AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Old 2007-04-22, 14:35   Link #1581
aorta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Hmm if they did it wasn't very succesful. You should watch the Michael Jackson one. That one is good.
That one is a lot better. I also saw a video that inserts Lucky Channel during a scene in a space anime when the crew gets an incoming message.
aorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-22, 19:39   Link #1582
aorta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Level E View Post
hahaha

Found the reference
It's from the old anime 怪物くん (remake ver). YouTube
a better version that doesn't have the beginning cut off.
aorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-22, 21:12   Link #1583
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

While I'd be curious to know whether that translation is correct, it did crack me up, especially since I just finished taking a stats course.

(For those that don't get it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_distribution)
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-22, 23:06   Link #1584
mukansa monkey
Pink bug make Amu angry!

Quote:
You'v obviously never seen Armored Trooper Votoms, Escaflowne or Macross Plus have you. Not all Mecha series are like what you've just described. In fact I wouldn't even watch the series you just theorized because I would take it as an insult to the genre to be so uncreative. That's the typical attitude I see though is that mecha series can never be deep or intricate and always feature teenage angst and overpowered units. Mad Nug is also a terrible name for a series. Good god man come up with something better than that.

What brought this on anyway? I don't even remember saying anything relating to mecha in my last posts.
Macross Plus is great, but it's almost too military to be pure mecha. Escaflowne has all manner of teen angst, just happens to be a female. And while most people wouldn't call them mecha, shows like BGCrisis and Ghost in the Shell: SAC do involve people getting inside powered suits and using high-tech weapons. The trouble is that for a lot of people "mecha" as a genre is what I described, which is why they don't give it the credit you feel it deserves. I would submit that the popularity of KyoAni derives in no small part from their ability to rise above the conventions of the genres they have worked in. Or in the case of Lucky Star, to actively undermine them. Thus I think it's unfair of you to pigeonhole KyoAni as being some sort of one-trick pony that is mired in generic moe-generating loli comedy. They've done an unusually good job with the material they've brought to the screen, and even if they didn't do all of it (FMP etc), we can still point to the parts they are responsible for and be impressed.

Madnug is Gundam backwards. A totally unoriginal name without actually violating another studio's copyright. My point being that "original material" can still be generic crap, so why give a studio much credit simply for hiring an author to write them a new anime instead of picking an existing manga they want to work with? I think it's important to separate the work of artists (Lucky Star) from the derivative works of amateurs that may or may not suck (all these youtube videos) and their attitudes of slavish devotion to said artists.

So who here thinks that KyoAni has a lot of fans that take the studio's works more seriously than the studio themselves does? And, um... about how much longer do I have to wait for ep.3 to come out?
Old 2007-04-22, 23:15   Link #1585
mukansa monkey
Pink bug make Amu angry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
While I'd be curious to know whether that translation is correct, it did crack me up, especially since I just finished taking a stats course.

(For those that don't get it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_distribution)
Yes! Yes! I too eat cake with a normal distribution!! ALL HAIL MIKUYI-SAMA!!!!

:: falls out of his chair twitching ::
I feel... so moe... mediccc....
Old 2007-04-22, 23:19   Link #1586
~Tsukuyomi
[- Caramelldansen Spam -]

Quote:
Originally Posted by aorta View Post
a better version that doesn't have the beginning cut off.
Holy crud, the OP was also an old anime reference!? Sheesh, what other items did I not know???
~Tsukuyomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-22, 23:33   Link #1587
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPHaru View Post
Lucky Star + RockMan = WIN
That was one of the most creative things I've seen in a long time. It also made me miss my NES.
Old 2007-04-22, 23:41   Link #1588
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tsukuyomi View Post
Holy crud, the OP was also an old anime reference!? Sheesh, what other items did I not know???
Haha, my thoughts exactly. Kaibutsu-kun aired in 1968 and 1969, quite a few years before I was even born. No way I would've ever gotten that reference on my own; it's not like I have the luxury of having the influence of an anime-loving gamer-dad like some people.

Thanks for posting the vid, aorta.
Risaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-22, 23:48   Link #1589
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by mukansa monkey View Post

So who here thinks that KyoAni has a lot of fans that take the studio's works more seriously than the studio themselves does?
Me. I've never really hated the company as some think, I just like to pick on them for having more fanboys than the next company. Kind of in an immature "You've Got a girlfriend nanananana" way.

I also couldn't fault them for pushing moe-loli comedy since everybody kind of is doing that right now. It's just with others its "Oh my god awesome Kawaii Loli's!" and with Kyoto Animation it's "OH MY GOD AWESOME FRIGGING KYOANI MOE LOLI BRAGGHHHH......HARUHI"! And you know what I don't even really care, it's just my pastime to poke fun at them for having a figurative yes man in the fan groups following them around everywhere saying "Please Sir I want Some More", and "Oh you are numbah one win always forever" (mostly 2-channers). And really, most of these people that are that rabid are just people that post on Youtube all the time and can't think for themselves and will latch onto whatever is popular, the rest are just there to watch and enjoy (though, unfortunately the latter group aren't the movers and shakers that make things happen regarding what Kyoto Animation decides to do. Is Kyoto Animation going to try and please the group that just sits back and enjoys, or the group thats either going to buy the whole merchandise collection if things work out for them, or mail-bomb them into oblivion if they don't do exactly as the hardcore fans want).

I also like to make light of that situation I just put in brackets, because now Kyoto Animation has ended up in a position where its going to be difficult for them to deviate to much from what their fans want. Lucky Star is about as close as they'll get in deviation, and its already proving to be a tightrope walk for them.

And Haruhi is starting to look more and more like a one-shot fluke of perfect timing to me as well as being a fun summer show (It really didn't have any strong competetion or even average competetion like Lucky Star has this season, I mean seriously it could easily trample everything else airing during that season to dust and nobody would care or deny its supremacy as the only good show airing at the time). Their shows will still be popular, because they know what they are doing, but in a good way rather than a "You said what about Haruhi? I kill you".

So on the dislike scale of Kyoto Animation it's an appearance of 8/10, but really and truthfully its something more like negative 2/10. I really don't care for some of the crazier fans though who I swear would want to lynch me if I ever met them in person.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-04-23 at 00:10.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 00:50   Link #1590
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
I really don't care for some of the crazier fans though who I swear would want to lynch me if I ever met them in person.
If you want to fight a war, don't be surprised if you get shot at, Kaioshin-onesama. Don't expect us to be rational when you are not.
Old 2007-04-23, 01:09   Link #1591
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukansa monkey View Post
Yes! Yes! I too eat cake with a normal distribution!! ALL HAIL MIKUYI-SAMA!!!!

:: falls out of his chair twitching ::
I feel... so moe... mediccc....
So, uh, how exactly does one eat cake with a normal distribution? Because speculating about that has been making my brain hurt...
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 01:20   Link #1592
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
If you want to fight a war, don't be surprised if you get shot at, Kaioshin-onesama. Don't expect us to be rational when you are not.
Are you going to lynch me? . No probably not. I don't think you even qualify as the type of person I'm talking about for the fact that you always have your thinking cap on.
Old 2007-04-23, 01:34   Link #1593
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I don't think a "war" was being suggested. I *expect* rational behavior and I expect people to behave civilly. ... and I believe so do the mods, eh?

Back to topic, despite the fact I dearly love a lot of what KyoAni has put out, there are 'fans' that take their shows far more seriously than is healthy. Lucky*Star is a nice little show that does the kind of humor I like in a format I like --- it did its job in that the pre-season noise led me to purchase the manga (which I do not regret).
Old 2007-04-23, 01:48   Link #1594
Nemo_N
Anime Leecher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
...there are 'fans' that take their shows far more seriously than is healthy...
This is sadly true; some people expect every anime to be deep, meaningful, morally ambiguous, etc., depriving themselves from other shows that can be very enjoyable (i.e. Lucky Star).

I read somewhere that japanese anime-watchers take it less seriously, which would explain the avalanche of harem, fanservicey shows that we get every season.

I do like to watch stuff with more substance every now and then, but I think that watching shows with the "ruler of deep, meaningful anime" out, ready to measure the show, is bad for the soul .
Nemo_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 02:25   Link #1595
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo_N View Post
This is sadly true; some people expect every anime to be deep, meaningful, morally ambiguous, etc., depriving themselves from other shows that can be very enjoyable (i.e. Lucky Star).

I read somewhere that japanese anime-watchers take it less seriously, which would explain the avalanche of harem, fanservicey shows that we get every season.

I do like to watch stuff with more substance every now and then, but I think that watching shows with the "ruler of deep, meaningful anime" out, ready to measure the show, is bad for the soul .
There's actually just a tiny bit more to it than that. There are two types of Hardcore fan branches I've found that exist in the vast fanbase of loli-moe anime. There are those that would feel they must love Lucky Star as if it were the gospel coming from a company they deem to be some sort of church of loli-moe handing out the occasional sermon, and there are those who feel that because it can't live up to whatever inflated sense of expectations they have conjured up regarding the trend that it is unworthy (or they can't tell the difference between parody and promotion).

And yes some people really do think that loli-moe is the absolute pinnacle of storytelling (See some of the Key fans for example who live, eat and breath the games storylines instead of just watching them, taking them in for what they are, the drama and the comedy, and moving on to the next series. Sure Key has better loli-moe romance stories than most H-Game companies, but come on it's no Shakespeare. I also single out Key in this case because I know of no other company with fans that worship the characters in their eroge to that degree. Maybe Leaf/Aquaplus or the company that did Higurashi qualifies as well.) rather than light entertainment with a splash of comedy and drama in places. I think people also shouldn't cross-reference genres too much either. If there is a genre or company that I would deem unyieldingly flawless in every aspect of what it puts out, or one that is absolute garbage without any merit, I have yet to see it. That's why I think that exclusive worship or exclusive hatred of any genre or company is unfair (And as much as I gripe about SEGA actually, they did have a phenomenal run of games in the 90's).

For this I am hoping Konata will get to poke fun at hardcore eroge fans who worship the characters and storylines. I haven't seen her father, but I can almost imagine Kyoto Animation will work him in with an Ayu T-Shirt preeching about something to do with his latest character route moving him to tears and Konata just rolling her eyes at him. If they could get in Gundam without having to censor the crap out of everything I wouldn't mind seeing what she thinks of guy's like me who are into shiny robots and war-drama (I'd like to think my like of Mecha is wholesome though and I'm not outside with a glazed look in my eyes trying to build the Zeta Gundam out of scrap metal in my backyard in like five years).

Okay that wasn't actually a tiny bit, most of it ended up being the usual rambling that comes when I think to hard about something. Maybe I'm overly devoted to thinking and need parodying. Alright I'll stop.
Old 2007-04-23, 03:09   Link #1596
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:

And yes some people really do think that loli-moe is the absolute pinnacle of storytelling
Your paranoia is at work again and it is unhealthy.

P.S: I like my moé, but if I really want breathtaking storytelling or characterization I'll always go for the BIG WALL OF TEXT found in classics like Foucault's Pendulum, Dune or Earthsea. And as for war genre, there are wonderful things like Das Boot or Platoon.

PPS: Now if I want to be fair with the japanese media, my favorite storytelling go to Miura's "Berserk", Clamp's "RG Veda", Kishiro's "Gunnm" and "Gunnm": Last Order, Otomo's "Akira", Araki's "JoJo Bizarre Adventure", Endo's "Eden". And my attention is caught by Shindo's "Red Eyes", it have the potential to win or fail epic and it is good so far, it deals with war, do it as gritty as possible and mechs are as "realistic" as I can assume them doable, ressource-wise, for they are powered armorsuits (when they are taller than a 10 meters building, does feats that would be almost impossible for an human pilot even assisted with the most powered operating system as we can imagine, I have goosebumps. So I am biased in favor of powersuits and cyborgs).

Last edited by Sheba; 2007-04-23 at 03:23.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 03:25   Link #1597
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

@Kaioshin-chan (since people were complaining about me quoting our moe little tsundere the last time...)

Well, okay. So, first I'll state that I'm not intending to pick on you when I'm putting forth my next statements.

Now that we have that clear.....well, okay. So you're poking fun at the rabid KyoAni fanboys.

Now, the question; why are you poking fun at the rabid KyoAni fanboys here? They generally don't lurk here, so your firing potshots at them in this forum kinda misses the point.

We here at Animesuki are just rational anime fans who just want to enjoy our anime in peace, that's all.

You really should take your little war to 2chan, where it belongs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Your paranoia is at work again and it is unhealthy.
Quoted for truth.
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 03:35   Link #1598
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
@Kaioshin-chan (since people were complaining about me quoting our moe little tsundere the last time...)

Well, okay. So, first I'll state that I'm not intending to pick on you when I'm putting forth my next statements.

Now that we have that clear.....well, okay. So you're poking fun at the rabid KyoAni fanboys.

Now, the question; why are you poking fun at the rabid KyoAni fanboys here? They generally don't lurk here, so your firing potshots at them in this forum kinda misses the point.

We here at Animesuki are just rational anime fans who just want to enjoy our anime in peace, that's all.

You really should take your little war to 2chan, where it belongs.

Quoted for truth.
I'm pretty active elsewhere actually. Or rather I was until I stopped bothering to care when things worked out regarding more variety in anime this season. It just keeps building each week so I'm just kind of poking around. I don't even think I dislike loli-moe stuff anymore. I've developed a tolerance that borders on a very mild liking of some of it. Or at least it amuses me more now, rather than upsets me. It's just there now rather than all that's there. I can easily live with that and accept loli-moe as it comes. So what else is it you want from me now?
Old 2007-04-23, 05:28   Link #1599
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Let's see, was there anything else...?

*thinks*

Nah. Not for the moment....I think.
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 08:22   Link #1600
Lucky_Day
Living Lucky Legend

When I showed my sister in law the Lucky Channel segment from episode 1 of Lucky Star, she asked me about Akira Kogami's sleeves. They are several sizes too long for her. I told her it was a Japanese joke. After giving it some thought I came up with my own Akira Kogami Sleeve Theory. I think it is symbolic of the girl pop star being placed in a role usually taken by someone considerably older than her. On the other hand, it could be just because it is considered kawaii.
Lucky_Day is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, comptiq, kadokawa, school life, seinen