AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2012-09-10, 18:49   Link #1081
Qilin
Romanticist

I recently watched Confessions (2010) or Kokuhaku in Japan, and I hardly have any bad things to say about it. Firstly, the movie draws you in with the surreal ambiance courtesy of the stylistic directing and music. Then, it proceeds to bash you on the head with its scathing critique of Japanese society, as well as that of human nature in general. Finally, if nothing else, the movie is still amusing as a psychological thriller at the end of the day. It's a win-win situation, I believe.

Also, not quite as recently but still relatively recent, I watched Total Recall (2012). I found myself genuinely impressed. I mean, I entered the movie house expecting a generic action flick and... my expectations were actually quite accurate. But still, the movie managed to bring up several interesting themes involving metaphysics and the nature of reality. Not to mention, there were also some juicy bits of relevant social commentary to enjoy. Unfortunately, the movie spent too much of its time on special effects and explosions that it hard had any time to explore these themes in depth.
Old 2012-09-11, 01:12   Link #1082
Xefi
癸亥 (guǐhài)
*Graphic Designer

"Watching some old school Fists of Fury i love Donnie Yen's stuff"
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Mahjong Dragon
Spoiler:

The Blacksheep Affair
Spoiler:

Last edited by Xefi; 2012-09-11 at 01:23.
Xefi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-11, 01:16   Link #1083
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Battle Royal and I saw the Devil, both were really good movies. I Saw the Devil was rather quite appealing to me because of my love for vengeance stories. Battle Royal, very crazy and really just overall interesting film.

Though the dream I got after watching Battle Royal was rather... disturbing.
Old 2012-09-14, 01:52   Link #1084
Xefi
癸亥 (guǐhài)
*Graphic Designer

Kill Zone
YouTube
Spoiler:
Old 2012-09-21, 22:55   Link #1085
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen on TV. I'd rather have every stereotype and cliche rape my ears for 2 hours straight whilst a child bangs pieces of metal together and Megan Fox sits around being a talking breast. Oh wait.

Last edited by Hiroi Sekai; 2012-09-21 at 23:16.
Hiroi Sekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-22, 02:56   Link #1086
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

While both are award winning historical epic trying to recreate lost times , both are equally flawed.

One has too much focus on the main melodramatic plot, the other balantly drops historical facts for the more popular public misconceptions about the topic's time and life.

While I prefer the plot and actions in Gladiator , the immersion factor of Titanic remains unrivaled till date, Avatar comes close but it doesn't have a lore behind it and so remains somewhat detached.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-22, 07:25   Link #1087
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I rewatched for probably the dozenth time Bill Forsyth's brilliant comedy Local Hero which I discovered on YouTube the other day. It's probably in my top-ten list, and certainly in the top twenty.

Images
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-25, 10:44   Link #1088
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I watched the strange, disturbing, but powerful Beasts of the Southern Wild last night. It's an allegory about life in the Mississippi Delta south of New Orleans with indirect references to hurricane Katrina and global warming. Six-year-old Quvenzhané Wallis deserves the Best Actress award for 2012.

Reviews: A. O. Scott/New York Times, David Denby/The New Yorker, Roger Ebert/Chicago Sun-Times
Old 2012-09-25, 16:24   Link #1089
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

Recently saw Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy on DVD and I really enjoyed it. I can't wait read the book.
Old 2012-09-25, 17:18   Link #1090
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elo the Blue View Post
Recently saw Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy on DVD and I really enjoyed it. I can't wait read the book.
I'm guessing you saw the movie version. I recommend also watching the original mini-series from the BBC with Alec Guinness as Smiley and, of course, reading the novel. Le Carré is pretty much the master of Cold War spy fiction set in Britain. His The Spy who Came in from the Cold was also adapted into an excellent film with Richard Burton in the lead role. In the States it's available on Amazon Instant Video which makes me think it should be available from lovefilm.com as well.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2012-09-25 at 17:29.
Old 2012-09-29, 13:43   Link #1091
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Xefi, maybe you missed the topic, but this is a thread about live-action movies, not anime series. Anime movies are probably fair game here, too.
Old 2012-09-30, 08:31   Link #1092
spikexp

The raid
The English dub suck, but I didn't watch the movie for the acting, just for the fight scene, and I was served.
spikexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-30, 23:40   Link #1093
Revelation
lorem ipsum dolor sit ame
*Artist

Just saw Looper! Amazing film and solid performance to say the least. Apart from some plot holes that ussually come with time travelling, this film is incredibly engaging on both a cerebral and emotional level. I definintely reccomended this as one of the better movies of 2012. Now I'm off to write a paper on it for an ethics class. Too bad I have to spoil the teacher.
Old 2012-10-06, 23:18   Link #1094
Kmos

Just watched Castaway on the Moon off a suggestion made on another site. It's a Korean romcom about a debt ridden guy living off an island very close to society. A hikikomori-like girl chances on him through her telephoto camera lens.
Kmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-30, 08:28   Link #1095
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

The Dark Knight Rises and Inception. Really good fun just all around.

P.S. Gordon-Levitt's a good looker, no homo. Just like seeing him kick some ass, just as how Hardy did in DKR.
Old 2012-12-11, 16:34   Link #1096
willx
Nyaaan~~

Lincoln - Man, was that an outstanding performance by Daniel Day-Lewis

I must admit having seen The King's Speech .. I'd admit that I enjoyed that one more, but if we compare Oscar winning performances, I think DDL is definitely going to be a favorite this year. They definitely don't spare putting ole' "Honest Abe" on a pedestal though.

Outlook: Positive
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-11, 16:37   Link #1097
Kizoku Keenan
ばか =)

Bought the special edition steel box dark knight rises blu ray last eek and got round to watching it last next, was only the 2nd time watching Dark knight rises since seeing it in the cinema and god damn its just as good the 2nd time round.

One question though...why the hell doe's batman/Bruce wayne still talk in that gruff voice when he is talking to someone who knows he is Bruce Wayne???
Old 2012-12-14, 23:54   Link #1098
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

I recently watched 12 Angry Men again for the 2nd time in half a year, but dang, no matter how much time I watch it, it is so interesting. It's something I don't see in movies these days, but no CG, no action, no blood. Black and White! Old! All it has to keep the attention of the audience is the content! Nothing to cloud the actual quality of the script. Talking! One and a half hour! And it keeps you focused on the movie!

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-15, 14:25   Link #1099
Alchemist007
*Author

The Hobbit was pretty nice. It was well paced, and a bit more light hearted than LOTR (as was the book supposedly). I'm looking forward to the next two films. Might even pick up JRR's books sometime in the future.
Old 2012-12-16, 05:37   Link #1100
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

The Hobbit, yesterday in YesMax. A great prequel to LoTR. Lot's of quotes from the book.
ninryu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
live-action, movie, movies