AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2006-01-02, 16:57   Link #1
AisuruMirai
箱者

Can't erase CD-RWs

Occasionally, when I insert a CD-RW with some files on it, the task menu shows no "Erase this CD-RW" option. Usually it will show up if I reboot. Even so, the disc will often fail to be erased: The orange progress bar shows that the process is complete, & the files disappear from the D:\ window, but then they immediately reappear, along with the "Erase this CD-RW" option in the task menu. I do have "Allow recording on this drive" selected; I know that that isn't the problem. Also, I know that it's not a disc problem because I just deleted a disc using another computer. I am using Windows XP Home for this, not any external disc-burning program. I have tried uninstalling the drive & having it automatically detected on reboot, but the problem persists. Also, I just found out that the disc that I erased using another computer is now stuck in the tray. Another reboot.

Thanks in advance for your knowledge & advice.
アイスル未来
AisuruMirai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-02, 17:03   Link #2
bayoab

Do you happen to have a Dell 8XXX series desktop? This sounds like a problem that my former school had with that series and the cd writer drives.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-02, 18:03   Link #3
AisuruMirai
箱者

As a matter of fact:

Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop with HL-DT-ST GCC-4240N CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive.

The computer is, I think, more than 5 years old & seems to be falling apart: In the last few months, I've replaced the power cord, the battery, & the hard drive (b/c I knocked the laptop to the floor). Can you tell me about your former school's solution, if there was one. It's probably not that expensive, but I don't want to have to replace the disc drive, too.

アイスル未来
Old 2006-01-03, 00:21   Link #4
bayoab

The short of it was laser problems, but this was for the desktop models. This sort of sounds like the same problem, but you would have to check that the software is actually working first.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-03, 13:33   Link #5
Komataguri
Reverend K-Rist

Send a message via AIM to Komataguri
To go slightly off topic.

If you are using the RWs like floppies, to just move data around quickly without any concern for the longevity then forget what I'm about to say.

but in my experaince, both with quality and budget media, CD-RW media is not stable for long storage. Specially after several burns. i would seriously reccomend changing to CD R media if you are trying to save data for the long term.

Also, If you want data to last the long term, burn it at the SLOWEST OPTION POSSIBLE. It will take a while to burn, but it will make the media MUCH more stable for longterm storage.

All this is aplicable to DVDs to,a nd just about any other optical media. Stay away from CD-RW unless you are just looking for a quick means to transfer files from point a to point b, and always burn at the slowest possible speed.
Komataguri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-03, 19:24   Link #6
AisuruMirai
箱者

I was using them to keep programs temporarily before I had enough to fill a whole CD. I would, for example, put episode 55 of Monster on a CD-RW that already had 53 & 54 on it, & then, after I got 56, would copy the 3 from the CD-RW to my hard drive, burn 53-56 to a CD-R, & erase the CD-RW. I used to keep one or two CD-RWs for each show I was following, but now a have a 300GB external hard drive & an 80GB internal (the old one that I broke was 30GB), so I don't really need the CD-RWs anymore. It's really not that big a deal to lack the ability to erase them, then, but it's a bit inconvenient & I wanted to know if it's something I can easily fix. It doesn't seem so: I ran the diagnostics disc & received an error telling me that the drive needs to be replaced. I'll just have to use another computer to erase CD-RWs & hope that my drive doesn't stop burning or reading anytime soon.

Thanks for your time. & your advice about burning, Komataguri. To continue off-topic: I burn at 2X; would it make much difference to burn at 1X?

アイスル未来

Last edited by AisuruMirai; 2006-01-03 at 19:43.
Old 2006-01-03, 21:59   Link #7
Komataguri
Reverend K-Rist

Send a message via AIM to Komataguri
nah, 2x is pretty low. I'd go 1x if you didn't need the PC for awhile tho.

As far as the CD-RWs...You can only write to them so many times...Sounds like you are just reaching your maximums on certain disks.
Komataguri is offline   Reply With Quote