Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Higurashi

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-06-01, 16:52   Link #741
Kishin
Hanyuu's #1 Fan

>.>
I feel disappointed in the lack of dedication to higurashi here
I paid upwards of 200$ for the full set before the box set was released (as seen in the first post of last page)

Last edited by Kishin; 2011-06-04 at 20:55.
Old 2011-06-01, 20:46   Link #742
Baru

Send a message via AIM to Baru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishin View Post
>.>
I feel disappointed in the lack of dedication to higurashi here
I paid upwards of 200$ for the full set before the box set was released (as seen in the first post of this page)
Hey, plenty of dedication here, too.
I bought the single DVDs as they came out in 2007/2008 AND bought the first of the two boxsets FUNimation released just to support the show.

If anyone doesn't have it on DVD by now, they really just missed their best chances to get it.
And I'm disappointed there are fans who still haven't bought it, when it was something that we all should've been supporting a long time ago.

Though, to be fair, this title did go out of print sooner than a usual anime, due to the Geneon distro deal ending.
Old 2011-06-01, 20:53   Link #743
GyroidFanatic

Funimation is still working on getting the various Season 2s of Geneon shows, so don't give up yet.
Old 2011-06-04, 20:56   Link #744
Kishin
Hanyuu's #1 Fan

what!? funi actually has plans for kai? god I'd love to have a hard copy of kai... S1 is good but kai is what made me fall in love with the franchise
Old 2011-06-09, 21:29   Link #745
Baru

Send a message via AIM to Baru
FUNimation Acquisitions Team Employee confirms no more Higurashi, nor Umineko from FUNimation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie
Hey, guys. I'm on the Acquisitions Team, so here's your answer straight up. I hope this doesn't come off as too blunt. Please understand that this is just how it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artist_for_hire
At the very least Sentai Flimworks could license Kai for a subtitle only release, you know like how they did for Hell Girl seasons 2 & 3 (What the hell happened Funi? Why no Hell Girl seasons 2 & 3 dub?).
Because not enough people bought Hell Girl season 1. Hell Girl had a lot of marketing support behind it. We actually did a bit more for that show since that was in the early days when we didn't have as many shows. Not enough people buy dramas.

Whey They Cry has expired and is past the sell-off period. It was the only WTC series that was a part of the original distro deal with Geneon. We renewed the titles that were part of that deal that did sell well. We let expire the ones that didn't. That inludes my beloved The Familar of Zero.

The WTC sequels and Umineko were not part of that agreement. We do not have the license to any of those series. Unfortunately, because WTC series 1 sold poorly, we will never buy the license to the sequels or any other title that bears even a minor resemblance.

You're better off asking Sentai or Nozomi to do at least a sub-only of the other WTC's. Heck, you could probably get the money together to license and distribute them yourselves. It's probably not expensive anymore. If Umineko sold as poorly in Japan as you say it did, then go after that one. It's not as big an undertaking as you might think especially if you pool your money.

Aside from that, the best thing you can do as fans is to buy series 1 from Amazon (so we can track it) and continue to post in the forum about how much you enjoy the show.

You can ask at cons or email Feedback, but do you know what will happen? Rojas will forward everything to me or my coworker. You've gotten through to exactly who you needed to, so mission accomplished. I'm aware of the series, and I love me some Sea Cats. Hell, I've cosplayed as Beato, and I'm playing the game. Unfortunately, I have to look at sales data, and signs point to not buying the sequels or Umineko and instead putting our money toward less riskier titles.

Don't worry. You guys aren't like the Case Closed fans unless one of you has stalked Adam at a con including following him into the bathroom.
Source: http://beta.funimation.com/when-they...comment-109361
Old 2011-06-09, 21:43   Link #746
Oblivion

Shame that Umineko didn't even get a chance to be dubbed. Still waiting for Chiru to get animated, if ever.
Old 2011-06-09, 21:46   Link #747
Kantoku
見ぬが花

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion0101 View Post
Shame that Umineko didn't even get a chance to be dubbed. Still waiting for Chiru to get animated, if ever.
At best, that will take about 1-2years from when EP8 was released (unless that "gift" that will soon be released is intended to be connected). That's to hoping that the less-than-satisfactory ratings and DVD sales don't discourage them.
Old 2011-06-09, 22:11   Link #748
Oblivion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kantoku View Post
At best, that will take about 1-2years from when EP8 was released (unless that "gift" that will soon be released is intended to be connected). That's to hoping that the less-than-satisfactory ratings and DVD sales don't discourage them.
Well they would do better by not excluding so many thngs from the original VN. After reading Episode 1 and watching it, I really hope they take their time.
Old 2011-06-09, 22:30   Link #749
Kantoku
見ぬが花

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion0101 View Post
Well they would do better by not excluding so many thngs from the original VN. After reading Episode 1 and watching it, I really hope they take their time.
...I think that'll be an inevitable thing, unfortunately ^^; if it were DVD-only, they could probably include as much detail as they wanted to, but due to budget, broadcast sessions and time, shortcutting is bound to happen. The length of each Chiru arc which happen to be much longer than the Kai arcs does not particularly help either.
Old 2011-06-09, 22:53   Link #750
Dante of the Inferno
Turnin' the Tables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baru View Post

The WTC sequels and Umineko were not part of that agreement. We do not have the license to any of those series. Unfortunately, because WTC series 1 sold poorly, we will never buy the license to the sequels or any other title that bears even a minor resemblance.

You're better off asking Sentai or Nozomi to do at least a sub-only of the other WTC's. Heck, you could probably get the money together to license and distribute them yourselves. It's probably not expensive anymore. If Umineko sold as poorly in Japan as you say it did, then go after that one. It's not as big an undertaking as you might think especially if you pool your money.

Source: http://beta.funimation.com/when-they...comment-109361

So, if I understand correctly, does that mean anyone can approach Geneon Global and offer to buy the Higurashi license from them? If so, can that Funimation rep hand out the contact info for Geneon licensing?
Old 2011-06-09, 22:55   Link #751
Kishin
Hanyuu's #1 Fan

Well heres hoping for a sub only version atleest (tried watching the dub, almost killed the series for me) I just really want to be able to complete my collection. I like to think that if I ever won the lottery or something I could pay off funi or something to release it :P but if licenses really arnt as big a deal as they say in there, maybe some people could really pool their money and get the fansubbed version official or something
If someone did that I'd needa buy em a drink atleest lol
Old 2011-06-09, 23:25   Link #752
Dante of the Inferno
Turnin' the Tables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishin View Post
if licenses really arnt as big a deal as they say in there, maybe some people could really pool their money and get the fansubbed version official or something
Exactly. Buy the license PERMANENTLY and make it free license to all comers. Hell, if you can buy the series outright, you could REDUB the series. Give the fan base actual control over the series. That's how you let Higurashi live on.
Old 2011-06-10, 01:19   Link #753
TJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante of the Inferno View Post
So, if I understand correctly, does that mean anyone can approach Geneon Global and offer to buy the Higurashi license from them? If so, can that Funimation rep hand out the contact info for Geneon licensing?
It's a hypothetical arrangement.

In practice, good luck. The reality of Japanese licensing is that each stakeholder (production committee members, original creator/publisher) must come to an agreement, so it's a lot more complicated than simply talking to a Geneon rep. That's also assuming the companies in question are willing to speak to someone who isn't well connected to industry people.

My understanding is that companies like Funimation and Sentai often sign important deals by gathering committee representatives and taking them out for drinks (where the group can come to a consensus. Otherwise, there's a risk that negotiations may break down if one company delays its decision indefinitely).
Old 2011-06-10, 03:09   Link #754
Dante of the Inferno
Turnin' the Tables

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR View Post
It's a hypothetical arrangement.

In practice, good luck. The reality of Japanese licensing is that each stakeholder (production committee members, original creator/publisher) must come to an agreement, so it's a lot more complicated than simply talking to a Geneon rep. That's also assuming the companies in question are willing to speak to someone who isn't well connected to industry people.

My understanding is that companies like Funimation and Sentai often sign important deals by gathering committee representatives and taking them out for drinks (where the group can come to a consensus. Otherwise, there's a risk that negotiations may break down if one company delays its decision indefinitely).

We all agree that this is for a low-selling, half-decade old series, right? Wining and Dining doesn't really seem all that necessary here. Besides, you have to start somewhere on these industrial chains. A rep sounds like a good spot. Besides, you're buying the license from Geneon, not from Studio Deen. This really shouldn't have to go through negotiations with Japan.
Old 2011-06-10, 23:18   Link #755
Kishin
Hanyuu's #1 Fan

Really I think if someone with the cash and motivation to really do it got in touch with a rep they could probably get it. It may take a meeting or something (probably not with top-brass or anything considering how old it is now) and a powerpoint on what the plan is but I don't think theyd say no to having money thrown at them, I mean, if they arn't going to release kai themselves, give em some royalties and theyd probably throw it at ya
Old 2011-09-11, 03:23   Link #756
L in Hinamizawa
I guess Erika would be E?

Location: In Hinamizawa trying to solve the Curse of Oyashiro Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante of the Inferno View Post
We all agree that this is for a low-selling, half-decade old series, right? Wining and Dining doesn't really seem all that necessary here. Besides, you have to start somewhere on these industrial chains. A rep sounds like a good spot. Besides, you're buying the license from Geneon, not from Studio Deen. This really shouldn't have to go through negotiations with Japan.
This would be the greatest thing ever!
How could we as fans get started in the process?
If we all gathered together, I think we could do it!

I know it would take some effort but that is rather like Higurashi itself!
Closed Thread