Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2011-03-19, 19:50   Link #3141
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinigami99 View Post
Hmmm, but what happens WHILE people are in heaven that's the problem. We know that you have to be good and cleanse yourself to actually GET THERE. However, giving humans free will allows for negative thoughts and actions to occur. Therefore heaven does not have free will unless you can be sent to hell EVEN after going to heaven. In either case it's not much a nice place as people tend to believe.

As for the Stalin situation, I iterate. His ideologies were very bad and is not representative of all atheists. He is the only atheist extremist I know off. Even so, he supposedly believed in a God of nature of some sorts, so he was a Deist.

Another thing that really ticks me off about religion is its attitude to teaching science. I do not need to elaborate cause most of you should know what I mean
Like most sociopaths in history - Stalin was about the acquisition and use of power. The religion was irrelevant, the ideology is irrelevant, the political framework is irrelevant. Humans keep letting pathologically dangerous people drift to the top.
Old 2011-03-19, 19:53   Link #3142
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
I oppose theistic creation religions because they're intellectual dead ends. They basically say A Wizard Did It and then stop. Makes your brain lazy.
Old 2011-03-19, 22:05   Link #3143
Genten
has a custom user title

Oh, gosh, what's that term for what I am again. . . oh, yeah, an omnist. That's right, I believe/accept all religions.

I don't like picking on religion to follow. I think ever since I saw the beginning of the movie Baraka, which showcases different rituals used in a variety of religions, I've had this obsession with learning about the stuff. Where they came from, the rituals, nuances, beliefs, how they have developed across time, etc, is all of interest to me. So, because of my interest in the topic, I don't want to follow just one. I feel that by picking a specific religion to follow, such as catholicism, buddism, hinduism, etc, I'm blocking out other ideas. So, I pretty much believe/accept all forms of religion (and/or the ideas of atheism, agnosticism, and related beliefs).

I don't know many other people with this approach, though, just one person in real life.
Old 2011-03-19, 22:34   Link #3144
shinigami99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genten View Post
Oh, gosh, what's that term for what I am again. . . oh, yeah, an omnist. That's right, I believe/accept all religions.

I don't like picking on religion to follow. I think ever since I saw the beginning of the movie Baraka, which showcases different rituals used in a variety of religions, I've had this obsession with learning about the stuff. Where they came from, the rituals, nuances, beliefs, how they have developed across time, etc, is all of interest to me. So, because of my interest in the topic, I don't want to follow just one. I feel that by picking a specific religion to follow, such as catholicism, buddism, hinduism, etc, I'm blocking out other ideas. So, I pretty much believe/accept all forms of religion (and/or the ideas of atheism, agnosticism, and related beliefs).

I don't know many other people with this approach, though, just one person in real life.
Hmmm that's cool^_^ I've never heard of that kind of religion before. The only bad thing about it is that many religions say in their holy books to reject other religions. So I'm guessing you believe in their Gods and not the scripture?
shinigami99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-19, 23:03   Link #3145
Genten
has a custom user title

Quote:
Hmmm that's cool^_^ I've never heard of that kind of religion before. The only bad thing about it is that many religions say in their holy books to reject other religions. So I'm guessing you believe in their Gods and not the scripture?
Yes, I believe in the fundamentals and not the specifics. Am I interested in researching what these scriptures say? Yes, of course. But do I confirm to any of these teachings specifically? No, because that would go against my beliefs. Similar to the Wikipedia article on the subject, I believe there are elements of truth to every religion but that there is not one 'true' religion.

Haha, I'm happy someone finds it interesting. Usually people tell me to shut up about my hippy beliefs
Old 2011-03-19, 23:42   Link #3146
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genten View Post
Yes, I believe in the fundamentals and not the specifics. Am I interested in researching what these scriptures say? Yes, of course. But do I confirm to any of these teachings specifically? No, because that would go against my beliefs. Similar to the Wikipedia article on the subject, I believe there are elements of truth to every religion but that there is not one 'true' religion.

Haha, I'm happy someone finds it interesting. Usually people tell me to shut up about my hippy beliefs
There's nothing "hippy" about your beliefs IMHO.
It's nice to see a person who wants to learn about all religious systems rather than being anchored to any one.

I myself study everything I can on various religions to try and compare and contrast the belief systems.
I've found that not all religions are what they appear to be.
Old 2011-03-20, 21:39   Link #3147
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Like most sociopaths in history - Stalin was about the acquisition and use of power. The religion was irrelevant, the ideology is irrelevant, the political framework is irrelevant. Humans keep letting pathologically dangerous people drift to the top.
Pretty much. I hate it when people try to say "X was an athiest or w.e, therefore..." I mean Stalin and Hitler both had mustaches.... oh no!

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-20, 21:40   Link #3148
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Pretty much. I hate it when people try to say "X was an athiest or w.e, therefore..." I mean Stalin and Hitler both had mustaches.... oh no!
One is a toothbrush's, while another is a yard brush's. Not quite the same.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-20, 21:45   Link #3149
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Well, they also hated each other...

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-03-21, 02:33   Link #3150
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Well, they also hated each other...
So... Hating either's a sure sign you're a mass murderer?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-21, 05:12   Link #3151
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Well, I was talking about mustache style since it'd be natural to avoid "he totally ripped me off" , but sure.

But in the philosophical sense, hating people who are different from you has led to much tragedy. It happens with religions (even within the same religion) but can happen with anything else involving human interaction.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-03-21, 07:17   Link #3152
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
I oppose theistic creation religions because they're intellectual dead ends. They basically say A Wizard Did It and then stop. Makes your brain lazy.
Um, what? Considering that the Judeo-Christian story of creation, to use as an example, is only the first two chapters of the first book in the Bible, I don't think that "... and then stop" is an accurate conclusion to make here.

And in my own experience, believing in a "theistic creation religion" has nothing to do with whether or not your brain is "lazy." There is still some thinking involved in having a religion. Believing in creation simply means that you reject one explanation (or more) that some scientists propose about the distant past.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-21, 10:39   Link #3153
LeoXiao
思想工作

Quote:
Hmmm, but what happens WHILE people are in heaven that's the problem. We know that you have to be good and cleanse yourself to actually GET THERE. However, giving humans free will allows for negative thoughts and actions to occur. Therefore heaven does not have free will unless you can be sent to hell EVEN after going to heaven. In either case it's not much a nice place as people tend to believe.
Well, how many of the people you know have an overbearing urge to murder people? Let's say that we have a group of ten people, who will not murder, rape, steal, or do any of those bad things. They could, but won't. Who's to say they aren't free? Now let's say they went to heaven because of these qualities?. Nothing has changed except that they are in heaven. They are still free to do whatever they want, but won't do anything bad because they aren't that kind of person. If you want to take it even further, let's say that if someone in heaven becomes wicked or otherwise unworthy of staying, he gets sent to hell or gets reincarnated somewhere.
So heaven is still a nice place.
Quote:
As for the Stalin situation, I iterate. His ideologies were very bad and is not representative of all atheists. He is the only atheist extremist I know off. Even so, he supposedly believed in a God of nature of some sorts, so he was a Deist.
Dawkins is an atheist extremist, and the Chinese leader Mao Zedong, by some counts, was responsible for the deaths of 80 million people.
Most of my friends are atheist, so I don't hold anything against them. I just find that view of the world to be limited.
Quote:
Another thing that really ticks me off about religion is its attitude to teaching science. I do not need to elaborate cause most of you should know what I mean
That annoys me about religion too, but I think that's mostly because the church has become an anal-retentive bureaucracy, while IMO religion should be more on the philosophical side of things.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-21, 18:26   Link #3154
Lilithium
Banned

I believe in the human unconsciousness. The concept of a God really confuses and irritates me at times. I'm not so naive as to wonder why there are such atrocities in the world if such a being existed, and most religious folks would babble on about free will, but I still don't accept any religion. Sure, it's much more comforting than thinking everything that I am ceases to be when my body dies, but it's not that far fetched. I also believe that humanity will one day create it's own after life by storing the core of what we are in a virtual reality. That is so far off though! It makes me sad..

I don't want oblivion, but what can I do about that? Delude myself? I cannot do that to myself. I'll live a good life and hopefully my good deeds will overrule my lack of faith in God and I'll get to hangout in Limbo, if God does exist. At least I wouldn't cease to be.
Lilithium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-25, 09:33   Link #3155
sadisticlust

I'm an agnostic. I believe there may be some being out there that may or may not posses god like powers. I'm sure that there are things out there that we don't know anything about. When it comes to religion though I believe that all religions claim that their way is the path to god but there are to many religions in this world to simply choose one over another. Thinking about this though gives me a sense of fear because what is there something after death or is it just the end.
sadisticlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-25, 18:55   Link #3156
Dalek Sec

Send a message via AIM to Dalek Sec Send a message via MSN to Dalek Sec Send a message via Yahoo to Dalek Sec
Wiccan here...more specifically Egyptian Wiccan

-Kyo
Old 2011-06-25, 22:10   Link #3157
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Atheist. Though I find religion to be immensely interesting. However I find that pagan religions are the most enjoyable. Mythology is just inherently more interesting then the bland philosophizing you get in christianity (or any other abrahamic religion). The paganistic polytheism, combined with stories of gods clashing, and monsters, is much more compelling, and naturalistic. It's a more comprehensible explanation for the chaotic nature of the world then Christianity or Islam. It's easy to imagine all the natural forces being driven by the divine power and will of many competing gods who are not necessarily benevolent. I can read about Greek, Roman, Norse or even Aztec theology for quite a while. Each are interesting, in their way.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-25, 22:35   Link #3158
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

^ ^ ^

I'm a spiritual person, but I find pagan mythologies interesting, too. Also, while I'm pretty much a Christian, I take great interest in Buddhism, Taoism, and Hinduism, and I like to read up on them.
Old 2011-06-25, 22:45   Link #3159
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
^ ^ ^

I'm a spiritual person, but I find pagan mythologies interesting, too. Also, while I'm pretty much a Christian, I take great interest in Buddhism, Taoism, and Hinduism, and I like to read up on them.
They can often inform on human psychology, and what was important to the people who believed in them.

For instance, the greeks really cared about being a good host. Being a bad host was far worse then killing someone (Killing a guest, now that was really bad).

The interesting thing, is that at heart pretty much all the religions and belief systems are "good". Even the Aztecs.

Unfortunately, none of them can agree on the precise definition of it...
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-25, 23:19   Link #3160
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

As one who dabbles in science and engineering, the realization that we humans are even less than a microdust in the face of the universe actually turned me towards religion in the search of some meanings in life, because I just couldn't accept that we humans are so irrelevant. We and our planet didn't even make up 0.05% of our own solar system.

Tags
not a debate, philosophy, religion