AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hayate no Gotoku

Notices

Old 2007-04-10, 16:17   Link #301
Joojoobees

Yes, they do a good job of handling the censorship. It doesn't really detract from the show, and even manages to add some comedy that is very much in the same vein as the other humor (like Hayate fighting with the narrator over saying his line).

On to more serious matters: Who is the old man that was introduced in the second episode? I thought it was Nagi's father at first, but then I wasn't really sure. Is that an employee?
Joojoobees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-10, 16:35   Link #302
rooboy
Umeboshi!

It's the Head Butler. His name is Klaus.
Old 2007-04-10, 16:40   Link #303
Joojoobees

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooboy View Post
Thanks! I caught that Maria referred to him as Klaus-san, then I thought, "that doesn't sound like the way she would refer to the Nagi's dad."
Old 2007-04-10, 16:46   Link #304
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Klaus is a lot like the resident father-figure I guess. He definitely doesn't seem very fond of Hayate for his ojou-sama.
Spoiler for I guess it's a spoiler? Concerns Nagi's father:
I thought some of the censorship was in the manga as well - don't they always censor the gundams and things that are trademarked?

The fanservice shot at the first "ending" of episode 2 cracked me up. The anime now has like 1000x more fanservice than the manga.
Old 2007-04-10, 17:24   Link #305
LCeh

I really enjoyed this episode, but like Skane, I was hoping they would do more with the bathing scene.

And it's odd, cause from what I have read, the last 2 komas on this page is translated quite differently. From what I have read, which is the Chinese translation, the last 2 komas went more like this:

Spoiler:

I wonder if it's my translation that was wrong of Skane's version, and now I am very curious. Can anyone please confirm?
LCeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-10, 18:20   Link #306
Fruitfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCeh View Post
I really enjoyed this episode, but like Skane, I was hoping they would do more with the bathing scene.

And it's odd, cause from what I have read, the last 2 komas on this page is translated quite differently. From what I have read, which is the Chinese translation, the last 2 komas went more like this:

Spoiler:

I wonder if it's my translation that was wrong of Skane's version, and now I am very curious. Can anyone please confirm?
Not quite sure but I believe it's Hayate thoughts still in the 2nd Koma.
Volume one is a bit confusing. Maybe thats why they did change stuff here and there. But I'm unhappy that they took out a lot of the parts with Maria.

I looked in Viz's translation. It's a mix of yours and the picture that Skane posted. So maybe you're both right.
Fruitfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-10, 21:11   Link #307
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Every time I listen to the narrator I keep picturing Onsokumaru (from Ninja Nonsense) behind the microphone, leering widely.
dkellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-11, 10:30   Link #308
Owaranai Destiny
Nick of Time~

Send a message via AIM to Owaranai Destiny Send a message via MSN to Owaranai Destiny
Saw episode 2. I've got a feeling those were not the last parodies that will appear in HnG. It's not a 'sturdy robot, not a ***dam.' It's Black Lagoon and One Piece if I'm not wrong.

Wonder what kind of a role will Maria play later on other than being the more sensible of the trio.
Owaranai Destiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-11, 11:19   Link #309
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
is this really "solid censorship"?
to me, i was quite amused, since it appears to be an irrationel censor, thus another comedic aspect (especially episode 1 : at the very end, the "censor" drawing was covering like... even less than 1/3 of hayate's head, which would imply it wasn't that bloody/gory)
i think it adds some funny wild imagination here : "we can't show you ! but you can guess WHAT it looks like" *animators grinning*
Yeah, it would save them from having to splurge out on loads of Red bath agent in scenes like that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooboy View Post
This Klaus; or his VA at least, keeps popping up everywhere. If I'm not wrong, he was 3 persons (+1 if you include the narrator) in episode 2. XD
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-11, 12:45   Link #310
Ayu-ayu
a.k.a. Akari_House

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asrialys View Post
In the end or before Maria shows up?
Sorry, was away for a bit, but it looks like no one else followed up on it, so I checked the manga version for comparison to see if this was original to the anime or not.

Yeah, the anime version of this scene in ep. 1 has got to be a rip on Yuuichi's scene from the KyoAni Kanon, because the dialogue was rewritten for the scene in Hayate. It's right before Maria shows up, where he feels he should give up on his life while lying in the snow. Compare the monologue and the editing to the scene at the end of the episode of Kanon before Makoto (Big) shows up...
Ayu-ayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-11, 13:12   Link #311
meh

Wow, I haven't laughed this hard at an anime since Haruhi ended. I liked the manga, but the anime is way better in the way the jokes are carried out. The ***dam and black lagoon references were just just killers.
meh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-11, 16:54   Link #312
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Episode 2. Okay, I'm sold. Funny and romantic, with great voice-acting. I am a sucker for shows that step outside themselves and look back, like with the "this part isn't over" bits. The source manga must be good, and the adaptation seems good, too.

Nagi isn't a tsundere, she's a deretsun: the dere comes first, and the tsun just punctuates it from time to time. For Kugimiya Rie's sake, as well, I like to see her inch her way out of the stereotype. And not only is Tanaka Rie's Maria great, it's amazing to hear it just after hearing her doing Hiro in Hataraki Man. Sugoi.

With Itou Shizuka, Matsuki Miyu, Ueda Kana, Inoue Marina, Nabatame Hitomi, Yahagi Sayuri, and Takahashi Mikako yet to come. And Wakamoto Norio's voiceover.

I think we're seeing the birth of a new directorial talent in Kawaguchi Keiichi, who did such a great job with Getsumen to Heiki Miina, his only other show.

Amazing combination of writers adapting the manga: Inotsume Shinichi is listed as having done nothing but this and Koutetsu Sangokushi, the wild new BL adaptation of the Three Kingdoms. But lead writer Takegami Junki has been the lead on everything from Mar and Gunslinger Girl to Naruto Shippuden to Getsumen To Heiki Miina, and has done script work on Mizuiro Jidai and Maison Ikkoku.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-11, 17:59   Link #313
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

The censorship in the manga was basically for side stepping the copyright issue when doing parodies of other anime/mange while the censorship in the anime is more on cutting out the blood and gory part along with the parody reference.

Overall, it shouldnt detract your viewing experiences though since the bloody part doesn't enhance the comedy as much as the censorship joke.
Old 2007-04-11, 18:07   Link #314
Goofus Maximus
Senile Member

I generally miss the "in" jokes, but the whole "Black Lagoon/One-Piece" gag pretty much bludgeoned me into getting it!

Sigh. I didn't even spell "signature" right in my new sig... Bah. I'm not going to redo it either! So there! Chalk one up to my naturally empty mind!
Goofus Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-11, 19:09   Link #315
Matt Soulblade
1000 times better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayu-ayu View Post
Sorry, was away for a bit, but it looks like no one else followed up on it, so I checked the manga version for comparison to see if this was original to the anime or not.

Yeah, the anime version of this scene in ep. 1 has got to be a rip on Yuuichi's scene from the KyoAni Kanon, because the dialogue was rewritten for the scene in Hayate. It's right before Maria shows up, where he feels he should give up on his life while lying in the snow. Compare the monologue and the editing to the scene at the end of the episode of Kanon before Makoto (Big) shows up...
Wow, is this... true? I dont think there is no posibility of this being true since Kanon ended recently and had considerable popularity...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofus Maximus View Post
Sigh. I didn't even spell "signature" right in my new sig... Bah. I'm not going to redo it either! So there! Chalk one up to my naturally empty mind!
At least you made me laugh with this phrase
Matt Soulblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-11, 20:46   Link #316
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
The craziness continues i am throughly enjoying the show and episode did not disappoint. Its funny its almost like this episode was being told through the eyes of Maria since our two main characters are as clueless as can be. What i really like is that humor is so straight forward its impossible to miss. This series has also taught me a valuable already. SANTA CLAUSE IS A BASTARD if anyone sees him next Christmas make sure to jack him up for me. Plus Hayata calling the Yukuza generous people still makes roll.

Best dialog of episode 2
"But what exactly is Ayasaki Hayata boy like?"

"um let me see....someone who can catch up to a car speeding at 120 KM/H on a bicycle and can withstand being run over by said car."

"Maria which***damn is that? thats as sturdy as a giant robot"

"No Claus-san he is a human."

Not sure if anyone noticed this but i swear they were doing a parody of Black Lagoon when Hayata went off on his rant. That has got to be Dutch and Revy
Old 2007-04-11, 20:54   Link #317
Goofus Maximus
Senile Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
The craziness continues i am throughly enjoying the show and episode did not disappoint. Its funny its almost like this episode was being told through the eyes of Maria since our two main characters are as clueless as can be. What i really like is that humor is so straight forward its impossible to miss. This series has also taught me a valuable already. SANTA CLAUSE IS A BASTARD if anyone sees him next Christmas make sure to jack him up for me. Plus Hayata calling the Yukuza generous people still makes roll.

Best dialog of episode 2
"But what exactly is Ayasaki Hayata boy like?"

"um let me see....someone who can catch up to a car speeding at 120 KM/H on a bicycle and can withstand being run over by said car."

"Maria which***damn is that? thats as sturdy as a giant robot"

"No Claus-san he is a human."

Not sure if anyone noticed this but i swear they were doing a parody of Black Lagoon when Hayata went off on his rant. That has got to be Dutch and Revy
Did you catch the One Piece reference just after that? Hat included!
Goofus Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-11, 20:55   Link #318
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofus Maximus View Post
Did you catch the One Piece reference just after that? Hat included!
Oh crap i forgot about that good call
Old 2007-04-11, 21:22   Link #319
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvianWing View Post
Why is it necessary to censor the word, Gundam? Or part of it, at least. Gundam was also censored in Haruhi when they parodied it.
Cause rumour has it Sunrise will come and eat your children if you breach copyright on the Gundam. Sunrise is one of two Japanese companies (the other being Gonzo) that proactively makes Youtube remove its shows from the site. There's even a rumour (completely false as Banpresto is a sister company to Sunrise and part of the Bandai family) that Sunrise made Banpresto remove the Huckbein series of Personal Troopers from Super Robot Wars OGs because of their resemblance to Gundam. Basically its both a sign of respect and a sign of fear from companies who want to pay tribute to Gundam without crossing the line.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-11, 21:50   Link #320
Matt Soulblade
1000 times better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Cause rumour has it Sunrise will come and eat your children if you breach copyright on the Gundam. Sunrise is one of two Japanese companies (the other being Gonzo) that proactively makes Youtube remove its shows from the site. There's even a rumour (completely false as Banpresto is a sister company to Sunrise and part of the Bandai family) that Sunrise made Banpresto remove the Huckbein series of Personal Troopers from Super Robot Wars OGs because of their resemblance to Gundam. Basically its both a sign of respect and a sign of fear from companies who want to pay tribute to Gundam without crossing the line.
Offt: That is... not truth right????? I mean come on... they JUST CANT DO THAT COME ON!.

OnT: I still wonder if the Gundam references will be kept... I guess this is a bad sign...
Matt Soulblade is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, comedy, romance, shounen, synergy sp