AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hanasaku Iroha

Notices

Old 2011-04-25, 21:18   Link #1001
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Awesome, awesome, awesome. Okada never fails me, ever.

Nako is my favorite girl here. I loved her interactions with Minko and Ohana. And she's got the ZR too!

I loved the ending though. So far, aside from episode three, we've ended with really powerful notes. The bird at the end was excellent and I love how the title is there at the end. And the OP has grown on me. It was a little too high pitched, but once you get used to it, it's great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
There were some very good heartwarming scenes in this episode. I'm glad Ko didn't fall into oblivion. The flashback where he and Ohana held hands - or rather, a bag- was cute. I feel a bit sorry for him, he's obviously been throwing hints at her for ages, but Miss oblivious never picked up on anything. He should have confessed a lot time ago.
Yes, that was a great scene. He handled it like a pro too. He really should have confessed sooner... but I think it would have worked against him either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
So the new girl, Yuina, seems to be a love rival for Minko. We get a hint that Yuina likes Tohru in her conversation with Ohana, Minko liking Tohru is blatantly made explicit in this episode.. and then there's the ending scene. We still don't know Tohru's reasons or feelings yet though. Is he accompanying Yuina because of love interest, of because of work related issues ? (the two onsen inns).
Tohru brought up Yuina to Ohana. I think he has actual feelings for her.
Quote:
Overall, Tohru reminds me of Isurugi Jun (True Tears, another show written by Okada Mari) for the looks, the bike and how he's usually silent/mysterious yet sometimes spunky.
Tohru is 100 times better though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
Do you find Tohru on a such a level of cruelness and anti-sociality already? He's certainly cold and quite grumpy, but I think it's still early to say he's mean to the core. Minchi talks about him with the eyes of love, we (audience) see him all the other way around, through Ohana.
I think both descriptions are used by the authors as a decoy, and as it often happens, the truth will be somewhere in the middle.
Tohru is a nice guy. He is not anywhere as mean as the grandma. And although he is harsh, he is always helping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
If wikipedia is accurate, Tohru is 23 and Minko is 17.
I didn't piece together the ages yet. These girls aren't out of high school yet! I want to say cradle robber, but it's Japan, sooo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereminVox View Post
I've probably said this before, but the animation in this show is so pretty I could freaking cry.
Yes, the animation and visuals are spectacular. PA Works always amazes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadite View Post
I'm feeling that there will be contrast between the two managers. Both are stern matriarchs but they may differ in some aspects.
Ohana's grandma is the nice one. The other one has the mean, fat lady look. Like the ones who are always antagonizing the other characters with their schemes and "Hohohoho"s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
Yuina struck me as fronting a deliberately wrong persona. She even said she only added the accent for fun. She's probably nothing like how she appears at school. Also I think she does have a crush on Tooru because she mentioned there being a cool guy at their inn, but why did Ohana connect "cool guy" with the pervent author?!?
You know, I was wondering the same thing. He is in no way "cool." Maybe she was trying to think of a zany cool that Yuina would like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
The drama discussion is still going on... Am I really the only one who figured out right away this wasn't going to be a dramatic series? It's always been obvious to me this was going to be a light-hearted coming of age story with bits of drama here and there. And that's exactly what I'm looking for in this series. I watch HanaSaku for the slice of life, and AnoHana for the serious drama. Win-win.

The first episode had more drama than the others, but it was because Ohana was suddenly thrown into a new environment. And even then, there was still a decent amount of comedy and the mood was still not truly dramatic. It seems to me people are blaming this series because it doesn't meet their (mistaken) expectations, and that seems a little unfair to do so.
I really wouldn't mind some read drama here. Okada does it really well. But so far I think we have a really great balance here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irisiel View Post
I also have a suspicion that Tooru might develop a small crush on Ohana. Though I don't know if he would act on it.
Before Yuina's involvement with him, I was thinking the same exact thing. That would really get Minko to truly hate Ohana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
i hope Ko transfers there. i think that would change the dynamic of the show quite a bit. though it would be out of the blue...
I would like that, expect it has to be coincidence. We need some reason for him to go there and it just so happens that Ohana is there as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
You guys are all clairvoyants - I envy your ability to nail down what the next 20 episodes are going to be with such detail...
We need a sub-forum with a speculation thread!
Old 2011-04-25, 23:15   Link #1002
deadite

I'd like to see Jinomaru getting bouts of inspiration throughout the series which culminates later in the series.
deadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-25, 23:58   Link #1003
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
...Tohru brought up Yuina to Ohana. I think he has actual feelings for her....
The problem is that there is a lot of potential career advancement for him in that direction. For a chef to hook up with the heiress of the big resort could end up with him running that resort. So even if he doesn't have feelings for her, he could marry her for his own ends. If he's that kind of guy, which we don't know yet.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-26, 00:14   Link #1004
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Bonus points if we're currently watching the story he wrote.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-26, 00:39   Link #1005
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
No they definitely do. Male characters in shows like these tend to be used as comic relief or obnoxious antagonists only as opposed to real characters with actual depth. You're not supposed to be focusing on them anyway though.
lol, so have you actually tried watching it?

But yea, I always thought each show had a "2 fail male character limit". Typically this consists of one guy who is hilariously inept at communication, usually with the other gender and a clown for comic relief. This is pretty standard and all, but here I just wish to slap most of them.

Well, the old guy is funny.
Quote:
Also sounds like this show is following the rule where any show with an overwhelming female cast that takes place at least partially in a school eventually turns into a slow-paced light comedy no matter how it starts off. In this case the transformation appears to occur the second they get to the school parts and if I had to guess you probably won't see any more drama until the final episodes.
Hmm, that's not too horrific. I wasn't necessarily in it for serious drama, but I sure hope at least the humor will keep up, and not have me rolling me eyes while watching this. Like episode 1 and 2 had me laugh, but the next two didn't. Parts of it were really boring.

So I do hope you are wrong, since I have to admit not being particular in to this kind of genre and I may not even make it to the end at this rate. The show is still watchable though, just disappointing to me regardless of metric. Currently the entire show to me is carried by the main character, if that can change, it'll be fine.

Honestly, I think episode 3 has caused me to be very harsh on this anime, and I have to admit PA Works is not a "brand" I have that much umm... confidence in. But don't give up... yet.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2011-04-26 at 00:54.
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-26, 01:06   Link #1006
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

My favorite character is the heron.

Okay, not really, but herons are cool. Every summer at my parents' lake house, I take my camera and go out on my parents' pedal boat to look for them.

Spoiler for Gratuitous heron photography:

Those herons are blue, though, and the ones out here in Southern California are white. And none of them are as unafraid of people as the one in the anime.

Anyway, on a more on-topic topic, I really like this show so far. Even Episode 3, which soured a lot of people, but the Japanese do that kind of deadpan absurdity really well.

Count me among those who thought it was obvious from the first episode that Minko liked Tohru. I totally didn't see him going for Yuina, though.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-26, 02:07   Link #1007
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Loving this show, Iroha is such a great character.

Can't say Episode 3 bothered me at all...

And the OP has been playing non-stop for the last half hour. XD

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-26, 02:19   Link #1008
revive4563

I like Yuina because I'm a guy but also I'm pretty sure that girls hate her usually.

Quote:
Loving this show, Iroha is such a great character.
Who is Iroha?

Quote:
Awesome, awesome, awesome. Okada never fails me, ever.

Nako is my favorite girl here. I loved her interactions with Minko and Ohana. And she's got the ZR too!

It's first time I learnt that there is an abbreviation named "ZR" (Zettai Ryouiki?)
revive4563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-26, 02:22   Link #1009
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

Spoiler for ep4:
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-26, 02:44   Link #1010
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revive4563 View Post
Who is Iroha?
Are you being serious? It's apart of the name for this series.
Old 2011-04-26, 03:07   Link #1011
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
But is there a character named Iroha?Can't think of one,am I having a major brainfart?
Old 2011-04-26, 03:13   Link #1012
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
But is there a character named Iroha?
Not in this series, not so far at least. There have been characters named Iroha in other series (first coming to mind are Sumomomo Momomo and Oniichan no Koto) but not in this one. It's not the first time I see Ohana being called Iroha either.
Old 2011-04-26, 03:28   Link #1013
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Much to my surprise, Nako has also become my favorite, closely followed by Ohana. There's just nothing to hate about her. Her shyness is perfectly dosed and makes her lovable instead of annoying like some.

& that zettai ryouiki is godly.
Old 2011-04-26, 03:58   Link #1014
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

nako's become my favorite character. isn't it cute when she's thinking of her friend's nicknames?? <3 minko, i dunno what to feel about her feelings for toru (i kinda hate the guy)
BaKaBaKaOtaKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-26, 04:23   Link #1015
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Yami~ View Post
Spoiler for ep4:
No, she'd need to be sweet and gentle most of the type to fit the type, and only turn murderous out of jealousy. As her interactions with Ohana have shown, she's just your common sociopath.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-26, 06:34   Link #1016
ReddyRedWolf

Know what Yuina knowing much about Ohana means one thing... Touru talks about her.

Now what if the reason Yuina talked to her was to scope her out? Potential love rival and all that.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-26, 06:55   Link #1017
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

So, as I've expected, Hanasaku Iroha gets its own sub-forum.

It's my sentimental favourite of the season so far. Unlike most other people, I had no problems even with Ep3, which I had a great kick watching. And I most certainly don't think the series has been "shifting in tone", as some claim.

I find it ironic that some here insist that this show had actually set out to be "serious drama", when they criticise others of imposing predetermined opinions on how other shows are "supposed to develop". Double-standards much?

All in all, I'm looking forward to further adventures with Ohana and friends.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-26, 07:11   Link #1018
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Also sounds like this show is following the rule where any show with an overwhelming female cast that takes place at least partially in a school eventually turns into a slow-paced light comedy no matter how it starts off. In this case the transformation appears to occur the second they get to the school parts and if I had to guess you probably won't see any more drama until the final episodes.
I almost wasn't able to tell that you weren't serious.

I have to agree that, aside from episode three, I haven't noticed a huge shift. The only real source of "drama" that I can think of from episodes one and two were Ohana being introduced to the inn and her grandma, and I'm surprised that people were expecting Ohana to meet the same reception at school as she did in the inn or that it would somehow be amazingly dramatic.

I like how it's going so far. Everyone's need to frame things under "drama" or "comedy" make me wonder if they're seriously expecting the anime to force itself to create melodrama. It's not like this is a story about Ohana's life as she suffers through the brutality of school and work. Of course school is going to be more lighthearted than work. I applaud this anime for trying to tell a story about its characters instead of trying to create a show where everything that happens is pigeon-holed under drama.

Also, congratulations on the subforum. My first thought was to TinyRedLeaf's post, and here he is.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-26, 08:40   Link #1019
Midonin
Last Engage

The constant calling of Jiromaru as a "fail writer" and wondering why they bothered to give him the time of day, while I can see where it's coming from (and he was kind of a jerk at first), episode 3 actually made me feel pretty sympathetic for him. After an incident in 2010 (that was admittedly something I did entirely of my own volition), to see a writer who wants to be successful but has to resort to doing something erotic just to get by - the situation of Jiromaru's fiction and that reality hit me pretty hard. That he was a bumbler beneath it all just further increased my opinion. When you can't even do wrong right, that incites pity, which incites sympathy.

And in the end, he's one guy with a dream that he wants to achieve. Rejecting him and treating him as subpar will only make the chance of that dream being achieved and him finding happiness even less. I can't claim to speak for all the writers of the world, but in the case of this particular writer, I will gladly speak up.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-26, 08:55   Link #1020
revive4563

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Then...why did he mention it here?

Well, actually Iroha is girl's name in Japan but heroine's name is Ohana.
So, it's confusing the title of this series named "Hanasaku Iroha".(Blooming Iroha)
Even if the word Iroha has meaning of "beginner" too as an archaic word but even in Japan, only few people know that. (possibly it's Ohana's nickname?)

btw Congrats on the independence!
revive4563 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, coming of age, drama, p.a. works, pa works, romance, slice of life