AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2004-02-13, 00:59   Link #21
Uska
Guardian of the Seal

Send a message via AIM to Uska Send a message via Yahoo to Uska
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab

a) company backlog
b) casting va's and finding people to work on it
c) japanese companies and NDA's
d) money (this is the reason certain series will never be licensed)
e) how well they believe the product can sell as it is... remember that some series are licensed before they are made, so they have to believe it is a product that can be sold before investing in it.
Just speculating, but they can do like movies. They announce it MONTHS in advance to create some hype and anticipation. So if you're in a good part of the plot if they release the DVD later you'll probably buy the DVD soon as it's out. But I could by wrong, and it could be money... :P
Uska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-13, 12:58   Link #22
Mephisto03
セスラハニカ

You want some sort of "proof" that companys "take a look at fansubs". Goto the adult swim message boards where they have a action and comedy suggestion forum for people to suggest what shows they would like to be aired on adult swim. Why would they do this if people weren't able to watch fansubs and put in there opionon on shows across seas? They would essentially have to wait till its licensed here and watch it on there show or dvd. Which then they wouldn't need to be asking there viewers whats a good show to be airing. Anyone saying fansubs don't help out companys in market research of what to be aired in america or any other country outside of japan is a fool and needs to open there eyes.
Mephisto03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-13, 13:15   Link #23
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephisto03
You want some sort of "proof" that companys "take a look at fansubs". Goto the adult swim message boards where they have a action and comedy suggestion forum for people to suggest what shows they would like to be aired on adult swim.
Golly gee, the Adult Swim staff read their own boards. Brilliant deduction, Holmes!
Old 2004-02-13, 13:18   Link #24
lavalyn

You're getting it all wrong. Licensees don't care about what people want, they want to shove whatever it is they got down your throat. It's easier to do so if nobody's watched it before, because then you can hype it like crazy and the ignorant masses will swarm to it like they always do. Hollywood Mew Mew? Initial D tricked out version? Who thought these things up?

</sarcasm>
lavalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-13, 13:38   Link #25
method

Quote:
You want some sort of "proof" that companys "take a look at fansubs". Goto the adult swim message boards where they have a action and comedy suggestion forum for people to suggest what shows they would like to be aired on adult swim. Why would they do this if people weren't able to watch fansubs and put in there opionon on shows across seas? They would essentially have to wait till its licensed here and watch it on there show or dvd. Which then they wouldn't need to be asking there viewers whats a good show to be airing. Anyone saying fansubs don't help out companys in market research of what to be aired in america or any other country outside of japan is a fool and needs to open there eyes.

Talk about adding 2 and 2 and getting 5.
method is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-13, 18:19   Link #26
Mephisto03
セスラハニカ

Quote:
Originally Posted by method
Talk about adding 2 and 2 and getting 5.
I think you need to go back to school or pay more attention in school. You misunderstood my post completely. The reason "take a look at fansubs" is in quotes is cause I was generalizing the term used for this discussion. Its a common way of getting across something as blunt as possible to further get across a point. I know that posting on there boards doesn't consider THEM to watch anime themselves but basically if there were no fansubs how else would people be able to give a suggestion? If they knew already what was good and what was bad to show on there network they wouldn't be making that forum. And from recent threads made by countless people asking about anime and fansubs on this message board you can come to a good assumption alot of people don't just buy dvds to check out a series or would. Most people know of a series or check it out becuase of fansubs and are able to comment and discuss to others becuase of fansubs.

I still stand by my answer though fansubs do help american companys figure which animes to pick up because it is a good source for checking out interest of a show. Why not right? Like someone said before, if the fansub community theres a show that gets ALOT of downloads then obviously theres a big interest (especially since most user downloading it are from america) then the company can take a further look into the series and then do there own market research inside the states to get a better final outcome of viewer interest.

Instead of reading what someone says and then jumping on the 10 word spamming post maybe you should actually consider what someone is trying to get across and voice your own opionon instead of trying to rack up your post count to look cool "dissing" someone who actually has something to say about the subject in hand.
Mephisto03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-13, 19:32   Link #27
method

Quote:
I think you need to go back to school or pay more attention in school. You misunderstood my post completely. The reason "take a look at fansubs" is in quotes is cause I was generalizing the term used for this discussion. Its a common way of getting across something as blunt as possible to further get across a point. I know that posting on there boards doesn't consider THEM to watch anime themselves but basically if there were no fansubs how else would people be able to give a suggestion? If they knew already what was good and what was bad to show on there network they wouldn't be making that forum. And from recent threads made by countless people asking about anime and fansubs on this message board you can come to a good assumption alot of people don't just buy dvds to check out a series or would. Most people know of a series or check it out becuase of fansubs and are able to comment and discuss to others becuase of fansubs.

I still stand by my answer though fansubs do help american companys figure which animes to pick up because it is a good source for checking out interest of a show. Why not right? Like someone said before, if the fansub community theres a show that gets ALOT of downloads then obviously theres a big interest (especially since most user downloading it are from america) then the company can take a further look into the series and then do there own market research inside the states to get a better final outcome of viewer interest.

Instead of reading what someone says and then jumping on the 10 word spamming post maybe you should actually consider what someone is trying to get across and voice your own opionon instead of trying to rack up your post count to look cool "dissing" someone who actually has something to say about the subject in hand.
Wow did I hurt your feelings that much? Grow up. I could care less about my post count unlike yourself. The whole point of my message was to say that you are jumping to conculsions from the the show suggestion forums on the Adult Swim boards. The boards are up for shows that are already licensed and in no way indicates that WS has any interest in fansubbed shows. The closest CN has come to licensing a series was co-financing the second season of Big O. Why would they want suggestion for series that aren't even licensed? Your further assertions that companies wait until a series is fansubbed to consider it is off. If you have paid attention to anime industry, you would have seen that the number of series that have been licensed before the series has even aired shows that the companies have a firm grasp of what sells and what doesn't. Do you really believe that a company that has been around for 10 years needs help deciding what to go after?

Last edited by method; 2004-02-13 at 20:00.
method is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-13, 19:56   Link #28
Lambda

I think the answer is "occasionally". There are lots of shows that are getting licensed (or at least pursued) before they're even broadcast, there are occasional ones which aren't going to get licensed whatever, but between the two there's a grey area of shows. Some of these will be underestimated or even not spotted by Western companies, and that's where a successful fansub run could make the difference.
Lambda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-14, 10:32   Link #29
Tabiree
FUNimation's Gen Fukunaga

Assuming programs are picked up simply because of fansub reaction is pretty fucking selfish, as a lot of these companies are trying to get this out to more people, thus forth they pick up shows they perceive as being popular. Ala Ghost in the Shell, Ala Ninja Scroll, ala all Gundam and Sunrise Productions, ala blah blah one piece blah blah
Tabiree is offline   Reply With Quote