AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Fullmetal Alchemist

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-11-13, 20:20   Link #81
UserName

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaFlux
Why does everyone hate dubs?

I love 'em. Much easier than reading subtitles all the time. Occaisonally they're pretty rocky, but they've improved a LOT since anime started getting dubbed and major differences in how characters sound from the Japanese can usually be written off to some archetypes sounding different in different cultural media. IMO, Kenshin sounds a lot better in English than in his girly Japanese voice.

As for FMA, I liked the voices. Al's took a bit getting used to (having only read the manga, I visualized his voice as being deeper), but it seemed to be improving later-on in the episode. The first episode of any dub is always pretty rocky, but this one was decent and that's a very good sign. VAs get better and get into their roles later on in the series, and we'll see that happening here.
Hmm don't mean to insult anyone but...

A lot of people hate dubs due to the reason that they find the English lanugage 'lame'. They are the same people who would get a tatoo of Japanese characters because they think it simply looks 'cool'. So they'd prefer anything Japanese because it sounds 'cool'. They hate it when the characters name get americanized and if the voice is different(of course it's going to be different) they won't like it because they speak in english therefore making the characters 'lame'. Well I just ran into someone, or rather a few people who had that thought so I'd just thought I'd mention it... Others just like to see it in the original form(like me, though I prefer the dub if the dub doesn't change things too much).

Anyways, on the topic. I missed it last week due to the fact I had no idea when it was going to air, and I didn't even get to catch GITS on which I heard aired after it. I plan to watch it today though. But from what I saw from the trailer, well it wasn't bad at all. Al's voice can't get anymore annoying than his original voice anyways. It actually made me like FMA less.... and made me want him to die before FMA ended so there could be Al-free episodes...
Old 2004-11-14, 00:43   Link #82
dew

I generally stand up for the FMA dub, but Gluttony was terrible. Trisha was alright, we'll see how she takes Sloth. Lust was good.

Envy didn't speak in this one, right?
Old 2004-11-14, 03:34   Link #83
Eskay

No envy doesnt speak in the 2nd episode. Overall im disappointed (but not surprised) by the dubbing. But it was to be expected. Why? Not because it came from funimation (although their definatly not my favorite dub company). Its because it was rushed. They saw a money maker, bought it and dubbed it immediatly. The characters just lack the same emotion that you get with the japanese. For instance in the 2nd dub episode that aired tonight, at the end when they showed Trisha responding to ed and al as they approached her with one of their alchemy experiments. In the japanese version she seemed to show alot more interest in what they have done. But in the dub version the ethusiamsim (sp?) just isnt there. And the comediac parts that made this seriers funny at times just arent the same with the dub. While i laughed at the energitic japanese voice of ed whenever he got mad over his hieght, i barely cracked a grin when i listened to the dub version.

Anyways enough of my ranting, when the dvds come out i'll buy them but i definatly wont be re-watching it with the dub track.
Old 2004-11-14, 03:34   Link #84
Hiruka00

Well just got done watching teh second episode, and I have to say that Im liking it much more! I watched the first one twice and the second time around really grew on me
I do have to agree that Glotony sounded really wierd. Like he was a little more individual or something.....

Im a HUGE Hagaren fan and was a little worried about the dub version. But all in all, I have to say I really enjoyed it!
Old 2004-11-14, 16:08   Link #85
aionxn

ew the voices sound so weird...and its like..so noisy..
Old 2004-11-14, 16:11   Link #86
Komataguri
Reverend K-Rist

Send a message via AIM to Komataguri
This is one of the more tolerable dubs thats for sure.

The only voice I don't like is Al's.

its do..high pitched and whiney for my taste... It makes my bowels errupt with foul unmentionableness everytime I hear it.
Old 2004-11-14, 17:45   Link #87
mikeon

i saw episode 2 last night. I felt the dub was ok. Nothing in there that made me cringe, cept when the priest was talking about taboos, that just didn't seem right for some reason.
Old 2004-11-14, 18:08   Link #88
dew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komataguri
This is one of the more tolerable dubs thats for sure.

The only voice I don't like is Al's.

its do..high pitched and whiney for my taste... It makes my bowels errupt with foul unmentionableness everytime I hear it.
Al is a 10 year old who says nothing but "Nii-san! Nii-san!" in the original. It doesn't get much more high pitched and whiney than the ORIGINAL Al. The dub Al does a good job.
Old 2004-11-14, 20:13   Link #89
Komataguri
Reverend K-Rist

Send a message via AIM to Komataguri
Quote:
Originally Posted by dew
Al is a 10 year old who says nothing but "Nii-san! Nii-san!" in the original. It doesn't get much more high pitched and whiney than the ORIGINAL Al. The dub Al does a good job.

Your point?

Japanese Al was no where near as bowel erruptive as American Al.
Old 2004-11-15, 01:12   Link #90
Dev Gun
The Yokohama Killer!

Send a message via AIM to Dev Gun
OMFG LOL ROFL DUDe!
this is the worst dub ever!! MAn i just hate the english language dood, isnt japanese like so much better than english? why do they even make it in english, Japanese F-ing rocks! i wanna be Japanese! YEaaaa KONNICHIWA!

thats usually what ppl sound like when it comes to dubs.

i didnt see any problem with the dub, i just prefer it in japanese cause i saw it in japanese first, if i had seen it in english first, i would have liked in english more.

you guys already saw the entire series for Free, what are you complaining about?

and a side note, somebody said roze sounded like a slut. lol thats cause she IS one, haha we all saw her with that fatherless child at the end of the series, who was the daddy!?!!!!!! the world may never know, Roze, you slut, you disgust me. lol

oh yeah and i forgot, I think that the english version has more potential than the japanese version, because Edward sounds soo much better as Edward, instead of EdoWado. also, I think we all can agree taht Al is way better than Aroo.

now what i'm interested in is how the American audience will take to the possible Parrallel to the US/Middle East conflict in the series, now THAT is interesting

Last edited by Dev Gun; 2004-11-15 at 01:25.
Old 2004-11-15, 11:19   Link #91
nak
Squishy

Send a message via AIM to nak
I just saw episode 2 the other night. And they did bad with Gluttony. He went from cute and scary/creepy to just creepy. His voice is suppose to be high pitched and cute, and it was just husky sounding and deep. And I don't get as excited anymore watching Ed blow up and stuff, it felt like the VA just wasn't giving the best possible preformance that was required for such a BA character--the poise and awesome execution of the VAs just arent as great, sadly. Definitely buying the Japanese dvd. FUNimation has dissapointed me...yet again. Meh.
Old 2004-11-15, 12:11   Link #92
Akichan
Ichi wa zen, zen wa ichi

Send a message via AIM to Akichan
Unfortunately until February when the DVDs come out, all I've got are the clips, for now. I've heard the voices and I have to say I didn't mind Cornello or Roze's voice much. Al's however, is rather high pitched...then again, it was in the original too, so it's not too bad in the end.

Edward's I didn't like.

Then I thought about it and I wondered why I didn't like it. I noticed, not only was it the lines that sound very...americanized, but also other lines I've heard they're REALLY painting Edward in a more negative light then he was in the original. I think they've made him cockier (apparently that was possible) and colder then he was and I don't think I like that. Even just navigating the official website the way they describe the story, Al, and Ed in terms of characters, they're not painting Ed in a good light and I think the dialogue is reflecting that. They're letting Al play the innocent I guess.

The thing with FMA I like is that the good guys aren't all good, and the bad guys aren't all bad. This leads me to wonder whether that balance will be upset, with Scar and such. I'm quite curious and I do look forward to at least renting, if not buying the DVDs to watch the dub and try and figure out what I think of them.

But as to Ed's apparent problems, I think it has to do with the translation and interpretation of the character that's just...off compared to what most fans have seen or heard. Now Edward is supposed to evolve - a lot. I'm hoping Vic and the writers will convey this effectively.

As to a post before about adding jokes in, I'm not really sure that FMA is a series where I want to see that. While it has it's moments, in the begining and again with the gaiden episodes - the premisis and plot turn very dark. Overall you don't leave the anime laughing after every episode, and it doesn't end with happy feelings left in the viewer. Honestly I think that will be something difficult for Funi to convey.

And as to my thoughts about Funi, I must say I did like Fruit's Basket, for the dub. (as I hear many groaning and disagreeing) however, I dont' see Funimation as a company that does well with dubs and that apprehension seems to be coming back in terms of their interpretation of Edward (who is my favourite character). I'm partial to ADV for dubs myself (Saiyuki). They added jokes, but the series LENT itself to it. FMA doesn't quite do that so I don't know...seems like some things are causing apprehension in me and hopefully I'll get my hands on an actual episode or two soon to check it out.

Akichan
Old 2004-11-21, 05:52   Link #93
Fel
Clean up princess

Maybe I've forgotten (it has been a while), but did they not show the "mother" during the attempted resurrection?
If that is the case, why the hell are they editing these kinds of things out when these are the exact things that will win them viewers? Especially considering that the ratings will probably drop over the next dozen slow episodes.
Old 2004-11-21, 09:20   Link #94
Soconfused
Old God Member

Send a message via AIM to Soconfused
Acually, they did show the mother in the failed attempt. As far as I can tell, nothing has been edited out in the first 3 eps.

as for the dub, it's pretty solid exept for maybe Edwards voice, which i didn't really like. And I though gluttony sounded better in the dub. I like um better when he's just creepy. And I though Al's voice was pretty dead on, probably the best out of all of them. I don't know what the hell Komataguri is talking about.

but it all just comes down to what your use to. If you've been watching the subs, then of course your gonna think the dub isn't too great, because your not use to the english voices. If you'v never seen the subs, then the dubs with sound pretty perfect.
Old 2004-11-21, 11:03   Link #95
Kakashi-nindogs

Send a message via AIM to Kakashi-nindogs
i didnt like mustang's voice in this version. it seemed a bit off with his personality
Old 2004-11-21, 13:01   Link #96
Oneiropolos
Kuruizaki -Takamichi

Both Vic (Edward's VA) and Travis (Roy's VA) have come into chatrooms to speak with the fans about the Dub, and they're both incredibly enthused. This might slightly bias my opinion of their voice as... VAs who absolutely love the series and have seen it through before dubbing get major points. However, Vic said in the chat that from episode 3 on, everyone falls into their characters a bit better, and by episode 7 are awesome. So if you've only seen clips or the first two episodes, give them a few more to just settle. Roy's threw me off at first due to it's huskiness, but I stayed up to watch the dub one more time and the second time around, I completely loved his voice. It's different, yes, but I think it's going to be just fine. IMO, this is a fantastic dub as dubs go. I almost cried in last night's episode, but didn't in the original. The VAs are doing an awesome job of reflecting emotion (even Al's VA, who I was REALLY nervous about from the clips I saw, has grown on me).
Old 2004-11-21, 15:34   Link #97
Ansa

I have to laugh at the fact people said the VA is horrible, oviously you have never herd what some dubbing groups have done (Shinji for Eva, Any character from Rockman.EXE series, ect) Those you can call Horrible, FMA is very well done in my oppion, although they don't sound very much like the japanese voice actors the VA's do in my oppion at least show to the fact that they are the characters, they are diffrent from the jap verson however they do make it they're own.
Old 2004-11-24, 08:12   Link #98
HanG-BuiK-ZwijN
Saizen's laziest Member

i actualy have to agree with the "possitive" people over here, i saw the first three eps in dub and was actualy surprised by the "quality " it had.

iface it, the english language just sounds different then the japanese so you should judge the dub as an "other" version of the series.

the people who are just saying "i f*&^*&%^ hate dubs" should reconsider their "opinion" and be honest : is this dub THAT bad ? i think not.

(thumbs up for the dub cast and Gambattane in the future)
Old 2004-11-25, 03:18   Link #99
mikeon

I just gotta say though. The acting doesn't bother me much at all. If I had saw FMA in dub first, and never heard the japanese track, I would never have known the difference and thought it was ok. THe same thing for all other anime's i've seen on tv here in the States. I didn't think there was anything wrong with them, and I'm gonna assume that is the same for other casual viewers out there. They won't notice anything wrong and will come to love it.
Old 2004-11-25, 15:03   Link #100
EnergyRift

I must admit.. the dub is growing on me. Little by little, their little nuances slowly fit, and I can see it being a good dub. I would agree with most people, that we tend to match the actual pitch of the voice, and if it sounds really different it's unsuitable, but I think they are doing a good job at dubbing it. Sure it isn't like completely perfect, but there's more to go. I wish I heard Gluttony..
Closed Thread