Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-04-11, 19:44   Link #681
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireChick View Post
Awww. What a sweet little anime this was. I loved every minute of it! I hope Crunchyroll streams the full versions of episodes 10 and 11.

Oh! This is kind of a random thought that's been following me since I finished the show. What if maybe AIC and Noitamina animated the middle of the manga as some sort of publicity stunt? Perhaps maybe, if Wandering Son was popular enough, they planned to make a prequel to the series which intends to animate all the chapters they skipped (perhaps possibly not on the Noitamina timeslot this time). It could be possible! It's happened with other anime! But then again I could be wrong. This is just a silly and random assumption from my feeble little autistic brain.
Maybe the main reason was notiaminA couldn't get hold of 2 season slots, and decided if they try to jam everything in one season, it wouldn't flow well or felt that the first half was too boring too animate? We probably won't know.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-02, 05:17   Link #682
Simon
気持ち悪い

My copy of the first Blu-ray volume arrived today. As you'd expect of a Japanese release the packaging is both pretty and tastefully understated, and at least to my non-expert eyes and ears the content is gorgeous in HD. The liner notes are fairly basic, just episode synopses and CD track listing, but as promised they do include a selection of fanart from the illustration contest that was run on Twitter.

The soundtrack CD is lovely, if somewhat short - it features seven tracks including Clair de Lune and totals a bit over 16 minutes. A second OST will ship with next month's volume, then in June we apparently get a drama CD.

New content on the BD is a 15-minute documentary on the anime's making (cutely titled ぼくたちの、めいきんぐ - anyone who's bought the manga will appreciate this), and an alternate version of Episode 1. Even if (like me) you can't follow the Japanese, the documentary is interesting simply for showing the business-as-usual creation of the show - and relevant to acejem's post above, anyone who does speak the language can hear from the director's own mouth why they chose to start the story with the middle school arc (from what I could pick up on the first listen, the phrase "one cour" featured prominently in his explanation).

The alternate version of Ep 1 differs only slightly from the one we've seen. There are some changes to the BGM (the most noticeable being they don't use Clair de Lune in that final scene), and some of the voice-overs are omitted, but I didn't spot any new content as such.
Old 2011-05-03, 16:47   Link #683
FireChick

Quote:
Maybe the main reason was notiaminA couldn't get hold of 2 season slots, and decided if they try to jam everything in one season, it wouldn't flow well or felt that the first half was too boring too animate? We probably won't know.
Actually, what I meant was: What if Noitamina INTENDED to animate the middle chapters as a way to get publicity for the anime? I never said anything about them wanting to animate the whole entire series in one cour. Maybe they thought "Hey! Since this manga is popular and we're short on episodes, we should animate the middle chapters to pull the fans in! If it's popular enough, maybe we can make a prequel that WON'T be on Noitamina and won't be as restricted!"
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-03, 19:41   Link #684
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireChick View Post
Actually, what I meant was: What if Noitamina INTENDED to animate the middle chapters as a way to get publicity for the anime? I never said anything about them wanting to animate the whole entire series in one cour. Maybe they thought "Hey! Since this manga is popular and we're short on episodes, we should animate the middle chapters to pull the fans in! If it's popular enough, maybe we can make a prequel that WON'T be on Noitamina and won't be as restricted!"
There is no way they would ever think that would work. Wandering Son was on noitaminA since that was where it had the best chance of making any money at all, it's such a niche show. Perhaps they thought that part of the middle school arc would be easier to compress into 11/12 episodes than the elementary school ones, or maybe the producers just liked that arc better.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-04, 02:55   Link #685
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

In addition, casting a real teenager (14) as Nitori clearly shows that there weren't further projects for this. If they really planned to work on it again in a couple years, then they'd probably have chosen a different seiyuu, a female sounding like a male for example . This way, shortly there won't be a Shuuichi's voice anymore, and what's Hourou Musuko without the "true" Nitori?
Old 2011-05-04, 08:31   Link #686
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
what's Hourou Musuko without the "true" Nitori?
An improvement. I liked the idea of casting a boy near the character's age, but that kid's acting was terrible.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-04, 13:30   Link #687
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
In addition, casting a real teenager (14) as Nitori clearly shows that there weren't further projects for this. If they really planned to work on it again in a couple years, then they'd probably have chosen a different seiyuu, a female sounding like a male for example . This way, shortly there won't be a Shuuichi's voice anymore, and what's Hourou Musuko without the "true" Nitori?
They could always skip a few more arcs (if the manga gets as far as adulthood...)
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-11, 03:47   Link #688
Simon
気持ち悪い

Off-topic, but anyone who's watched the anime might appreciate this:

Boy wears skirt to school in protest against 'discrimination'
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-11, 10:36   Link #689
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Talk about taking one for the team...
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-11, 17:29   Link #690
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Somehow I doubt any of his peers are going to give him crap for protesting a regulation they all hate. Also, this is completely different from what Nitori did.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-18, 08:42   Link #691
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
Also, this is completely different from what Nitori did.
Indeed. This is a lot closer:

Taiwan hospital fined for firing transvestite
Quote:
Taipei (May 18, Wed): A Taiwan hospital has been fined for violating gender equality laws by firing a cross-dressing male employee who came to work dressed as a woman.

Taipei's labour bureau ordered Mackay Memorial Hospital to pay NT$50,000 (US$1,700) for firing computer technician Chou Yi-jen last year.

The 35-year-old had been working at the hospital for five years when he started wearing women's clothes.

The case is believed to be the first of its kind on the island.

The hospital eventually fired Mr Chou, insisting the dismissal was unrelated to his cross-dressing, and was due to his job performance.

But labour officials told the BBC that Mr Chou had been verbally abused by supervisors and was required to seek permission to go to the bathroom.

They said they hope this case will serve as a warning to employers not to discriminate against workers. It is not clear whether Mr Chou will get his job back.

Taiwan is famous for film-makers such as Ang Lee, who produced internationally acclaimed films such as 2005 Oscar-winner Brokeback Mountain, about a gay cowboy.

But it is still grappling with how to fairly treat transvestites, homosexual and bisexual people.

BBC NEWS
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-25, 01:53   Link #692
Simon
気持ち悪い

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
are we sure that's a audio CD, not a drama? If so, then it looks like we'll be getting the DVD only soundtrack format.
Six months late, but good news on the OST front:

Official site - Amazon - CD Japan

By my count 24 of the 37 tracks listed on Amazon aren't on the bonus CDs that came BD/DVD vols 1 and 2, so it's still worth getting even if you have those. On the other hand it doesn't have Clair de Lune (月の光) from the first bonus CD.
Old 2011-07-25, 13:11   Link #693
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Fantastic news. Even more so because it's released two days before my birthday. Thanks for the update Simon.
Old 2011-08-25, 15:03   Link #694
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Can someone refresh my memory on when the full versions of Episodes 10 and 11 will come out?

Also, on a related note, is anyone else following the drama series IS? It's about "intersexed" teenagers, which isn't the same thing as transgendered teenagers, but it's in the same neighborhood.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-27, 17:23   Link #695
Simon
気持ち悪い

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBOvenGuy View Post
Can someone refresh my memory on when the full versions of Episodes 10 and 11 will come out?
Episode 10 is on BD/DVD volume 5 which came out last week (got mine on Friday). Episode 11 will be on volume 6, due out 21 September.

Spoiler for Full-length version of ep10:
Quote:
Also, on a related note, is anyone else following the drama series IS? It's about "intersexed" teenagers, which isn't the same thing as transgendered teenagers, but it's in the same neighborhood.
Thanks for the pointer - I've heard of the manga, but I didn't realise there was a drama adaptation. Has it been good so far?
Old 2011-08-27, 17:25   Link #696
FireChick

Is Crunchyroll gonna put up episodes 10 and 11 in both their entiretys?
Old 2011-08-27, 21:20   Link #697
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Thanks for the pointer - I've heard of the manga, but I didn't realise there was a drama adaptation. Has it been good so far?
It's cheesy and melodramatic in spots, and half the opening episode feels like an after-school special, but it's watchable. I'm really impressed by the job Fukuda Saki is doing in the lead role. I've only seen her play girly-girl parts before, but she's very convincing as a gender-queer teen who self-identifies as male.
Old 2011-09-30, 06:21   Link #698
FireChick

Does anyone know if the DVD episodes are subbed? I notice they're not on the net yet.
Old 2011-11-10, 01:22   Link #699
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Um... while trying not to say anything that's not allowed on this board... a subbed Episode 10 has now been spotted...
Old 2011-11-12, 00:01   Link #700
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

So great getting back inside this world. What a terrific series Hourou Musuko is, and there's a lot of good stuff in this full version of episode 10. But if you haven't read the manga, be warned - this will really whet your appetite.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coming of age, drama, genderbender, noitamina, school life, seinen