AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

View Poll Results: So how good is it?
10 7 17.50%
9 12 30.00%
8 12 30.00%
7 9 22.50%
6 0 0%
5 0 0%
4 0 0%
3 0 0%
2 0 0%
1 0 0%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-08-02, 15:09   Link #1
fallin up
my life is a harem

Soul Caliber IV

its out and about. i have yet to buy it, and i want to know if its worth the buy? i have II
fallin up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-02, 16:53   Link #2
Tornix
The Evil Twin

Send a message via ICQ to Tornix Send a message via AIM to Tornix Send a message via Yahoo to Tornix
I got my chance to try it out yesterday at my friend's place. In fact, we ended up playing most of the afternoon. I'm not going to get too technical, but the game is slowed down slightly and you can't really buffer inputs (at least not as easily). I'm not really into the critical finishes or the the armor breaking, though. I spent the whole time playing as Amy (my fave from the previous game) and thankfully she's not a whole lot different from SC3 Arcade Edition.

All in all, I give it an 8. It's as fun as the previous iterations with the addition of playing online (360 is less laggy than PS3, I hear). It also has create a character in it which gives it quite a bit of replay ability (plus the unlockables from Tower mode). I'd say get it
Old 2008-08-02, 17:18   Link #3
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

I have kind of a mixed opinion on the character creation aspect. On the one hand, the created characters look amazing, as good as the main cast, and the body type and color options are really extensive.

On the other hand, I really don't like how they combined several of the gear slots into one. For example, in SC3, there were options for Upper Torso, Lower Torso, Waist, Upper Legs, Lower Legs. You could give a guy a shirt underneath his coat or put a breastplate over other pieces of gear. Now they combined all that into just Upper and Lower Body. No more creating multiple layers of gear, and some of the gear has added pieces you wouldn't necessarily want; for example the normal Cloth Shirt has a belt attached to it that you can't get rid of. Speaking of belts too, many are included as Lower Body options and for whatever reason they take the place of pants. This has eliminated some of the clipping that was rampant in 3 but I really preferred the additional options.

It's possible they may have done this to more easily accommodate the gear-breaking system, I don't actually know the reason. If that is why though, it's pretty disappointing since I don't feel that adds much to the game (not to mention I'd prefer to have my male custom characters' pants NOT come off in the middle of a fight).

Overall, this is a really minor gripe, and unless you're someone like me who spends as much time creating characters as actually playing, it shouldn't affect your enjoyment of the game at all.
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-02, 18:42   Link #4
fallin up
my life is a harem

is it worth getting if you dont have an HD television?
Old 2008-08-02, 19:11   Link #5
Arceon
Rediscovered
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Arceon
I have one thing to say. While I enjoyed the majority of the game. YODA IS CHEAP AS HELL.

Can't be grabbed, or hit by mid to high attacks cause hes so damned short T_T

Otherwise it's a nice and fun game and addition to the SC franchise. 8 Soul Shards out of 10.
Old 2008-08-02, 19:14   Link #6
fallin up
my life is a harem

ya i heard that all the stars wars characters are extremely good.
Old 2008-08-02, 19:36   Link #7
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

darth vader is a good character to use, i would say he is a well balance character, but not strongest in any cartegories (i like his force choke, it is so kool ). Apprentice is stronger imo. i dont have a 360 so i dont know about yoda. i dont really care about the story, it is short, but it makes it easier to unlock characters. The controls are tight, personally i enjoy the arcade mode more in single player, i still suck though so until i got better at it im gonna play single player. so far i enjoy the game, so a 9/10.

oh one question: just how cheap is yoda, i read some reviews on him, and i know that he cant be grab and high and mid atk miss him, just how does it feel to play him anyways?

Last edited by kk2extreme; 2008-08-02 at 20:25.
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-02, 20:44   Link #8
Epyon9283
Geek

Send a message via ICQ to Epyon9283 Send a message via AIM to Epyon9283
I don't know about Yoda (have the ps3 version) but the apprentice is cheap as hell. The star wars characters really unbalanced the game IMO.
Epyon9283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-02, 21:40   Link #9
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon9283 View Post
I don't know about Yoda (have the ps3 version) but the apprentice is cheap as hell. The star wars characters really unbalanced the game IMO.
darth vader is the only balance star wars character, the apprentice is so faster when against him, once ur hit he unleach some unbelivable combos and takes out at least half of the life bar, even algol is not that fast.
Old 2008-08-02, 21:57   Link #10
Monkey D. Luffy

It's a good game, all the charcaters have certain aspects that are improved and decreased from the previous games but they remain faithful to them. I do think the story is way too short, in an hour you can go through a few of the characters stories, which makes it easier to gain points and new characters but doesn't really satisfy someone as far as "Story."

I have the PS3 version so I haven't played with Yoda so I don't know how good he is but Darth Vader was a nice addition as far as his skill set and full use of his abilities. I look forward to playing as Yoda though, when he becomes available since I read that each exclusive character for each respective console will be available by downloadable content for both systems. I've been playing single player mostly so I haven't checked out Multiplayer but it should be enjoyable.
Monkey D. Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-02, 22:04   Link #11
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
It takes a certain amount of time to sort out the tiers and overall balance... Lots and lots of testing needs to be done. They might be good with button-mashing scrubfest matches, but with pros the things might probably change.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-03, 09:16   Link #12
Epyon9283
Geek

Send a message via ICQ to Epyon9283 Send a message via AIM to Epyon9283
Seeing as how I'm not a pro and most of the people who play aren't pros if you can kick ass with the starwars characters by button mashing people are going to do it.
Epyon9283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-03, 09:45   Link #13
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Well, then, there you have an incentive to improve You don't need to be an SBO-playing pro to win against button-mashing scrubs. I know I'm not.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-03, 11:31   Link #14
fallin up
my life is a harem

hows the online play? does it lagg at all?
Old 2008-08-03, 14:12   Link #15
bbduece
Ultimate Coordinator

Online is awesome, no lag. I played like half a day and only experienced half second lag two times, which is basically nothing, i get more of those lags from halo. Some of the characters are tweaked so timing and character flow are a bit different. Yoda is overpower. The apprentice is cheap also because he got the speed of Taki (Combos just as deadly if not deadlier) and almost the same reach as Kilik. If you count the weapon throw then he is on par with Seig, Ast, Nightmare, Sasa, etc). Dont have ps3 but i heard vader is the most balanced of the starwars character.

Gave it 9 since it did not wow me like the dreamcast version but online play is a godsend.

BTW my name is CruelTimes if we ever get a match.

Last edited by bbduece; 2008-08-03 at 14:26.
bbduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-03, 20:50   Link #16
HurricaneHige
Uguu~

The game itself is worth the money, the CaS is awesome, very detailed. The gameplay is slower than 3 and 2, but still fast-paced fun. The online is deceptive, it looks lagless, but low block is at least half sec late, and JF is very hard to pull off online.

All it all, it's worth a 9 for playing alone (Arcade, Tower) and with friends, online is alright, but I'm not too thrill about it.
Old 2008-08-03, 21:04   Link #17
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

what is the key to beat apprentice every single time, i beat him out out luck but i need a sure win strategy, it is very hard to couner him, blocking helps a little, and the only way to hit him is either in between his attacks or he says "damn", his attacks are fast, once i got hit by him and he follows it with so many combos, it is pretty much game over, help???

btw, im using darth vader, he is just not fast enough but he pack some solid damages.
Old 2008-08-03, 21:22   Link #18
HurricaneHige
Uguu~

The cheap way to win with Vader is put ur back to the pit, then B Throw him to ring him out.

The legit way to win is use a LOT of horizontals and tracking verticals, since StarKiller likes to 8way and block a lot, even if ur attack doesnt hit, it'll knock his gauge off. Using straight verticals against him would grant u a oneway trip to the ground cuz his attacks are too fast for Vader to block after you attacked.
Old 2008-08-03, 21:40   Link #19
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneHige View Post
The cheap way to win with Vader is put ur back to the pit, then B Throw him to ring him out.
That is a prettly risky move, i have never try that b4, but anyways thanks.
Old 2008-08-03, 22:12   Link #20
bbduece
Ultimate Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneHige View Post
The game itself is worth the money, the CaS is awesome, very detailed. The gameplay is slower than 3 and 2, but still fast-paced fun. The online is deceptive, it looks lagless, but low block is at least half sec late, and JF is very hard to pull off online.

All it all, it's worth a 9 for playing alone (Arcade, Tower) and with friends, online is alright, but I'm not too thrill about it.
Had no problems with xbox live. Block works every single time.

Just throw the Apprentice.
bbduece is offline   Reply With Quote