AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-05-26, 21:18   Link #21
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

lol that was hilarious! Two thumbs up! :fingers: ....oops those are middle fingers
Old 2004-05-26, 21:46   Link #22
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

would it be considered pathetic that "Yuna" (the guy's assumed identity) looks more manly, even with the face, than Kira does?
Old 2004-06-23, 12:13   Link #23
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Pretty Face

I just happen to come with this manga due that the title appealed to my interest, and, oh boy, did I was prepared for a surprise.

Pretty Face is an almost all-out shoujo manga with just a tiny (a real tiny) speck of shounen spice, wrote by Yasuhiro Kano and serialized by Shueisha in 2002.

This is the tragic (or fortunate?) tale of Randoh Masashi, who has been for about 3 years in a row a national karate champion. Randoh is your typical high-school student hooligan. He really loves badly to the bone fighting and violence, he's the leader of the gang, he likes to mess with everyone that gets in his way; especially for the students of the Judo club who are rivals to the Karate club that he's boss to.

Because of his bad*** attitude and I-don't-give-a d*** personality, Randoh has not only achieved bad reputation among the students (detested even more by the girls, of course), but also by the school council and teachers. However, there is only one girl (an always standard in all romantic shoujo's), Rina Kurumi, who has been secretly in love with Randoh ever since middle school, but since Rina lacks the courage to confess before him, she's just helpless but to gaze on him from far. Although Randoh is awared that Rina might have a thing for him, just as he's embellished by her cuteness.

Spoiler:

This manga has been scanlated for over a year by #akatsuki-manga. They have volunteered to take upon the bold feat to translate "Pretty Face", chapter after chapter.

If you ask me this manga is crafty and comedy clever. I'm eagerly looking forward to an anime adaptation for this manga. And I hope that the anime adaptation to be produced by the same studio that made Midori no Hibi. Since, I happen to almost finishing this series just as I came to Pretty Face.
Old 2004-06-23, 14:11   Link #24
snoopy
SnoopyCool.com

Are they giving Pretty Face an anime? Normally they don't make animes for mangas where the author cracks under the pressure and runs home crying to mommy because he's too popular. Besides, it ended a fairly long time ago.
Old 2004-06-23, 17:43   Link #25
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy
Are they giving Pretty Face an anime? Normally they don't make animes for mangas where the author cracks under the pressure and runs home crying to mommy because he's too popular. Besides, it ended a fairly long time ago.
So what!! There was a long gap of six years when D.N. Angel manga became serialized first, and then the anime adaptation was produced later on in spring 2003.

The same goes for Chrno Crusade manga. The manga was published way back in 1999, and then the anime was released by very late 2003.

Time is not a constraint that matters, did you know ?

It is viewers interest and audience preference trends that make anime producers to be encouraged on investing to make an anime series, at several ocassions.

Analyze first the factors and reasons, before taking for granted the facts, next time.
Old 2004-06-24, 18:46   Link #26
ubb

The manga show so much boobs and pantsu it's impossible to label it shoujo.
Old 2004-06-25, 00:12   Link #27
BOZZY

I'm not too sure about this... but wasn't Pretty Face cancelled? I was pretty sure I read about it somewhere that is wasn't very over with the readers... and the cancellation caused the mangaka to have a rushed ending...
Old 2004-06-25, 00:34   Link #28
Master Ran
The Invincible Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOZZY
I'm not too sure about this... but wasn't Pretty Face cancelled? I was pretty sure I read about it somewhere that is wasn't very over with the readers... and the cancellation caused the mangaka to have a rushed ending...

I think it had a rushed ending because the joked waned.
You can only do so much for that kind of story.
Make it longer and the jokes becomes redundant.
(Not that i'm complaining, i love Pretty face.)

Kinda like what might/will happen to midori no hibi manga soon...
Old 2004-06-25, 03:36   Link #29
Akirasuto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Ran
I think it had a rushed ending because the joked waned.
You can only do so much for that kind of story.
Make it longer and the jokes becomes redundant.
(Not that i'm complaining, i love Pretty face.)

Kinda like what might/will happen to midori no hibi manga soon...
Actually, it was canned so the author had to drum up some sort of ending, rather than just leave it hanging.
Old 2004-06-25, 03:53   Link #30
snoopy
SnoopyCool.com

There are 2 rumors for why it ended as rushed and shittily as it did. The first is popular amongst american fans and the other isn't. The popular one is that the Japanese audience didn't like it enough for it to continue. That's possible, although it really did enjoy pretty good sales. Much better than what Watsuki's getting for his alchemist sword whatever it is crap.

The second is that he cracked under the pressure of making a popular series (having to continue making it funny, the deadlines, etc). Logically, this one is more believable, since like I said before, it was making enough money to validate keeping it.

Conclusion? The mangaka's a pussy. Or it was unpopular. Either way, it won't have an anime.

And before you go around pretending to know what you're talking about, a manga's start date holds no relationship to the anime in any way shape or form. It took Hajime no Ippo 8 years to get an anime. Monster started in the mid 90's and ended like 4 years ago and just got one now. The differences between these and Pretty Face? Pretty Face was canceled. They don't like cancelling things, and when something is cancelled, they don't particularly like parading it on national TV.

Last edited by snoopy; 2004-06-26 at 04:50.
Old 2004-06-25, 10:11   Link #31
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Quote:
And before you go around pretending to know what you're talking about, a manga's start date holds no relationship to the anime in any way shape or form.
Now this is denifitely where I agree with you, snoopy. Other examples which I mentioned earlier are D.N. Angel (manga) & Chrno Crusade (manga).

I just feel bad that Pretty Face (manga) will undefinitely never get the chance to be adapted to the screen, although it enjoyed good commercial success at its time.

Maybe in an uncertain future some producers or studio will take into thoughtful account investing for an anime adaptation, but that likely would never happen.

What I know is the manga was serialized in Shueisha by year 2002, so I want to know when did the last volume was published?

P.S. Is it true that the ending is that really crap shitty?
Old 2004-06-25, 10:33   Link #32
pyu
Crouchety Old Man

Send a message via MSN to pyu
I don't know if Pretty Face was planned for six volumes or not. However, the humor and plot is pretty straight-forward.

As stated, the main character takes up the identity of Yuna, the mysterious 'twin'. In the process, all kinds of jokes and hijinks are explored. There are other characters that come in, making the story more interesting. Mostly related to female nudity and the male main being stressed out to cope with these situations.

The ending is okay - the real Yuna makes an appearance, etc, etc.

I don't think the ending is rushed. After all, there is so much you can do - and the themes were getting semi-serious at the end. Oh well...
Old 2004-06-26, 00:19   Link #33
snoopy
SnoopyCool.com

It was considered 'rushed' becasue they didn't really lead up to the ending at all. It just kinda ended with maybe a few weeks of foreshadowing that could have been leading up to anything (and the people reading the weeklies sure as hell didn't expect it to be leading to the end).

And it ended at the beginning of this year, if I recall... I'd have to check though. But if you think about it, 6 volumes equals one and a half years of weekly serialization.

And yes, the ending is crap. Well... let me rephrase, everything surrounding the ending is crap. And the ending is rushed. It leaves you with a kind of "What..." feeling.
Old 2004-06-27, 06:51   Link #34
Archaic

Quote:
There are 2 rumors for why it ended as rushed and shittily as it did. The first is popular amongst american fans and the other isn't. The popular one is that the Japanese audience didn't like it enough for it to continue. That's possible, although it really did enjoy pretty good sales. Much better than what Watsuki's getting for his alchemist sword whatever it is crap.

The second is that he cracked under the pressure of making a popular series (having to continue making it funny, the deadlines, etc). Logically, this one is more believable, since like I said before, it was making enough money to validate keeping it.
I've heard another one.

Shounen Jump, while acknowledging that the series was quite popular, had reached the conclusion that the storyline that the author was planning on was unsuitable for their target audience, and cancelled the series, giving the author some advance notice. Rather than move to another magazine (like for example, Trigun), the author instead decided to wrap up the series and move onto a new project.
Old 2004-07-04, 21:24   Link #35
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

I bought the 6 volumes and the mangaka gave a closing epilogue.

All he said was that he had planned several endings (and he showed the storyboards for 3 of them) but used the one that was published with some fear of the readers' reactions. But he was satisfied by the response. No word of why he ended it though. But it seemed like he just wanted to end the series for the moment.

He continued with a gaiden on the adventures of the characters at an onsen after the concluding chapter though. But it was a one-off gaiden.
Old 2004-07-04, 21:43   Link #36
arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yebyosh
I bought the 6 volumes and the mangaka gave a closing epilogue.

All he said was that he had planned several endings (and he showed the storyboards for 3 of them) but used the one that was published with some fear of the readers' reactions. But he was satisfied by the response. No word of why he ended it though. But it seemed like he just wanted to end the series for the moment.

He continued with a gaiden on the adventures of the characters at an onsen after the concluding chapter though. But it was a one-off gaiden.
What happened in the other endings?
Old 2004-07-05, 06:52   Link #37
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Quote:
Originally Posted by arias
What happened in the other endings?
Spoiler:
Old 2004-07-05, 08:08   Link #38
Princess_of_Hell
Being Felt Up My Skirt

Send a message via AIM to Princess_of_Hell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yebyosh
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Old 2004-07-05, 08:49   Link #39
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess_of_Hell
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Quote:
Spoiler:
Which was why the mangaka ditched this ending. He too realised it will turn quite a lot of people off and it is quite cliched as well, though he still considered it.

Quote:
Spoiler:
Read it when it is available in any form It is not really tragic as I was initially led to believe from some of the other posts. Rather it was quite an open ending with a definite closure (you'll know what I mean when you read it). Safe to say is that it allowed the Gaiden to be drawn after the conclusion and the possibility of a short second series (which of course seems unlikely since the series ended like what? 2 years ago?) but to me, I felt it was an adequate or nice end to the story.

Last edited by Yebyosh; 2004-07-05 at 09:35.
Old 2004-07-05, 12:38   Link #40
Pepperidge
Dissatisfied Canadian

Send a message via AIM to Pepperidge Send a message via MSN to Pepperidge
Pretty Face was a fantastic comic. It took all of the basic elements of a gender switching title, but cranked them up to a new extreme with the most bizarre cicrumstances imaginable. And of course, the only thing from keeping the storyline from being all out shoujo was the panty flashes.

When I start my own billion-dollar animation studio, Pretty Face will be my first project. Seriously, the Canadian government will fund anything.
Closed Thread