AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-08-24, 14:58   Link #16061
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer3000ad View Post
"R-M269 is most common in western Europe, reaching frequencies of 90% or more in Spain, Ireland and Wales."

Makes sense to me that the far edges of the continent would be the greatest stronghold of paleolithic Europeans.
Old 2011-08-24, 16:42   Link #16062
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Hurricane Irene could be "big threat" to Northeast
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...77K01820110824
Old 2011-08-24, 18:37   Link #16063
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Steve Jobs resigns as CEO of Apple

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/24/s...-ceo-of-apple/

Old 2011-08-24, 19:02   Link #16064
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post

And Apple shares tumble.

I've never heard of one company's value being tied so much to a single person...
Old 2011-08-24, 19:08   Link #16065
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post

And Apple shares tumble.

I've never heard of one company's value being tied so much to a single person...
Maybe they'll stop being such patent trolls now that he's gone...
Old 2011-08-24, 21:02   Link #16066
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:

And Apple shares tumble.

He was the one who built it from scratch, saved it a number of times. It is time for him to go and let Apple "normalise" like a tech firm in any other industry. Bill Gates left pretty much for the same reason but he was taken over by a third-rate retard who doesn't even know how to run a company.

Apple really needs to have its entire company cohesion back on track instead of relying of Steve Jobs all the time.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2011-08-24, 21:49   Link #16067
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:

And Apple shares tumble.

hmmm, I think it says more about how *poorly* the big investor institutions do their homework if they think Apple is going to crash and burn tomorrow because he went home. Maybe in five years if they can't come up with the "next big thing"... but not for the next few years.
Old 2011-08-24, 22:03   Link #16068
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

And Steve Jobs is still Chairman of the Board, so he's still in the picture.
Old 2011-08-24, 22:43   Link #16069
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:

And Apple shares tumble.

On a personal level, his resignation possibly means that his health has got worse. Best wishes, and hope things turn out fine.
Old 2011-08-24, 23:08   Link #16070
Doraneko
The Owl of Minerva

Quote:
Studio Ghibli's Hayao Miyazaki is looking at you in amusement.
Old 2011-08-25, 02:16   Link #16071
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
On a personal level, his resignation possibly means that his health has got worse. Best wishes, and hope things turn out fine.
Something to note : pancreatic cancer has a 86% kill rate in the US.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2011-08-25, 02:38   Link #16072
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Something to note : pancreatic cancer has a 86% kill rate in the US.
If he dies within the next five years, I will feel very bad for anyone who owns Apple stock.
Old 2011-08-25, 03:38   Link #16073
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
If he dies within the next five years, I will feel very bad for anyone who owns Apple stock.
Make it 10. Cults don't dissipate that fast.

Old 2011-08-25, 03:45   Link #16074
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Make it 10. Cults don't dissipate that fast.
10 so long as people know what they're doing with the company at least, and so far it looks like Steve had full run over what was happening with Apple's activities. Without him, you can have the cult, but it'll risk running wild.
Old 2011-08-25, 04:19   Link #16075
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoshi View Post
10 so long as people know what they're doing with the company at least, and so far it looks like Steve had full run over what was happening with Apple's activities. Without him, you can have the cult, but it'll risk running wild.
I am having even more problems in where I live :

Multi-racial Malaysia caught at economic crossroads

Quote:
Since then the prime minister has campaigned for unity under the slogan of 1Malaysia.
This is a reason why I hate politicians, regardless of nationality. LKY tried to do this under "Malaysian Malaysia" 48 years ago, and he gets booted out out of the Federation. And now the PM is doing this to regarner votes he had lost?

Goddamn hypocrites, every single fucking one of them around the world.

Quote:
Senior Malay civil servants and teachers have been accused of making derogatory comments about other races, calling ethnic Chinese and Indians "immigrants" despite the fact that many have been settled in the country for generations. Malaysian people in the street Many ethnic Chinese and Indian Malaysians are voting with their feet to seek fairer policies abroad
Yeah, and they cross the Causeway, take on jobs for lower wages and without CPF contributions, leaving the locals to hang dry. Kinda makes a totally BS reason when your parents work so hard to send you to school and tuition so you can get into university because they don't wish for you to walk the same harsh route as them, and you fall short due to grade moderation thanks to increased number of students. I am not one of these kids, but I have seen quite a number with straight Bs but still only qualify for the useless liberal arts degrees.

One good thing though, at least they started fixing their goddamn budget deficit, while Singapore's sliding into the red.

Old 2011-08-25, 04:32   Link #16076
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Chinatown funeral goods bring counterfeit charges
Quote:
New York (Aug 24, Wed): The items, mostly copies of luxury objects, inside the little shop in downtown Manhattan are made of thin cardboard and might not even pass muster deep in the background of a movie set.

But that did not deter the police from arresting a shop worker on counterfeiting charges for selling several items, including Louis Vuitton and Burberry handbags.

There is just one problem: the items are supposed to be fake.

The store on Mulberry Street, along what is known in Chinatown as Funeral Row, sells traditional objects of mourning, mostly copies of luxury objects. The items are made of cardboard, paper and plastic, and are used at funerals as symbolic gifts for the deceased. The cardboard models are burned as part of traditional Chinese funeral practices.

A police spokesman would only offer information from the arrest report, including that the worker who was arrested, Mak Wing Sun, was observed offering to sell three handbags "that bore a counterfeit trademark Burberry" and one handbag that bore a fake Louis Vuitton insignia.

Councilwoman Margaret Chin, who represents the neighbourhood and was contacted by the store's owners for help, said she had requested a meeting with police officials.

"You'd expect the police to be culturally sensitive," Ms Chin said. "This has been going on for hundreds of years, the Chinese burning offerings to the dead, and that's what these kind of stores are for. It's hard to understand how someone could mistake this for criminal activity."

Ms Suki Lin, the wife of the arrested man, picked up her own Coach handbag. "It's real," she said, a gift from her husband. She motioned towards a cardboard bag and said: "If he gave me that bag, I’d beat him to death."

NYT
Romance rules Philippine book charts
Quote:
Manila (Aug 23, Tue): In the fantasy world created by Philippine publishing giant Precious Hearts Romances, the men are rich, sexual promiscuity and homosexuals are taboo, and the story always ends happily after 128 pages.

The ultra-cheap local versions of Britain's Mills and Boon novels are the country's most popular books, making their authors champions of conservative Christian values and unlikely heroes in the battle to improve literacy among the poor.

"Some people say it's trash, but at least they (the poor) read," said Mr Segundo Matias, the boss of Precious Hearts, which churns out 50 titles monthly to dominate a genre that has a readership estimated in the millions.

Priced at 37 pesos (about 87 cents) and written in street-level Tagalog, the books emerged in the early 1980s when an economic crisis forced the importers of Western "chick literature" paperbacks to seek out alternatives.

In a country where roughly a quarter of the population lives on a dollar a day or less, the books have proved popular because they always offer hope.

Mr Matias said the novels' morality codes reflect the values embraced by many in the Philippines, Asia's Roman Catholic outpost where divorce, abortion, and same-sex marriages remain illegal. "There's no bed-hopping, there's no immorality," he said.

Mr Dennis Gonzales, chairman of the government's National Book Development Board, said the romance books were an important way of keeping people interested in the written word, amid the distractions of new technologies.

"It's still better to read romance novelettes than to while away your time texting," he told AFP, adding that only about 22 per cent of Filipino adults read books.

"Among the working poor and the very poor, the books that they primarily read are the very affordable or cheap ones like romance novels," he said.

AFP
^ That's interesting. Any of our Filipino friends care to verify or add further insights to this story?
Old 2011-08-25, 04:37   Link #16077
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
This is a reason why I hate politicians, regardless of nationality. LKY tried to do this under "Malaysian Malaysia" 48 years ago, and he gets booted out out of the Federation. And now the PM is doing this to regarner votes he had lost?

Goddamn hypocrites, every single fucking one of them around the world.
Politicians in this modern age are concerned more with monetary gain. It doesn't matter if the people they're meant to serve suffer. To them, it's just another job in which to make money, and money comes from people's taxes. That's all they really care about in the end, and appeasing those people who're more willing to give is in their best interest as a result. 48 years ago might've been a different matter, and now they do the same because it's more convenient perhaps.

Quote:
Yeah, and they cross the Causeway, take on jobs for lower wages and without CPF contributions, leaving the locals to hang dry. Kinda makes a totally BS reason when your parents work so hard to send you to school and tuition so you can get into university because they don't wish for you to walk the same harsh route as them, and you fall short due to grade moderation thanks to increased number of students. I am not one of these kids, but I have seen quite a number with straight Bs but still only qualify for the useless liberal arts degrees.
Racism is an ugly thing when practiced by those in power.
Old 2011-08-25, 04:44   Link #16078
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
For a moment I thought it happened in Singapore. If it is I bet the next moment the poor NSF would have been charged by the ISD for racist intent.

Note : Under the law, regardless of which part of the world, the poor funeral goods seller could still be charged for trademark infringement. Even worse if he is in France - it would have been a criminal act.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoshi View Post
Racism is an ugly thing when practiced by those in power.
It doesn't really matter to me if my neighbouring countries practice racism or not, but the thing is that when they did, and the shit spilled over across the Causeway.

Old 2011-08-25, 05:07   Link #16079
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

PayPal founder pays entrepreneurs to skip college
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...77N4PC20110824
Quote:
Dale Stephens was homeschooled for most of his academic life, so when the 19-year-old was offered $100,000 to skip college and work on his startup, he jumped at the chance.
Old 2011-08-25, 05:17   Link #16080
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

As a Chinese I find that story absurd. Chinese burial customs dictates that, almost similarly to Egyptian burial rituals, you bury/cremate the dead with the items you'd wish them to have in the afterlife, albeit you burn representations. When my maternal grandfather died we burned a gigantic paper house, a small plastic corvette (he had one when he was younger), and the usual paper money for him to spend. I mean, better than burning an actual Corvette right?

As for the cheap Filipino romance novels... well yes that's actually true. Peek into any mall or cornershop and you're bound to see a saleslady reading one of those. It's cheap literacy education for less than a dollar a day.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international