AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-03-26, 22:00   Link #27201
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Couldn't they just hold off execution until they are 18?
Old 2013-03-26, 22:34   Link #27202
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Couldn't they just hold off execution until they are 18?
Given the natural lenght of the procedure, with all the appeal, they might not have to hold off the execution unless they would be very young but in such circonstance the death penalty would be a good idea.
Old 2013-03-26, 23:50   Link #27203
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
US Supreme Court already rule Death and Life Sentence for Minors to unconstitutional. The Max for under 18 defendants are Life with possibility of Parole.
Given the nature of the crime, they better show some openings in the law now because THAT was really the most gratuitous crime I've ever read about in my lifetime.

We talk about an extreme case here and the only way punishment would be deemed satisfying is for the jury and the judge to be ready in taking an extreme decision.
Old 2013-03-27, 02:37   Link #27204
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I don't really see the point of opening loopholes. Though the possibility of parole does bother me, the important thing is to take them off circulation and keep them there. Killing them, or even torturing them to death won't bring anyone back, it won't teach anyone anything, and it won't deter anyone crazy enough to do that sort of thing in the first place.
Old 2013-03-27, 03:07   Link #27205
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I don't really see the point of opening loopholes. Though the possibility of parole does bother me, the important thing is to take them off circulation and keep them there. Killing them, or even torturing them to death won't bring anyone back, it won't teach anyone anything, and it won't deter anyone crazy enough to do that sort of thing in the first place.
Yeah. As cliche as it sounds, an eye for an eye won't change the past.
Old 2013-03-27, 04:47   Link #27206
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

U.S. asks Liechtenstein for data in Swiss banking probe
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...92Q05U20130327
Quote:
U.S. prosecutors are asking Liechtenstein to hand over data on foundations and other financial vehicles as part of their investigation into tax evasion by wealthy Americans, the principality's international tax office said on Wednesday.
China's CITIC Securities taps Goldman model to hedge on global future
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...92P1BM20130326
Will it end up as irresponsible as its model ?
Old 2013-03-27, 05:11   Link #27207
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Actually, it more the idea that some American don't want to pay for someone like that to live in jail (perhaps even in somewhat confort, depending on the jail) for the rest of their life. No eye for an eye. They just don't want to spend money on them more than a bullet to the temple or chemicals for execution. Saving money, so to speak. Depending on if he has any labor in jail that is worth the thousands of dollars spent to keep one behind bars forever.
Old 2013-03-27, 05:55   Link #27208
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
China's CITIC Securities taps Goldman model to hedge on global future
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...92P1BM20130326
Will it end up as irresponsible as its model ?
The answers :

Quote:
Chinese regulators have recently allowed brokerages to expand their margin trading and short selling businesses, and will soon let them market mutual funds and act as market makers in the fledging over-the-counter equity market.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commentary
Well, here goes China’s economic success. Now that they are going to take on the bankster model, it is only a matter of time before goldman goes to china and bankrupts the chinese economy. the chinese real estate is already supposedly a bubble, now all we need is for goldman sachs crooks to go and ruin their economy.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-03-27, 06:35   Link #27209
killer3000ad

Aspiring rapper tweets 'YOLO' moments before car he's in crashes, killing all five men inside

He sure picked a great way to do it. For the record he wasn't the one driving and he will likely be remembered not for his short music career but the manner in which he died.
Old 2013-03-27, 06:38   Link #27210
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Actually, it more the idea that some American don't want to pay for someone like that to live in jail (perhaps even in somewhat confort, depending on the jail) for the rest of their life. No eye for an eye. They just don't want to spend money on them more than a bullet to the temple or chemicals for execution. Saving money, so to speak. Depending on if he has any labor in jail that is worth the thousands of dollars spent to keep one behind bars forever.
But the death penalty's generally more expensive than life without parole.
Old 2013-03-27, 08:49   Link #27211
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
But the death penalty's generally more expensive than life without parole.
Yep, multiple appeals, anti-capital punishment lobbying, govenors' pardons, etc.

The problem with the comparison though is "life without parole" isn't actually life. The maximum sentence terms usually mean people get out .. after ~25 odd years of living in the penal system and having no way to adjust to "normal" life again..
Old 2013-03-27, 11:15   Link #27212
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
Yep, multiple appeals, anti-capital punishment lobbying, govenors' pardons, etc.

The problem with the comparison though is "life without parole" isn't actually life. The maximum sentence terms usually mean people get out .. after ~25 odd years of living in the penal system and having no way to adjust to "normal" life again..
in the US, Life Without Parole means that, Life. 25 years refer to with Life with possibility of Parole.
Old 2013-03-27, 11:32   Link #27213
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
in the US, Life Without Parole means that, Life. 25 years refer to with Life with possibility of Parole.
Ah, my mistake, I didn't check the maximum sentence table on wikipedia. It's interesting that some more research shows that largely the costs associated with the death penalty have to do with legal proceeds and extra steps to ensure "fairness"

Wonder if anyone has ever stepped forward and came up with the "acceptable mistakes" argument..
Old 2013-03-27, 17:52   Link #27214
flying ^

I'm not holding my breath..... but if this does play out, it will be real funny to watch

http://www.calwatchdog.com/2013/03/2...sector-unions/
Old 2013-03-27, 20:14   Link #27215
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Supreme Court indicates it may strike down marriage law
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...92P04820130327
Old 2013-03-27, 20:54   Link #27216
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Supreme Court indicates it may strike down marriage law
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...92P04820130327
The reporter needs a little slapping around. You really can't make *any* prediction of a ruling based on the questions from the bench or whether the advocates put their feet in their mouths.

The SCOTUS is playing debate - examining all the sides of a an issue out loud, sometime's being their own devil's advocate - then they go bury themselves in judicial precedence and intent.
Old 2013-03-27, 20:56   Link #27217
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Girl nearly loses sight from infection

Quote:
A South Florida high school senior nearly lost her vision after a parasite grew on her contact lens and began eating through her cornea.

One of Ashley Hyde's eyes was red and throbbing but doctors couldn't figure out what was wrong.

"They did multiple cultures where they scrape your eye," she said. "One time, they had to drill into my eye. It was really nasty."
http://www.local10.com/thats-life/he...p/-/index.html

Old 2013-03-28, 03:22   Link #27218
Jaden

I believe the picture is unrelated. Crazy picture though.
Old 2013-03-28, 04:01   Link #27219
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by konart View Post
He wasn't an enemy of Putin. He was the one who made him president in the first place.

He just made several mistakes and became useless.

Also suspecting Puting in this is even more laughable that in Litvinenko's case
I was under the impression that towards the end of his career before taking asylum in UK, he had a fallout with Putin, and disagreed with him?

Putin being the lean mean killing machine is more of a joke.
Only people annoyed by it are the Ruskies.
Old 2013-03-28, 04:16   Link #27220
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
I believe the picture is unrelated. Crazy picture though.
That squigly thing on the eye is actually the parasitic worm...
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international