AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-05-25, 01:38   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 626 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Time to get this show on the road! As has been the case for a while now, credit for the info goes to Mr. T and aohige, respectively:

-Title is "Three Neptune Brothers". The ministory takes place at the new dessert ship that's linked to the Baratie, the "Sister Anko". Seems that Patty is in charge of the new addition.....

-The paper that Otohime brings back to the island is revealed to be a petition supporting the notion of human-merfolk relations, which has signatures from the world nobles, surprisingly enough. The merfolk, overjoyed by the news, now support Otohime's stance and give out their signatures, as well (in fact, the support's so overwhelming that there's more signatures than the box can hold, heh). The queen's many years of hard work have finally begun to pay off.....

-It's revealed that there's a legend of a mermaid princess who's born once over the course of many centuries who can commune with sea kings, Shirahoshi being one of them, naturally. It's also revealed that there's a prophecy of an individual who will approach the princess and use her ability to change the world. However, depending on intent of said person, that change could lead to either the end of the world or the salvation of thousands of people. Otohime is concerned that her daughter's inability to control her power would lead to the sea kings going berserk, so she asks her other three sons to help protect their younger sibling.

-At some point, someone sets fire to the queen's petition. While the soldiers try to fix the damage, gunshots are heard. It's then revealed that Otohime was the one being shot! During the confusion, Decken manages to touch Shirahoshi. The dying queen then tells her sons not to seek vengeance for her sake, no matter who the perpetrator was. Shirahoshi, who was watching the scene unfold, nearly loses control of herself again, but two of her older brothers manage to calm her down. Fukaboshi vows to keep his mother's word as she passes away, and Shirahoshi that their dream to live under the real sun is almost a reality. The sibling then all lock their pinkies together and swear to keep their promise alive......

Well james, it looks like you got your wish after all.... I hope you're happy about that. As for who Otohime's killer was, apparently T couldn't tell who it was, so we'd have to wait until the pics/full chapter comes out to see for ourselves......

But hoo boy, the "Shira for Straw-Hat" supporters have a pretty damn good ace on their side, now. I still see no way she'd join myself, but Oda's definitely building her up to be quite the important character. Guess we gotta wait and see how much more her character will develop......
Old 2011-05-25, 01:44   Link #2
james0246

Ding dong, the queen is dead (is there an emoticon for an evil grin?).

Hopefully this means we will get back to the present next chapter. I have to say, this is the most mature we've ever seen Luffy (well not see per se). I could never imagine him sitting down to hear all of this back-story before the 2 year training...unless it is revealed next chapter that he fell asleep during Jinbei's story .
Old 2011-05-25, 01:56   Link #3
marvelB

BTW, before people start going all "ZOMG couldn't she dodge bullets with haki???", I'd like to point out that she would have been (understandably) too distracted by her freaking life's work being destroyed to properly focus herself on dodging bullets like she did with that one hoodlum. Being a haki user doesn't quite make anyone perfect, after all.....

Edit: heh, aohige brought up something interesting:

Quote:
Someone in 2ch brought up a good point.

If Shirahoshi learns how to use her power properly, the "force to intimidate pirates from invading FI" that Whitebeard had would be replaced very well.
I mean seriously.

No sane sailor, Marine or Pirates, would mess with an island with a Queen who can command army of Sea Kings.
That's far more powerful stopping power than what Luffy or Jinbe's name could ever have.

I agree wholeheartedly with this theory. A mermaid who can control island-devouring sea monsters would actually be a better choice for the island's guardian than a pirate who has to be bribed with candy. Though, with that being said, it would be interesting how the Big Mom situation would be handled if Oda went down that route.......

Last edited by marvelB; 2011-05-25 at 02:06.
Old 2011-05-25, 02:16   Link #4
Rahan

The Straw Hat will handle Big Mom one way or another on their way. Shanks probably won't fight the SH, but the other 2 yonkous are guaranteed to do so.
Shirahoshi is a better option on the long run.

This might be the beginning of the setup of the Big Mom arc. It looks like the shooter's identity was hidden, so it's probably not one of the current villains. There are not many possibilities. Traitorous fishman (Aladin ?), man working for the Tenryuubito or Big Mom trying to make an early move on the island.
Old 2011-05-25, 02:43   Link #5
Homura7

But the island will be destroyed by Luffy, right? So the future clash with Big Mom is pretty much guaranteed.
Old 2011-05-25, 02:57   Link #6
SOGESNAKE
NEW WORLD BABY~!

Send a message via MSN to SOGESNAKE
Well, I wonder how everybody's opinion of Arlong would change if it turned out he was the one who shot her~

My guess is that it was a young Hodi that started the fire though.... though, I guess Oda can always pull the "Hodi shot her" thing too... = 3 =
Old 2011-05-25, 04:28   Link #7
Crimson Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
-It's revealed that there's a legend of a mermaid princess who's born once over the course of many centuries who can commune with sea kings. It's also revealed that there's a prophecy of an individual who will approach the princess and use her ability to change the world. However, depending on intent of said person, that change could lead to either the end of the world or the salvation of thousands of people.
Boy is that isn't linked to the whole 'Luffy destroys Fishman Island' I don't know what is. But assuming it is actually Luffy in the vision of the future, then maybe he has this crazy idea of having the Sea Kings bring the whole island up to the surface, thus 'destroying' the whole fishman island way of life. Who knows.
Old 2011-05-25, 05:38   Link #8
Hisoka??
Ultra noob

Quote:
BTW, before people start going all "ZOMG couldn't she dodge bullets with haki???", I'd like to point out that she would have been (understandably) too distracted by her freaking life's work being destroyed to properly focus herself on dodging bullets like she did with that one hoodlum. Being a haki user doesn't quite make anyone perfect, after all.....

Edit: heh, aohige brought up something interesting:

I agree wholeheartedly with this theory. A mermaid who can control island-devouring sea monsters would actually be a better choice for the island's guardian than a pirate who has to be bribed with candy. Though, with that being said, it would be interesting how the Big Mom situation would be handled if Oda went down that route.......
I haki user that can make the seakings pass out probably won't be affected though, so they will still need protection. But maybe, overall with the addition, they can show a credible enough force to stop pple.
Old 2011-05-25, 09:08   Link #9
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
While the average pirate/marine would be deterred from creating problems, sea kings are inconsequential to the top tiers. Rayleigh swam through the Calm Belt despite the numerous sea kings lurking about. Now, it's true that these powerhouses are in the minority, but the point remains that the "security" can still be breached.
Old 2011-05-25, 09:15   Link #10
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
While the average pirate/marine would be deterred from creating problems, sea kings are inconsequential to the top tiers. Rayleigh swam through the Calm Belt despite the numerous sea kings lurking about. Now, it's true that these powerhouses are in the minority, but the point remains that the "security" can still be breached.
Additionally, the WG has developed technology that makes the Sea Kings ignore the WG ships. So, this power isn't really that useful (in fact, it's more tyrannical than anything else...much the same as Enel being able to call down lightning on anyone that disagreed with him, Shirahoshi would have the ability to control the populace through sheer fear (who would disobey the leader that controls everything?)).

Personally, I like Crimson Reaper's idea that Shirahoshi and Luffy will use the power to raise Fishman Island from the depth of the ocean to a position of true equality with the rest of the world.
Old 2011-05-25, 09:44   Link #11
ChaosPaladin
Bringer of Order & Chaos

dun know why but JFK assassination suddenly come to my mind when orihime got shot. this chapter is pretty good! now we know how orihime got cursed
Old 2011-05-25, 11:00   Link #12
james0246

The Van Decken sections of this weeks chapter were hysterical. Btw, just what is Van Decken anyway?

That being said, the princes were great this chapter. Their attempt to stave off Shirahoshi's destructive power was quite an emotional moment that greatly added to Otohim's death. Still, I have to wonder if Jinbei, who presumably is telling all of this to Luffy and company, is currently telling Shirahoshi she has the power to destroy the island, or if Otohime's words are for the audience only... Hopefully we'll know next chapter...
Old 2011-05-25, 11:11   Link #13
Amirali
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Amirali
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
I partially agree. But again, it might be as simple as Rayleigh usnig his haki to keep them away from preying on him for lunch. We did see a vice-admiral take down a sea-king without much trouble. But we've also seen a sea-king take off shanks's arm. If a coordinated army of sea-kings were to attack, I think they could cause even the top tiers serious trouble. All they have to do is take down the ships (not the marines themselves). After that,devil fruit users lose any hope in the water, and the rest like shanks/Rayleigh might struggle against multiple attacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Additionally, the WG has developed technology that makes the Sea Kings ignore the WG ships. So, this power isn't really that useful
The technology protects the ships from the predators' natural instincts. Whether it would stop a direct order by Shirahoshi to attack or patrol for ships is unknown.
Old 2011-05-25, 11:15   Link #14
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amirali View Post
The technology protects the ships from the predators' natural instincts. Whether it would stop a direct order by Shirahoshi to attack or patrol for ships is unknown.
It doesn't matter if it can't counteract against a direct order. All the WG needs to do is get an Admiral down to Fishman Island (on a small ship protected with their anti-Sea King technology), and the fight is over.
Old 2011-05-25, 11:27   Link #15
yakumo-chan

this chapter makes me cry...

the thing about anti sea king?

I think shirahoshi's power can overcome it.
As long as its an order, sea kings will ignore the anti sea king technology

as far as I can see,
this anti sea king technology are only meant to scare the sea kings, more like a scare crow or something
Old 2011-05-25, 11:30   Link #16
Rainbowman

Just in time for the early review:

Ministory: Never actually expected there to be a dessert restaurant to be close to the Baratie. Next week will feature Nojiko and Genzo for sure.

Main Story: I'm surprised that the World Nobles agreed to sign those petitions. The sad news in this chapter: Queen Otohime dies much to the sadistic pleasure of james0246. I swear james0246 you're as sadistic as Rhoda "Bad Seed" Penmark.
Old 2011-05-25, 11:35   Link #17
yakumo-chan

I wonder if one of the three prince will join the straw hat crew..

I like merman better than mermaid to join the crew
Old 2011-05-25, 11:38   Link #18
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowman View Post
Just in time for the early review:

Ministory: Never actually expected there to be a dessert restaurant to be close to the Baratie. Next week will feature Nojiko and Genzo for sure.

Main Story: I'm surprised that the World Nobles agreed to sign those petitions. The sad news in this chapter: Queen Otohime dies much to the sadistic pleasure of james0246. I swear james0246 you're as sadistic as Rhoda "Bad Seed" Penmark.
Could be Oda setting up the WN to be a more complicate fraction then previously shown.
Old 2011-05-25, 12:24   Link #19
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
It doesn't matter if it can't counteract against a direct order. All the WG needs to do is get an Admiral down to Fishman Island (on a small ship protected with their anti-Sea King technology), and the fight is over.
As far as I recall the sea stone stuff is only used as an coating on the underside, sea kings don't notice the ships from below but once they surface they see them as any normal ship.
Just like when that Vice admiral went to meet Boa.
I have a hard time seeing them coat a whole ship in sea stone for underwater trips.
Does sea stone emit a buuble effect that would surround the ship?
Does it
A sea king swimming from above the ship happens to look down and sees the crew, what do you think happens next?
Even if you a Admiral on board, I have my doubts they could handle a organized group of sea kings especially underwater.
Taking out the odd sea king here or there is totally different from a group determined to take you out.

Control of the sea kings is a massive deterrent, even for the WG.

Entry into FI would be difficult as well, unless they had ships like the Sunny which could pass through the Bubble instead of going through the main gate.

Sure it's not a 100% thing but it's just as good as WB's name, if not better.

Good chapter, had me welling up inside
The brothers trying to clam Shirahoshi really added to scene of Otohime's death.
Oda nailed that pretty well.

So question is, will it be Van Decken or Luffy that will be the "individual who will approach the princess and use her ability to change the world."
Old 2011-05-25, 12:27   Link #20
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
Ding dong, the queen is dead (is there an emoticon for an evil grin?).
Evil because of the circumstances ->
But I say, not dead until the funeral! Savor this week of near-death...anyways, touching chapter, after aaaaall that work, -someone- decided to essentially destroy any chance the fishmen had of a better life, and to what end? Touching a girl Looking forward to returning to the present time now, I think that with this chapter, this mini-story has served its purpose.
Closed Thread