AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-17, 22:52   Link #181
Jonbob0008
The Last Loner

Send a message via MSN to Jonbob0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakariCritic View Post
The good reviewers of bad fanfics are mostly fanatic shippers.
I once read a Shinobu/Keitaro fic (they're both from Love Hina incase you didn't know) that had 150+ reviews. It was horrible, and what got me was that only a handful of people actually pointed it out. Perhaps the people leaving the positive reviews were indeed shippers of these two.

Sometimes I wish reviewers had more sense.
Old 2009-08-17, 22:55   Link #182
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Sometimes I wish "fanfiction" wasn't almost synonymous with "I ship X and Y here."
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-08-18, 07:21   Link #183
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

That can be avoided if you don't use any of the characters, just the setting with entirely new characters.
Old 2009-08-18, 07:55   Link #184
Jonbob0008
The Last Loner

Send a message via MSN to Jonbob0008
Yeah, but those fics are rarely a hit. Far more often they are a miss. Besides, people read fanfiction for the characters anyway.
Old 2009-08-18, 08:35   Link #185
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
Sometimes I wish "fanfiction" wasn't almost synonymous with "I ship X and Y here."
Given the nature of a lot of anime - i.e. love triangles, or love quadrilaterals, or love pentagons, etc... - it's kind of hard sometimes to write an anime fanfic with out addressing the romance aspect.

So, I'm fine with shipping fics. What I don't like is when a fan of XY makes the competition (Z) seem like an
out-of-character douchebag in order to make X and Y work. A good shipping fic can make XY work with out destroying Z as a character.

So, in Haruhi's case, if somebody wrote, say, a KyonYuki fic, and did it by having Haruhi suddenly throw Kyon out of the SOS Brigade and be vicious to him, and have Mikuru become a person maliciously spreading hateful gossip about Kyon around school... that wouldn't be too good.
Old 2009-08-18, 08:44   Link #186
Joe4evr
(Ex-)Seitenkan VN coder

Location: Slightly south-west of the exact center of this country's X and Y axes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Given the nature of a lot of anime - i.e. love triangles, or love quadrilaterals, or love pentagons, etc...
...all the way up to love dodecahedron.
Old 2009-08-18, 10:02   Link #187
TakariCritic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe4evr View Post
...all the way up to love dodecahedron.
Yes, those pesky Harem anime can get a little complicated, can't they?

That being said, I confess I am definitely guilty of fanfiction shipping (hence my name). Shipper authors cater to a (wide) audience of like-minded people, so as long as they stick to the formula they all agree to, they're sure to get rave reviews, despite the quality of their work.

The reason the "Z" love rival often is portrayed out of character is because that is usually how the common shipper sees him/her. As a KyonxYuki shipper, its easy to cast Haruhi as the villain, given her past history of selfishness and inconsideration. To find a good romance fic, you must first find an author who understands that more than two characters are involved, and thus realistically captures the emotions and actions of that third party.

You CAN get better with practice and without many critical reviews though. My early works (from back in Jr High, mind you) were absolute garbage. Now, my writing has reached a tolerable-decent level.
Old 2009-08-18, 11:56   Link #188
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Yes, those pesky Harem anime can get a little complicated, can't they?

That being said, I confess I am definitely guilty of fanfiction shipping (hence my name). Shipper authors cater to a (wide) audience of like-minded people, so as long as they stick to the formula they all agree to, they're sure to get rave reviews, despite the quality of their work.

The reason the "Z" love rival often is portrayed out of character is because that is usually how the common shipper sees him/her. As a KyonxYuki shipper, its easy to cast Haruhi as the villain, given her past history of selfishness and inconsideration. To find a good romance fic, you must first find an author who understands that more than two characters are involved, and thus realistically captures the emotions and actions of that third party.

You CAN get better with practice and without many critical reviews though. My early works (from back in Jr High, mind you) were absolute garbage. Now, my writing has reached a tolerable-decent level.
Well, in fairness, if a KyonYuki shipper wrote a Kyon thought bubble like this...

As a serious girlfriend, Haruhi would be just too much hassle. It would be too risky; I couldn't relax for a second, feeling like if I ever did or said the wrong thing that it would have a disastrous effect on Haruhi and irrevocably lead to the destruction of the world. I've come to accept, and even like having, Haruhi as a friend. She can be a lot of fun, I must admit. But as a serious girlfriend; living in the same home even? No, just too much hassle.

Now Nagato, on the other hand... it's so easy to relax with her around. She can read for hours at a time, freeing me up to do whatever I'd like to do. That's my ideal relationship tempo; someone who you can lazily enjoy the company of, and not feel pressured by. Then when I'm ready for excitement, Haruhi is there to hang out with as a friend... but Nagato's the one that I want to come home to.

I don't think that would be so bad.

Note: If any HaruhiKyon or MikuruKyon shippers are put off by the above, I can write a little blurb like this for your favorite pairing.
Old 2009-08-18, 14:24   Link #189
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

I think the only way you can really satisfy all the shippers is to write a visual novel. >_>
Old 2009-08-18, 14:29   Link #190
swtrooper42
Melancholic Swim Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R
Now Nagato, on the other hand... it's so easy to relax with her around. She can read for hours at a time, freeing me up to do whatever I'd like to do. That's my ideal relationship tempo; someone who you can lazily enjoy the company of, and not feel pressured by. Then when I'm ready for excitement, Haruhi is there to hang out with as a friend... but Nagato's the one that I want to come home to.
So Kyon wants a low-maintenance girlfriend?

Well as a hardcore HaruhiKyon supporter I have to disagree with that statement about Haruhi out of pure loyalty but you are right. But then again, what's life without a little drama?
I've learned that in order to truly love someone, you have to love them despite their obvious flaws and quirks, because they're what make them the person you love.

Can you do a blurb for HaruhiKyon?

Here's a thought, what about TsuruyaKyon? That would be interesting to see play out.

Close Curtains, Thwart Snipers
Sameo, Paladin of Legend
Old 2009-08-18, 14:47   Link #191
A. Esbee
Suffused with Sound

Quote:
Here's a thought, what about TsuruyaKyon? That would be interesting to see play out.
Tsuruya is basically Haruhi without the cosmic consequences ...
Quote:
Same (or at least, I like to think so). Just working at it and reading more can do wonders, though it's great when someone can give real advice.

If you're looking for fic ...
LJ FFN
Old 2009-08-18, 14:58   Link #192
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Esbee View Post
Tsuruya is basically Haruhi without the cosmic consequences ...
Or the general dissatisfaction with life.
Old 2009-08-18, 15:10   Link #193
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtrooper42 View Post
So Kyon wants a low-maintenance girlfriend?
Kyon wants a low-maintenance everything.

Quote:
Can you do a blurb for HaruhiKyon?

Mikuru is such an enlivening and refreshing mixture of cuteness, sweetness, pure heart, buxom breasts, and the most superb vivacious legs... but, I must admit, after watching her be relentlessly groped by Haruhi, I would actually feel dirty and guilty if I were to ever touch Mikuru in a similar way. Nagato is ever my protector, and a reliable goddess to be cherished... but her body language and words mesmerize me too often. She is difficult to understand, and I could never live with somebody that was a complete mystery to me.

But Haruhi... Haruhi's personality resonates like the reverberating sounds of her masterful musical performances. She is certainly an acquired taste that you have to get used to, like the strongest of sakes, but like sake, once you've acquired that taste, you are thoroughly addicted to it. I sense that I could never go back to a peaceful life after my time under Haruhi's chaotic leadership. And, I have to admit, she does look good in a ponytail...

Quote:

I hate predictable endings, and truthfully, me ending up with Haruhi, Nagato, or Mikuru, would be so predictable that the worst fortune-teller in the world could call it from six hundred years in the past. All three have their strong points, of course, but they each have their drawbacks as well. So is there a girl that combines the best of all worlds, and lacks the worst of each? Am I an idealistic fool for even dreaming of such a thing?

Well, yes, I am. But there is someone who comes close at least. Who else but Mikuru's friend Tsuruya, the honorary SOS Brigade member? Oh, how I would love to properly 'honor' her! She has Haruhi's dynamism, but none of Haruhi's bossiness; Mikuru's level of attractiveness, but none of Mikuru's submissiveness; Nagato's loyalty as a friend, but none of Nagato's perplexity. And, perhaps best of all, she's not a god, a time traveler, or an alien-human interface - she can be a normal human girlfriend that keeps me grounded in this whacked out world. So, Tsuruya, how I hope to swim in your luscious green locks, and bath in the symphony of your laugh, and eventually share a life with you, as colorful but realistic as you yourself are.

Hope you liked these two little blurbs.
Old 2009-08-18, 15:20   Link #194
Joe4evr
(Ex-)Seitenkan VN coder

Location: Slightly south-west of the exact center of this country's X and Y axes.
Quote:
I hate predictable endings, and truthfully, me ending up with Haruhi, Nagato, or Mikuru, would be so predictable that the worst fortune-teller in the world could call it from six hundred years in the past.
I think if you made it 500 years, it'd be like a little piece of trivia Kyon would know.
Old 2009-08-18, 15:34   Link #195
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Quote:
in Haruhi's case, if somebody wrote, say, a KyonYuki fic, and did it by having Haruhi suddenly throw Kyon out of the SOS Brigade and be vicious to him
... This is hilarious on so many levels...
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
Old 2009-08-18, 15:41   Link #196
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
... This is hilarious on so many levels...
Haruhi Trump: Kyon?

Kyon, the Apprentice: ...Yes?

Haruhi Trump (doing the quick finger-point thing): You're Fired! I want you out of the SOS Brigade! NOW!!!
Old 2009-08-18, 19:45   Link #197
TakariCritic

While we're talking shipper fics, could someone assist me with one I'm working on? It's a KoizumixTsuruya, and I'd appreciate anyone's input on why they think the relationship might work. I already got the setup, I just need them to click.
Old 2009-08-18, 19:50   Link #198
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

I've seen that pairing before. Was kinda cute, though I'm clueless as to how it'd actually work.
Old 2009-08-18, 19:53   Link #199
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
While we're talking shipper fics, could someone assist me with one I'm working on? It's a KoizumixTsuruya, and I'd appreciate anyone's input on why they think the relationship might work. I already got the setup, I just need them to click.
Lack of competition on both sides?

Seriously, I doubt you'll be stepping on anybody's toes (yaoi fans notwithstanding ) with KoizumixTsuruya.

In complete seriousness, though, they're both generally cheerful and easy-going... or at least tend to appear that way.

Oh... here's a decent angle that you could go with!

Spoiler for General spoilers:

From here on, just create some activities for Tsuruya and Koizumi to do together - it can be just about anything, really, since Koizumi is almost a blank slate as an overall character. He could have all sorts of interests that we don't know about. If nothing else, maybe him and Tsuruya could enjoy watching a baseball game together, or a romance movie.
Old 2009-08-18, 20:07   Link #200
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Or something they can both laugh at. Like picking on Kyon.
Closed Thread

Tags
fanfiction