AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2013-06-06, 08:49   Link #2141
Somethindarker
Super Senior Elder Member

This ending is comedy gold. Like, wtf was the point of the entire series. People read this for 10 years. Only to get a day of "dating", 1 middle school grade kiss, a pretend wedding and then a "this never happened" ending. xD Oh thank god I read just cliff notes of the volume instead of devoting real time and energy into series.
Somethindarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-06, 08:53   Link #2142
Kakurin
大佐

Well, well, before passing judgement wouldn't it be appropriate to wait until this current chaos has cleared up a bit?
Kakurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-06, 08:55   Link #2143
Elgregos
Radical dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somethindarker View Post
This ending is comedy gold. Like, wtf was the point of the entire series. People read this for 10 years. Only to get a day of "dating", 1 middle school grade kiss, a pretend wedding and then a "this never happened" ending. xD Oh thank god I read just cliff notes of the volume instead of devoting real time and energy into series.
To think the only relevant volumes were the 2 last, all the others serve no point at all except trolling everyone who's not on the siscon ship
Elgregos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-06, 08:56   Link #2144
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
Not to mention route destruction on an epic scale.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-06, 08:56   Link #2145
Sakuratsuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikohowell View Post
but he still rejected his sister
He rejected her but before he did that. He kissed her. You can say yes, it was only a simulation date (like an eroge) or a realtionship that is not real. That would also answer the question oabout Kirino when she said in volume 11 to ayase and kuroneko. I am gonna do something that is better than an eroge. But the problem is if he didnt like his sister they wouldnt have kissed at all even if it is not for real. So the rejection was for me more on a base of. Look we cant keep being lovers because it is not right we are sister and brother.

He has feelings for her that is 100% sure. But the writter didnt want to go for a incest ending. Then it is logical to end it this way. Because for Kyousuke it is Kirino or nobody. The story about 10 years laters will shed some light on what happend after..............
Old 2013-06-06, 08:59   Link #2146
Soverence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somethindarker View Post
Well even if all these ending spoilers turn out to be completely true, it wouldn't be the worst thing. Yes, the final novel sounds a little weak but that might just be because of the lack to total information. The other eleven volumes were all hilarious and interesting so I wouldn't really say that we all wasted our time reading them. I mean come on, I feel like it is pretty common for anime/LN/manga to all have pretty weak endings, at least in my opinion so I really didn't expect anything great.

I don't think it would be that weird if it ended that way, it is a way for the author to basically have the relationship but avoid all the social issues that would plague them if they tried to have a long term established relationship. If anyone would honestly believe it could go back to a normal sibling relationship after the supposed final volume then you really haven't been following these characters for the whole series have you?
Soverence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-06, 09:04   Link #2147
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Incidentally, multiple owners have confirmed now the newer spoiler ending (that wasn't covered/cut-off in the summary from a few days ago):

Spoilers
Spoiler for Volume 12 Epilogue
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

There are still other conflicting points between the summaries posted, so expect further clarifications over the course of the day.
Old 2013-06-06, 09:06   Link #2148
GDB

If the spoilers turn out to be true as printed, the author quite literally could have just ended their career. Anger fans that much and expect to be able to sell them another series? Not happening.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-06, 09:07   Link #2149
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
The show managed to raise several interesting questions (what if a brother gradually fell in love with his sister that seemed to hate him all the time), but ultimately failed to offer convincing answers.

- What will they do about the social stigmatization?
- How would the parents act?
- Why would characters like Ayase, who threatened to kill Kyousuke over it, suddenly condone this kind of resolution?
- Why would any genuine romantic love revelation between those two suddenly be reverted? (Answer: Cop-out) If so, what's the point of the entire story up to now?
This little bullet list is just the start of the dozens of reasons the author fails if this is indeed the ending. A writer *has* to resolve any trainwreck issues or the tall tale fractures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayid View Post
Damn the kiss between kyousuke and Kirino!!!

I am tottaly sold. Even if he didnt choose anyone at the end. That kiss was the best part for me. Dont care for the rest of the story.
And besides it is clear that he has feelings for his sister even if he didnt choose no one.

Besides i like this ending very much. Let us face it:

- This novel is about a sister and a brother and how they driffted apart
- Then they became close after some serieus devolpment between them

Looking at what this novel is about it is normal that he didnt end with manami, kureneko, ayase etc.

An open ending is the best one for this story. Because the writter also has an anime running. For the ones that have forgotten. Let me remind you of tokyo ban law. And the writter cleary doesnt want to make this great story in an incest ending because it could afect the anime. Because the tokyo ban law can oppose it.

So the best possible ending would be an open ending. If he ended up with kuroneko, manami etc it wouldnt fit the story.
Um ... no. He could have repaired his sibling relationship with Kirino and chosen Kuroneko or Ayase as a romantic partner. That would actually fit the story as it was developed. Reading through the volumes, he either failed to connect the dots to this ending or he connected the dots to a different ending. I'm not against a Kirino ending as such - I simply don't think he covered the bases in making it a plausible ending. It requires utterly jerking around the positions of several major characters with no transition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Excuse my harsh words, but if the frivolity spoiler turns out to be correct, this is a complete bullsh*t cop-out. Or written by someone who has absolutely no clue what romantic love is all about.

No, this is a narrative train wreck. The author has raised several serious questions, but in the end was unable to answer them convincingly, so he bailed. And the readers are supposed to suspend disbelief and accept it.
I'm in this camp unless we get some VERY good buildup to the end - that the writer has utterly no experience with real people much less romantic love - and possibly doesn't know how to construct a story that actually connects from front to back.

Quote:
So ore no imouto was really popular. And not just only in Japan but also internationaly. Ahahhaah, cant blame the writter for ending it this way. Because he had much pressure at the last moment. I have seen on some website that this novel normally wouldnt end with just 12 volumes but with 14 volumes. Because of the pressure of ending the novel just in time with the anime. The writter had to finish it sooner. It is a rumour, hopefullly somebody can confirm this.
Oh, we can blame the writer for screwing up, because you write a bleeping *storyboard* that marks the plot points of a story if you can write, like an outline. If he wanted a Kirino-romance ending, he didn't do the work of getting there. There's at least a half dozen unresolved issues that might get Kyou killed or jailed. There's the hairpin total change of attitude from several major characters required (not likely). I'll say it again - a Kirino ending would have been fine *IF* he had covered his bases. There's unresolved crap all over the place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigUp View Post
Well, but if one thinks really hard, then there are only three options for the author, after the way he developed the story:
1) Kirino-end
2) Nobody-end
3) Kuroneko-end

For everybody else, it would have made no sense, as Kyousuke really lacked a real romantic kind of feeling for them, as well as the screen time (or pages) the other people got. And even with Kuroneko I argue, that Kyousuke did not show real romantic love. More of a "like" and "care" instead of love, fueled by the issue of her being the first girl to confess to him.
There's also the "Kirino-resolvedsibling + Kyou-Ayase or Kyou-Kuroneko" ending. Maybe it's my perspective but the Kuroneko relationship is the only non-sibling story arc that actually seemed like real love rather than passing fancy, somewhat because of the "like" and "care" parts.

Sigh, as Soverence notes - weak endings seem endemic to many LNs and manga. Though I'd say Toradora!, Spice & Wolf, and Love Complex! were pretty thoroughly well thought out endings. Most of this story was quite interesting, it just seems like something almost random was pasted on the end of it. It makes me wonder more often how little experience a good percentage of LN/manga authors have with actual other human beings.
Old 2013-06-06, 09:08   Link #2150
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

RF, is it the one frivolity posted? The correct summary, that is.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-06, 09:08   Link #2151
Rias

Author lost to the criminals that threatened him to make such an indecisive ending.
Old 2013-06-06, 09:09   Link #2152
BladeEntity
Anything's Possible
*Author

Seems pretty decisive to me.
Old 2013-06-06, 09:10   Link #2153
Sakuratsuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soverence View Post
Well even if all these ending spoilers turn out to be completely true, it wouldn't be the worst thing. Yes, the final novel sounds a little weak but that might just be because of the lack to total information. The other eleven volumes were all hilarious and interesting so I wouldn't really say that we all wasted our time reading them. I mean come on, I feel like it is pretty common for anime/LN/manga to all have pretty weak endings, at least in my opinion so I really didn't expect anything great.

I don't think it would be that weird if it ended that way, it is a way for the author to basically have the relationship but avoid all the social issues that would plague them if they tried to have a long term established relationship. If anyone would honestly believe it could go back to a normal sibling relationship after the supposed final volume then you really haven't been following these characters for the whole series have you?
I totally agree with you on that. This novel was very good. From volume 1 till volume 11. And it is famous and has also an anime. It was all about kirino and kyousuke. If you have followed the story from the beginning. It was Always about the two siblings and not about kuroneko, ayase or minami. And such an ending is logical because, this way he is avoinding an incest end but also implys that they have Mutual feelings for each other. You can interpret this ending how you want.

This way this story wouldnt be portraid as incest because, it would sell bad if it is portraited as incest. Because some laws in japan will forbid it to be sold to people younger than 18 years old. So to be sure nothing of this happens. It gets this ending. This way it cant be said it is an incest ending but it also can be portraited as an incest ending because he rejected everyone else but he kissed Kirino. So a very weird but the only possible ending for the story.

But reading from volume 1 till volume 11 and the spoilers (not confirmd) of novel volume 12. It is logical that he has feelings for his sister. Come on who wouldnt have seen that comming?. Hello this is ore no imouto. And for the kuroneko lovers. There is a spin off of ore nou kouhai manga.
Old 2013-06-06, 09:11   Link #2154
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
RF, is it the one frivolity posted? The correct summary, that is.
No, that's a repost of the spoiler from a few days ago. The more recent spoilers posted have some minor contradictions with it, including the epilogue mentioned.
Old 2013-06-06, 09:14   Link #2155
AP24

For now we shouldn't believe anything we hear about the ending until a Japanese reader confirms it which is probably within one day.
AP24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-06, 09:15   Link #2156
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I'll say it again - a Kirino ending would have been fine *IF* he had covered his bases. There's unresolved crap all over the place.

There's also the "Kirino-resolvedsibling + Kyou-Ayase or Kyou-Kuroneko" ending. Maybe it's my perspective but the Kuroneko relationship is the only non-sibling story arc that actually seemed like real love rather than passing fancy, somewhat because of the "like" and "care" parts.
Of course the author could have gone that way, but going that way there is the same problem that you pointed out, with no real preparation for the ending. At least in my opinion Kyousuke never really showed true love to Ayase. And even with Kuroneko I never had the feeling that he was truly in love with her. Did he like her and care very much for her? Yes, of course. But unless he would have pulled a sudden romantic turn (which would also have been kind of strange), a romantic end with Ayase / Kuroneko also doesn't sit right.
Old 2013-06-06, 09:17   Link #2157
finalfury
Incognito

I think before people can make claims to Kyousuke and Kirino avoided the legal ramnifications and social reprecussions, I need to understand how a 14 year old girl managed to get 18+ material from online sites. I doubt that she used her parent's credit card(Dad is the stingy type). Moral of the story: Do not apply logic to anime/light novels.
One question tho: Is the author going to quit his job after this cause I think, at the very least, his reputation is tarnished?
Old 2013-06-06, 09:19   Link #2158
tommythecat
Contrarian S-class

I was hoping for resolved sibling relationship, hard to tell from spoilers if that happened but the whole novel just seems like a giant clusterfuck right now.

What was the point of the novels preceding this one save for 11. /sigh
tommythecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-06, 09:19   Link #2159
Sakuratsuki

@Vexx relax man, relax!!!!

I said that it is a rumour man. Relax. Fiction dude. Why are you upset man???
Old 2013-06-06, 09:21   Link #2160
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
This way this story wouldnt be portraid as incest because, it would sell bad if it is portraited as incest. Because some laws in japan will forbid it to be sold to people younger than 18 years old. So to be sure nothing of this happens. It gets this ending. This way it cant be said it is an incest ending but it also can be portraited as an incest ending because he rejected everyone else but he kissed Kirino. So a very weird but the only possible ending for the story.
I get what you are saying, but on the other hand, kissing your sister is a pretty direct sign.

Tags
comedy, harem, romance, shounen, siblings