AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-10-09, 18:24   Link #61
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Yes, Rental Magica is the keyword (which I dropped, even if it took me a while). However. I already like the girls better and hate the male lead less. I just hope he doesn't surprise me with an suspense-killing, all-purpose omnipotent magical attack in the next episode. I might still get tired of this show later on which of course also depends on if will be one or two cours long. Finishing probability 70 percent.
Old 2008-10-09, 20:03   Link #62
kaevne

Did anyone actually watch the Sonzai fansub to this anime? The subtitles render the anime almost unwatchable. They left words like:

Hime

Ojou-sama

Youkai?!?!!

in the friggin subtitle! What kind of shoddy translator leaves romanized japanese words in the subtitle? As if the viewer should know what these words mean? Honestly, it looks more like it was subtitled for an Intro Japanese 100 class to help them learn japanese. What a joke.

Hopefully a more professional fansubbing group will take over this project.
kaevne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-09, 20:08   Link #63
Midonin
Last Engage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaevne View Post
Did anyone actually watch the Sonzai fansub to this anime? The subtitles render the anime almost unwatchable. They left words like:

Hime
Her name actually is Hime. You don't really translate someone's name as it's...well, their name.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-09, 20:13   Link #64
LKK

Quote:

Hime
Hime is the character's name. Her name is Hime Yarisakura according to ANN's page. Her name probably has its origins in the Japanese word, but now it functions as her name not her position or title.

Edit: Midonin wins the response race.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-09, 20:35   Link #65
Eczema
Ah! Pretty Shining Love!

Quote:

Hime

Ojou-sama

Youkai?!?!!

in the friggin subtitle! What kind of shoddy translator leaves romanized japanese words in the subtitle? As if the viewer should know what these words mean? Honestly, it looks more like it was subtitled for an Intro Japanese 100 class to help them learn japanese. What a joke.

Hopefully a more professional fansubbing group will take over this project.
I think most moderate anime-viewers would know what these words mean.
Eczema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-09, 21:36   Link #66
kaevne

My fault on the Hime part. I stopped watching the anime at that point.

Of course I know what youkai and ojou mean. The point is that translations do not adhere to translating best practices. Paul Johnson actually produced a very well-made documentary about this called, "The Rise and Fall of Anime Fan Subtitles," that he put on Youtube for all to watch:

art 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUYlq...eature=related
Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoJ_B...eature=related
Part 3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFu9l...eature=related
Part 4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8oYz...eature=related
Part 5 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED3HA...eature=related

The main gist is that translators should actually translate instead of placing a level of mysticism around certain japanese words in that carrying it over to english would cause it to lose its meaning. This is the translation school of thought, (I forgot the name), that is accepted as the professional method for foreign entertainment media. The subtitle should be as unobtrusive to the viewer as possible and, in doing so, try to come as close to the original experience of a native speaker. If a translator has a note about a word, do what professionals do and release a txt file with the episode.

Do you really think youkai can't be translated? Does it really make sense in any other context for even a Japanese person speaking English to use youkai in a normal english sentence?

"Hello Mr. H.R. Interviewer, we were watching Ghostbusters the other day and it was about four guys who fought youkai."
Old 2008-10-09, 21:39   Link #67
phishn37
Time to fly ~ !

I don't know, I don't think its a big deal to have those kinds of words in a sub, as long as the timing and everything is fine and the actual translation is fine.
phishn37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-09, 21:47   Link #68
lailaiboy

Spoiler for re::

Last edited by lailaiboy; 2009-01-03 at 13:19. Reason: no srsly, this thread's still around?
lailaiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-09, 21:51   Link #69
JediNight
キズランダム

I wouldn't worry about it lailaiboy. He's linking us to those trolling videos from that UK prick a few months ago that try to pretend they are the end-all authority on digital fansubs.

How's living in 1990 working for you?
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-09, 21:55   Link #70
kaevne

Lailaiboy,
I, for one, should be apologizing for complaining about a free service that you provide. I just wanted to rant a bit (and hopefully catch the eye of the original translator). Thank you for the response.

As for my less-ranty opinion, your subtitles are fine to a majority of the audience who will be actually watching the anime. These are mostly seasoned anime fans with some working knowledge of japanese. However, say I want to get my friend into anime. She has no knowledge of japanese. Knowing how non-noob-friendly the Yozakura Quartet translation is, I cannot offer for her to watch it. That is only my opinion. Again, I do appreciate your work because it allows so many people to watch this anime. Thanks again.

Cheers
Old 2008-10-09, 22:11   Link #71
SkyKing

"Anyone who has been in the anime/manga scene for atleast 1 year and doesnt know the meaning of ojou-sama or youkai should be shot"

Last edited by SkyKing; 2008-10-09 at 22:20. Reason: Hehe forgot the quotes
SkyKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-09, 22:16   Link #72
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Personally I'm kind of mixed -- I understand the "school of professional translating" (I actually do a bit of "professional translating" on rare occasion for software localization) but I also understand that this, fansub work, is a *hobby*.

Some of the appeal of japanese anime (particularly those with traditional or supernatural elements) is that it is a foreign place with alien cultural bits. Soooo, if the use of "youkai" gets someone off to google on it and learns something - that's not a terrible thing. Do I call it "nigiri" or "rice balls" (or "donuts")?

If ojou-sama conveys the station of someone named Aikiko (and Aikiko's later called Ai-chan by a special guy, that conveys information easily lost in translation).

No right answer to this debate... but each translator has to decide what his audience cares about in terms of information conveyed or lost. In terms of a hobby, he also has to please himself.

It may be professional to make it that unobtrusive... but then we starts to wonder why they're bothering to watch a foreign film if they want all the flavor sterilized out of it.

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-10-09 at 23:00.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-09, 22:21   Link #73
AngelsThesis
♪ツンツン デレツン♪ ♪デレツンツン♪

@kaevne
get over it, he doesnt own u anything, if u dont like it wait for another subber.

as for lailaiboy thanks for being the first on this anime.
AngelsThesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-09, 22:35   Link #74
Utau
Butler mitai~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Utau
Quote:
"Hello Mr. H.R. Interviewer, we were watching Ghostbusters the other day and it was about four guys who fought youkai."
you are kidding right?

I would not even bother watching those vids for i feel i'm only going to be irritated by it. If you or someone is planning to suggest an anime to his/her friend then it is only natural to guide/help them understand the context more. It's not like they'll understand what they watched in one-three go and not ask anything about the episode b'coz they fully understand the subs being literate english. You can simply explain to them what "妖怪" is and other things they fail to understand, since, you are the referrer and obviously the experienced viewer of such.

anyway, i'm about to watch Sonzai's subs in just a minute. I'm waiting for their ep.2.
Utau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-09, 23:08   Link #75
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Um... Angels Thesis and Utau, he's already apologized for it. Read through before blasting away, eh?
Old 2008-10-09, 23:39   Link #76
AngelsThesis
♪ツンツン デレツン♪ ♪デレツンツン♪

actually i did, but even though after apologizing i felt i had to drill it in his brain
Old 2008-10-10, 07:23   Link #77
kaosmos

hmmm..
Spoiler for episode 2:
kaosmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-10, 08:03   Link #78
phishn37
Time to fly ~ !

I didn't know what a youkai was...

Please don't shoot me!! I did know what ojou-sama was, though.
phishn37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-10, 08:10   Link #79
AngelsThesis
♪ツンツン デレツン♪ ♪デレツンツン♪

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaosmos View Post
hmmm..
Spoiler for episode 2:
Spoiler for ep 2:
Old 2008-10-10, 08:32   Link #80
kaosmos

ewww... i'm starting to regret not starting with the manga.

but W/E it was a good episode anyway,got to learn a little more on the m/c.
kaosmos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, comedy, shounen, supernatural