AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2006-07-23, 11:40   Link #81
ryomakun

Here's the deal, if its online gaming your having, i suggest you also have a router that acts as a firewall, and you also need a firewall (local) i suggest zone alarm free, since its good enough, if you don't have the memory though, stick with windows firewall, but make sure you always update your WINXP, as for anti-virus programs, what you want is protection and not less memory...(ram).. anyways i use Norton Antivirus, seems ok for me, saved me alot of times. But i know there are Better Antivirus, such as Kaspersky,Trend Micro, and McAffee All are Better than Norton, its just that Kaspersky doesnt like other anti virus running, doesnt like zonealarm running GRRR, so i stick with my Norton Anti Virus, since it allows me to have both Zonealarm + NAV running at the same time, regarding memory usage, my ZA- uses 17mb ram AT the moment(havent restart in a while.. like 3 days:>?) My Norton uses around 7mb.. but there are alot of diff processes of norton that runs, so i guess to add them all up its around 25mb. Gdluck.!
ryomakun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-12, 12:28   Link #82
Nidas

Anti-virus

Sup AnimeSuki. So my Norton anti-virus runs out in about a month. Lots of people bitch about how its a resource hog, and it is, but the main reason I want to change is that Norton 06 hates my fav torrent client, BitTornado. Its probably a stupid reason I know

So can anyone recommend me a new anti-virus? I've heard good things about AVG and NOD32 but haven't really paid much attention to the particulars up till now. Really all I want is something thats simple to use and updates automatically. I don't mind paying as long as it works well, internet security being one of the few things I actually will pay for online. An all-in-one program would be nice (anti-virus, firewall, etc). It would also be nice if they accept payments in £ rather than $ so I don't get stung for handling charges, but thats not an absolute necessity. Before anyone asks, I have no idea what my exact system specs are but its a mid-range Toshiba laptop running on XP. Since it handles Norton fine it should be able to handle most anti-virus software lol

So... any input, recommendations, flames, whatever?
Nidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-12, 14:34   Link #83
belpegor
Banned

HI

you can try bitdefender v10 which is an antivirus, antispyware and an awesome firewall
much better than norton, which detects half of the currents malware around the net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidas View Post
Sup AnimeSuki. So my Norton anti-virus runs out in about a month. Lots of people bitch about how its a resource hog, and it is, but the main reason I want to change is that Norton 06 hates my fav torrent client, BitTornado. Its probably a stupid reason I know

So can anyone recommend me a new anti-virus? I've heard good things about AVG and NOD32 but haven't really paid much attention to the particulars up till now. Really all I want is something thats simple to use and updates automatically. I don't mind paying as long as it works well, internet security being one of the few things I actually will pay for online. An all-in-one program would be nice (anti-virus, firewall, etc). It would also be nice if they accept payments in £ rather than $ so I don't get stung for handling charges, but thats not an absolute necessity. Before anyone asks, I have no idea what my exact system specs are but its a mid-range Toshiba laptop running on XP. Since it handles Norton fine it should be able to handle most anti-virus software lol

belpegor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-12, 17:11   Link #84
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidas View Post
I've used AVG Antivirus and Sygate Personal Firewall (both free editions) for years and have never had any problems.
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-12, 19:05   Link #85
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Well, I've tried Norton up to 2 versions before the current one, it was ok more or less. I've tried Mcafee up to the current version, after the recent patches, it has gotten much better, although, like Norton, it draws too much memory. I had tried ZoneAlarm Internet Security up to a version before the current (the current had too many incompatibilies, I couldn't even install it). It seemed a bit picky and had its share of problems. If you can get it to work, it's very good though. There's also Trend Micro Internet Security and F-secure, but I haven't tried any of those recently.

Nod is very good, I've tried it up to the current version, it always delivers and it's extra light on the system. If you want just an antivirus and are willing to pay, get Nod. If you want something free, AVG Free is considered very good, although I've only recently installed it on one of my PCs, so I can't tell you much about it.

For firewalls, if you want something free, Sunbelt-Kerio Free version or Comodo are good but they can be a pain to configure (especially Comodo - lots of popups). If you want a commercial one, I'd take Outpost (which is a bit tricky to configure if you're not into a bit of technical stuff), or you could try the various Internet Security packages.

Anyway, if you want it easy, most IS packages has one month trial, there are at least 4-5 good ones to consider, so start the trials, see if they work well with your system, visit their support forums, and pick the one you like (although by the time you finish going through all the trials, if everything goes well, the new versions will come out ). Anyway, if you're going to go with the packages, it's best to try them all and see what works better with your PC. Otherwise, my personal preference is NOD and one of the mentioned standalone firewalls.

I'm currently using Mcafee Total Protection. It's getting better thanks to the patches, I'm currently not having much of a problem besides some minor quirks.

And just for the record, it's good installing a dedicated anti-spyware program. If you want something free, I'd suggest SpyBot-Search and Destroy, otherwise, get Spysweeper.
Old 2006-12-12, 21:23   Link #86
IRJustman
Founder, Sprocket Hole
*Fansubber

For my part, I use Sunbelt-Kerio for my personal firewall and AVG for antivirus. AVG now has an antispyware package which can operate in a free mode; you just don't get resident protection and automatic updates after the trial like you always do with AVG AV Free. You just have to manually update and run it.

Another suggestion: Consider changing your browser and e-mail programs. IE and OE are both huge entry vectors for malware of any kind.

No matter which browser or mailer you use, the best thing to do is view any unknown e-mail or website with a healthy dose of suspicion.

Ultimately, the best way to deal with viral, spyware or other malware infections is to not GET infected in the first place.

--Ian.
IRJustman is offline   Reply With Quote