AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-11-09, 18:17   Link #141
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
I've always wanted to post this quote somewhere
To be fair, for the purposes of this thread the alternative is one guy surrounded by women who basically live for him .
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-10, 18:47   Link #142
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
An anime without women is bullshit....
And a anime without men is bull shit. =\ be fair and add atleast one of each
Old 2012-11-10, 19:07   Link #143
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

It doesn't have to be a harem- things are just more interesting when boys and girls mingle.

Nowhere is this more apparent in recent memories than in Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-10, 19:23   Link #144
Insane
Banned

What i don't like the most about harem story is the author's tendency to keep adding new girls in every arc and turning it into cliche, old story of the MC going around helping girls and girls keep falling for him (Unless the author stop doing that and establish only the main heroines for the MC). Many harem story that initially interesting turn into mess because of too many women surrounding the MC.
Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-11, 02:51   Link #145
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane View Post
What i don't like the most about harem story is the author's tendency to keep adding new girls in every arc and turning it into cliche, old story of the MC going around helping girls and girls keep falling for him (Unless the author stop doing that and establish only the main heroines for the MC). Many harem story that initially interesting turn into mess because of too many women surrounding the MC.
Woah.. Negima and To Love Ru?
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-11, 03:48   Link #146
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
things are just more interesting when boys and girls mingle.

Nowhere is this more apparent in recent memories than in Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou
I fully concur.
Old 2012-11-17, 13:30   Link #147
asaqe
Augumented Paranoia

Too bad companies like Compile Heart and MAQL is showing how popular it is to remove male character all together. In a couple of years, good male character designers will be a distant memory. Doomed to be only in Shounen manga.
Old 2012-11-17, 19:34   Link #148
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
And a anime without men is bull shit. =\ be fair and add atleast one of each
Yeah, I forgot.

Anime without women is bulls***t for the male MC.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-18, 21:36   Link #149
Reek of Blood
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Reek of Blood
Why harem exist and became popular in Japan in the first place?

The credit goes to those lonely, desperate otakus that failed to get girlfriends, shut themselves tight in their cramped rooms instead of joining any useful activities in society, and drowning themselves inside their unrealistic, wish-fulfilment delusions instead of accepting reality.
Reek of Blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-19, 00:24   Link #150
asaqe
Augumented Paranoia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reek of Blood View Post

The credit goes to those lonely, desperate otakus that failed to get girlfriends, shut themselves tight in their cramped rooms instead of joining any useful activities in society, and drowning themselves inside their unrealistic, wish-fulfilment delusions instead of accepting reality.
And even that is now replace with the new age audience believing they simply don't deserve women who are better off being lesbians now.

It it like Eastern Europe and happiness, they are too used to the bitterness of life to see happiness as a form of escapism and must instead validate their miserable existence through more depressing stories.
Old 2012-11-19, 02:34   Link #151
Izayoi
I LOVE FLAN_CHAN
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Izayoi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reek of Blood View Post

Some ridiculous causal oversimplification here. I like this post which asserts that the shut-in population of otakus contributes the majority to the harem popularity, quite profound. Apparently, the majority of the other otaku population does not like the harem genre. Hey Animesuki, is this something we can agree upon? I only hope to understand the caste system behind the otaku social classes.

Last edited by Izayoi; 2012-11-19 at 02:54.
Izayoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-19, 03:37   Link #152
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The question is - who has the wallets and who is opening their wallets. They may be "lonely and desperate" in Japan, but they probably have jobs. After 10+hours on the job, there isn't time to pursue a social life so they escape in other ways.

Some of you are over-amplifying the "wanker in the basement" meme a bit farther than makes sense practically or economically.
Old 2012-11-19, 05:22   Link #153
Insane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
The question is - who has the wallets and who is opening their wallets. They may be "lonely and desperate" in Japan, but they probably have jobs. After 10+hours on the job, there isn't time to pursue a social life so they escape in other ways.
Agree completely. We call them "otaku" simply because of their sheer obsessions towards their hobbies to the point of insanity, and perhaps some of them have some jobs to support the crazy cost of their hobbies. Still, not all otakus are "hikikomori", more extreme version of otaku where they completely shut themselves and not letting anyone getting near them (even their own family). They're mostly jobless and become parasites to their families/people close to them. We should be able to differentiate between otaku and hikikomori.
Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-19, 05:30   Link #154
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
An anime without women is bullshit....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izayoi View Post
You just called the majority of the yaoi anime bullshit. This I cannot refute.
Oh come on, older anime fans survived the 1980s which were total sausage fests. But those "sausage fests" had something that yaoi will never have: that fiery, intense, respectful, heartfelt and deep friendship that is often called "bromance" today. One can watch Hokuto no Ken and Saint Seiya, or even Legend of Galactic Heroes, to grasp what I meant. For recent examples, you watch Fate Zero and see Rider and Waver, and even more recent, the newest adaptation of JoJo.

And know what? The fact that women were hardly relevant bothered nobody.

Last edited by Sheba; 2012-11-19 at 05:54.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-19, 11:24   Link #155
Dahak86
Classics never age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Times have changed. (thankfully, may I add)
Old 2012-11-19, 12:14   Link #156
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Yeah, badly for shows that have a higher male to female ratio. They are either called out as fujoshi catering or sexist, or anything between the two ends of that spectrum. I quite remember people being bothered that Fate/Zero had so few females. See, years ago, Fate/Zero would not have been called out on that.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-19, 12:32   Link #157
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
Yeah, badly for shows that have a higher male to female ratio. They are either called out as fujoshi catering or sexist, or anything between the two ends of that spectrum. I quite remember people being bothered that Fate/Zero had so few females. See, years ago, Fate/Zero would not have been called out on that.
Odd that you are using the word 'sexist' for that, because it's no different in other kind of media like comic books. The amount of superheroines (that are worth mentioning) compared to superheroes is just as bad. Just look how many superheroines are in Marvel's Avengers and DC's Justice League

You can't just blame it on the "times", because it also depends on the target demographic. Are you calling children series like Inazuma Eleven sexist just because it has more boys in it than girls?

As for Fate/Zero, i am sure it had plenty of female characters that had a role in the story.
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-19, 14:18   Link #158
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
Quote:
Oh come on, older anime fans survived the 1980s which were total sausage fests. But those "sausage fests" had something that yaoi will never have: that fiery, intense, respectful, heartfelt and deep friendship that is often called "bromance" today. One can watch Hokuto no Ken and Saint Seiya, or even Legend of Galactic Heroes, to grasp what I meant. For recent examples, you watch Fate Zero and see Rider and Waver, and even more recent, the newest adaptation of JoJo.

That is mostly the women were mostly love interests or partners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
Odd that you are using the word 'sexist' for that, because it's no different in other kind of media like comic books. The amount of superheroines (that are worth mentioning) compared to superheroes is just as bad. Just look how many superheroines are in Marvel's Avengers and DC's Justice League

You can't just blame it on the "times", because it also depends on the target demographic. Are you calling children series like Inazuma Eleven sexist just because it has more boys in it than girls?

As for Fate/Zero, i am sure it had plenty of female characters that had a role in the story.
Like Saber, Sola, Irisviel, Rin, Sakura, and I forgot her name Kiritsugu's Assistant. Even so, there are plenty of female characters in manga and anime.
Old 2012-11-19, 16:23   Link #159
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

"sexist" more depends on what female characters are being used for. Are they ornaments or are they intrinsic to the plot?

If the plot involves a man and woman piloting a combat vehicle together and their friendship/romance - I'd say that's less likely to be sexist than a one where a female does is stand around screaming her head off in high heels while the zombies close in waiting for "the guy" to save her.

The thread is purely whether one like a one guy pursuing or being pursued by several girls ... versus ... a story concerning only girls. Frankly, I'm having trouble with the "versus" because that doesn't actually tell you much about the story genre (even an all girl series can have romance ... )
Old 2012-11-19, 21:31   Link #160
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

To everyone who CAN'T read and jumped the gun. Let me just make myself clear. I do not demand a full return to full males anime, I am saying that swinging the pendulum so far in the opposite direction that we pretend that the opposite gender don't or even shouldn't exist IS JUST AS BAD. I am a fan of mixed ensemble cast. In my pov, writers SHOULD explore every aspects of humankind even in that small microcosmos that is highschool, and to achieve that, we must acknowledge that both genders exists, have their needs and wants, qualities and flaws, best and worst. This is why something like Danshi Koukousei No Nichijou appears REFRESHING. Even if females are faceless they have had their moments in the spotlight.

The. Fucking. Middle. Way.

It's not a that hard to grasp concept.