AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Toradora!

Notices

View Poll Results: Vote for your favourite Toradora! character(s)
Takasu Ryuuji 113 55.67%
Aisaka Taiga 99 48.77%
Kushieda Minori 68 33.50%
Kawashima Ami 120 59.11%
Kitamura Yuusuke 15 7.39%
Kanou Sumire 48 23.65%
Koigakubo Yuri 18 8.87%
Takasu Yasuko 38 18.72%
Haruta Kouji & Noto Hisamitsu 13 6.40%
Inko 29 14.29%
Others (specify) 1 0.49%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-01-21, 12:49   Link #81
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

1 Sumire ( few screem time,, but she don't need much more...).
2 Ryuuji
3 Minori
Sorry Taiga, for now, you acted too much like a kid for my taste, maybe at the end of the serie...
Old 2009-01-22, 02:48   Link #82
Kyanme
suzuya_luvrx666

Send a message via AIM to Kyanme Send a message via MSN to Kyanme
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
I think she is nothing special too. In fact she can be rather annoying with her inability to at least converse properly with Katamura around. Even for a crush this is annoying overreaction. It should be something similar to how Ryuuji and Minorin converse, rather than looking like an imbecile 9 times out of ten 10.
It's a romantic comedy. Of course she's going to make an idiot of herself, it's for us to laugh at her expense. Aside from that, how many girls, people even, do you know who do not stumble over their words and generally make idiots of themselves in the presence of someone they like and view in a romantic light? It's more common than you think, honestly, for someone to be ridiculous in the prescence of someone they like.

Plus, how else is she supposed to act around him? He flat-out rejected Taiga when she confessed to him. It's fine you don't like her and find her annoying, opinions are wonderful things to have, but it's a little silly to scrutinize her behaviour like that... Especially because it's a romantic comedy, and Taiga's been virtually nothing but comedy so far.

That said, my personal favorites have to be Minori, Taiga and Ryuuji. Ami is attractive, but I don't particularly care for her.

...Oh and Inko-chan is win no matter how you look at her. YEAHH.
Old 2009-01-22, 17:43   Link #83
alu546
y prime

Send a message via AIM to alu546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyanme View Post
It's a romantic comedy. Of course she's going to make an idiot of herself, it's for us to laugh at her expense. Aside from that, how many girls, people even, do you know who do not stumble over their words and generally make idiots of themselves in the presence of someone they like and view in a romantic light? It's more common than you think, honestly, for someone to be ridiculous in the prescence of someone they like.

Plus, how else is she supposed to act around him? He flat-out rejected Taiga when she confessed to him. It's fine you don't like her and find her annoying, opinions are wonderful things to have, but it's a little silly to scrutinize her behaviour like that... Especially because it's a romantic comedy, and Taiga's been virtually nothing but comedy so far.

That said, my personal favorites have to be Minori, Taiga and Ryuuji. Ami is attractive, but I don't particularly care for her.

...Oh and Inko-chan is win no matter how you look at her. YEAHH.
Just responding to the part bolded about scrutinizing behavior in romantic comedies.

Just because its a romantic comedy doesnt mean a character can do whatever they want and everyone should still love them. There are other ways to be funny and still be well liked by the audience.

Also, I guess I should add that I expected to end up not liking Ami that much before she made her appearance(before I knew anything about her besides the opening) so I like her for other reasons besides being the hot chick. Not that you suggested that was why people like her, I just wanted to say that.

EDIT: Oh and yea, go Inko-chan.
Old 2009-01-22, 17:47   Link #84
typhonsentra

Taiga's one vote away from falling below 50% for the first time. I expected the numbers to stay fairly static but they've moved around quite a bit the past week.
Old 2009-01-22, 18:54   Link #85
Mephiles
~ The Dark ~

Rlly, i didn't enjoy characters like Taiga... they're not bad... but nothing exceptional too.

My fav Char are:

1.- Ami
2.- Minori
3.- Inko (It pwns) or maybe Ryuuji
Old 2009-01-22, 18:55   Link #86
Kyanme
suzuya_luvrx666

Send a message via AIM to Kyanme Send a message via MSN to Kyanme
Quote:
Originally Posted by alu546 View Post
Just responding to the part bolded about scrutinizing behavior in romantic comedies.

Just because its a romantic comedy doesnt mean a character can do whatever they want and everyone should still love them. There are other ways to be funny and still be well liked by the audience.

Also, I guess I should add that I expected to end up not liking Ami that much before she made her appearance(before I knew anything about her besides the opening) so I like her for other reasons besides being the hot chick. Not that you suggested that was why people like her, I just wanted to say that.

EDIT: Oh and yea, go Inko-chan.
"Like that" was supposed to refer to the obviously comedic moments she's in. I don't know where I said she has to be loved by everyone (though if you got that impression, I do apologize), I distinctly recall saying it's fine s/he dislikes Taiga. Not to sound defensive, but if I was trying to say everyone should love her... I think I'd have responded to the post above mine too. Taiga is very annoying and obnoxious, but it's why I like her character: I can relate to her.

But yes, you have a point, which is why I added the Kitamura bit. But I still believe Taiga's behaviour towards him is supposed to be comedic. Like you said, there are different ways to be funny, like how Ryuuji is kind of a neat freak, how Minori is a walking laugh herself, and how Taiga's a spazz around Kitamura.

Well, yes. Characters are more than pretty faces, and so is Ami, but to me, that's all she is... As in, that's all I like about her. She's pretty and that's all that appeals to me. But yeah, you have a very good point, she has her own qualities that make her an enjoyable character, but just not enjoyable for me. If that makes sense..?
Old 2009-01-22, 21:24   Link #87
alu546
y prime

Send a message via AIM to alu546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyanme View Post
"Like that" was supposed to refer to the obviously comedic moments she's in. I don't know where I said she has to be loved by everyone (though if you got that impression, I do apologize), I distinctly recall saying it's fine s/he dislikes Taiga. Not to sound defensive, but if I was trying to say everyone should love her... I think I'd have responded to the post above mine too. Taiga is very annoying and obnoxious, but it's why I like her character: I can relate to her.

But yes, you have a point, which is why I added the Kitamura bit. But I still believe Taiga's behaviour towards him is supposed to be comedic. Like you said, there are different ways to be funny, like how Ryuuji is kind of a neat freak, how Minori is a walking laugh herself, and how Taiga's a spazz around Kitamura.

Well, yes. Characters are more than pretty faces, and so is Ami, but to me, that's all she is... As in, that's all I like about her. She's pretty and that's all that appeals to me. But yeah, you have a very good point, she has her own qualities that make her an enjoyable character, but just not enjoyable for me. If that makes sense..?

I did get that impression, but its not a big deal now that youve explained it. Its very possible that I misunderstood ((havent reread yet). Im operating on about 4 hours of sleep though, so I imagine that has alot to do with it.

Everyone is free to like and dislike characters. I just dislike it when people refuse to acknoledge that other characters have their merits and blindly dislike a certain one. Of course yu didnt do that, quite the opposite. I try to recognize Taiga's appeal too.
Old 2009-01-24, 16:28   Link #88
Deadwings
Heaven's Nightmare

Sumire, Ami and Ryuuji.

Good to see ami leading the poll
Old 2009-01-28, 05:01   Link #89
ch0c0b0fr34k

edit by Mod: sentence removed. /end of edit.

=) Go Ami~ An actual original character not based on stereotypes.

Last edited by Pellissier; 2009-01-28 at 07:20. Reason: Please avoid flamable comments.
Old 2009-01-28, 09:52   Link #90
wistfulloner

I was hoping for Ryuji to be the most popular, but seeing Ami be the first to hit the 100 voter mark still brings me a smile.
Old 2009-01-28, 12:37   Link #91
Led_Zeppelin
Achilles Last Stand

Send a message via MSN to Led_Zeppelin
I love this characters...

But i keep with the protagonists (except yuusaku) and Ryuuji's mom...

Last edited by Led_Zeppelin; 2009-01-28 at 13:50.
Old 2009-01-28, 13:32   Link #92
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch0c0b0fr34k View Post
=) Go Ami~ An actual original character not based on stereotypes.
Subtle.

Personally, I find characters that are archetypical, and then expand outside of the archetype, far more interesting, literary-wise.

NOT using archetypes is difficult and creates for hard-to-develop characters.

Ami is fairly archetypical herself, in her own way.
Old 2009-01-28, 14:16   Link #93
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

People need to be reminded these characters do not stand on their own. They need each other to be as interesting as they are (extreme example, but rather like the Joker and the Batman needed each other).
Ami only becomes interesting when the rest of the characters force her out of her rut and to drop her shields. The more she interacts, she evolves into a more interesting and even attractive personality. Each character in the show goes through a similar process.
Old 2009-01-29, 01:09   Link #94
Proudleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
People need to be reminded these characters do not stand on their own. They need each other to be as interesting as they are (extreme example, but rather like the Joker and the Batman needed each other).
Ami only becomes interesting when the rest of the characters force her out of her rut and to drop her shields. The more she interacts, she evolves into a more interesting and even attractive personality. Each character in the show goes through a similar process.
Very true.

And as much as I like the ladies in this show, Ryuuji is just too awesome.
Old 2009-01-29, 11:07   Link #95
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Sumire, Ami, Taiga in that order
Old 2009-01-30, 23:45   Link #96
Ryu-kun
Dragon - Igniton
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Ryu-kun
Ryuji for his understanding and kind heart - Even though he is dense he tries his best for his friends.

Taiga - Although a big brat in the beginning up till now she shown alot of changes due to being with ryuji and how much its onto her now.

Minorin - Airhead but funny shes kind but just have sudden hyperness and she is very loyal and truely a best friend to Taiga.

Ami - The most mature of the group I suppose she can detect the object of the other 3 yet her other skills are most like Taiga herself (living alone , fast food etc) She cares for her friends in a different way.

Click siggy to join Toradora club~
Old 2009-01-31, 02:24   Link #97
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

Ami
Kanou
Milf
Teacher
Bird
Beavis and Butthead

funny how i don't really like the "main" characters..
Old 2009-01-31, 10:41   Link #98
Utau
Butler mitai~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Utau
Male:
Yuuji <-- seriously, who wouldn't?
Kitamura <-- God of Broken Hearts, you have my respect.

Female:
Ami <-- again, who wouldn't?
Minorin <-- there's something about her that..
Sumire <-- i'm leaving on a jet plane.. ♪
Yuri <-- hopelessly devoted.. to you~

Others:
Kihara and her other friend <-- actually i forgot to check others so yeah..
Old 2009-01-31, 11:13   Link #99
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
Looks like the voters really like Ami and Ryuuji eh. Keep it going guys! I love you all. 8P

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Old 2009-02-02, 08:00   Link #100
shinryou
--- semi-hikikomori ---

This is definatly without a doubt the hardest poll I had to do... grrr....

In the end I went for Taiga, Ryuuji and Ami.... I wanted to put minorin but I guess in late episodes I've gotten to like her less.... so yeah
Closed Thread