Codex

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
well, for ep13 description
Spoiler:

Spoiler for the sake of a spoiler tag:

But anyway, this is the text of the summary for episode 13:

Spoiler:

I think I interpret the summary differently.

Spoiler:
Old 2004-09-14, 00:17   Link #103
runpsicat
Engrishator
*Fansubber

This is an unpleasant surprise to us, too. I'm personally rather miffed since I love historical stuff, and this reincarnated-to-fulfill-one's-destiny plot device is really too cliche. We'll keep going and hope for the best, though. At least we now know why Mansairaku has red streaks in his hair... He was destined to be reborn as a Harajuku punk with nose rings and tatoos.
Old 2004-09-14, 11:47   Link #104
BluWacky
尻の竜

There's apparently more info in this interview - from my Babelfishing it certainly discusses moving the story in this somewhat unexpected direction, but I can't understand the nuances of it fairly obviously.
Old 2004-09-14, 23:01   Link #105
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluWacky
There's apparently more info in this interview - from my Babelfishing it certainly discusses moving the story in this somewhat unexpected direction, but I can't understand the nuances of it fairly obviously.
The passage in question should be the last part of the interview. (First part deals with music...)

The passage translates to (with a little bit of added information)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Production I.G. Animation Producer, Katsuji Morishita
Currently, the stage is set in the Heian Period, however the Heian chapter would be concluded in the 13th episode, starting with the 14th episode, the series would be shifted to a new stage.

Today, the voicedubbing of the conclusion of the Heian chapter (episode 13) will be done, howevever, the earth-shattering climax might bring out unexpected tears and would not cheapen the development of the story. I think without fail, on close inspection, the 14th episode and hereafter will be watched without a break and received very well
Quote:
Originally Posted by Series Framework Supervisor, Yoshiki Sakurai
That is to say, originally "Otogizoushi" was a bunch of legends compiled by the rock-solid mountain of a man, Urashima Tarou. Its story of Shuten-douji was expanded on and fabricated for the anime "Otogizoushi".

Though I wrote a lot of the scripts for "Ghost in the Shell (SAC)", this was a Sci-Fi setting and I thought "I want to do samurai sword fights". Especially one set in a period which compared to one in the Edo Period or the Sengo(Civil War) Period, is one not many people have seen. I thought one set in the Heian Period, which marks a transition with the dawning of the samurais, would be interesting.

From the 14th episode, we would shift the story's setting to today's 2004. With regards to the characters, they would be introduced as is but clad in today's fashions. The new setting can be said to be a new Otogizoushi.

That the setting is in the present-day, the setting up of this creation can be said to be easy, as the modern person does not feel close to the Heian Period, we felt that it would be interesting to prepare a "Otogizoushi" set in 2004.

Due to the anime being shown late at night, there will be people with thoughts of going to sleep. However, if Tuesday late nights can be thought as "Today is Otogizoushi Day", the TV series will have an established following. If it is boring, please turn it off (laughs).

I will try my best after this.
Old 2004-09-14, 23:30   Link #106
Codex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yebyosh
"the earth-shattering climax might bring out unexpected tears"
Okay, that pretty much settles it. Now all we need is a poll.

Who dies?
A. Hikaru
B. Mansairaku
C. Both A and B
Old 2004-09-15, 07:34   Link #107
glyph

[EDIT: Oops, silly me. Completely forgot about hunterx's question. What is so wrong about the idea of this possible new arc is that ... well, these characters are from ancient folklore. The setting is ancient Japan. The watercolour backgrounds, the art style, the music ...everything enhances the feel of this dignified legend of a story. - it is the feel of 'Otogizoushi'. The modern-day sort of new arc isn't bad in itself ... it is just too sudden and incongruous with what has come before.][/QUOTE]

Yeah, the 'mission from a past life' concept sounds more 'Pretty Soldier Sailor Hikaru' than Otogizoushi. I seriously hope the setting shift was planned from the start and not done to simply boost ratings. As

"That the setting is in the present-day, the setting up of this creation can be said to be easy, as the modern person does not feel close to the Heian Period, we felt that it would be interesting to prepare a "Otogizoushi" set in 2004.
"

would seem to suggest. If not, why didn't they use a modern setting with flashbacks to the past from the start?
Old 2004-09-15, 09:31   Link #108
wao
OK.

Actually, regarding that shocking development from ep 14 onwards, I'm wondering why they seem to have left this hanging in the air: from the description of Mansairaku's character on the NTV site

Spoiler for possible spoiler, but I don't even know if the'yre still going to go with this:

I really really really hope they can pull it off well. Otogizoushi was doing pretty well and was getting fans... hm... dammit, but it's just so absurd, I've never heard of it in my life...

ALso, how are they going to continue the Hikaru/Mansairaku relationship if they keep the ages the same? In the older context their age gap (5 years) wasn't all that obvious and anyway it wasn't such a big thing, but in more modern times, 17 year old and 22 year old.... eh.... Mansairaku better turn 17 too :<
Old 2004-09-15, 15:16   Link #109
jalana
Editorizor of Fansubs

Nah, a 17-yr-old and a 22-yr-old isn't as disturbing as, oh say, a 13-yr-old and a 18-yr-old.
Old 2004-09-16, 00:11   Link #110
hunterx
ore wa kanpeki da

I don't mind the new arc. What would you have a 13episode series or a bonus addition to see if the animators can be creative with it. Give em a chance. If you don't like it just stop watching when the current arc ends
Old 2004-09-16, 06:31   Link #111
wao
OK.

Okay, well I just watched episode 11, ...

Spoiler:

Now when I watch the eps I just don't know how the heck they'll continue the story in modern times. But yes, it will be interesting, and if it works well then we'll remember it. I'm less likely to think Production I.G. will screw it up though, unlike Gonzo...
Old 2004-09-16, 14:29   Link #112
hitokirigirl
Japanestyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
Okay, well I just watched episode 11, ...

Spoiler:
just watched ep 9 and 10

Spoiler:
Old 2004-09-16, 19:38   Link #113
Codex

Spoiler for Mansairaku speculation:
Old 2004-09-16, 20:22   Link #114
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codex
Spoiler for Mansairaku speculation:
Well,
Spoiler:
Old 2004-09-17, 07:20   Link #115
wao
OK.

Don't worry, I'll join you and fly to Japan to throttle the writers if they make Mansairaku == Seimei.

It's juts that, though, ... WHERE in the world is Mansairaku at this point of time? Cleverly avoiding everything? Maybe he'll.....
Spoiler for not really a spoiler, just a speculation :O:
Old 2004-09-17, 10:00   Link #116
hitokirigirl
Japanestyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
Don't worry, I'll join you and fly to Japan to throttle the writers if they make Mansairaku == Seimei.

It's juts that, though, ... WHERE in the world is Mansairaku at this point of time? Cleverly avoiding everything? Maybe he'll.....
Spoiler for not really a spoiler, just a speculation :O:
actually,
Spoiler:

Last edited by hitokirigirl; 2004-09-18 at 12:43.
Old 2004-09-21, 15:29   Link #117
dreamless

well, from the preview to ep13 here
http://www.ntv.co.jp/channel/asx/otogizoshi13.asx
it seems
Spoiler:
Old 2004-09-22, 03:43   Link #118
wao
OK.

Oh cripes! You're right! What a let-down...
Spoiler:

*melts into puddle of fangirl*
Old 2004-09-22, 10:40   Link #119
hitokirigirl
Japanestyle

hehe, i like when cute guys play the villains...
btw, only 13 eps for this serie, or 26 ? i got confused w/ your explanations above...
Old 2004-09-22, 11:29   Link #120
dreamless

The heian arc will be 13 episodes, then there will be another 13 episodes for the modern day arc, so a total of 26 episodes.

Considering Production I.G.'s track record, I guess we shouldn't really expect "normal" animes from them

About Seimei, he could have a lot of fakes to substitute for him when he's away...
Closed Thread

Tags
historical