Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-07-16, 18:20   Link #41
chuckert
Registered Abuser

Send a message via AIM to chuckert
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoboGod
legal marijuana in Amsterdam, Netherlands. i'd say there. i don't smoke it, but the effects of it cause lower sperm count, paranoia, and overall calmness. It seems like a quiet place with very few children and/or random strangers wanting to bug me. ^_^

but, i'm not one to actually say what is the best because i've only lived here in the U.S. I'm not one to travel much, and i don't ussually associate myself with people that can't find peace in where they are.
I took a 3-day trip to Amsterdam about 2yrs ago when I use to work for Piedmont Airlines, and while I was on a tour, the guide said that marijuana is not actually 'legal' but highly tolerated. They do have coffee shops with the reefer plant painted on the window meaning most everything on the menu has marijuana in it. I even think the hot dog stands had reefer dogs, I may be mistaken though. I have to admit though I had alot of fun and it's a cool place, even though you had to pay money to use the restroom in most public places (even in a KFC). It's also very multiculteral there as well and everyone seems to get along just fine.
chuckert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-16, 18:39   Link #42
mantidor
the Iniquitous

Send a message via Yahoo to mantidor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun_Tze
(come on... in which country can you go from mountains to a huge plain in less that 1000 miles?)
here in Colombia .Besides Portugal have to be at the mercy of seasons, we dont have such a thing here, so we have any weather you want any time of the year.

Well, of course by being plainly patriotic and proud (thing I find stupid) I would say that my country is the best place to live, but we have our good share of problems. despite that, I love my country as much as I can and Im very happy to have been born here

Actually I read somewhere that the best country to live was Japan, I suppose it depends on how they measure such a complex thing, in the article I read it was put into the equation to calculate the living standard things like Infant mortality, death rates, birth rates, salaries and life expectancy among many others.
mantidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-16, 18:56   Link #43
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by raikage
Ha! Try San Francisco - the summers are about 60ºF/15ºC in summer, and about 60ºF/15ºC in the winter...
Unfortunately, I'm both quite fond of snow and varied seasons. One temperature all the time would be very boring for me.
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-16, 19:41   Link #44
Jonte
. . . . .

Send a message via ICQ to Jonte Send a message via MSN to Jonte
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthelostboy
Every1 knows the best palce to live is in a space colony on the moon!
The title was what the best contry on earth was the best :P
Jonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-16, 19:45   Link #45
Bullsquat
Strange Love

I think it all varies on the kind of environment people are most fond with. Although I've lived most of my life in the States, I don't consider it the best place to live. If we're talking about access to electronics, nightclubs and simply all the cool gadgets and hardware this advanced country has to offer, yeah its tops way up there. But there is no end to the bills I have to pay, the kind of crap I have to put up with from the people demanding these bills, bad traffic, and the bad attitude I get from people while in traffic.

I personally love Spain and my grandparents' home town in Sevilla. Even though I only visit like once a year, I feel a great deal of intimacy whenever I go back there.

Nevertheless, I still love my country because of what it has given me. I dunno how they did the ratings but agree that switzerland should at least be up there too.
Bullsquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-16, 19:47   Link #46
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

Iraq ... no competition there. That place is happenin!
Lexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-16, 19:48   Link #47
Sun_Tze
I pity the foo!

Send a message via MSN to Sun_Tze Send a message via Yahoo to Sun_Tze
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMan
Nothin against the UK (or europe in general), I wouldn't want to live there because i'm a video gamer, and the PAL version of games always comes out last. (PAL is the euro-region code)
Not always my friend, not always... the Silent Hill saga comes out first here in Europe.

*whispers to mantidor* Don't you guys have a slightly little problem with you know... rebels?
Sun_Tze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-16, 19:58   Link #48
mantidor
the Iniquitous

Send a message via Yahoo to mantidor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun_Tze
Not always my friend, not always... the Silent Hill saga comes out first here in Europe.

*whispers to mantidor* Don't you guys have a slightly little problem with you know... rebels?
eer, why do you tell me something I already know and that is actually adressed indirectly in my previous post? ¬_¬
mantidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-16, 23:46   Link #49
Moon The Cat
Hoi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoboGod
legal marijuana in Amsterdam, Netherlands. i'd say there. i don't smoke it, but the effects of it cause lower sperm count, paranoia, and overall calmness. It seems like a quiet place with very few children and/or random strangers wanting to bug me. ^_^

but, i'm not one to actually say what is the best because i've only lived here in the U.S. I'm not one to travel much, and i don't ussually associate myself with people that can't find peace in where they are.

"Capital of the free world" says my T-Shirt.
Moon The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-17, 00:47   Link #50
Thany
Unfair

For some reason, I have the feeling that 90% of the posts here are auto proclamation of your own country to be the best.
It was easy to know this would become like this
Personally I think Sweeden would be nice :P (and no I'm French).
Old 2004-07-17, 00:59   Link #51
Imazul

Id say Canada (of course im Canadian)

We have all advantage of an american society without most of the downside...
Imazul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-17, 02:23   Link #52
Dev Gun
The Yokohama Killer!

Send a message via AIM to Dev Gun
The best place to live? i'd say Sri Lanka,
civil war, tropical environment, it would be just like an anime

also, tied for first would be Canada, and Alaska, oh and japan, ppl seem nice there.
Dev Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-17, 02:32   Link #53
P-Virus
ナイトメア

best place it has to be Irak ...

Last edited by P-Virus; 2004-07-17 at 02:55.
P-Virus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-17, 02:53   Link #54
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsquat
I personally love Spain and my grandparents' home town in Sevilla. Even though I only visit like once a year, I feel a great deal of intimacy whenever I go back there.

Nevertheless, I still love my country because of what it has given me. I dunno how they did the ratings but agree that switzerland should at least be up there too.
Oh I stayed in Sevilla for a week or so when I was 14. It was a great experience. The only bad thing was that after I ate dinner there my first night, I think I must have accidentally had alcohol or something funky in my meal because I was incredibly out of it when walking back to the hotel. There was a big festival going on that night and people were parading in the streets. Someone threw an orange at me and it hit square on my left temple, bursting out fruity juices all over my head. But I didn't even realize I had been hit with an orange until about 30 seconds after it happened, I was that out of it that night. Moral of the story: please don't throw fruit at drunk foreign children in your home country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imazul
Id say Canada (of course im Canadian)

We have all advantage of an american society without most of the downside...
Exactly why I'm pro-Canada!
Roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-18, 14:18   Link #55
hobbs
nothing 2 do with calvin!

Send a message via AIM to hobbs Send a message via MSN to hobbs Send a message via Yahoo to hobbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMan
Nothin against the UK (or europe in general), I wouldn't want to live there because i'm a video gamer, and the PAL version of games always comes out last. (PAL is the euro-region code)
apart from now and then when we are lucky and get certain games randomly before you..like silent hill 3 for some reason we got first

but then again... we can import still import all your games, or just go to certain stores/markets and buy NSTC game.
hehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-Virus
best place it has to be Irak ...
is iraq. not irak
hobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-18, 15:01   Link #56
Shadowlord
~DESU

Actually, large amounts of snow in Canada is a common misconception. Unless you live in the Yukon and Northwest/Nunavit, there isnt that much snow (exceptions such as Montreal, Moncton, etc apply) In the winter, (at least in Vanvouver) snowy winters happen maybe once every 2-3 years. On the West cost, especially British Columbia, it more rain than anything. Also, we get very hot summers. It was 34C just a couple weeks ago, and in some parts of Canada, 40C. The average tempurature in the summer is about 25C, so its nice weather. WhenmI was younger, I hated Canada, I thought that The U.S. was the best place to live in the world. Now, I understand more of how the world works, and the social and political policies of the world. I am VERY proud to be Canadian, but I feel that Japan is the best place to live, at least for ME. Every country has things people like/dislike. But except for housing and prices, I can't think of anything I don't like about Japan. Canada is also fairly expensive to live in (British Columbia has a tax rate af 14.5% on all goods) So Japan, if I had Yen instead of Can dollars wouldn't be much different then here. I really am not interested in living in the U.S. now, I do like MOST Americans, but I hate the way their country is run, and who runs it. Vote for Democrats OR Republicans, they are basically the same with their policies and agendas. Note, I do hate SOME americans, those would be the ones with complete arragance towards people of other nations, thinking they are superior to all else (Nazi's) j/k LOL.

Anyway, B.C, in my opinion is the best place in all of Canada to live. There is incredible scenery, the people are EXTREMELY nice (thats what i've heard from many foreigners ive talked to at the various schools iv'e attended, and alot to do. I could go on, but I doubt there are many people interested in reading what I have already written. :P
Shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-18, 15:11   Link #57
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

Canada is a very nice place to live, in my opinion. I'd like to visit Australia, my sixth grade math teacher was an exchange from there (for the first half of the year) and he taught really well, made it fun (imagine...math being fun o.O). he used to talk a lot about it, and it sounds great, except for the areas that are very out of localized areas and the students have to be taught across radio (or so our english teacher said when he returned...sounds suspicious!)
ChibiDusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-18, 15:26   Link #58
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

The last couple posts reminded me of something. My dad has been working and living abroad all over Europe and parts of Africa, Asia, and the Middle East and he told me once that whenever anyone questions his nationality he tells them that he's Canadian because its more dangerous to be an American in foreign lands.
Old 2004-07-18, 16:23   Link #59
Banisher
Wannabe Magical Girl

So far, I've only lived in two countries (France and Denmark), as I don't think you can really evaluate the life when you're sightseeing. So I'd say Denmark, and Scandinavia in general is a very good place to live. You get a lot of money from the government when you're a student, and social security is pretty good. Of course, the taxes are quite high (25% on goods in DK), but since the salary follows, it's not really a bother (well, it's a pain for the exchange students, who don't get any money from Denmark, but still pay full price).

The best thing in Denmark is that people generally trust each other. When you go in a grocery store, they don't assume you will use your backpack to steal things. In the university, the "coffee machine" was a big container full of coffee, and a plastic box to put the money in. Anyone passing by can take a coffee for free, or even steal the money in the box. But no one to very few do this, so the system actually works. I talked about that with people from south Europe, and we all agreed on the fact that such things would get quickly abused in our respective countries. Beside, criminality and poverty is quit low.

I really considered staying there, but the langage was a big barrier to me (I tried learning danish, and it's anything but easy when your home langage is a latin one). So I just envy danes and people less lazy than me at learning langages.
Banisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-18, 16:40   Link #60
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banisher
The best thing in Denmark is that people generally trust each other. When you go in a grocery store, they don't assume you will use your backpack to steal things. In the university, the "coffee machine" was a big container full of coffee, and a plastic box to put the money in. Anyone passing by can take a coffee for free, or even steal the money in the box. But no one to very few do this, so the system actually works. I talked about that with people from south Europe, and we all agreed on the fact that such things would get quickly abused in our respective countries. Beside, criminality and poverty is quit low.
I think that's really cool. I love countries like that, it really shows that they have great citizens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banisher
I really considered staying there, but the langage was a big barrier to me (I tried learning danish, and it's anything but easy when your home langage is a latin one). So I just envy danes and people less lazy than me at learning langages.
I thought a danish was just a pastry