AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-12-08, 04:32   Link #21
Baba
Grouky Freak

Send a message via ICQ to Baba Send a message via MSN to Baba
Man, what a crappy article... I really hate it when those kind of magazines try to make pseudo scientific articles. They behave like they give you facts, but the truth is, they never give the conditions of their experiments neither do they give the proportion by which risks are increased, there just isn't a single quantitative value to be found in the whole article.
Morevoer, they make it sound like we know and perfectly understand those things just beacause it happens that someone with a PhD is telling them whereas in fact sleep is one of the least understood of our physiological process. We don't even know "why" we sleep, we just know that not sleeping is bad.... Neither can we explain cases like Alexcha17 of people who get by with 2 hours of sleep a day or even a lot less.
There's still a lot of research going on on sleep so it kind of angers me when a trendy journalist comes up and presents it like we know all there is to know about it to draw absolutely certain conclusions when the actual study probably leaves quite a lot of question marks...
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-08, 14:01   Link #22
Archuka
A territory most absolute

I sleep maybe 5 hours on weekdays and 12 hour on weekends and I'm always sleepy, always. I sometimes have to skip school because I'm too tired to get up in the morning and even after 12 hours of sleep I'm still sleepy.

By the way, there was this Korean guy who died in an internet Café after being awake and unfed for 36 hours. Soon afterwards another person in Thailand died because of similar reasons.
Archuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-08, 14:52   Link #23
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roots
Dammit! Well uhhh, I think I average out with my loss-of sleep / oversleep. Does that count?
I'm exactly the same I either sleep all day or barely sleep at all...
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-08, 23:07   Link #24
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff7799
Dude after skipping a hour or more of sleep every night this eventually becomes not only a habit but a regular routine and eventually the effects begin to show on a person more and more, I have missed hours of sleep since I started college. To be honest I haven't slept more than 4 hours a night on average this entire semester and I have forgotten what it feels like to wake up refreshed. and their are many people that stay awake for hundreds of hours, however this is all gradual, and often occurs over different time frames, some as short as a few weeks.
Wait... are you agreeing with me or arguing with me? I sort of got sidetracked in the middle of your paragraph. If you're agreeing with me then... YOU DA MAN! If not, then you need to put a point somewhere in that paragraph.
boneyjellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-08, 23:21   Link #25
Shoeshefied

Send a message via AIM to Shoeshefied
I believe those who tend to procrastinate shows more level of illness, such and such from the lack of a good day of sleep. (raised hand), i sleep every 10 mins or so, thus my sugar intake is to blame (i blame youuu). It all varies due to them body chemicals. (cursed)
Shoeshefied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-09, 12:16   Link #26
Spiggy
Invisible

Send a message via AIM to Spiggy Send a message via Yahoo to Spiggy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archuka
I sleep maybe 5 hours on weekdays and 12 hour on weekends and I'm always sleepy, always. I sometimes have to skip school because I'm too tired to get up in the morning and even after 12 hours of sleep I'm still sleepy.

By the way, there was this Korean guy who died in an internet Café after being awake and unfed for 36 hours. Soon afterwards another person in Thailand died because of similar reasons.
Not too many people/animals/plants/things can go for extended periods of not eating but 36hrs is too short of a time frame. There had to be something else to help cause those deaths. Maybe they were in there for 36hrs but haven't eaten or drank anything for longer periods before that time...shrugs idk
Spiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-09, 12:34   Link #27
Shay
Monarch Programmer

Ahh sleep! I love to sleep I can fall asleep anywhere and at any time, sometimes I even fall asleep whist in the middle of doiiiiiiiiiiiiiikkm,./
Current Album - Vessel by Twenty One Pilots
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-09, 16:29   Link #28
Archuka
A territory most absolute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiggy
Not too many people/animals/plants/things can go for extended periods of not eating but 36hrs is too short of a time frame. There had to be something else to help cause those deaths. Maybe they were in there for 36hrs but haven't eaten or drank anything for longer periods before that time...shrugs idk
You are correct. A person doesn't normally starve to death until a much longer time unfed than 36 hours, but I guess that combined with extreme tiredness could be worse. Also, he was probably sitting in front of a computer all that time...eww, my eyes, my brain!
Archuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-09, 17:16   Link #29
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archuka
As far as I know, that's just an unsubstanciated rumor. Now it is quite possible that someone could have died under similiar conditions through other means, such as overdosing on stimulants to stay awake.
Old 2004-12-11, 19:19   Link #30
100demons
F-Bomb

Sleep, Shmeep. I get enough.
100demons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-11, 20:19   Link #31
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

Oh Hell, if this thread is even slightly true then my funeral will probably be tommorrow, I invite you all to attend.
ChibiDusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-11, 21:20   Link #32
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiDusk
Oh Hell, if this thread is even slightly true then my funeral will probably be tommorrow, I invite you all to attend.
*gets prepared by throwing handfuls of dirt at Chibidusk*
boneyjellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-11, 21:52   Link #33
ff7799
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ff7799 Send a message via MSN to ff7799
Quote:
*Brings The Shovel to dig the hole*
ff7799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-14, 14:15   Link #34
Ero-Sannin

Send a message via MSN to Ero-Sannin
Quote:

*brings flowers to place them over the gravestone after the burial is done*

anyway about sleep i like sleep, sleep is good, i have the ability to sleep at will. Anyway why is it when you wake up from any nap, you totally lose track of time, [sleep is the cousin of death]

Last edited by Ero-Sannin; 2004-12-14 at 14:30.
Ero-Sannin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-14, 16:17   Link #35
Spiggy
Invisible

Send a message via AIM to Spiggy Send a message via Yahoo to Spiggy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ero-Sannin
*brings flowers to place them over the gravestone after the burial is done*

anyway about sleep i like sleep, sleep is good, i have the ability to sleep at will. Anyway why is it when you wake up from any nap, you totally lose track of time, [sleep is the cousin of death]
*brings chips to the party afterwards*
Please don't take this the wrong way but you people who can do that suck I can't do such a thing even though I'm constantly tired. I have been going to bed earlier but that just means that I wake up earlier.
Spiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-14, 17:05   Link #36
Reaver4k
Lucy's "Play Thing"

Send a message via MSN to Reaver4k
I get about 6-7 hours sleep during week days. Weekends is around 8-9 hours, but I spend about 2 hours laying in bed before I get up. BEcuase I have nothing else better to do
Reaver4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-15, 08:56   Link #37
GG_Luna128
Far, far away...

I have a friend that sleeps 2-3 hours three times a day. That's good or bad?

Now (vacation) I sleep 8-9 hours average, but some days I only sleep 4-5 hours. During the year, 6 hours a day, no nap.
GG_Luna128 is offline   Reply With Quote