AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-09-08, 16:30   Link #3421
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

At the end of the day we love the show, and that's all that matters. Sure i wish more people would give it a try, though those are the breaks. Most of my personal favourite shows are ones that are far from being popular.
Old 2011-09-08, 19:40   Link #3422
User68604
Disabled By Request

I just watched 20 episodes in a row...

Akane has been introduced. She's a nice character, but I'm really hoping that she's Ko's final "obstacle" on his way to moving on and being with Aoba. They belong together, period...

edit: Up to 35. It's refreshing and somewhat surprising to see how mature all the characters are in this series. It's a great change of pace of how every other school-setting anime is like...

But, now it has become complicated. Azuma/Aoba is a legitimate possibility along with Akane/Ko...I'm not sure how I feel about it, but something does not feel right. The chemistry of Aoba/Ko is just too good for them to not be together...

Last edited by User68604; 2011-09-08 at 21:38.
User68604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-08, 11:32   Link #3423
Whitemoon648
Sawa-Chan <3 <3 <3

Just finished it. I really liked the series. A bit long, but a very good story. I didn't feel it left any loopholes at all. It was very good a for a 50 episode anime.

Relationship part was a bit confusing though. Since the above poster hasn't watched it yet i will ask my question in spoiler tag .

Spoiler for question about the ending of CG:

ty for any answers .

Last edited by Whitemoon648; 2011-10-08 at 13:55.
Whitemoon648 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-08, 14:15   Link #3424
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Spoiler for Answers, with spoilers:
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-08, 14:43   Link #3425
Whitemoon648
Sawa-Chan <3 <3 <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Spoiler for Answers, with spoilers:
Thanks what you wrote made great sense to me .

Spoiler:
Old 2012-05-02, 10:26   Link #3426
Salva
Princess since baptism.

One question if I may. WHY did she hit him in the last episode? I understand frustration and her crying (more or less...) but why did she have to hit him? And why he let her do that?
Old 2012-06-07, 21:31   Link #3427
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I just marathoned Cross Game last week and have to say it's one of the most entertaining anime shows I've ever watched. I don't have any deeper insights into the show, but I would like to discuss Salva's question about Aoba slapping Kou in episode 50.

I found that a bit jarring myself. I understand the dynamics of the tsundere character, but the slap seemed a bit too "tsun" at that point to me as well. I can don my psychologist's hat and view it as a last-ditch effort by Aoba's psyche to deny her feelings for Kou. From a ritualistic perspective, the slap mght have been the expected method for Aoba to display her supposed disdain for Kou. Regardless it seemed a bit too melodramatic. Coming to grips with your true feelings for each other while surrounded by dozens of people wouldn't be my first choice.

I was started by how much shorter Aoba was compared to Kou in that scene. I generally found that whole scene annoying, if not offensive, because it plays upon the patriarchal stereotype of the strong, emotionless man taking care of the weak, emotional woman. Kou is hardly emotionless as a character, but you wouldn't know it from that scene where he hides his feelings to look "strong."

It's a shame that SynergySP hasn't had more chances to shine. I guess the, to be brutally honest, pathetic DVD sales and mediocre ratings for Cross Game suggests we foreigners liked this show a hell of a lot more than did the Japanese.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2012-06-07 at 21:45.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-08, 01:10   Link #3428
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Glad you finally drained the Kool-aid, Sensei - this one is a true classic, one of the very best ever. As to why it wasn't more successful I can't say - maybe Adachi is just too old-school for today's anime audience.
Old 2012-06-08, 07:14   Link #3429
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Oh, this isn't my first time, Enzo. I watched it while it was released and have a few posts in this thread from that time as well. I decided it was time to watch Cross Game again and did so over maybe five days.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-08, 10:53   Link #3430
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Oh, this isn't my first time, Enzo. I watched it while it was released and have a few posts in this thread from that time as well. I decided it was time to watch Cross Game again and did so over maybe five days.
Damn - you did, didn't you? I totally forgot.

Now you have to watch Chihayafuru, since it was just renewed!
Old 2012-06-10, 11:31   Link #3431
Salva
Princess since baptism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I just marathoned Cross Game last week and have to say it's one of the most entertaining anime shows I've ever watched. I don't have any deeper insights into the show, but I would like to discuss Salva's question about Aoba slapping Kou in episode 50.

I found that a bit jarring myself. I understand the dynamics of the tsundere character, but the slap seemed a bit too "tsun" at that point to me as well. I can don my psychologist's hat and view it as a last-ditch effort by Aoba's psyche to deny her feelings for Kou. From a ritualistic perspective, the slap mght have been the expected method for Aoba to display her supposed disdain for Kou. Regardless it seemed a bit too melodramatic. Coming to grips with your true feelings for each other while surrounded by dozens of people wouldn't be my first choice.

I was started by how much shorter Aoba was compared to Kou in that scene. I generally found that whole scene annoying, if not offensive, because it plays upon the patriarchal stereotype of the strong, emotionless man taking care of the weak, emotional woman. Kou is hardly emotionless as a character, but you wouldn't know it from that scene where he hides his feelings to look "strong."

It's a shame that SynergySP hasn't had more chances to shine. I guess the, to be brutally honest, pathetic DVD sales and mediocre ratings for Cross Game suggests we foreigners liked this show a hell of a lot more than did the Japanese.
Finally a response!

The scene was kind of forced and unnecessary. First thing they could do that in private, second by that time Aoba should be able to accept her and his feelings and hitting him was... Inapropriate for me. But I'm overly sensitive to aggresive females that slap everyone around. It infuriates me.
Old 2012-12-02, 16:23   Link #3432
Nafi

Sorry for reviving the thread, but I am still questioning myself on this anime. I basically watched it in a month (25 days to be exact) and was really satisfied with the entire plot. The fact that Aoba (A tsundere, but not Type A like Shana) and Kou (suppresses his emotion most of the show) are close and both share a great loss is something I rarely find. Not only was there hints of romance in episode 1 (Waka expressing herself), but everyone says that Aoba and Kou are very similar (which hints that they should go out), but nobody makes a move. I still can't find any anime that have a past story between two people and they basically hate each other (well one sided hate).

Now I have a question about Kou in the last few episodes:

The pitch he did to Mishima, was that 160 km?

Whatever happened to Wakaba's birthday presents? (I know Adachi wants us to think about it, but any guesses or predictions)

Is Koushien a finals game? Like I thought it was the game against Mishima's team, but it wasn't. So what is Koushien?

Did Kou always like Aoba?

I know this question has always been debated about (especially on other forums), but hear me out.

Wakaba and Kou were basically love birds (even though Kou didn't express anything), and Aoba hated Kou because Kou was always with Wakaba. Now the thing is, Wakaba basically tells Kou what type of guy that Aoba likes and Wakaba gives him a training sheet. After the tragedy, Kou did those exercises everyday just to get better at pitching. Doesn't that mean Kou was aiming to win Aoba's heart and that Wakaba knew? Is it a possibility?

P.S. I somewhat disliked the ending but also got satisfied (hard to explain).

Old 2012-12-02, 18:11   Link #3433
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafi View Post
The pitch Ko did to Mishima, was that 160 km?
Most likely yes. But radar gun failed to read his pitch, so no one can conclusively say if he actually did. In the end though, it didn't matter. Veteran players like Junpei and Aoba could tell from experience alone that it was very fast, close to if not 160km/h. And also, the pitch won the game, so its actual velocity is moot.

Quote:
Whatever happened to Wakaba's birthday presents? (I know Adachi wants us to think about it, but any guesses or predictions)
I don't remember clearly any more, but I think Kou bought every present except the last one for Wakaba's 16th birthday. As for what he actually did with them, he stored them away as keepsakes of a promise made and faithfully kept.

Quote:
Is Koushien a finals game? Like I thought it was the game against Mishima's team, but it wasn't. So what is Koushien?
Guardian Enzo can probably give you a more in-depth answer as he had personally visited the stadium. For the general answer, Wikipedia is your friend: Koshien Stadium. Basically, the stadium is "hallowed ground" as far as Japanese high-school baseball players are concerned, because it is where the final game of the national tournament is held. To play, and win, in Koushien is to be counted among the best high-school baseball teams in Japan.

Quote:
Did Kou always like Aoba?
Read the thread, lol. There are a range of views. I am among those who believe that Kou had always liked Aoba, and Wakaba herself was aware of it, hence her cryptic but friendly warning to Aoba not to take Kou away from her.

Quote:
Wakaba and Kou were basically love birds (even though Kou didn't express anything), and Aoba hated Kou because Kou was always with Wakaba. Now the thing is, Wakaba basically tells Kou what type of guy that Aoba likes and Wakaba gives him a training sheet. After the tragedy, Kou did those exercises everyday just to get better at pitching. Doesn't that mean Kou was aiming to win Aoba's heart and that Wakaba knew? Is it a possibility?
Yes, among other things. Would clarify, though, that Kou's feelings for Wakaba were sincere. As for whether it was really love, who knows? I think even Kou himself wasn't really sure in the end. But it didn't matter, because Wakaba was dead and she remained only a cherished memory. He had to move on, as did Aoba.

Quote:
Spoiler:
I liked the way the story ended. Some things don't need to be spelt out so explicitly. I side with some Japanese who tend to believe that if you put your thoughts and feelings to words, they become less sincere. Far better to put thoughts and feelings into action that your loved ones can personally experience and hence infer the intent behind your actions.

(A bit of cultural awareness is possibly needed to understand the above point of view. The Japanese language is notorious for its use of a variety of synonyms to express subtle differences in meaning. There are different ways, for example, for a Japanese to tell you "no" without actually saying the word, which they loathe to say because they consider it rude to directly refuse requests from others. As a result, it's possible for the Japanese to hide their true meanings behind a cascade of pretty but meaningless words, which likely contributes to the feeling that words alone are insincere, and that proof by action is much more honest.)

Basically, actions speak louder than words. In the above scenario, the fact that Aoba doesn't let go of Kou's hands despite what she said says everything I need to know about their relationship. It's rock solid.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-02, 18:31   Link #3434
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
What Kou's team won were the regional matches. The schools who manage to win their respective regionals across the country get to play in Koushien stadium, where the national tournament is held.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-02, 21:42   Link #3435
Nafi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post

I don't remember clearly any more, but I think Kou bought every present except the last one for Wakaba's 16th birthday. As for what he actually did with them, he stored them away as keepsakes of a promise made and faithfully kept.
Well If I recall, there were around 2 more things on his list, like the engagement ring being last. I hate and love how Adachi wants us to think and figure things out with predictions.

Quote:

Read the thread, lol. There are a range of views. I am among those who believe that Kou had always liked Aoba, and Wakaba herself was aware of it, hence her cryptic but friendly warning to Aoba not to take Kou away from her.
That's what I also thought, but then I saw all these other opinions and want to see if anyone else has the exact same thoughts. Apparently, a lot of people have thought this, but then people are able to use their imagination to prove it false, so it's very mind boggling.

Quote:

I liked the way the story ended. Some things don't need to be spelt out so explicitly. I side with some Japanese who tend to believe that if you put your thoughts and feelings to words, they become less sincere. Far better to put thoughts and feelings into action that your loved ones can personally experience and hence infer the intent behind your actions.

(A bit of cultural awareness is possibly needed to understand the above point of view. The Japanese language is notorious for its use of a variety of synonyms to express subtle differences in meaning. There are different ways, for example, for a Japanese to tell you "no" without actually saying the word, which they loathe to say because they consider it rude to directly refuse requests from others. As a result, it's possible for the Japanese to hide their true meanings behind a cascade of pretty but meaningless words, which likely contributes to the feeling that words alone are insincere, and that proof by action is much more honest.)

Basically, actions speak louder than words. In the above scenario, the fact that Aoba doesn't let go of Kou's hands despite what she said says everything I need to know about their relationship. It's rock solid.
Well I do know some stuff about the culture, such as saying no (only no in a straightforward manner especially) is rude. I didn't know about "putting thoughts into words" being insincere, thanks for telling me this, it might help me analyze some anime/shows in the future.

The ending is by far very unique when compared to most anime, even though it did lack a kiss, but a kiss would mean that they both openly accepted and that would also change their personality. And if they did kiss with the same personality, Aoba will be very tsundere about it (this will also change the way the story follows up to the ending). I also am against them kissing because it basically changes the characters we have seen for 49 episodes. The only way I would possible like them kissing is if they followed up the story in a different way. Anyway, the kiss would probably leave questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post

What Kou's team won were the regional matches. The schools who manage to win their respective regionals across the country get to play in Koushien stadium, where the national tournament is held.
Thank you for clarifying this. This explains a lot now. After they said they were going to Koushien (after they won the regionals), I thought I misinterpreted the meaning of it. I then thought it was probably a hall of fame.
Old 2012-12-02, 21:59   Link #3436
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Well I do know some stuff about the culture, such as saying no (only no in a straightforward manner especially) is rude. I didn't know about "putting thoughts into words" being insincere, thanks for telling me this, it might help me analyze some anime/shows in the future.
I learnt about it from a BBC documentary a while back. Unfortunately, I've lost the link to the video and article. The story was actually about how Japanese women were beginning to redefine their sense of self and independence in old age. In many cases, the women felt trapped in their marriage out of a sense of maternal duty, and so a few them divorced their husbands once their children had grown up and left home.

But it wasn't all doom and gloom, because there were husbands who said they would be helpless without their wives and confessed that they had taken their wives for granted and wanted to make amends. There was one husband who was visibly embarrassed when asked if he ever told his wife that he loved her. It was clear he never did, but that was when he clarified that it would feel wrong to say those words aloud, because he would sound insincere (it's like this: if you've never said those words, why would you suddenly say them now; does it even matter any more; if you love her, shouldn't a lifetime of actions have proven it?).

His wife was besides him during the interview, and she seemed amused at his discomfort. They struck me as a loving couple, who have grown so used to each other's habits that there was little to be said between them that they didn't already know.
Old 2012-12-02, 22:21   Link #3437
Nafi

Quote:
I learnt about it from a BBC documentary a while back. Unfortunately, I've lost the link to the video and article. The story was actually about how Japanese women were beginning to redefine their sense of self and independence in old age. In many cases, the women felt trapped in their marriage out of a sense of maternal duty, and so a few them divorced their husbands once their children had grown up and left home.

But it wasn't all doom and gloom, because there were husbands who said they would be helpless without their wives and confessed that they had taken their wives for granted and wanted to make amends. There was one husband who was visibly embarrassed when asked if he ever told his wife that he loved her. It was clear he never did, but that was when he clarified that it would feel wrong to say those words aloud, because he would sound insincere (it's like this: if you've never said those words, why would you suddenly say them now; does it even matter any more; if you love her, shouldn't a lifetime of actions have proven it?).

His wife was besides him during the interview, and she seemed amused at his discomfort. They struck me as a loving couple, who have grown so used to each other's habits that there was little to be said between them that they didn't already know.
Unfortunately you don't have the link, well at least you told me what it was about. Now I understand where you are coming from, but some reason I think of this with generations before me. Like the newer generation probably thinks otherwise about this, but I'm most likely wrong.

Also, should I read the Cross Game manga? I heard from other's feedback that they said that the manga is better than the anime because it was well done. Is that true, or will I just read the same exact things I saw during the anime. Also, is Kodacha comparable to this anime? (I know it's off topic)
Old 2012-12-03, 00:26   Link #3438
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Unfortunately you don't have the link, well at least you told me what it was about. Now I understand where you are coming from, but some reason I think of this with generations before me. Like the newer generation probably thinks otherwise about this, but I'm most likely wrong.
It turns out that it's not hard to recover the links, at least for the articles.
It seems that I was reading about what has become known as the "grey divorce" or "retired husband" syndrome.

Quote:
Also, should I read the Cross Game manga? I heard from other's feedback that they said that the manga is better than the anime because it was well done. Is that true, or will I just read the same exact things I saw during the anime.
The anime is a "faithful" adaptation of the manga. There are certain things the anime did better than the manga (Aoba's "three sighs", for example). There were also anime-original episodes which I felt strengthened the story, particularly from Aoba's point of view. The manga broke the fourth wall a number of times. Though it is occasionally amusing, I generally don't like such humour as it detracts from suspension of disbelief.

Still, there will be manga purists who will claim that the "original" is always better. It's best that you read it and find out for yourself.
Old 2012-12-03, 05:15   Link #3439
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Put me down for "Kou always liked Aoba". PS - if you like Kou (who wouldn't) Kaitou from Robotics;Notes is reminding me of him a bit.

In terms of Koushien, in this context it refers both to a place - Koushien Stadium, near Kobe - and an event, the National High School Baseball Championships, which are held there and generally just called "Koushien". In the final game of the series, it's the preliminaries that Kou's team wins - the right to go play in the Summer Koushien (there's also a Spring version). Summer Koushien is possibly the most popular sporting event in Japan.
Old 2012-12-05, 09:00   Link #3440
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Put me down for "Kou always liked Aoba".
whoa. those are fighting words. i don't necessarily agree with that line of thought. will elaborate later.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baseball, drama, romance, school life, shounen, sports