AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

Old 2007-01-14, 11:02   Link #1
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Mechs, Weapons, and Technology of Code Geass

As the title suggests, the purpose of this thread is to discuss the Mechs, Weapons, and Technology of Code Geass

Thread Guidelines

If required, please use spoiler tags (with appropriate titles) if your comments are based on the latest episode or raws (or any non-anime source).
[spoiler=title]Don't forget to use a title for the spoiler![/spoiler]

Please keep discussion about plot and storylines in the relevant Episode Discussion threads, not here.

Be polite to your fellow forum members and try and keep the discussion on topic and above all, enjoy.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-14, 11:16   Link #2
ImperialKnight

I'll kick this off to a start.

Lancelot

Weaponry
4x Rocket Anchors
2x Maser vibration swords
1x VARIS rifle with various ammunition
2x Light spinning shield (Dunno what else to calll it)

Equipment
Mountain slider equipment
Jet pack for aerial combat(Similar to the Jet Striker pack for the Windams)

Power Generator
Sakuradite generator which seems to increase in power whenever Suzuka pushes the machine to its limits.

7th Generation Prototype designed by Lloyd under the support of the 2nd Imperial Prince and part of the Special Envoy forces.

Not sure how the spinning shield works but it's not the same as those lightwave barriers used in Gundam.

The Rifle can be used to fire various rounds depending on Suzuka's preferences while the Maser swords can cut through anything but cannot stand up to Guren's radiation wave.

Last edited by ImperialKnight; 2007-01-14 at 11:26.
ImperialKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-14, 11:23   Link #3
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Hmmmm...good idea. Might as well, as a reminder, post what I (along with the other buddies, like Li Jianliang, there) wrote in the Wikipedia page (My SN is Soultaker7 there, btw):

Quote:
Introduction

First used during the invasion of Japan, the Knightmare Frames (ナイトメアフレーム, Naitomea Furēmu?) are mecha designed by the Britannia Empire, using self-propelled roller skate systems christened 'Landspinners' to achieve high mobility and speeds and gain superiority on modern battlefields. They are also equipped with a sophisticated 'Factsphere' open sensor camera on the head or torso to gather visual data. Their power source is also known as the Yggdrasil Drive and their later models now incorporate nuclei made of Sakuradite, a material now paramount in superconductivity technology.

Their main standard weapons are handheld rifles, shoulder or wrist-mounted Slash Harkens (wired rocket anchors), Stun Tonfas, lances and airburst hand grenades. The cockpit, which is set in the protruding 'hump back', can be ejected in case of emergency and is equipped with parachutes. Verbally, the name sounds like nightmare but in spelling, it refers to a knight's mare.

The current fleet of Britannian Knightmare Frames uses the Royal Panzer Infantry (RPI) model series designation.

Models

Lancelot (ランスロット, Ransurotto?) Series: Z-01 Height: 4.49m Weight: 6890kg

Weapons
- Slash Harken×2 (スラッシュハーケン×2, Surasshu Hāken×2?) (wired rocket anchors)
- MVS (Maser Vibration Sword (メーザー バイブレーション ソード, Mēzā Baiburēshon Sōdo?))
- VARIS (ヴァリス, Varisu?) (specialized particle rifle) (VARIS: Variable Ammunition Repulsion Impact Spitfire)

- Introduction:
An experimental, one of a kind, Knightmare Frame developed by Lloyd Asplund and the Military Engineering Corps. Being the first seventh generation Knightmare Frame ever fielded, the Lancelot far exceeds the capacity of other models thanks to the heavy amount of Sakuradite scattered throughout its frame as well as well as in its Yggdrasil Drive, the 'Coalminas' core. As a high-performance unit, the Lancelot features a large number of experimental and innovative devices not yet found on its predecessors. Unlike the older Knightmare Frames, the Lancelot features two retractable Factspheres affixed on its torso, two forearm-mounted beam shields, as well as two Slash Harkens on its wrists. Its backborne Maser Vibration Swords (MVS) can cut through any target thanks to their high oscillation ratio, while its VARIS specialized particle rifles can adapt to any type of situation thanks to its adjustable projectile repulsion output. However unlike other knightmare frames, the Lancelot lacks an ejection seat.

Glasgow (グラスゴー, Gurasugō?) Series: RPI-11 Height: 4.24m Weight: 7350kg
Weapons
- Slash Harken (スラッシュハーケン, Surasshuhāken?)
- Assault Rifles (アサルトライフル, Asarutoraifuru?)
- Tonfa (トンファー, Tonfā?)
- Stun Gun (スタンガン, Sutangan?)

- Introduction:

The Glasgow is a fourth-generation Knightmare Frame that has actively contributed to the invasion of Japan by proving overwhelming superiority over conventional, land combat vehicles. Its hull also served as a template for Knightmare Frame research and development for later models. Now considered as outdated, the Glasgow is being quickly replaced by the newer RPI-13 Sutherland, although the civilian Knightpolice and the Japanese resistance still use modified or updated models named Burais. The Glasgow's armament array include Slash Harkens (wired hooks), tonfas and a handheld assault rifle. Kallen uses one during episode 01 and 02 although it is ultimately damaged beyond repair.

Sutherland (サザーランド, Sazārando?) Series: RPI-13 Height: 4.39m Weight: 7480kg

Weapons
- Stun Tonfa (スタントンファ, Sutantonfā?)
- Stun Gun (スタンガン, Sutangan?)
- Chaos Bakurai (ケイオス爆雷, Keiosu Bakurai?, lit. Chaos depth charge)

- Introduction:
Currently the standard Knightmare Frame model for the Britannian Army, the Sutherland is a fifth-generation unit heavily based on the older RPI-11 Glasgow. It boasts improved mobility through a better application of the Landspinner systems as well as enhanced cockpit life support. It carries Stun Tonfas, Slash Harkens and handheld assault rifles.

Gloucester Cornelia Unit (グロースター・コーネリア機, Gurōsutā Kōneriaki?) Series: RPI-00/SC Height: 4.84m Weight: 7850kg

Weapons

- Introduction:
As a command unit, Princess Cornelia's customized Gloucester model features slight differences from the original model, namely two horn-like antenna arrays protruding from both sides of the headpiece.

Gloucester (グロースター, Gurōsutā?) Series: RPI-209 Height: 4.29m Weight:7750kg

Weapons
- Chaos Bakurai (ケイオス爆雷, Keiosu Bakurai?, lit. Chaos depth charge)

- Introduction:
Fifth-generation Knightmare Frame and actually a remodeled Sutherland focused on close combat. Featuring enhanced hand-to-hand capabilities, the Gloucester is exclusively used by Princess Cornelia's royal guards and is first seen piloted by Guilford and Darlton during the conquest of Area 18. The Gloucester, as a close combat unit, uses a large jousting lance, and to further represent a medieval knight's appearance, is occasionally draped in a cape. Although normal Gloucester models are painted blue, Cornelia's aides sport a red or purple color scheme instead.
Burai (無頼, Burai?) Series: Type-10R Height: 4.56m Weight: 7530kg

Weapons
- Protector (プロテクター, Purotekutā?)
- Introduction:
A remodeled version of the Glasgow manufactured by a group located in Kyoto and used by the Black Knights and the Japan Liberation Front. It is basically the same as a Glasgow, except for the head, which resembles the face of an oni (鬼, oni ?) with the addition of fang-like cheekbones and the presence of a torso-mounted machine gun for antipersonnel warfare. Its hands have also been refurbished so that they can guard, a feature totally exclusive to the Burai model and not to the original Glasgows. Lelouch pilots a customized head unit reserved, easily recognizable by its golden horns.

Burai Kai (無頼改, Burai Kai?) Series: Type-1R Height: 4.37m Weight: 7480kg

Weapons
- Protector (プロテクター, Purotekutā?)

- Introduction:
The Burai Kai is an optimized version of the Type-10R Burai, solely used by the General Toudou's Japanese Liberation Front as well as his group of subordinates, the Four Holy Swords. Its distinctive feature is the increase in length of its head antennas, which now extend to the back of the torso. The Burai Kai's performances in battle have proven to be equal to a Gloucester's - a Knightmare Frame a generation younger.

Guren Nishiki (紅蓮弐式, Guren Nishiki? lit. Crimson lotus type-02) Series: Type-02 Height: 4.51m Weight: 7510kg

Weapons
- Fukushahadō (輻射波動, Fukushahadō? lit. radiation surge)
- A short-barreled cannon embedded in its left forearm

- Introduction:
A Knightmare Frame model manufactured by Japan and built by a group located in Kyoto, the Guren Nishiki features a different take on Knightmare Frame development, resulting in obvious differences in design and appearance with its Britannian counterparts. Despite the few similarities, the Guren Nishiki is on par with a seventh generation Knightmare Frame, a fact that is a source of pride for its manufacturers. Although equipped with devastating weaponry, the Guren Nishiki is however considered a defensive unit lacking ranged weapons. Shortly after its delivery to Tokyo, the only existing unit is given to the Order of the Black Knights. Zero entrusted this one-of-a-kind unit to Kallen as a replacement for the Burai unit she lost during episode 09. The Guren Nishiki features a helm-like outgrowth surrounding the retractable head as well as a silver, large, clawed right hand that houses a radiation wave emitter in its palm. When in close combat, the Guren Nishiki is able to grab nearby enemies by extending its collapsible arm and disable them by unleashing short bursts of high-energy oscillations known as Fukushahadō (輻射波動, Fukushahadō? lit. radiation surge). This devastating weapon can overload an enemy Knightmare Frame with microwave-like energy and destroy it by literally frying its components. Contrarily to other Knightmare cockpits, the Guren Nishiki features an unconventional pilot seat, shaped in the form of a motorbike seat. Its other weapons include a handheld blade as well as a short-barreled cannon embedded in its left forearm.
Note that the numbers change from time to time according to magazine releases but I took the specs from the official website.
Old 2007-01-14, 11:25   Link #4
bond4154

Honestly speaking, like my feelings towards most Gundam mobile suits, I strongly disfavor prototype mobile suits. Call me biased, if you will, but I much prefer the Sutherlands used by the main forces of the Britannian Empire. They have missiles, assault rifles, and Slash Harkens, which really is enough to cause some uber-damage. (Some are even outfitted with bazookas instead of the assault rifle.) I honestly dislike Cornelia and Guilford's units, which have ridiculous spears; I honestly cannot think of how such heavy, cumbersome weapons could possibly have more combat effectiveness than the standard assault rifle, and not add more weight to the Knightmare to diminish control.

The OP2 to Code Geass made me smile when I saw Lancelot being launched from the catapult, SEED style. From now on, whenever Lancelot has those wings, I am calling it "Aile Lancelot". XD

Okay, seriously, though. I admit I'm rather biased against Lancelot (as I am with Gundam mobile suits...except for Freedom, Providence, and Strike Noir for my own personal reasons).
bond4154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-14, 14:42   Link #5
atilim
Knightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by bond4154 View Post
Honestly speaking, like my feelings towards most Gundam mobile suits, I strongly disfavor prototype mobile suits. Call me biased, if you will, but I much prefer the Sutherlands used by the main forces of the Britannian Empire. They have missiles, assault rifles, and Slash Harkens, which really is enough to cause some uber-damage. (Some are even outfitted with bazookas instead of the assault rifle.) I honestly dislike Cornelia and Guilford's units, which have ridiculous spears; I honestly cannot think of how such heavy, cumbersome weapons could possibly have more combat effectiveness than the standard assault rifle, and not add more weight to the Knightmare to diminish control.
Those spears are also normal weapons that could be used by other Knightmare's. You will see those at eps 5 I think when Curel treys to kill Orange-kun.
Knightmare's are like Zaku's, they can change there weaponry to which the pilot prefer.
atilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-14, 14:43   Link #6
The-Ghost
anime lurker

The Guren also has slash Harkens or something simaler to it located on the torso, look in Ep 13 when Kallen ties up cornellia.
Old 2007-01-14, 16:38   Link #7
slidingk1

Anyone have any pics or spec's on LuLu's new frame? Not the one that he keeps on getting whipped in but there was a bit about him getting a new super heavy frame somewhere can anyone expand on that?
slidingk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-14, 16:53   Link #8
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidingk1 View Post
Anyone have any pics or spec's on LuLu's new frame? Not the one that he keeps on getting whipped in but there was a bit about him getting a new super heavy frame somewhere can anyone expand on that?
The so-called 'Cromwell' Knightmare Frame weighing 8,000kg tidbit came from a blog/LJ that pretends to have an inside source in Sunrise. However, there is no official information concerning this and therefore there is no material lying around.

As such you should treat this hearsay (if it's not a deliberately faked piece of information) extremely carefully.

After all, we've already had similar - and worse - things during Gundam SEED Destiny, especially coming from blogs with no official backing.
Old 2007-01-15, 04:10   Link #9
slidingk1

That's sad news to hear that LuLu wont get a better mech to put orders in. In my view point it is just common sense that he should have a better mech just for saftey if not anything. I mean him getting his ass handed to him on a regular basis whenever he sees any other unit has to make him get the idea that umm I need something better.
slidingk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-15, 06:26   Link #10
Viperus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bond4154 View Post
The OP2 to Code Geass made me smile when I saw Lancelot being launched from the catapult, SEED style. From now on, whenever Lancelot has those wings, I am calling it "Aile Lancelot". XD

Okay, seriously, though. I admit I'm rather biased against Lancelot (as I am with Gundam mobile suits...except for Freedom, Providence, and Strike Noir for my own personal reasons).

Im gonna laugh so hard when Suzaku says "Aile Lancelot , hashin (i think that means launch)"
Viperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-09, 18:22   Link #11
VetaMega

Someone really oughta update wikipedia.
VetaMega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-10, 12:25   Link #12
Ikematsu
Ganbatte!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperus View Post
Im gonna laugh so hard when Suzaku says "Aile Lancelot , hashin (i think that means launch)"
Well, we already got the Sword Pack covered with the two swords on Lancelot's back
Ikematsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-10, 12:52   Link #13
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Don't forget the "rocket anchors" which Sword Strike also has.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-02, 15:49   Link #14
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Originally written by verity_isle on the Code Geass LiveJournal community.
Quote:
Originally Posted by verity_isle
The History of the Knightmare Frame

Part 1 – The First Age : Infancy

Like many history-changing inventions, the development of the Knightmare Frame has an exceedingly humble beginning. As everyone knows, the Knightmare Frame originated from the concept of 'Emergency Survival Cockpit'. The research was for a rocket motor-equipped cockpit block meant for tanks and the like. As its name suggests, this invention is made to quickly jettison important crew members out in an emergency. In searching for ways to increase survival ability, the researchers came up with the concept of attaching a pair of legs to the cockpit.

The 'walking cockpit' was thus researched, developed, and manufactured, and became what would lead into the future 'Knightmare Frames'. At that point, however, the energy filler loading capacity was limited, and it could not be used except in extreme emergencies. The 'cockpits with legs' of this time were later called classified as 'First Age Knightmare Frames'.

But why two legs? This was a problem of internal space. Fitting a cockpit block into conventional tanks required additional storage room for the legs, and this became a limitation. Because of this, the idea of more stable cockpits with four or more legs could not be implemented. One could say that from this two-leg limitation, the road towards the humanoid-shaped weapon called 'Knightmare Frame' was opened.

Part 2 – The Second Age : Turning Point

What brought the primitive First Age Frames closer to current models is the Second Age. At the time, clearance was given to 'develop a new kind of weapon that has never been seen before', and research went ahead. There were three definite developments :

1) Loading all-purpose manipulators for various work
2) Equipping Landspinners for large scale cavalrylike movement
3) Upgradinging sensor capabilities by introducing Factspheres.

However, the Second Age experiments also came to a halt in the trial phase.

For example, the Second Age landspinners were incapable of rapid starts and stops, often tumbling over in such tests. The manipulators also were incapable of delicate work, so much that they were better called 'magic hands'. It would not be until the Third and Fourth Ages that the technologies associated with the ascent of the Knightmare Frames were made practical.

Furthermore, the technologies that would later become the basis of Knightmare Frames were divided in two approaches. The Second Age's great strides could be attributed to a blend of both. One is based on the application of concepts normally found in military-based robotics studies. This approach has since been connected to the present Special Division within the Britannian army---the 'Special Dispatch Guidance System Division'.

The other approach is based on social welfare. Backed by the Ashford Foundation, which proactively supported technologies related to training/education and welfare, the research progressed. The bipedal weapon developed then was thus far named 'Knightmare' by the military, and the civilian welfare-minded equipment was called 'Frame'. By uniting the two terms, the name 'Knightmare Frame' was born.

Part 3 – The Third Age : Archetype

From the fruits of the Second Age's research to concrete combat-capable experiments, is the Third Age Knightmare Frame. It is with this Age that research began to prioritize technologies that allow enough mobility to realistically follow battle plans and practical retention of ordnance.

The model that best represents Third Age Knightmare Frames is widely known as the Ganymede, developed under the leadership of the Ashford Foundation. Its pilot was granted knighthood, and later became a Queen of the Britannian Emperor. (Note : The Japanese clearly states that she was 'one of his queens', to settle that debate once and for all) However, shortly after the death of said pilot, the Ashford Foundation's proposal began to fall into decline, causing the line of the inventor close to said foundation to be retired. Many have purported this incident to be a secret political feud regarding the new surge of interest in Knightmare Frames, to hold the expansion of the Ashford Foundation's power in check. The truth is regardless unknown.

Knightmare Frame research in the Third Age also decided the future strategic value of Sakuradite, as the Sakuradite-rich Coalminus has proved indispensible in bringing out maximum performance in the Frames. A stable source of Sakuradite and the new era of armies composed of Knightmare Frames became a subject not dissimiliar from the problem of the chicken and the egg. It was a closely watched integral element in every Britannian foreign and political policy after this point onwards.

The Third Age Knightmare Frames were no longer merely a technological discovery, but a political force. This would later become the origin of Knightmare Frames in a later age.

Part 4 – Fourth Age : Implementation

Knightmare Frame development in the Fourth Age owes heavily to the aforementioned Ganymede. As stated before, the Third Age defined the raison d'tre of Knightmare Frames as weapons of the new age. The Fourth simply grows into an implementation of that.

From the experiment data on the Ganymede and many trials and errors came the RPI-11 Glasgow. Proving its superiority in the Japan Occupation War, it heralded 'the Age of the Knightmare Frame' to the rest of the world. Even afterwards, the Glasgow remained a staple in various Britannian military engagements, and received many modifications and upgrades. All Knightmare Frames developed afterwards still continued to use the Glasgow as the base for development and divergence. The Knightpolice used in law enforcement and the Boatman for aquatic work, as well as the Japanese remodelings Burai, Burai-kai and Raikou are all part of this Fourth Age.

The strength of the Knightmare Frame is due in no small part to its two legs, which gives it all-terrain mobility. Thanks to the bipedal design, it is possible to conduct a sequence of military movements rapidly, such as beach disembarkation followed by taking over an urban district. This is made clear with the Knightmare Frame's dominance in the Japanese War, which was composed of highly complicated terrain.
Old 2007-03-03, 12:32   Link #15
VetaMega

Where's that from? Did people just make that up?
VetaMega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-03, 12:40   Link #16
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetaMega View Post
Where's that from? Did people just make that up?
It comes from the official site itself.
http://www.geass.jp/special_11.html
Just click on the arrow beneath to read the rest.
Old 2007-03-06, 13:31   Link #17
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Hey has anyone found the specs for Guwaine yet? Im really interested in whats under the hood.
Old 2007-03-07, 06:40   Link #18
Neovoid

Overall, their technology is pretty nice. If this series gets popular enough, I would love to see it premer in a future Super Robot Wars game.
Neovoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-07, 06:56   Link #19
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
Hey has anyone found the specs for Guwaine yet? Im really interested in whats under the hood.
It's G-a-w-a-i-n. Named after the Knight of the Round Table.

And, no, there hasn't been any specs page distributed around lately, aside from the usual, hard-to-miss information (hadron cannons, flight mode, etc). The official website hasn't been updated yet either...and even then IIRC it took some time (one or two weeks) for the Guren Nishiki entry to spring up (heck, even the Raikou -the giant railgun the JLF used during the hoteljack - took its time showing up). So don't expect detailed information to suddenly drop from the skies like instant, McDonalds-style manna.
Old 2007-03-08, 13:21   Link #20
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
It's G-a-w-a-i-n. Named after the Knight of the Round Table.

And, no, there hasn't been any specs page distributed around lately, aside from the usual, hard-to-miss information (hadron cannons, flight mode, etc). The official website hasn't been updated yet either...and even then IIRC it took some time (one or two weeks) for the Guren Nishiki entry to spring up (heck, even the Raikou -the giant railgun the JLF used during the hoteljack - took its time showing up). So don't expect detailed information to suddenly drop from the skies like instant, McDonalds-style manna.
yes i know info on mechs is sometimes hard to find, just figured someone might have found something hence me asking and yes i know who Gawain was just misspelled it. thanks for info anyway

Tags
mecha