AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2013-03-15, 14:48   Link #4201
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampDream View Post
I was expecting better matches too.
so Barcelona and Real Madrid only can meet in the finals?
There will be another draw for the semi finals so in theory all winners can meet each other.

Still, I agree that Real and Barca won't likely meet. UEFA certainly wouldn't like one Spanish and one German semi-final. That would be bad for TV-ratings.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-15, 15:19   Link #4202
Blaat

Besides having eight el classico's in a single season is a bit over the top.
Old 2013-03-15, 21:56   Link #4203
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

Looks like we drew quite the tough opponent

Bayern might have not been brilliant in the last match but they're still a fully experienced CL team. Scoring a goal or two in the first leg in Munich is going to be crucial for us. IMO our midfield is on par if not slightly better than Bayern's, and our defence should be sound... but I suspect Conte will play again with the two support strikers, a tactic that despite having worked well so far in terms of making our play flow correctly and efficiently, it might not work against the Germans unless Giovinco grows some balls and steps his game up once and for all.
Shinndou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-16, 16:58   Link #4204
ChampDream
Alive

meanwhile at Manchester,
Old 2013-03-16, 18:57   Link #4205
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
meanwhile at Manchester,

It was a great performance by Everton today.
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-16, 22:26   Link #4206
Azuma Denton
~AD~

And Gervinho finally scores after 15 games...
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-16, 22:40   Link #4207
RapidPotential
Spinning round and round~

It was a chance that was too easy to miss. Had he missed, we'd be calling for his forehead, really.
RapidPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 15:12   Link #4208
ChampDream
Alive

so what you guys think of this
http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/198710.html#
Old 2013-03-21, 15:44   Link #4209
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
This is a very serious accusation indeed. However considering everything extremely fishy that I have seen from UEFA in the last 5 years or so since Platini brought his butt in, I am enclined to believe the accusation and I believe they are currently doing everything they can to pit the 2 Spanish giants in the final.

After all, why are Juventus and Bayern set to kill each other in the quarterfinals while both Real and Barcelona got easier draws in the lot? Food for thought...
Old 2013-03-21, 15:56   Link #4210
Blaat

When I see the result of the CL and EL draw (no German, Spanish and English team facing each other) I think it's fishy. When I see the convoluted theories on how it's rigged I think it's a load of bull. Then again Anglo-Saxons do love their conspiracies theories.
Old 2013-03-21, 18:21   Link #4211
Bri

Quote:
It's possible, but I doubts it's that blatant. UEFA makes it clear upfront in the rules that the CL seeding, stages and draws already massively favor the top teams. It does make sense for them to prevent teams from the same major TV-markets to meet. However I don't believe in a desire for a final between Barca and Real. The ideal final is probably two traditional top teams from two different big 4 leagues. Team Sky versus El Classico seems now the most desirable.

Worst situation possible for UEFA is a final between PSG and Galatasaray. Two teams from smaller leagues. Not surprising that the minor teams all got difficult draws. The only time the whole system failed was 2004 when Porto and Monaco beat the odds. The only time since 1996 (and Bosman) that any team from a non big 4 league made the final. That those two made it must have annoyed a lot of marketing people.

Personally I wouldn't mind to see a final between Dortmund and Galatasaray. Both sides have brilliant supporters which could really bring some life to the event.
Old 2013-03-21, 22:05   Link #4212
justavisitor

Well, can't say I am surprised if all those accusations are true...imo, the refereeing in the last few years have been so fishy anyway...I won't say the referee was forced to make the intentional wrong call, but I have a feeling that the favoritism does indeed exist in UEFA
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
justavisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 22:15   Link #4213
RapidPotential
Spinning round and round~

Accusations aside, I believe the fact that Barcelona and Real Madrid have been, in the last few seasons, drawn together close to the final stages would actually indicate something fishy. Being the pro-Spanish (pro-Barca, rather) idiot Platini is, and with his Anglophobic sentiments I am not surprised Spanish teams get favouritism from referees every single year.
RapidPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-22, 14:18   Link #4214
Bri

Referees are employed by the national associations so I would be surprised if UEFA could simply instruct them to help or discourage individual teams without opposition.

Still, referees are football fans too, so I can understand if there is some favoritism towards Barcelona for their playing style. Real may benefit from their stature as biggest club in the world, but how much is that worth against other top teams?

There are also investigations in to the influence of crime and gambling syndicates on matches. Organized crime uses football betting as a way to launder money. Would be terrible for the game if the mob 'encourages' certain decisions based on betting behavior.
Old 2013-03-26, 18:05   Link #4215
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuma Denton View Post
And Gervinho finally scores after 15 games...
I really hope he's sold in the summer.
Old 2013-03-26, 23:52   Link #4216
solomon

Anybody see any qualifiing action?

Gotta say, even though our players need work on offense, I'm proud of the US getting the draw at Mexico when it mattered. We did get lucky with some calls though, lol!

So what's up with the three lions?
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-27, 22:19   Link #4217
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post

Gotta say, even though our players need work on offense, I'm proud of the US getting the draw at Mexico when it mattered. We did get lucky with some calls though, lol!

They've got the same issues as usual. Sub-par CB play and not enough creativity in the middle or along the flanks are currently the biggest in my opinion.
Old 2013-03-27, 23:06   Link #4218
Azuma Denton
~AD~

What i see is overhyped player assembled.
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-27, 23:53   Link #4219
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

I seriously believe that Manchester United should do what Bayern Munich did in the early 2000s when they stopped recruiting local prospects while aiming at several foreigners to make the backbone of their 2001 Champions League-winning squad (Sagnol, Lixarazu, Kuffour, Hargreaves, Andersson, Giovane, Salihamidzic, etc.). Whether people approve this way of doing or not, Bayern's signing of several foreigners forced the DFB to radically change the way to teach younger players in Germany. As a result, German football as a whole improved a hell lot to be what they are today.

So far, City, Arsenal and Chelsea stopped recruiting English players, but not much has changed in the FA system. However, if Manchester United (the big cheese of English football) comes out in the future and openly stops recruiting English players, it should be the alarm signal the FA needs to change their ways. I know what I propose here (stop recruiting English among top PL teams) will rub a few feathers among British members here and I'm sorry if it offends some, but I strongly believe that the only way to change things with England is for clubs to take such radical measures. It's about doing one bad thing with the purpose of bringing greater good further down the road.

Last edited by KiraYamatoFan; 2013-04-02 at 03:57.
Old 2013-03-27, 23:55   Link #4220
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post

I missed Korea's match but according to what everyone said we played like shit and did not deserve the win. But 96 minute winner is always epic and will take the win.

As for England, I just realized Dejan of FC Seoul score, pretty cool to see K-League players making some impact internationally.

Tags
football, soccer