AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-06-15, 00:50   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 628 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

After OP took a break last week, the new chapter spoilers are finally here! As usual, credit for summary and translation goes to the T&A combo (heh, I made a funny ):

-Chapter title is "Cleaning Time".

-Over at the candy factory, the new merman pirates are still continuing their fumie (loyalty test) of queen Otohime. Meanwhile, Hody announces himself as the island's new king in his broadcast. He states that any residents of the islands who are sympathetic towards humans will be banished, and declares that he will execute king Neptune within three hours. He's also in possession of the petition, and says he'll kill anyone who signed it, one after the other. Finally, he relays a message to the Straw-Hats, saying that he'll execute Zoro, Usopp, and Brooke by waterboarding, which would make a good example out of a 400 million pirate.....

-At another part of the sea forest, Robin finally locates the poneglyph. However, she notices an oddity in that it seems to have been written like an apology letter, and is apparently signed by someone named "Joy Boy".....

-Meanwhile, Luffy is celebrating his bounty hike, but gets yelled at by Nami (heh). Both Shirahoshi and Luffy intend to go back to the palace, but both are stopped. Jinbei tells the rookie that he mustn't fight against Hody, and both Chopper and Franky ask if it's because they're human. Jinbei confirms their answer, stating that the conflict would engender more hatred from future generations of fish-folk. He says that he'll handle the situation himself, but Luffy objects, since he intends to rescue his crewmates. He dares Jinbei to stop him, which surprises the veteran fish-pirate. He then says that he has no choice, and it seems the two of them are ready to do battle......

Wowza, this is quite the chapter! So I guess Luffy vs. Jinbei was that "big twist" that was hinted a while back then (either that or the poneglyph, but the former is more likely). Honestly, I kinda wouldn't be surprised if Nami or Shirahoshi were to step in to stop the fight, but it would still be kinda cool to see how Luffy stacks up against the former Shichibukai after his 2 years of training......

BTW, I think the whole waterboarding execution thing is a pretty neat touch on Oda's part (what better way to torture enemies to death in an underwater island ? ). Also, it looks like no Mariejoa invasion was planned after all, which is a relief. Still, that poneglyph stuff is definitely the highlight of the chapter for me. Is "Joyboy" referring to another member of Roger's crew, or is that really the name of one of the original poneglyph messengers? Hmmm......

Well, now to wait for the full chapter's release!

Edit: Now that I think about it..... hey james, looks like your wish from the miscalculations thread may come true, after all.

Last edited by marvelB; 2011-06-15 at 01:07.
Old 2011-06-15, 01:10   Link #2
james0246

So Luffy has gotten his long awaited bounty increase. I guess they simply needed to confirm that he was alive...

As for Jinbei v. Luffy, while once upon a time I felt this was a must for Luffy, right now it feels very forced. I notice Jinbei doesn't doubt Luffy's strength in defeating Hody, but rather the emotional impact of such a defeat...then again, considering that Hody is committing genocide, does anyone really think the fishmen and fishwomen will really care who saves them? It takes hard core bigotry to refuse the hand that is trying to save you, and I haven't really seen that from the average fishperson. Still, I have to wonder just what Jinbei has been doing all this time if he is only just now attempting to correct this mistake. Couldn't Jinbei have taken down Hody before he captured the King and started killing innocent civilians? Whatever the case, the smart thing to do would be to team up, letting Luffy rescue his crew, while Jinbei deals with Hodi and friends.

That being said, the really interesting part so far is the new mystery of "Joy Boy"...
Old 2011-06-15, 01:11   Link #3
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Ah so Hody's plan is indeed a massacre. Though I can't say the waterboarding torture will work on Brook, considering he has no lungs.

The poneglyph that Robin found though is indeed the most interesting and mysterious part of this chapter though. Who is this "Joy Boy" person? What was he apologizing about? Who was he apologizing to?

Luffy's gonna take on Jimbei eh? Ironic that the first real fight Luffy's gonna have after this time skip is someone who he considers a friend. =O
Old 2011-06-15, 01:34   Link #4
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
As for Jinbei v. Luffy, while once upon a time I felt this was a must for Luffy, right now it feels very forced. I notice Jinbei doesn't doubt Luffy's strength in defeating Hody, but rather the emotional impact of such a defeat...then again, considering that Hody is committing genocide, does anyone really think the fishmen and fishwomen will really care who saves them? It takes hard core bigotry to refuse the hand that is trying to save you, and I haven't really seen that from the average fishperson. Still, I have to wonder just what Jinbei has been doing all this time if he is only just now attempting to correct this mistake. Couldn't Jinbei have taken down Hody before he captured the King and started killing innocent civilians? Whatever the case, the smart thing to do would be to team up, letting Luffy rescue his crew, while Jinbei deals with Hodi and friends.

In regards to this, couldn't it be that Jinbei may be wary of the possible puppetmaster that we've been speculating about a while back? I mean, we still don't know who supplied Hody's crew with those steroids, after all.......
Old 2011-06-15, 01:37   Link #5
valk0v

I think that the highlight of the chapter is Luffy's determination to save his crew - before the war arc Luffy would say - "they will be fine" and do nothing - but after his brother was killed, he has only his nakama.
I thing this is pretty big, the old childlike Luffy is gone
Old 2011-06-15, 01:55   Link #6
Amirali
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Amirali
Quote:
Still, I have to wonder just what Jinbei has been doing all this time if he is only just now attempting to correct this mistake. Couldn't Jinbei have taken down Hody before he captured the King and started killing innocent civilians?
Maybe he thought Hodi wouldn't go quite this far. Confronting Hodi earlier would definitely have sparked a major crisis /clash between supporting factions, and Jinbei probably wanted to minimize the amount of bloodshed necessary. In hindsight, it obviously looks a bad decision, but I can see why Jinbei wanted to keep the peace earlier, knowing what he did at the time.
Old 2011-06-15, 02:32   Link #7
Homura7

No offense, but Jinbe is an idiot.
Old 2011-06-15, 03:51   Link #8
Hisoka??
Ultra noob

Quote:
So Luffy has gotten his long awaited bounty increase. I guess they simply needed to confirm that he was alive...

That being said, the really interesting part so far is the new mystery of "Joy Boy"...
If jimbe had stepped on hodi earlier it would have looked like he was on the side of humans.
Old 2011-06-15, 03:55   Link #9
Homura7

Jinbe's logic is beyond dumb. He's basically telling Luffy and co. to sit around while he tries to convince Hodi to retract from his actions, all this knowing Hodi has JUST announced he's going to execute each and a every one of the inhabitants who simpatize with humans, or rather, have their names written in the paper sheets the kingdom has been collecting for years. And on top of that the lives of three of Luffy's crewmates are in danger.

Jinbe, I'm at disappoint.
Old 2011-06-15, 06:40   Link #10
marvelB

Pardon me for interrupting the "Jinbei is retarded" arguments, but a few pics have been released. Now, check out this awesome color spread:

Spoiler:

Wow.... looks like Oda's foreshadowing a few new techniques here. So it seems that Robin can make full-body clones now (WUT), Chopper has a new transformation that makes him look like some freaky basketball player (WUT), and..... Brooke can detach himself!? And hey, we even get to see Zoro with his bandanna again after such a long time!

Oh, and the scene with the captured Straw-Hats is hilarious. Aohige even translated the page (as well as the other spoiler pics, BTW):

Quote:
Usopp: Damn, the water is rising!! Do something, Zoro!!
Zoro: Alright, get this cuff off of me
Usopp: Cuff!! Release yourself!! ... sorry I don't have telekinesis
Brook: Hey! Hey! By the way, did you see the faces on those fishmen when I moved?

Brook (flashback): Yes, it's me! Dead and only bone left, Brook! Yohoho!
Fishmen: Gyaaaaaa!!
Zoro & Usopp: If you pretended to be dead, you could have freed us by now!!
Brook: Help!! They're going to kill me!

Brook: Oh wait, I'm already dead. Yohoho!
Zoro: Oh well, Nami got away right? They just need to get Luffy and others
Usopp: What if they dont' come!?

Usopp: Robin impersonation! "I wonder if Nami's been killed by deep sea fishes?"
Brook: Yohoho!! That's just like her!!

Golly, it's been a long time since we've seen Straw-Hat impressions (and it's not even Luffy doing it this time)!

So, uh..... recommence with the Jinbei bashing, I guess....?
Old 2011-06-15, 07:09   Link #11
Homura7

No way, it's time to say who do you think will fight who
Old 2011-06-15, 09:51   Link #12
Rainbowman

Review time:

Colourspread: The Strawhat crew are displaying new techniques that would make every nostalgia even more jealous than seeing the new looks.

Main Story: The poneglyph made by "Joy Boy" certainly is mysterious. The fight with Luffy vs. Jinbei is unexpected. Now that I think of it, Luffy's actions are more similar to Anikan Skywalker (both are reckless).
Old 2011-06-15, 10:11   Link #13
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

So it turns out they're just going to drown those three in a cage, that's not waterboarding. I loved Usopp's impression of Robin. That was pretty funny.

After reading the chapter though, it doesn't necessarily look like Jinbei's gonna fight Luffy. All he said was "I guess I have no choice" which could mean a number of things.

I liked Shirahoshi's sudden determination and courage to go after her father as soon as she saw he was in danger. It's not in her personality to do that so I thought it stood out.

Since Luffy asked Sanji to look after "weakling" (Shirahoshi) I have a feeling he may be the one to end up fighting Decken.

And the new colorspread is cool. I wonder if that's Chopper's new Heavy Point?
Old 2011-06-15, 10:17   Link #14
janipani

^ yeaa.. Sanji could teach Decken a lession or two about how to properly tread a lady. I'm expecting huge firely ass kicking.

-Best anime was made in 80s-
Old 2011-06-15, 11:14   Link #15
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Wow that was a pretty great chapter indeed.

First, I see that Oda hasn't lost his touch on Strawhats "dire situation" shenanigans, theres always a time and place for it and this was certainly a time and place for it.
And we even got a unlikely SH impression as well

So Luffy's bounty now sits at 400 mill, thought it should probably be a wee bit higher but at least it made the 100 mill jump.

The poneglyph part was interesting, Joy Boy sounds like someone outta Only Fools and Horses

Now will Luffy and Jinbei duke it out?

Not sure on that but I'll just go with yea, cause I simply want to see it.
Old 2011-06-15, 11:19   Link #16
yakumo-chan

I love one piece!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adan View Post
No offense, but Jinbe is an idiot.
jinbei is an idiot! a big fat idiot
Old 2011-06-15, 11:22   Link #17
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

i know since this is a shonan manga this will never happen but i wish luffy would grow up just a bit.

and since oda reminded us that it was hodi that shot otohime's assassin. i think it was hodi that was the real killer.
Old 2011-06-15, 11:27   Link #18
Homura7

Nami is going to fight Hodi, I'm sure of it.
Old 2011-06-15, 11:30   Link #19
janipani

^ If this were Naruto, someone would stop the fight happening by some stupid sob story of brotherhood, only to prevent anyone to see any "cool" character to loose, and so to maintain protagonist underdog status forever .

Oda is simply the best.

-Best anime was made in 80s-
Old 2011-06-15, 11:32   Link #20
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Finally the return of Robin . One page is better then none at all!