AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-07-27, 19:49   Link #1
Draikan7

old animation

Anyone else have trouble getting into anime with old animation? i'm trying to watch slam dunk and victory gundam, but for some reason i just can't get into it. i think its because i've been spoiled with the current animations. i've watch at least 10 episodes of each and i dunno, anyone else have the same problem?
Old 2004-07-27, 19:51   Link #2
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draikan7
Anyone else have trouble getting into anime with old animation? i'm trying to watch slam dunk and victory gundam, but for some reason i just can't get into it. i think its because i've been spoiled with the current animations. i've watch at least 10 episodes of each and i dunno, anyone else have the same problem?
"Slam Dunk" and "V Gundam" are still rather new according to my standards.

Anything before 1985 = "old classics"
Anything after 1985 = "anime that I was brought up in"

So putting that aside, "do I have a problem 'getting into' [what I consider as] old anime?"

No. Frankly, to be honest with you, I consider today's anime to be sub-standard in story quality. Back then, the only the best of the best were animated - now, we have a inflation of animated shows which I am afraid is doing more hurt to the overall industry than helping it. Search the forums and somewhere you will find an extensive rant by me about this phenomena.
Old 2004-07-27, 20:21   Link #3
ramune

Old or new, it's the story that counts.

Slam Dunk is the only sports anime I've ever watched and liked.
Old 2004-07-28, 03:06   Link #4
Repulse
Lagrange's stepchild

pre 1985 stuff is not free of substandard anime either, however it was a much rarer occurance. But draikan7 seems to be thinking of the post 1985, pre 1995 decade period. Like any other period there are real gems and real crap among the anime, I remember watching this horiffic anime that had a central plot consisting entirely of clothes and pedophiles titled "the fashon boy is cool". It's understandable that some ppl may not be able to get use to the older styles, in which case it's only their loss (or gain: when they are bad they are really really bad). But really, in the end, not watching older stuff doesn't really exclude you from the anime watchers club, it's a hobby, so preferences are all relative.
Old 2004-07-29, 03:25   Link #5
carloboy
K-F Distro Guy

Send a message via AIM to carloboy Send a message via Yahoo to carloboy
I used to watch some really old anime's when i was a kid, like
lupin, speed racer(i think its japanese not sure), and the anime with the blue cat with the bell on his neck, but as of now i cannot stand them anymore. same here, ive been spoiled with such beautiful drawings and animation.

not all of them look bad though, man akira (wow) i thought it was released around the mid 90's i couldnt belive it released in 1986, the yr i was born.

some old animes are just too good though that i look past the "old" animation, like Golden Boy. funny as hell
Old 2004-07-29, 03:36   Link #6
Blaat

Frankly I don't mind old animation, I could watch everything between 1960s till today without any problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
"Slam Dunk" and "V Gundam" are still rather new according to my standards.
I think most people are standards way differently, "everything pre-computer animation is 'old animation'."
Old 2004-07-29, 05:10   Link #7
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

Personally, I see a lot of old animation out there that is still better drawn and better animated than a lot of current animation. Akira still ranks as the most well animated movie I've seen, easily beating out overhyped movies like Ghost in the Shell that did not deliver on superior animation. The Royal Space Force is another movie that outdoes most new anime in terms of both storytelling and animation. It ranks in the same ballpark as Akira in animation, and has one of the most memorable stories in all of anime.

Movies like Do You Remember Love? and Arcadia of My Youth also still beat out a lot of newer anime in some of the best action sequences of all time, and excellent stories to boot.

Series like Galaxy Express 999 might not have as good animation as newer shows, but Matsumoto has always had a very unique and interesting drawing style that stands out from the crowd of generic looking anime.

Also, I've noticed several shows recently that started out looking gorgeous, but then the animation went straight down the drain and never really recovered. Look no furthe than Last Exile for an example of that.

Speaking of Last Exile, bad CG does not sit well with me. I'd rather watch mediocre traditional animation than terrible CG. I know I'm in the minority with this opinion, at the moment. Shiny, gaudy, terribly done CG seems to be all the rage with people these days. I can't fathom why, though.

Also, I'm pretty much with kj1980 in what I consider old, though I push the 'old' limit back a few more years as I was brought up on shows like SDF Macross, which aired in 1982 aand is still my altime favourite anime franchise. However, I don't think all of the newer Macross shows stack up to the original. A couple do, a couple suprass it, but new does not equate to better. Not in terms of animation quality or storytelling.

I do disagree with kj1980 in that all new stuff lacks the storytelling quality of older stuff. There probably never was a golden age of anime when all titles were fabulous. We simply tend to only remember the classics. Even in this day and age there are classics being born that stack up to the classics of old, though to find them, as it always has been, you must wade waist deep in crappy, generic anime of the sort that causes most old timers to lament about the state of the industry and sing the songs of better days when the only shows airing in Japan were Ursei Yatsura, Lupin III, Tetsujin 28 and Space Battleship Yamato.
Old 2004-07-29, 09:16   Link #8
YaGaMi
The Conqueror

I've been watching Anime from a long time back and don't have problems watching old anime even today. Sometimes I prefer watching the old school style.
Old 2004-07-29, 11:36   Link #9
ZhanDVG
Hail to the Sky~

I actually prefer older to newer animation (story aside, judging animation alone)

I find it feels like it has a much more personal touch too it than all the cold computer enhanced animation of today. And one idiosyncracy of a lot of the really old school animation is how the picture "bobbles" a bit because it was originally on projector film. I dunno why but I really really like the picture bobble.
Old 2004-07-29, 13:29   Link #10
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

While newer series tend to look nice, they seem somewhat cold in appearance. Everything is perfectly rendered, coloured with no variations and animated in perfectly flawless form. This should be great but it lacks, to me at least, the small details and touches that give many older series their charm.

In older series, should one go looking for the details, lines are not always of uniform thickness and the details are not always drawn the same. It's possible to note the difference in the animation between one key-frame animator and another and even some of the in-betweeners work. Colours aren't always mixed exactly the same giving the series color variation across episodes or even scenes within one episode. There was great deals of imagination and creativity that were put into the effects in older series, they tended to have to be painstakingly hand drawn instead of being quickly generated using a computer.

I guess it just seems like the people who worked on older series put alot more of themselves into their work and it really came through and showed in the animation.
Old 2004-07-29, 14:25   Link #11
Innotech

I havent got a problem with older naimation. I watched Lupin III: Castle of cagliostro with as much excitement as anything new coming out, and the other night we watche Tsukikage Ran which also has that old school look to it. I agree that while some of todays shows are incredibly fun to watch too, they dont have the same personality and character that older anime had. If you want a great example of how a character can be, watch how Lupin III acts and compare to Spike Spiegel. Spikes good, but Lupin pioneered that type of character really.
Old 2004-07-29, 14:55   Link #12
Tritium
doaho...

I like the old animation better then the new high tech cg stuff I'm watching 2 old animes now mobile suit gundam (gundam 0079, this is a really old one hehe) and ofcourse slam dunk. The older animes still have some drawing style left, most of the animes now really look like each other.
Old 2004-08-02, 23:44   Link #13
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritium
The older animes still have some drawing style left, most of the animes now really look like each other.

That's always the case. Go back to the 90's, most anime looked like each other. Go back further to the 80's, most of the anime released around then looked like each other. Go back further still, to the 70's, and you see most of the anime of that time period looking the same.

Yet then, as is the case now, there are those that stick out from the crowd. You just have to look for them.
Old 2007-01-26, 11:03   Link #14
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

I was searching Ursei Yatsura thread came across this one . I am going to watch it my expectations are high Is it better than Maison Ikkoku ? I read the synopsis it seems a lil choto ecchi and I like Ecchi . Could some Ursei Yatsura watcher make a comparision onegai ^__^
Old 2007-01-26, 14:32   Link #15
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Mmm, how old are we talking about anyway? If you're talking about old old animes then watch Voltes V or Daimos. If you want something not old but not too old then you could try watching Revolutionary Girl Utena TV (not the movie!) or Magic Knight Rayearth. It's not way too old IMO.
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Old 2007-01-26, 18:00   Link #16
xxanimefan4_ever
Sorri++

uh draikan hasn't posted since june last year so i don't think know why someone posted and brought it up, oh and this is thread is 2 yearsold but I guess it could still be useful for someone else who has the same problem
Old 2007-01-26, 23:09   Link #17
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radd View Post
Personally, I see a lot of old animation out there that is still better drawn and better animated than a lot of current animation. Akira still ranks as the most well animated movie I've seen, easily beating out overhyped movies like Ghost in the Shell that did not deliver on superior animation. The Royal Space Force is another movie that outdoes most new anime in terms of both storytelling and animation. It ranks in the same ballpark as Akira in animation, and has one of the most memorable stories in all of anime.

Movies like Do You Remember Love? and Arcadia of My Youth also still beat out a lot of newer anime in some of the best action sequences of all time, and excellent stories to boot.

Series like Galaxy Express 999 might not have as good animation as newer shows, but Matsumoto has always had a very unique and interesting drawing style that stands out from the crowd of generic looking anime.

Also, I've noticed several shows recently that started out looking gorgeous, but then the animation went straight down the drain and never really recovered. Look no furthe than Last Exile for an example of that.

Speaking of Last Exile, bad CG does not sit well with me. I'd rather watch mediocre traditional animation than terrible CG. I know I'm in the minority with this opinion, at the moment. Shiny, gaudy, terribly done CG seems to be all the rage with people these days. I can't fathom why, though.

Also, I'm pretty much with kj1980 in what I consider old, though I push the 'old' limit back a few more years as I was brought up on shows like SDF Macross, which aired in 1982 aand is still my altime favourite anime franchise. However, I don't think all of the newer Macross shows stack up to the original. A couple do, a couple suprass it, but new does not equate to better. Not in terms of animation quality or storytelling.

I do disagree with kj1980 in that all new stuff lacks the storytelling quality of older stuff. There probably never was a golden age of anime when all titles were fabulous. We simply tend to only remember the classics. Even in this day and age there are classics being born that stack up to the classics of old, though to find them, as it always has been, you must wade waist deep in crappy, generic anime of the sort that causes most old timers to lament about the state of the industry and sing the songs of better days when the only shows airing in Japan were Ursei Yatsura, Lupin III, Tetsujin 28 and Space Battleship Yamato.
Wow. You pretty much said everything I was going to say. Damn weird. Specifically the CGI stuff and what you said about the past not being better but rather just different and idealized since we tend to only remember the classics.
Closed Thread