AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-04-01, 10:32   Link #901
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Actually, I think it could be said that Natsume is very good with children - youkai children anyway. Kai, Fox-boy, the little flying youkai that hatched from the egg - they seem drawn to him. Human children maybe not so much, but that fits with the overall themes of the series.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-01, 23:16   Link #902
AvianWing
lol whut?

Send a message via MSN to AvianWing
So.

If Reiko was indeed so terrible at interacting with other human beings, how did she ever become a mother much less a grandmother? I certainly hope it's not one of her whims where she decides she would conceive a child just because she was bored and it sounded like fun.

Unless it was already explained and I missed it X_x Need more Reiko back story!
AvianWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-02, 00:25   Link #903
FateAnomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvianWing View Post
So.

If Reiko was indeed so terrible at interacting with other human beings, how did she ever become a mother much less a grandmother? I certainly hope it's not one of her whims where she decides she would conceive a child just because she was bored and it sounded like fun.

Ya, thats what i always wondered too. But then again Reiko is still afterall quite pretty and nice to those who are not prejudiced against her. So i am not surprised that she got hitched in the end though.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-02, 01:30   Link #904
qmeister
Tsukkomi power!

However, Takashi's surname is the same as Reiko's. Which implies that Takashi's father kept Reiko's surname (implying that he was raised by her alone/illegitimate) then passed it down to Takashi. Hence they're all called Natsume.
qmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 11:44   Link #905
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Boy, I miss my weekly fix of warm feeling from this series. Serious withdrawal.
Old 2009-04-04, 13:50   Link #906
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Boy, I miss my weekly fix of warm feeling from this series. Serious withdrawal.
Rewatch the series --- that or listen to the musical score. I know it doesn't beat the real thing, though it's better then nothing.
Old 2009-04-04, 14:41   Link #907
TCman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvianWing View Post
So.

I was also thinking this way at first. I have my own theory about this. Since Reiko had more contact with youkais than with humans, her husband may be a youkai or half-youkai (part human, part youkai). I think no man is brave enough to approach her; there may be someone who can, but I guess he may have the same fate and abilities as her, e.g. seeing youkai etc. (also bullied by many because of that). Maybe the mangaka should make a gaiden manga "Reiko Yuuchinchou Gaiden" which can serve as a prequel for explaining things more clearly for the fans (and of course getting converted in anime).

I hope there's a third season, since there's so much material left from the manga for anime adaptation (the "Book of Friend" still has alot of pages left). Well, at least there should be some OVA's in the make.
TCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 00:10   Link #908
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Rewatch the series --- that or listen to the musical score. I know it doesn't beat the real thing, though it's better then nothing.
With this second season wrapping up rewatching from the first season isn't a bad move. Though at the end of it I'll probably be wanting a third season more than ever .
Old 2009-04-05, 00:21   Link #909
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

There seems to be some disagreement about just how much of the manga is in fact unadapted - I've heard multiple sources each claiming quite a bit or almost none.

Rewatched 13, and liked it even more the second time. Why can't every series end like this? Kai was such a beautifully realized character - a perfect vehicle for the conflict that is Natsume's existence and the spiritual heart of the series. Has there been a show in recent memory - or maybe even not so recent - that had the ability to make one or two-off characters so memorable?
Old 2009-04-05, 03:52   Link #910
Fevvers
a regular van veen

Quote:
Rewatched 13, and liked it even more the second time. Why can't every series end like this? Kai was such a beautifully realized character - a perfect vehicle for the conflict that is Natsume's existence and the spiritual heart of the series. Has there been a show in recent memory - or maybe even not so recent - that had the ability to make one or two-off characters so memorable?
Mushishi does it better I think, as well as Mononoke. All relative though, obviously.
Fevvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 03:55   Link #911
qmeister
Tsukkomi power!

Mushishi makes things heavy, each and every episode weighed on me like a ton of bricks.

Natsume doesn't give me that feeling. The characters still carry weight, but because Natsume as a character is so much easier to empathize with, I find the supporting cast of each episode seems more real to me.

That said, both series had some very memorable episodes, and some forgettable ones.
Old 2009-04-05, 04:07   Link #912
Fevvers
a regular van veen

I never felt that for Natsume's one-shot characters, probably because of the way the series kept on playing it safe, even when it came to tackling potentially serious issues.
Fevvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 11:26   Link #913
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmeister View Post
Mushishi makes things heavy, each and every episode weighed on me like a ton of bricks.

Natsume doesn't give me that feeling. The characters still carry weight, but because Natsume as a character is so much easier to empathize with, I find the supporting cast of each episode seems more real to me.

That said, both series had some very memorable episodes, and some forgettable ones.
Mushishi was the only one that sprang to mind for me when I posed the question, not surprising since it's the natural series to compare this to. I loved that show too, but in general I find I've forgotten most of the one-off characters other than sketchy details. Even for S1 of this Natsume Yuujinchou, though, many of those still stand out in my memory.
Old 2009-04-06, 17:25   Link #914
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Well I finally finished up the series and I liked it. I wish the ending had been a little more, ending-ish, but if we have a third season that won't bother me as much...
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-07, 23:36   Link #915
Guesser

Good series. I fully enjoyed both seasons. The one thing I like about this show is how the ending always fades into the ED song perfectly and the mood is just perfect. It's not like some endings where it's sad and then the ED song just ruins the moment (ie. Clannad S2).

I hope they animate the whole manga, just how like Aria in a way.

*Crosses fingers for season 3 in the future*
Guesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-07, 23:45   Link #916
qmeister
Tsukkomi power!

Time to marathon both seasons with a box of tissues handy.
Old 2009-04-08, 12:17   Link #917
vspirit
...huh?

Quote:
There seems to be some disagreement about just how much of the manga is in fact unadapted - I've heard multiple sources each claiming quite a bit or almost none.
Really? Cos I just ran through my collection of the manga again (I have until volume 7) and I'm positive that everything up to volume 6 has indeed already been animated. Excluding that one special mini-chapter whose exclusion I've been lamenting, of course.

To verify, here are all the manga chapters and their corresponding episodes (painstakingly done by someone else) for quick and easy reference:

Volume 1
Ch. 1: Introducing Nyanko-sensei and the Yuujinchou (Season 1 Ep. 1: The Cat And The Book Of Friends)
Ch. 2: Featured Youkai: Tsuyukami (Season 1 Ep. 2: The Dew God's Small Shrine)
Ch. 3: Introducing Tanuma Kaname (Season 1 Ep. 3: The Mysterious Person at Yatsuhara)
Ch. 4: The story of the swallow Tsubame (Season 1 Ep. 6: Swallow at the Lake Bottom)

Volume 2
Ch. 5: Featured Youkai: Shigure (Season 1 Ep. 4: Shigure and the Girl)
Ch. 6: Hinoe helping Natsume to deal with the curse (Season 1 Ep. 12: Five Day Mark)
Ch. 7: Introducing Natori Shuuichi and his harem and Hiiragi (Season 1 Ep. 9: Ayakashi Exorcism)
Ch. 8: The story of Akagane and Asagi (Season 1 Ep. 10: Asagi's Koto)

Volume 3
Ch. 9: Featured Youkai: Black Nyanko-sensei Riou (Season 2 Ep. 1: The Stolen Book Of Friends)
Ch. 10: The story of the firefly Hotaru (Season 1 Ep. 8: Fleeting Light)
Ch. 11: Natsume attending the exorcists' meeting (Season 2 Ep. 11: Assembly Of Exorcists)
Ch. 12: Raising the tatsumi Tama (Season 2 Ep. 4: A Chick Hatches)

Volume 4
Ch. 13: Featured Youkai: Snow bunny Gen and Sui (Season 2 Ep. 2: Melting Into Spring)
Ch. 14: Fan service Hot spring trip (Season 2 Ep. 3: Youkai Exorcism Amid The Steaming Springs)
Ch. 15: Miya and the picture of Sakura trees (Season 2 Ep. 9: The Man Amidst The Rows Of Sakura Trees)
Side story 1: Featured Youkai: Little fox (Season 1 Ep. 7: The Little Fox's Hat)
Side story 2: A Youkai trying and failing to befriend a young Natsume
Side story 3: Nyanko-sensei and the little girl Tamiko (Season 1 Ep. 11: Nyanko's Book of Boredom)

Volume 5
Ch. 16: Featured Youkai: the mermaid Sasafune (Season 2 Ep. 8: Emotions Undying)
Ch. 17-18: Introducing Taki Tooru (Season 2 Ep. 6-7: The Maiden's Circle & That Which You Must Not Call)
Ch. 19: The story of Reiko and Shigeru-san (Season 2 Ep. 10: Temporary Home)
Side Story 4: Tanuma wondering about his friendship with Natsume (Season 1 Ep. 13: Autumn Banquet)

Volume 6
Ch. 20-22: A boy named Ishio (Season 2 Ep. 12-13: The Young Boy In The Empty House & Human And Youkai)
Side Story 5: Little fox visiting Natsume (Season 1 Ep. 7: The Little Fox's Hat)
Side Story 6: How Reiko and Hinoe met (Season 2 Ep. 5: Tree Of Promise)

There you go. All chapters until volume 6 accounted for save one. =) There are a couple of unlisted episodes whose stories are anime-only.

Apparently there are enough magazine chapters out now to be compiled into volume 8 and even scratch the beginning of vol 9. I can hardly wait. I'm barely resisting downloading the Chinese raws as is. Only thing stopping me is the fact that I won't be able to read 'em. =(

Last edited by vspirit; 2009-04-08 at 12:36.
vspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-08, 13:35   Link #918
SkoolRumble4Ya

Damn I just finished the last episode last night I gotta say I'm gonna miss this show but since the dvds have been selling well I woudn't be suprise if there was a season 3 in the works.
SkoolRumble4Ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-09, 00:31   Link #919
umesketch
milk tea?

I finally got around to watching the last episode and I have to say, I found the ending fitting. I was glad it ended happily, since the rest of the series was so bittersweet. It was an enjoyable ending.

Though a third season would be amazing... I guess time to move onto the manga.
umesketch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-11, 02:55   Link #920
BiFr0st

It wouldnt be surprising if there is a 3rd season in the making because theres still so much they could do and some unresolved matters.
BiFr0st is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brains-base, fantasy, supernatural, yokai