AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Kagaku no Railgun

Notices

View Poll Results: To Aru Kagaku no Railgun - Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 6 7.79%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 16 20.78%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 21 27.27%
7 out of 10 : Good 21 27.27%
6 out of 10 : Average 6 7.79%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 2.60%
4 out of 10 : Poor 3 3.90%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.30%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.30%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-11-05, 16:48   Link #141
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildArms View Post
will this have 12 episodes o.o?
The DVDs seem to be implying 24. (Thus, not 26...)
Old 2009-11-06, 00:00   Link #142
Cyrus17
Impostor Cutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
Oh yes that reminds me. Kuroko seems to speak Japanese a little differently from the rest of them. Is it some kind of dialect? I know it's not kansai-ben, but still it sounds different. The sentence endings are different for one.

I might be wrong and that it's all an artefact of her VA. Does anyone know?
Think of it as "refined high class lady"-speak, though taken to slightly ridiculous levels by the way Kuroro's voice actress speaks her lines.
Regarding Kuroko's special manner of speech - it happened by some weird coincidence that I stumbled on this article on wiki just today -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heteroglossia

Guess Railgun authors learned their lesson properly ^^

Anyway, nice article, definitely worth to read. Excerpts:
  • the power of the novel originates in the coexistence of, and conflict between, different types of speech: the speech of characters, the speech of narrators, and even the speech of the author.

• Any language, in Bakhtin's view, stratifies into many voices: "social dialects, characteristic group behavior, professional jargons, generic languages, languages of generations and age groups, tendentious languages, languages of the authorities, of various circles and of passing fashions." This diversity of voice is, Bakhtin asserts, the defining characteristic of the novel as a genre.

• Bakhtin proposes that all languages represent a distinct point of view on the world, characterized by its own meaning and values. In this view, language is "shot through with intentions and accents," and thus there are no neutral words. Even the most unremarkable statement possesses a taste, whether of a profession, a party, a generation, a place or a time. To Bakhtin, words do not exist until they are spoken, and that moment they are printed with the signature of the speaker.
Black Seppuku Bunny:
- Want us to help you?
Harakiri Tiger:
- We'd be happy to take a piece.
Natsuru:
- Can you even digest it with your guts hanging out like that?

Last edited by Cyrus17; 2009-11-06 at 00:01. Reason: guess why...
Cyrus17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-06, 14:16   Link #143
WildArms
Come on, become a legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
The DVDs seem to be implying 24. (Thus, not 26...)
Woa... 2 episodes... that is such a big range until 26.... *sarcasm*
WildArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-08, 00:36   Link #144
Ansalem
Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
Oh yes that reminds me. Kuroko seems to speak Japanese a little differently from the rest of them. Is it some kind of dialect? I know it's not kansai-ben, but still it sounds different. The sentence endings are different for one.

I might be wrong and that it's all an artefact of her VA. Does anyone know?
I believe you are referring to her habit of ending every setence in ますの (masuno)/ ですの (desuno).

In general, Kuroko speaks in a more polite fashion than is normal for the relationships of the people with whom she is speaking. I don't know how you know about Japanese, but there are basically three levels of politeness: short-form, teinei (masu/desu-form), and keigo+humble. Kuroku pretty much never uses short-form, with which you would generally speak to friends and family, using instead more formal language.

Nodesu/ndesu/no/nda is a sentence-ending grammatical form with a variety of implications, such as showing explanation and giving emotional emphasis. Kuroku makes excessive use of this grammatical form, specifically "no." No is a variety of ndesu usually used by women (and children) when speaking casually, added to the end of short-form. However, when speaking in teinei as Kuroko usually does, it is normal to use short-form + ndesu. This is both polite and neutral. She instead adds no to the end of masu/desu, which is very unusual for a normal person. (and drives me crazy listening to her) As someone suggested, this may give her a lady-like quality to her speech I guess, since no is mainly a female-ending. She also uses the sentence-ending particle wa, which is also feminine and not irregular, but not as often as she says nantoka desuno, nantoka shimasuno.

So in summary, her speech is polite, feminine, and very weird for a high school student.

Last edited by Ansalem; 2009-11-08 at 00:55.
Ansalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-08, 04:02   Link #145
Cyrus17
Impostor Cutie

Wow, thanks for the great info, Ansalem!
Black Seppuku Bunny:
- Want us to help you?
Harakiri Tiger:
- We'd be happy to take a piece.
Natsuru:
- Can you even digest it with your guts hanging out like that?
Cyrus17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-08, 05:31   Link #146
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

I was definitely enlightened. It's neat touches like this that add to a character.
Old 2009-11-08, 15:22   Link #147
Yufankun

Kuroko's use of keigo seems to be derived from the fact that she goes to an ojou-sama school, tokiwadai, meaning she basicly is a rich "high-class" girl, so her speech pattern is meant to reflect that. It's part of the whole ojou-sama image that Uiharu has such a fetisch for. In the first couple of episodes we get to hear other tokiwadai students speaking and they also use keigo. In fact, the only tokiwadai student I can think of that doesn't follow this speech-pattern is Mikoto who speaks more like a normal student would.

Also, Kuroko's (over)use of no at the end of most of her sentences seems to be a personal quirk of hers. Adding the same particle at the end of most sentences is fairly common in characters that are meant to be cute/funny.
Yufankun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-08, 15:43   Link #148
Ansalem
Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yufankun View Post
Kuroko's use of keigo seems to be derived from the fact that she goes to an ojou-sama school, tokiwadai, meaning she basicly is a rich "high-class" girl, so her speech pattern is meant to reflect that. It's part of the whole ojou-sama image that Uiharu has such a fetisch for. In the first couple of episodes we get to hear other tokiwadai students speaking and they also use keigo. In fact, the only tokiwadai student I can think of that doesn't follow this speech-pattern is Mikoto who speaks more like a normal student would.
I hadn't really payed that much attention to the speech of other random girls from their schools, so that would make sense.
Ansalem is offline   Reply With Quote