AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Higurashi

Notices

View Poll Results: Your favorite Higurashi character Pt. 2
Maebara Keiichi 73 17.18%
Ryuguu Rena 157 36.94%
Sonozaki Mion 66 15.53%
Houjou Satoko 15 3.53%
Furude Rika 68 16.00%
Sonozaki Shion 46 10.82%
Voters: 425. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-09-28, 21:03   Link #81
imac2much

Although I liked Rena for much of the series, after everything is said and done, I seem to like Mion the most (not sure why ). If all of Keiichi's "KOOL" modes were shown, I have a suspicion I'd like him the most, but without the KOOL mode and the monologues, he's kind of shallow =\

1. Mion
2. Rena
3. Keiichi
4. Rika
5. Satoko
6. Shion
Old 2006-09-28, 21:21   Link #82
theacefrehley
Guitar Man

I had a hard time choosing between Mion and Rena...
It tears my heart but... Rena is the one

1.00 Rena
1.01 Mion
3. Shion
4. Rika
5. Satoko
6. Keiichi
Old 2006-09-28, 21:47   Link #83
Pakxenon
popcorn

1. Rena - hard to resist teh kawaiigasms
2. Rika - too much Nii-pah!'s!
3. Keichii - movin' on up
4. Mion - the top three had more attention
5. Satoko - didn't have enough attention
6. Shion - what's with the Satoshi-kun shit?
Old 2006-09-28, 22:00   Link #84
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

1. Rena - Need I say more? Look to Tsumihoroboshi-hen!
2. Keiichi- This guy earned my respect in Onikakushi-hen and his roles in all the subsequent arcs have proven that there's more to him than simply "going psychotic/insane'.
3. Rika- Although not the protagonist, she's the sympathetic star. Adorable and, at times, freakishly mature, she's a lovable character and it makes me angry to think someone would want to kill her.
4. Satoko- I wasn't too fond of her before but I loved her laugh; the manga really helped me like her a lot more, since her "trap" fetish wasn't explained until Tsumihoroboshi-hen. Her conviction in Meakashi-hen was respectable, too.
5. Mion- She's pretty plain. A nice, sincere girl; but beyond that, there's really nothing much to her!
6. Shion- I hate Shion. An overblown infatuation over a guy who might not be dead lead to the deaths of six other people; major fail.
Old 2006-09-28, 22:28   Link #85
imac2much

A small point:
Spoiler:
Old 2006-09-28, 23:04   Link #86
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by imac2much
A small point:
Spoiler:
Uh,

Spoiler:
Old 2006-09-28, 23:23   Link #87
imac2much

Spoiler:
Old 2006-09-29, 01:07   Link #88
Jinsoo
KAGEYAMA!!!
*Artist

Send a message via AIM to Jinsoo Send a message via MSN to Jinsoo
I STILL like Shion the best XD She was totally crazy, but I still love her :3

1. Shion- Hey, I'd probably kill if I was that unstable too .-. Losing the person I love and being paranoid that my family had something to do with it, hell, I'd be pissed D: Though her actions were totally rash, I can understand where she's coming from. I see the good in her, it's just that Satoshi made her nuts ;p Love makes you do crazy crap that it does(Hi Kenshin! lol).
2. Mion- Twins, yes? She's good hearted, I like her but for some reason, not as much as Shion o_O; Yeah, don't ask why Not much to say about her...well actually...she's the more stable one XD
3. Rika- My friend keeps on obsessing over her, I think it rubbed off on me now. She's cute and stuffs. And when she gets all mature and stuffs, her voice is total MOE~<3
4. Rena- She's awesome with giant knives
5. Keiichi- Dood, it's Keiichi, I'd have him be 4 but like, ladies 1st y'know? But still, this guy is pimp haha. Not much to say about him, but he's cool :3
6. Satoko- Out of em, I still like Satako the least even if all that crap happend to her DX I feel sorry for her, but there's just something I don't like about her

Oishi is like my least favorite in the whole show. Friggin' fat, annoying, and nosey. If the killer lolis wanna kill each other, LET THEM BE! :x
Old 2006-09-29, 01:58   Link #89
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Poor Satoko needs more love....
Old 2006-09-29, 02:04   Link #90
SnowfairyX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful Death
Poor Satoko. If I hadn't already voted for Rika I would toss a vote her way.

I guess the anime showed no mercy to her in terms of character development...
Yeah, I feel the same way too and that's unfortunate. Although she has some qualities that I like, she is probably the least developed of the main characters in the anime. She's occasionally pretty cute though, notably in episode 25, but she is still not my favorite character by a long shot but definitely not my least favorite either. That award goes to Shion, easily.

I haven't voted yet but after I watch the last episode (while keeping my expectations extremely low ), I think I'm almost 100% sure that I'm still going to vote for Rena in the end. It's kind of hard to find one quality that I don't like about her at this point.
Old 2006-09-29, 02:09   Link #91
sagematt
Magician of Words

1. Keiichi: He is K1 after all. But still, I'd rather tie him with Rena.
1. Rena: My greatest love. When she wants to take it home, I want to take her home.
2. Rika: So moe it hurts. I just hope Mai pulls a "Mi~" on us, and I will happily leave to the afterlife.
3. Satoko: Damn, she got the lolicon and siscon out of me ;_;
4. Shmion: I'd normally got with shy Mion, but a cunning Shion is fine too.

Just to clarify: I don't like to catalog them, because there always is a last place. Then I'd rather put them all on the first place.
Old 2006-09-29, 02:32   Link #92
LuckyCat
Wise Kitty Cat

Between Mion, Shion, K1, and Rena it's a four-way tie for me. I guess that shows this series has some awesome character depth for all its main players.
Old 2006-09-29, 12:58   Link #93
Wanderer
Goat

After Onikakushi-hen it was:

1 Rena
2 Everyone else

Didn't really change much until the answer arcs started. Then I became really fickle. There was a period where Mion was my favorite and a period where Satoko was. After Tsumihoroboshi-hen though, my list is:

1 Keiichi- This guy used to just kinda bug me by being really stupid... though, once I read some of the manga I realized that he only gives that impression in the anime. He has just too many cool moments, especially in Tsumihoroboshi-hen.
Spoiler for ep 26:

2 Rena- She's sugoku kaai~~ and she's got incredibly good taste in both clothes and murder weapons

3 Satoko- Helped *a lot* that I read some of the manga... where she's a lot more developed. I love the fights that she and K1 get into over her pranks. And that one tooth thing just gets me...

4 Rika- She manages to be #4 by sheer cuteness alone. Mii~~

5 Mion- Gotta love her enthusiasm. She's pretty hot (at least when well animated) And I love how she calls Keiichi "Kei-chan".

6 Shion- I'm pretty neutral towards Shion. Maybe I'll change my mind when I get to Meakashi-hen in the manga.

This was a difficult list to make. I love all 5 of the main characters so much. Any one of them could easilly be a "favorite character" if they weren't put up against such strong competition.
Old 2006-09-29, 13:51   Link #94
Wanderer
Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by imac2much
A small point:
Spoiler:
Well, for one, I think Rika has two personalities "Furude Rika and Frederica are different".

In fact though, every one of the main characters is living a lie. They're all acting like everything is fine, when in fact they all have dark pasts. Rena had the baseball bat incident back at her old school. Satoko had her parents die (in fact, I think she's involved in that too) and then there's the thing with her brother which she blames herself for. Mion is deeply involved with the yakuza. At the very least we know that she had her sister's finger nails ripped out. Rika/Frederica lives a repeating nightmare and can't stop it. Keiichi used to shoot pellet guns at little girls for kicks... And there could very easilly be a lot more to many of these stories.

In episode 25, K1 admits to his past. Rika, Satoko and Mion all hint to also having things that they don't want to talk about of their own... but that what is important isn't what they've done in the past, but who they are now.

I don't think that it is manipulation at all. I think that everyone is just trying to be who they want to be. Satoko's traps and pranks are for fun; I think she really loves all of her friends and that her traps are a clumsy expression of that. Rika/Frederica too. In episode 15, she says that all she wants to do is live happily with her friends. She loves her friends and does not want to burden them with something she thinks they can't do anything about. Instead she likes being cute and brightening peoples' lives. The same goes for Rena, K1 and Mion too. They're just trying to live a happy life.
Old 2006-09-29, 13:55   Link #95
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer
Well, for one, I think Rika has two personalities "Furude Rika and Frederica are different".

In fact though, every one of the main characters is living a lie. They're all acting like everything is fine, when in fact they all have dark pasts. Rena had the baseball bat incident back at her old school. Satoko had her parents die (in fact, I think she's involved in that too) and then there's the thing with her brother which she blames herself for. Mion is deeply involved with the yakuza. At the very least we know that she had her sister's finger nails ripped out. Rika/Frederica lives a repeating nightmare and can't stop it. Keiichi used to shoot pellet guns at little girls for kicks... And there could very easilly be a lot more to many of these stories.
You have all these questions regarding other characters, but you don't ask them in the "Your Qs Answered" thread? Rena and her baseball bat incident at her former school is an excellent question. As with every other truths, that is just an "one-sided" explanation given by Oishi to Kei. Why not ask such questions in that thread? You'll get a different perspective on things when you hear it from both sides of the channel.
Old 2006-09-29, 16:41   Link #96
aliensporebomb

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb
You know I'm going to say Mion. But what clinched it was the episode where
Mion and Shion each had Keiichi by the arm and were sort of fighting over him
and Shion basically did her best to make Mi jealous and she went totally nuts
talking a mile a minute telling her friends to set the traps and do this and that
and it was HYSTERICAL the voice she used at that point. I also liked it when
Shion said "so should we have a contest to see who wins his favor" and she
absolutely freaked out.

Normally she's just a shy girl I suspect, she sometimes comes across as
a hardcase because of the position she is in but I suspect she longed for
normalcy.

Shion - too mental for me.

Rika - interesting. Of all the characters I could sit down and offer some
advice for changing some outcomes.

Satoko - the girl needs a vacation - the show just seemed to want to
kick her in the teeth.

Keiichi - the guy is reasonably cool but he's dumb for the first third of
the episodes and then in the end he wises up a bit. Oh well.
Old 2006-09-29, 17:17   Link #97
Shuin4
You faked all of it.

Rika.

I don't know why, but Tsumihoroboshi just made me not like Rena as much as I used to. You'd think it would, but I just thought Rena was acting really stupid after episode 24. I still think she's extremely interesting, but I just didn't really feel sympathy for her.

Shion is next. I really felt bad for her, and thought her arc was the best out of the series.

Keiichi got on my nerves in the question arcs, but he wasn't too bad I guess. But why the hell did his character seem to change so much in different arcs? Yeah yeah, I know he's the same person but he seemed to change so much.

Poor Satoko. I know her situation and all the hardships in her life, but I don't know. Her arc kinda sucked, to be honest and other than that, she never really did anything. Onikakushi and Watanagashi barely had her in it, Himatsubishi didn't even feature her, and she didn't really do anything other than give Keiichi the bat in Tsumihoroboshi.

Mion is the most mentally stable, but I thought she was kind of boring. She had everything, and didn't really have a terrible past or anything.
Old 2006-09-29, 22:30   Link #98
LostBlue
祭囃子

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliensporebomb
Satoko - the girl needs a vacation - the show just seemed to want to
kick her in the teeth.
With comments like this it makes me sad how terrible a job DEEN もといDEAN (-ε-)
did with Tatarigoroshi and the end of Meakashi. *sigh* (´Д`;)/ヽァ・・・

Satoko-chan *nade nade*

Anime-wise, I have to vote this way:
1) Mion
2) Keiichi
3) Rena
4) Rika
5) Satoko
6) Shion

Regardless, of the medium and the rules set here
01) Akasaka
02) Keiichi + Shion
04) Satoko + Rika
06) Mion + Akane + Kasai + Takanon *nekomimi* *hata hata*
10) Rena
11) Dr. Irie + Mr "What is your salary" man
ara ara unlucky number goes to mystery character あぅ あぅ あぅ
14) Oishi
15) Mu~, Satoshi
16) Tommy! the timestamp \(^^)/

then there's two not worth mentioning.
Old 2006-09-30, 02:00   Link #99
Garet Linegod

Personally for me, the order goes like this (regardless of anime or game):

1. Rena: She had always been at the top, neck-to-neck with Keiichi for me ever since I started on this series. But after Tsumihoroboshi her points propelled her all the way up as my favourite character for the series. If I'm to pick one of the characters from the series whom I can be close friends with, I wouldn't hesitate to pick Rena. Kaaii + cool detective + cunning killer + Renapan > all!

2. Keiichi: Whether as a main character or not, Keiichi had always been able to somehow make an influence throughout the different chapters of the story (良い影響悪い影響はともかく ), but I guess the main reason why he ranked so high in my list is because alot of his beliefs and attitude towards life is quite similar to what I hold personally. People who had played through Minagoroshi would also know that he's quite the leader type too. その説得力や行動力はお見事でした。「口先の魔術師」は伊達じゃないってことですね。

3.Mion/Rika: A tie. I couldn't really decide who I like more. Mion is probably the most innocent out of all the main characters in terms of her past, it was a shame that she had to be born in the Sonozaki family, and to carry the responsibility as the next leader even though she was clearly not the right choice. Rika on the other hand has my full sympathy for her situation. The description of her tragedy in Minagoroshi, despite its supernatural element, had been very realistic.

5. Satoko: Don't misunderstand. Placing her last out of all the members of the club by no way means that I don't like her. In fact in terms of adorableness alone I think she surpasses Rika and maybe even Rena. But I think given her age compared to the other 4 (take note that Rika is more than 100 years old), Satoko is unfortunately the one who had the least character development (Actually Mion didn't really get much too, but not as little as Satoko in terms of my opinion). But alas, I take my hat off for all the bravery she had shown to me.

6. Shion: What turned me off the most wasn't the series of murders she committed (I belong to one of those who understands at least partly of why she did what she did), but the way she committed them. Murder under the name of revenge, I can still tolerate due to what she had been through. But torture is another thing altogether, particularly in Satoko and Rika's case (we may not have seen how Rika was killed in Watanagashi, but it was gruesome enough for Rika to commit suicide in Meakashi).

As for the others, I think I'll just post the list here:

7. Ooishi: He may look cold on the outside, but I like his "always consider all possibilities" attitude and his dedication towards his duty.

8. Irie: Even if it's purely for his maid fetish lol.

9. あぅあぅあぅあぅ + Rika: You might wonder why Rika-chama is listed twice, but I just don't see things working without them being together.

10. くすくすくすくす (ROFL): Made to the top 10 for being able to make me hate a character so much in such a short time.

11. Akasaka: Oh my god, the first time I posted this I totally forgot about him. He was actually higher in the rank before, but dropped because of his uselessness despite the expectations I placed on him.

12. Tomitake: Poor guy, but his own stupidity brought him to it.

13. Satoshi: I think he would've made it higher in the rank if he had been developed more.
Old 2006-09-30, 03:07   Link #100
yakuri-moe

I like them all (I didn't like Satoko that much in onikakushi until I watched tatarogoroshi), but Honestly, Keiichi is my favourite. Why? because he always lose the games and most penalties involve cosplay.

Kill-me cutes (or why I like them all):

In manga version, watanagashi chapter 1 and 2, K1 cosplays maid and kitty-schoolgirl-swimsuit combination, and I just WANNA TAKE HIM HOME~~!! XD (I swear if there was another guy in Higurashi that I really liked I would pair him with him and make K1 uke) he's the most suitable for costumes, period.

Rika's mi's and nipa's kill me with their cuteness, I also want to take her home whenever she does that ^^

Mion and her "call me ojisan" make me want to hang out with her, she's feminine but not to the extreme, I think she would be a great heir for her family.

Satoko doesn't have much of a spotlight until tatarigoroshi, and damn does she shine there. Her strength to try to overcome things is, at her age, something admirable. (and the manga version shows lots of K1/satoko moments, it's freaking cute @_@)

Rena and her "omochi kaeri~" ooze cuteness (but not sick-cute), she's the cutest after K1!!!! And also she kicks so much ass, actually he can kick K1's ass since she's stronger (watanagashi manga ^^). Besides i like that kind of personality split "saint/badass" she has.

I know I said cute a lot.
Closed Thread