AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 02
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 36 19.78%
9 out of 10: Excellent... 49 26.92%
8 out of 10: Very Good... 43 23.63%
7 out of 10: Good... 32 17.58%
6 out of 10: Average... 16 8.79%
5 out of 10: Below Average... 1 0.55%
4 out of 10: Poor... 2 1.10%
3 out of 10: Bad... 1 0.55%
2 out of 10: Very Bad... 0 0%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 2 1.10%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-07-14, 20:27   Link #141
Swordstriker21
Oshite mairu!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
Well I'm glad someone finally said it...us anime only fans do fill like we're the only ones enjoying to show so fare.
Again that's the bane of novel readers. You'd think we've already learned our lesson from Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings but no...

Anyway for the anime-only viewers out there please speak your thoughts so far. As a longtime fan of the series in general I'm very interested in what you folks have to say
Old 2012-07-14, 20:28   Link #142
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Oh, as for my stance as an anime-watcher, I don't particularly feel like I missed out on anything. I mean I don't doubt for a second that the LN's are much more detailed about stuff. But for example, take the food scene.

It conveyed a number of things, namely

1) Asuna isn't very social and probably doesn't mingle much at all, which is later confirmed by her noobisheness as far as party mechanics are concerned.
2) Players apparently can, and possibly need to, eat food. And apparently can taste it as well, which, considering the game's interface, isn't that strange.
3) The game has a fair number of miscelleanous quests that give only small rewards like the cream, other taste enhances probably exist as well.
4) Kirito actually has actually been doing some of these miscelleanous quests, either as part of his plan to get stronger (by gaining XP), or he actually did them to get a bit of enjoyment out of an otherwise pretty grim and life threatening situation, or possibly a combination of both.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 20:42   Link #143
Archmagination2002

They did cut a lot of parts out and didn't explain much, but it still was a enjoyable episode.(unlike campione!)

It was only alluded to and never shown in this episode and nobody has mentioned it here but the battle was slightly different.

Spoiler for Fleshing out of the Battle:
Archmagination2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 20:42   Link #144
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
That "beater" nickname is kinda stupid, but the episode was exceptional in all other areas, so I'll let that go. I just hope it's not a name that sticks (>.>)...

Kinda felt like they skipped some content from the woods to the boss's door. Asuna didnt' even know about "Switching", so I expected a little side tutorial like in the first episode's Kiri/Klein explanation regarding it. Of course there probably were some battles from when they entered the first floor to the boss's door, but I can live without that in order to get to the meat of the story.

Once again, Kirito impressed me in this episode; not by his fighting prowess, but his decision to make himself the bad guy so that everyone else wouldn't stop trusting each other. Even though it wouldn't be in his character to do so, I thought he'd mention about Diabel being a beta tester, but he reluctantly took all the blame for himself, becoming what seemed the opposite of his char's personality for everyone else. Oh, and when he equipped that armor, that just made him look so badass =03.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 20:46   Link #145
Swordstriker21
Oshite mairu!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
Oh, as for my stance as an anime-watcher, I don't particularly feel like I missed out on anything. I mean I don't doubt for a second that the LN's are much more detailed about stuff. But for example, take the food scene.

It conveyed a number of things, namely

1) Asuna isn't very social and probably doesn't mingle much at all, which is later confirmed by her noobisheness as far as party mechanics are concerned.
2) Players apparently can, and possibly need to, eat food. And apparently can taste it as well, which, considering the game's interface, isn't that strange.
3) The game has a fair number of miscelleanous quests that give only small rewards like the cream, other taste enhances probably exist as well.
4) Kirito actually has actually been doing some of these miscelleanous quests, either as part of his plan to get stronger (by gaining XP), or he actually did them to get a bit of enjoyment out of an otherwise pretty grim and life threatening situation, or possibly a combination of both.
I feel compelled to thank you for actually being pretty sensitive to these kinds of little details And you're mostly right. Finally! An observant viewer. You don't know how many so called "anime fans" I've encountered who watched shows but didn't really understand a thing about said show. Because of the nature of this adaptation I do hope others are also able to read between the lines and not just pay attention to the cute girls or spiffy action scenes. Though I admit those really are pretty distracting
Old 2012-07-14, 20:47   Link #146
Axiszero
The Forsaken Lurker

Damn the whole episode was good hope the next few boss fights will be as intense

Poor Argo was cut out D:
Axiszero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 20:50   Link #147
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
Once again, Kirito impressed me in this episode; not by his fighting prowess, but his decision to make himself the bad guy so that everyone else wouldn't stop trusting each other. Even though it wouldn't be in his character to do so, I thought he'd mention about Diabel being a beta tester, but he reluctantly took all the blame for himself, becoming what seemed the opposite of his char's personality for everyone else. Oh, and when he equipped that armor, that just made him look so badass =03.
He is the hero SAO needs but does not deserve...
Old 2012-07-14, 20:50   Link #148
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

The "beater" nickname probably follows some weird alien Japanese logic. Being some kind of pun between "beta", and "beater" (which in japan would probably be pronounced "biita")
Old 2012-07-14, 20:55   Link #149
Hmm....

Beater actually come from Beta + Cheater
Yes, still pretty stupid I know ^^"
Hmm.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 20:58   Link #150
Swordstriker21
Oshite mairu!!!

Hey it was coined by a Japanese writer. And he played Ragnarok Online and got his inspiration from there. If you're familiar w/ that MMO and actually know how old that game is you'll at least forgive Kawahara for the corney portmanteau.

@Dark Wing Surprisingly fitting since both Wayne and Kirito have the predilection to wear things black^^
Old 2012-07-14, 21:00   Link #151
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Well, at least I was right on the "weird alien Japanese logic" bit.
Old 2012-07-14, 21:02   Link #152
Rovert10

I think a lot of malice was due to the hype of the LN and episode 1.

We were like "OMFG SAO ANIME!1!!11!1!" at the beginning.

Episode 1 comes along we were like "OMG THIS IS AMAZING!!!11!1!"

Once episode 2 came out and didn't meet the standard set by the first, people tend to go "WTF IS THIS S***!"
Rovert10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 21:06   Link #153
Swordstriker21
Oshite mairu!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovert10 View Post

Once episode 2 came out and didn't meet the standard set by the first, people tend to go "WTF IS THIS S***!"
Guilty as charged...
Old 2012-07-14, 21:11   Link #154
Hmm....

I still demand sucidal Asuna
Hmm.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 21:14   Link #155
SRanger
Remember, no moe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovert10 View Post

lel. same here.
Old 2012-07-14, 21:31   Link #156
Somnus
Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Have you never seen another television anime ?
Haha, it's true and as an avid fan of Dragonball Z before I got into anime I should be no stranger to fights ranging from lackluster to completely awesome. I just felt the instant switch from the awesome intro charge to the still frame co-ordination attacks somewhat jarring.

On the other hand, I am completely loving how they're handling the glow effects and the sword skills.
Old 2012-07-14, 21:43   Link #157
hoshino_crimsonwings

Perfect! I loved this episode, almost exactly like how I pictured the fights in the novel.
Old 2012-07-14, 21:43   Link #158
Bombo
TSF Fans

Diabel was great leader raid but in the end dead from greed items
But i like him how to giving orders to others.
Bombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 21:47   Link #159
Iron Maw
Banned

While weaker than the premiere, I thought it was pretty good episode overall. The reactions to this thread just shows people where hyping this series too hard.

At this point the thing I'm most worried about is the production. I didn't think series would be keep up with quality of the first episode, however the second brought a noticeable decline. I pretty disappointing half the Kobold fight consisted of nothing but still shots. I was also expecting more elaborate movement for the sword/weapon techniques rather than pans and bright flashes. But since everyone is probably barely past Lv 10, I guess I'm expecting too much.

Content-wise it was pretty decent. Asuna seems alright, but I'm pretty baffled how she could not know where to finally basic player info is despite being called a skilled player. I also found it pretty weird that Kirito decided to attack the boss with just himself and Asuna instead of having the other players help out. Lastly what's everyone using only melee weapons anyway? How about some bows or magic here?

Aside from that it was a good setup episode. 7/10
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 21:51   Link #160
Rovert10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
How about some bows or magic here?
It was said in Episode 1 that those don't exist in SAO
Rovert10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weekly episode discussion