKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jednight
So Jade now has his "fonic artes sealed" for the rest of the show? That certainly seems like some freaking hax that they can just toss out a tiny cube and "oops you can't ever use magic again until we let you".
You're kidding me. If Jade were remain having his fonic artes he could basically solo the entire show all by himself. The writers did the right thing in my opinion.

Ok, joking aside,

Spoiler for not really significant to the overall plot:

That's that....
TrueKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-14, 14:09   Link #815
Clarste
Human

Basically it's a plot device to explain why a legendary soldier would be roughly the same level as everyone else in your party, with the excuse that it's a super-rare tool.

Spoiler for game mechanics:
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-14, 16:03   Link #816
Bobu44
Gaku Translator

It's a neat concept for the game, hope they explore it a little better as the series keeps going.

Putting up with the current plot pace will make the future developments that much sweeter

It certainly did in the video game
Bobu44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-14, 16:06   Link #817
mangalowres
AS Mods Sandbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystearika View Post

may i take it^^

i like the anime i am happy it is faithfull to the game.
sure thanks for asking

EDIT:

And here comes the rest, more or less, for all those Mieu fans and more of him in my thread

Last edited by mangalowres; 2008-10-14 at 19:00.
Old 2008-10-14, 20:40   Link #818
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodseeker View Post
*watches first 3 episodes of TotA anime*

You know, if they keep taking their time like this, then they definitely won't have time to include little filler side excursions just for the sake of having original content, and they might end up having to rush things later.
Why would they need to have original content/filler excursions? Besides, as with most long RPGs, there are bound to be places and dungeons that can be removed, or even 2 or 3-in-one-ed to compact the relevance of that particular dungeon's storyline.

I'm more worried on whether or not stuff like Ion Gaiden/etc would have some moments dedicated to them in animation. Hoping for a straight-out episodes of Gaiden would be too much to ask considering the tight 26 episodes they have going, but some of the depth added to the manga from the original game really adds to the melodrama of the whole thing.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-14, 20:45   Link #819
Scarlett_Rain55

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangalowres View Post
sure thanks for asking

EDIT:

And here comes the rest, more or less, for all those Mieu fans and more of him in my thread
*Steals*

Thank you! Mieu is the cutest mascot character ever.
Scarlett_Rain55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-14, 21:24   Link #820
uis

Woot... Mangalowres you need to made Ion avatar too... (Ion fan)

*Why Ion and Fenimore fate same ???*

-It is okay if you are weak. I will grab your hand and realize your dream-
uis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy