I dislike her.. 87 9.84%
I HATE HER. 143 16.18%
Other. 16 1.81%
Voters: 884. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-09-22, 11:30   Link #1221
Ichigo&Rukia

Quote:
Orihime and Rukia have both had complex and difficult pasts. Yet, Orihime's much more cheerful than Rukia, isn't she? She's actually someone I can see myself hanging out with in real life. I understand Rukia is a woman of confidence and dignity, something all women aspire to and certain men idiolize, but she's free from passion. Orihime fills in that gap for me. She brings a tasteful drama to the show which Rukia hasn't really done.
Orihime is not "more cheerful" , this is jsut her personality-bubbly. Rukia isn't bubbly but I see a lot of characters in Bleach like her and like hanging around her.
Tasteful drama? More like annoying drama and the same one I see in every chapter.
Do you think any GROWN woman act like Orihime? She'll act like this until she turns 25 for instance. Her behaviour is sometimes immature and can be annoying at times.
Old 2008-09-22, 11:50   Link #1222
Blerghovic
Meh

Usually I would quote somone's post and use it as an example, but since most people are saying pretty much the same things I think it would take too long.

Firstly, Orihime and Rukia both had bad childhoods, neither of them had easy lives; Rukia lived in a very dangeous area of S.S, lost friends and was abandoned by her sister, whereas Orihime was abused by her parents, lost her brother (who was basically her father) and was bullied. However, that's not to say that they haven't had good parts to their lives either, so let's not take away from that. Also, they had different types of bad childhoods, which make them difficult to compare.

Secondly, from an adult's point of view, Rukia would be an adult and Orihime would be a child (admittedly one nearing adulthood, but still a child), therefore, when people say things Rukia is more mature than Orihime or Orihime doesn't deal with things as well as her, I sigh in exasperation. Orihime is a teenage girl (who is a CENTURY younger than Rukia) dealing with a mostly one-sided love, supernatural powers and people tryng to kill her or kidnap her. So I personally think that she's dealing with things pretty admirably.

And finally, I don't care what people say about Orihime being pathetic during this arc, Rukia was practically identical when she was imprisoned, so to anyone who wants to use that as some kind of reason to prove that Rukia is a much better character than Orihime, it's a pointless argument.
Old 2008-09-22, 12:46   Link #1223
Casshern

Imo, none of the characters in bleach are truly mature. For all intents and purposes, age in bleach doesn't mean squat since nobody acts appropriately for their years. Shunsui is a skirtchaser, Ukitake is timid, Kenpachi lives in his own personal bloodsoaked playground, Ishin is a baby, Toushiro... is just Toushiro... the list goes on. Everyone is characterised by an immature personallity trait.

There's only one exception, and that's Unohanna. I'm not gonna mention Genryusai, since noone really knows what's going on in that kuso-jiji's mind.

Anyway, I'm not saying that Rukia is mature or immature (imo all the main cast is about equally mature), I'm just saying that in my opinion age doesn't matter much in bleach.
Old 2008-09-22, 12:52   Link #1224
cloak_and_dagger
Hei aka Li Xiansheng
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichigo&Rukia View Post
Do you think any GROWN woman act like Orihime? She'll act like this until she turns 25 for instance. Her behaviour is sometimes immature and can be annoying at times.
1.Orihime is not grown.
2.How do you know that she'll act like that till 25? I find you to be a fair person, but sometimes your statements reflect bias against Orihime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiraishin View Post
And finally, I don't care what people say about Orihime being pathetic during this arc, Rukia was practically identical when she was imprisoned, so to anyone who wants to use that as some kind of reason to prove that Rukia is a much better character than Orihime, it's a pointless argument.
True, but some people have a bias against one or the other character, so arguments will always continue.
Old 2008-09-22, 13:10   Link #1225
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichigo&Rukia View Post
And you are placing Orihime on too high also and not realizing how she is pathetic and all but blah who am I to say that? Nobody. You don't judge arguments you insult those who say them. Which means you can't disprove ANYTHING. If all you can say is "you are biased" when the same can be applied to YOUR Orihime fandom, please don't tell me I bash. At least I bash characters not people.
What's even more weird is you say you don't bash or insult Rukia yet you babble about her having pennis or whatever it was, I was too sleepy to read the whole thing and say she is bully beater. :heh condraticting yourself or something?xD
How old are you anyway? You don't have to tell me, just askin..

And Orihime was SO social :heh
Kaien didn't beat it in her head. He just became her friend and we have no real proof that Rukia was anti-social, people made fun of her in Kuchiki clan as you can see from one of the chapters. Problem is, Rukia didn't become damsel in distress and is not always stuck in same situation as Orihime.

You saying Rukia didn't try making friends, then how about YOU pointed that in one chapter Orihime said I even stopped talking at school what kind of trying to improve is that?
Also, we are talking about Rukia in Kuchiki clan and Academy not before. Rukia in Kuchiki clan and Academy is NOT happy Rukia.
I'm not saying Rukia has worse past, she just handles situation better.
so much wrong in this post...
Old 2008-09-22, 15:23   Link #1226
ruote

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post

Anyway, some of you are forgetting that Orihime was constantly abused by her classmates for all her life until Tatsuki started protecting her 2 years ago.

Here's a quickie on the difference of their childhood.

Rukia's, full of smiley faces and good times;

Spoiler for image:

Orihime; you get the picture...

Spoiler for image:

Look at that rukia's smile, how can you tell us that Rukia is not a cheerful character?
here's another one...

Spoiler for ch. 65:

Rukia is tough, She won't let others beat her up for such a lame reason, she can fight back!
Orihime just let them beat her up, she could've told to her teachers about that bullying... no seriously, she did nothing about it...
Old 2008-09-22, 15:34   Link #1227
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

Quote:
no seriously, she did nothing about it...
this is a fact, yes? or is it the usual Speculation Fiesta?
Old 2008-09-22, 15:37   Link #1228
Langus
Optimus Prime

I don't get why this is such a big deal.

Okay so I think it has been pretty soundly established by both sides that Orihime and Rukia had difficult lives growing up. Whether they have been shown smiling in some scenes from their youth does not mean that they were actually happy (Orihime in particular is fond of putting on a 'happy' face when she doesn't feel that way).

Why can't we all just walk away from this agreeing that they both had a tough time of it so they are BOTH sympathetic characters?

This thread is starting to tread on the ever taboo Rukia vs. Orihime territory. We already had one shipping thread shut down because of nonsense like this so why not keep this one to its primary objective and stop with the comparisons (especially since they serve no purpose whatsoever)?
Old 2008-09-22, 15:38   Link #1229
cloak_and_dagger
Hei aka Li Xiansheng
*Graphic Designer

I believe the latter....
Old 2008-09-22, 15:45   Link #1230
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
There are many things you're not taking into account. S.S. is a completely different culture altogether. I've said this dozens of times already. What Rukia and Renji went through is considered normal, just as it would be considered normal a few hundred years ago here on our very earth. Its nothing to sympathesize for.
That is, in my very humble opinion, a generalization to the highest degree.

Before I continue, I'm not calling out HT here, but this particular argument that is taking place at the moment which is asking whose life was more miserable. Ah yeah, we are the spectators who are watching things to unfold and judging to see who had the worst life so we can throw our two cents worth of support behind our favorite character by playing the sympathy card? Meaning, whoever was more miserable in life should be the outright fan favorite?

It's a very silly argument when fans try to determine whose life was more miserable between two people. The fact is, at the end of a very pointless and prolong argument, they were both miserable at some part of their life. To give an extreme example, it's like trying to determine which death was more painful between two people: death by drowning or death by burning? The fact of the matter is, they are both dead. ( Ta-da )....... regardless of the argument who had died more painfully.

Rukia and Orihime both went through misery at one point of their lives. Trying to determine who went through more misery doesn't take away of the fact, they were both miserable.

Btw, I personally thought the area surrounding SS to be one screwed up place. The anime has delved into that subject and the kind of things that go in there very clear more than in one occasion. All the story about how a shinigami's life suddenly become golden once they joined SS, seems to give a pretty good indication about the kind of life that exist outside of those walls. I'm so very much hoping SS will be completely stripped away by the time Aizen-sama is done with it. SS isn't any better than the Hollow-world, so any self-righteous attitude the SS tries to demonstrate..... gah... it just ticks me off. Perhaps, that's why I like Kenpachi so much!?
Old 2008-09-22, 15:46   Link #1231
ruote

I don't even understand why Rukia's name always dragged in this thread.

It seems they're saying people can't hate her because she had a very tough life, duh almost everyone in bleach had tragic pasts...
Old 2008-09-22, 16:31   Link #1232
blue skies
noch einmal?

First of all, whoever gave me that neg rep can bite me. I am allowed an opinion, no matter how wishy-washy or fence-straddling it may seem to you. But I've never been called a hippy before, so thanks for the laugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langus View Post
I don't get why this is such a big deal.

Okay so I think it has been pretty soundly established by both sides that Orihime and Rukia had difficult lives growing up. Whether they have been shown smiling in some scenes from their youth does not mean that they were actually happy (Orihime in particular is fond of putting on a 'happy' face when she doesn't feel that way).

Why can't we all just walk away from this agreeing that they both had a tough time of it so they are BOTH sympathetic characters?

This thread is starting to tread on the ever taboo Rukia vs. Orihime territory. We already had one shipping thread shut down because of nonsense like this so why not keep this one to its primary objective and stop with the comparisons (especially since they serve no purpose whatsoever)?
Couldn't agree more. It doesn't matter who had a worse past or which girl smiled less. Just because Orihime has a sad history doesn't mean you have to like her, and the same goes for Rukia. It's a stupid argument to make.

Besides that, I get the impression that Orihime doesn't dwell on the past (excluding her brother, of course). She tries her best to move on and be happy, like when she met Tatsuki and the bullying stopped. She remembers it, but it's not something she thinks of constantly and she doesn't let it define who she is. Regardless, she's going to have to quit relying on others so much at some point. Hopefully soon.
Old 2008-09-22, 18:32   Link #1233
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Apparently, the reason why the whole past thing was brought up was forgotten. People were complaining about Orihime's personality, then other people were explaining the reason why she is the way she is. And the way a person grew up reflects how they are presently. Its basic psychology.

And Rukia was brought up, because after some said Rukia had a bad past too, blah blah, then some say, she wasn't as miserable as you think, blah blah, and she's older than dirt, so she had time to reconcile with herself, blah blah.

Hope that clears things up.
Old 2008-09-22, 18:53   Link #1234
Hari Michiru
Insane Fangirl
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakashi View Post
Orihime and Rukia have both had complex and difficult pasts. Yet, Orihime's much more cheerful than Rukia, isn't she? She's actually someone I can see myself hanging out with in real life. I understand Rukia is a woman of confidence and dignity, something all women aspire to and certain men idiolize, but she's free from passion. Orihime fills in that gap for me. She brings a tasteful drama to the show which Rukia hasn't really done.
I guess their differences have to do with personality. Even as a kid, Rukia wasn't the most open person ever, while Orihime was quite open. For me, I like the cold, detached characters better ^^.

Quote:
Thats a hope that won't happen, might as well hope Rukia sproats a penis and make explicit yaoi love with Toshiro.
And you said that you didn't hate Rukia...

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Old 2008-09-22, 19:55   Link #1235
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

Orihime was open? >.> well...I guess after she met Tatski
Old 2008-09-22, 21:44   Link #1236
Hari Michiru
Insane Fangirl
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjTrizz View Post
Orihime was open? >.> well...I guess after she met Tatski
Open as in...showing more visible emotion.

Old 2008-09-22, 22:56   Link #1237
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

ah, that's the ticket
Old 2008-09-22, 22:59   Link #1238
Hari Michiru
Insane Fangirl
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjTrizz View Post
ah, that's the ticket
Sorry for not being clear, hahaha. My brain's been muddled up 'cuz I'm sick, and my voice is dead.

Old 2008-09-23, 09:47   Link #1239
Ichigo&Rukia

Quote:
so much wrong in this post...
Mind saying WHY? Haha, I can go "sooo wrong post" about every Orihime lover and not say anything.
Quote:
And you said that you didn't hate Rukia...
Because he is pretending to be unbiased while blaming every Rukia lover/ Orihime hater.
Quote:
Couldn't agree more. It doesn't matter who had a worse past or which girl smiled less. Just because Orihime has a sad history doesn't mean you have to like her, and the same goes for Rukia. It's a stupid argument to make.
Orihime lover or not, I admire you. Someone had to say that.
Old 2008-09-23, 17:12   Link #1240
CMSensei
Formerly -> CMHerrera
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari Michiru View Post
Open as in...showing more visible emotion.
Yea she does show more emotion.. most of the time you know what shes felling.

CM-san's Mystical Creations

"The one who can win
against me, is me!"

- Daiki Aomine
Closed Thread