AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-04-11, 23:03   Link #81
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

Manga to anime conversions are ALWWAYS going to have high expectations on them, especially when they're top manga, such as Air Gear.

For me, i can handle small deviations from the manga, since the anime can not be as ecchi as the manga, nor can it follow the pace as much, so some discrepencies are going to occur.

However this is another Black Cat, they're using the characters and story lines, but mixing them all in a jumble, adding stuff thats not supposed to happen and loads of crap.

This hits the fans hard, and will drive alot of people away from the anime.

The anime isnt that bad per say, but if your a fan of the manga, and been following the manga, watching it is painful. I just watched the 2nd ep raw, and have decided its not worth carrying on getting, simply because it deviates to much from the manga. Those that havent read the manga can probably enjoy it, since they dont really have the high expectations, but those of that have read, and were hoping for an awsome anime, are gutted beyond belief
Tiamat's Disciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 23:56   Link #82
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
High expectations?

Well, Air Gear is not a very good manga to begin with, with almost zero plot, one-dimensional characters and the author's obsessions with extreme (or rather XTREME!!!!111eleven) sports.

What it had going for it was the style of character design and the level of complexity of each drawing. That's the reason why I am watching it.

I am not really worried about Air Gear's plot being messed with, primarily because the plot has been rather screwed up in the first place and it's not like TOEI ruined a work of genius. In other words, forget about the plot, enjoy the pretty pictures.

If you want "plot" and "character development", read Tenjou Tenge instead.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 00:31   Link #83
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet
High expectations?

Well, Air Gear is not a very good manga to begin with, with almost zero plot, one-dimensional characters and the author's obsessions with extreme (or rather XTREME!!!!111eleven) sports.

What it had going for it was the style of character design and the level of complexity of each drawing. That's the reason why I am watching it.

I am not really worried about Air Gear's plot being messed with, primarily because the plot has been rather screwed up in the first place and it's not like TOEI ruined a work of genius. In other words, forget about the plot, enjoy the pretty pictures.

If you want "plot" and "character development", read Tenjou Tenge instead.
Actually i preffer Air Gear of TT, ive never liked TT, trried to read on several ocassions and rarely get past vol 1.

Air Gear has a simple story line and is a good manga, not the best ive read, but still a good read with some comical moments. Each to their own style though, and just like TT disapointed alot when it became an anime, so now has AG. That said though its not really that big of a suprise. Over the past few years only 1 or 2 anime have actually been succesful manga to anime conversions. Most of them end up destroying the manga, AMG, Black Cat and now AG. Lesson is stick with the manga
Old 2006-04-12, 01:31   Link #84
Blue_Mercy
Veteran

While it's true that it seems they are cramming the storyline, I still wanna download it just to see if they animate some good parts from the manga. I hope they aren't rushing it this much to pack into a 13 episode series.
Blue_Mercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 03:36   Link #85
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet
High expectations?

I find this line hilarious. Yeah, so true. Air Gear is best enjoyed as a show you simply watch.

When it comes to the thought of "butchering" manga stories, the risks and returns from Air Gear aren't so big compared to something like Tenjou Tenge.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 07:48   Link #86
Boohahaha

Wow some people here are just way too critical. I may not have read the manga but I still managed to enjoy the first episode.

As with the manga and anime conversions, it is always the case so therefore I never expect it to be that good. Hence my dissapointment is less.
Boohahaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 13:40   Link #87
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Damn I hate that crow, ruining the perfectly good Simca fanservice in ep.2...
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 13:52   Link #88
phib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boohahaha
Wow some people here are just way too critical. I may not have read the manga but I still managed to enjoy the first episode.

As with the manga and anime conversions, it is always the case so therefore I never expect it to be that good. Hence my dissapointment is less.
We're not being too critical. Just read a few chapters of the manga, remember what happened in the anime, use your brain, and voila! THIS IS SHIT.
phib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 14:57   Link #89
Gryff
England ~_~

It seems to be mostly manga fans who hate it, if you take it for what it is it seems ok. I don't see any non-manga readers complaining.

Judging any series on its first episode is a huge mistake, some animes take 5-10 or even more eps to really get going.
Gryff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 15:02   Link #90
Chibi Nasu
Katsu~n wa Hyoutei

Send a message via AIM to Chibi Nasu Send a message via MSN to Chibi Nasu Send a message via Yahoo to Chibi Nasu
Meh, I didn't read the manga, and I'm on the lower side of the fence still. I'll stick around a couple of episodes just for Kamakari and KENN's voices, but probably won't have enough interest to watch past that.
Chibi Nasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 17:02   Link #91
Altharion
Pirate A

Send a message via MSN to Altharion
there are several series that has a great episode, some might have a slow start but you can pretty much see if its crap or not from the first couple of episodes.

The manga is truly better.
Altharion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 17:15   Link #92
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryff
It seems to be mostly manga fans who hate it, if you take it for what it is it seems ok. I don't see any non-manga readers complaining.

Judging any series on its first episode is a huge mistake, some animes take 5-10 or even more eps to really get going.
The problem here is its very difficult to put the manga out of mind when you watch shows like this, you cant help compare them.

It's why i think if your going to make an anime of a manga you should make it as close as possible to the manga, otherwise you stand to alienate a large portion of your viewrs, since a lot of the viewrs are going to be fans of the manga.

Would probably sell a ton more if they did that, as it is they're just going to lose money
Old 2006-04-12, 18:24   Link #93
Gryff
England ~_~

Why should shows be as close to the manga as possible?
If its a very story driven creation then sure you have to follow the story, if its more situational then its less important. Having not read this particular manga I can't say for sure.

I know what you mean though, a lot of Jdrama fans love the GTO live action, but I can't stand it because I saw the anime first and thought Onizukas character was far far superior in the manga and anime.

It shouldn't be any reason for non-manga viewers to dislike this particular series though should it ?
Gryff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 19:39   Link #94
tjalorak
Fax Caelestis

Hrm...

I've read some of the manga and watched the anime. Honestly, it doesn't even bother me anymore. You might as well consider the anime something that's roughly based on the manga but which has its own continuity and functions like an AU.

This discussion reminds me of some people's reaction to Troy the movie. Yeah, okay, it doesn't have the gods, Paris's role got jacked in a different direction, it's nowhere near the Illiad in terms of plot. So what? Either don't watch it or watch the thing for the fights. No need to spend five pages whining about it.
Old 2006-04-12, 21:47   Link #95
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryff
Why should shows be as close to the manga as possible?
If its a very story driven creation then sure you have to follow the story, if its more situational then its less important. Having not read this particular manga I can't say for sure.

I know what you mean though, a lot of Jdrama fans love the GTO live action, but I can't stand it because I saw the anime first and thought Onizukas character was far far superior in the manga and anime.

It shouldn't be any reason for non-manga viewers to dislike this particular series though should it ?
Not saying they should dislike it, but for those of us who love the manga, the anime is a huge disapointment. The story is all over the place and is really chaotic that im suprised they can string a3 scenes together hehe

People that havent read the manga can enjoy it because they dont have the images, feelings, and story already ingraved in their minds from the maga. It's like 2 artists going to pain, those who have read the manga have a canvas that has had something already drawn on, then erased. While the image is gone, the impression is ledt on the canvas. Those that havent read the maga have a clean unused canvas, thus no impressions left behind, to work on.
Old 2006-04-12, 22:34   Link #96
Boohahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taliesin
Not saying they should dislike it, but for those of us who love the manga, the anime is a huge disapointment. The story is all over the place and is really chaotic that im suprised they can string a3 scenes together hehe

People that havent read the manga can enjoy it because they dont have the images, feelings, and story already ingraved in their minds from the maga. It's like 2 artists going to pain, those who have read the manga have a canvas that has had something already drawn on, then erased. While the image is gone, the impression is ledt on the canvas. Those that havent read the maga have a clean unused canvas, thus no impressions left behind, to work on.
I wonder what would happen if the opposite was true if the series came out first before the manga, I wonder what would people's reaction be?

It is apparent that the producers know all about the end result of producing a series that is different to that of the manga. However, if the series was going to be so dissaponting as some us know from other manga to anime conversions, then why do they continue adopting this approach?

Obviously there are some benefits from adopting this approach, otherwise companies won't be shelving out money to produce these shows, whether it is gaining new audiences or for some other purpose you can be sure that they had a goal to achieve.
Boohahaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-13, 00:11   Link #97
ECFNW

Just watched the first episode and thought it was rather interesting.
It sorta reminded me of the old Jet Grind Radio game on Sega Dreamcast.
ECFNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-13, 05:24   Link #98
SinsI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonhex
Damn I hate that crow, ruining the perfectly good Simca fanservice in ep.2...
That's the main reason I've decided to stop watching the TV version and wait for DVD.
Come on, the best feature of Oh! Great is all that fanservice, and taking that out is one of the worst possible decisions they could've made.
SinsI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-13, 10:03   Link #99
Decel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinsI
That's the main reason I've decided to stop watching the TV version and wait for DVD.
Come on, the best feature of Oh! Great is all that fanservice, and taking that out is one of the worst possible decisions they could've made.
Didn't watch any of it yet but agreed, one shouldn't modify the selling point of a series.

Was very dissapointed by TT, and I don't have much expectation for AG.
Decel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-13, 23:21   Link #100
lavielove

Slapping the sticker on Ringo would have been better.She cares about ikki that much and didn't get enough credit =D By the way, is Ringo near-sighted or wear the spec just for fun ?
lavielove is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, ecchi