AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2008-01-08, 00:04   Link #21
Kristen
*Author

The next president is going to be sworn in over a year from now, and this election stuff is already getting annoying.

In all reality, I don't care who gets in, as long as he/she pulls America out of Iraq. I'd love to see Clinton get in, since the last Clinton we had made an economy boom. But it doesn't really matter.

Regardless, I am writing Al Gore in at the primary.
Old 2008-01-08, 00:05   Link #22
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Frankly, I spend time here to escape from that stuff for a while...

Ron Paul I've grown up with.. he's a wingnut but he's consistently libertarian --- so he pisses off social conservatives as much as big-govt liberals.

However, since I think the Republicans need and deserve a Long Time Out... I'm rather hoping Huckabee wins the Repub nomination versus Obama (or Edwards or Biden).
That way its settled... either we're a fascist theocracy doomed to eventual irrelevance or we're actually going to remember the "city-state" needs a collective investment in the infrastructure (health, education, etc) to stay competitive on the global scene.
Old 2008-01-08, 00:12   Link #23
ApostleOfGod
^.^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina View Post
You should make this thread into a poll and see what results come about from the AS community
Thanks. I'll see what I can do about that.

Edit: Maybe if I don't get lazy, I might put up a poll of the few most likely to be elected presidential candidates,
I just hope it's not considered double posting?

One is to live life as if nothing is a miracle.

The other way is to live life as though everything is a miracle.
ApostleOfGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-08, 00:18   Link #24
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApostleOfGod View Post
Thanks. I'll see what I can do about that.

Edit: Maybe if I don't get lazy, I might put up a poll of the few most likely to be elected presidential candidates,
Don't. It'll probably get deleted.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-08, 00:22   Link #25
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
I bet you anything that if a Democrat (any) had won the 2000/2001 elections, people would probably be saying the same thing about him right now. While Bush has his faults (like being stupid), I think the blame is not solely to be placed on him. As I stated before, Congress acted ridiculously quickly, with almost no deliberation at all, which under different circumstances would have perhaps allowed them to forsee future consequences.

And even if a Democrat hadn't decided to invade Afghanistan after 9/11, people would be saying he was spineless and that he/she wasn't committed to protecting the country. Either way, people won't be happy.
Possibly, but it's not like we'll ever know, the past is the past.

Bush don't really do too much, he's just a figure for the republican party and his cabinet, much like the queen of england.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-08, 01:40   Link #26
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

One thing I like about Hillary is that if she gets elected things are going to change.

now, if that's a good or bad thing, I don't really know, LMAO
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-08, 01:43   Link #27
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
I can understand the Hilary hate, but why the Bill hate lol? I thought he was our most decent president in quite a while. He did have the white house scandal with the cheating, but that is utterly ridiculous to discredit a president based on that. Check the economy then, and the economy now. TY George, you're a great man...
No, it's not. As President, he represented the country and its ideals. To have someone as immoral as that as President is utterly unacceptable. After all, what kind of message would that not only send to our own people, but people all over the world? Not a good one, certainly.
Old 2008-01-08, 01:45   Link #28
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissieXD View Post
Regardless, I am writing Al Gore in at the primary.
Please tell me your joking. I thought we were going for an intelligent person this time. Al Gore is just as stupid, if not more stupid, than George Bush is.
Old 2008-01-08, 02:00   Link #29
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
No, it's not. As President, he represented the country and its ideals. To have someone as immoral as that as President is utterly unacceptable. After all, what kind of message would that not only send to our own people, but people all over the world? Not a good one, certainly.
I believe private affairs should be kept out of political affairs. I got a question for you... I'm sure you heard of our founding fathers Alexander Hamilton and Benjamin Franklin. What do you think of these men in history? Men with unacceptable conduct? If you've studied American history you should know that Ben Frank was sort of a play boy and that Hamilton had an affair during his life. Are we going to downsize them for this? They were pretty much like Clinton, but we give great due respect to them. I'm sorry, but if a guy acts savagely in his private life and does whatever immoral practice (Within legal jurisdiction at least), but is a good leader, then I could give a rats-ass about what he does. A President needs the ability to be a good leader, he doesn't need to be mother Teresa.

EDIT: Oh yea, AL Gore is a fricken hypocrite. He talks about saving the world and yada yada yada, but consumes like 27 times the amount natural resources as a normal person. He doesn't have fluorescent light bulbs, wastes oil with his private jets, and drives a freaking Suburban. If you're trying to make a statement, follow it up your own damn self first.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-08, 02:07   Link #30
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
I believe private affairs should be kept out of political affairs. I got a question for you... I'm sure you heard of our founding fathers Alexander Hamilton and Benjamin Franklin. What do you think of these men in history? Men with unacceptable conduct? If you've studied American history you should know that Ben Frank was sort of a play boy and that Hamilton had an affair during his life. Are we going to downsize them for this? They were pretty much like Clinton, but we give great due respect to them. I'm sorry, but if a guy acts savagely in his private life and does whatever immoral practice (Within legal jurisdiction at least), but is a good leader, then I could give a rats-ass about what he does. A President needs the ability to be a good leader, he doesn't need to be mother Teresa.

EDIT: Oh yea, AL Gore is a fricken hypocrite. He talks about saving the world and yada yada yada, but consumes like 27 times the amount natural resources as a normal person. He doesn't have fluorescent light bulbs, wastes oil with his private jets, and drives a freaking Suburban. If you're trying to make a statement, follow it up your own damn self first.
Maybe, but the fact is that he WAS found out and in case you forgot, CLINTON LIED WHILE UNDER OATH. If that doesn't make him unfit to be President in and of itself, Hell, I don't know what would.

And yes, I definitely agree that Al Gore is a huge hypocrite. However, I wonder if any of the current presidential candidates are like that? I should find out.
Old 2008-01-08, 02:09   Link #31
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatochobit View Post
One thing I like about Hillary is that if she gets elected things are going to change.

now, if that's a good or bad thing, I don't really know, LMAO
I wouldn't mind. A female prez would definately change things around here. She would get lots of vote from the female voter just cause she's a female.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-08, 02:38   Link #32
Edgewalker
Nani ?

I haven't look much into them all to decide yet, but it will likely be either Obama or Hillary ( Bill Clinton in the role of "first gentlemen" cracks me up every time I think of it ) for me assuming she doesn't flop out.

Really as long as its not fundygelical nutcase Huckabee, all is good.
Edgewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-08, 02:46   Link #33
Kamui4356
Aria Company

As of now, I'm undecided for president. I'm leaning towards Obama at the moment, but I am concerned about his lack of experience. After all, he's only a first term senator. Though part of me is ratonalizing that as actually a good thing, as it means less exposure to the corruption in Washington.

I'd be less inclined to vote for Hillary Clinton, as I'm tired of the political dynasties in the White House. I thought Bill Clinton did a pretty good job as president, but then again I don't think the first Bush did a horrible job either, and look how his son's presidency went even with many of the same people advising him. Just because Hillary is married to a former president I liked doesn't mean she'll do a good job, and I haven't really seen anything from her that stands out.

On the republican side, the only one I might consider voting for is Giuliani, but I'll have to see the stances he takes in the general election. Personally I think he's playing conservative in the primaries as the policies he enacted as mayor of New York certainly seem to suggest different political leanings than he's presently claiming. Of course it's entirely possible he has changed his mind on some things too.

Though in all honesty, I don't like any of the candiates. After Bushy we really need a great president to restore our position in the world and get the country moving again, and I just don't see it in any of the candidates.
Old 2008-01-08, 03:12   Link #34
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

Quote:
Maybe, but the fact is that he WAS found out and in case you forgot, CLINTON LIED WHILE UNDER OATH. If that doesn't make him unfit to be President in and of itself, Hell, I don't know what would.
So he committed perjury during the trial, big deal. The man put dollars back into government coffers (nearly a trillion 90's era dollars). The only time in recent history that the nation WASN'T in debt was Clinton's second term, in fact he ended with a tidy surplus of some 400 billion. As long as the president has leadership skills and good fiscal policy, I don't care if he has a harem on the side. Personal integrity has nothing to do with being a good president. Jefferson's affair with Sally Hemings anyone? Just to name one example.

We seriously need another Bill Clinton right about now, but I just don't see that in Hillary.
Old 2008-01-08, 04:22   Link #35
ChibiMenos
Gillian-class Chibi

When it comes to politics, I just can't bring myself to care that much. Or maybe it would be better to say, I just don't care about the politicians. It's the policy that's important, and really we don't get to see very much in the way of substantial plans during campaigning. And often there's not a lot to go on when it comes to past decisions and stuff, since politicians seem as if they change their minds an awful lot...

I might be willing to go with McCain, since he's definitely shown the ability to work with both (major) parties, but I just can't see him getting the nomination. I can hope, though.

Otherwise, I probably won't vote--unless I really distrust one of the contenders, in which case I suppose I'll have to choose the other.

btw, it really really bothers me when people start going on about how Clinton will automatically get loads of female votes because she's a woman. It seems like a really sexist view... and since I know this forum's population is actually fairly intelligent, it's both surprising and disappointing. It's like saying she'll get tons of male votes because she has breasts, or something like that--it just doesn't make any sense. Women choose who they vote for the same way men do--everyone's method is different, and I would hope that most people, of both sexes make their choice based on substance, or at least personality, rather than some more superficial trait...
ChibiMenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-08, 05:10   Link #36
Sakura_Kinomoto
Kaede/Ama Fan boy

Meh, if i wanted any 2 parties Leading america they would be either the American Communist party or to have Haruhi Suzumiya as Americas President shed be a great female president
Sakura_Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-08, 05:42   Link #37
Atlantis_Lux
Nightingale

Quote:
Living outside US, I assure you that we don't exactly care about what your President does when he's closed up in his office with his assistant, not even when he lies under oath about a matter that only concerns his private life.
Other Presidents have sent much worst messages to the world, like when they invaded a foreign country against all the international laws and regulations.

Regarding the poll, I got this Dennis Kucinich, but I would vote for anyone, Democrats or Republican (regardless the gender or the color), who was realist about international politic, and idealist at home.
Atlantis_Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-08, 07:10   Link #38
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

I believe private affairs should be kept out of political affairs.

uh, no. If a president divorces his wife and then within 6 months marries a girl half his age, well that says something about his character.

how old is this girl the french president wants to marry?

if a person is open in public about being morally unethical, what do you think he's going to be doing behind closed doors?

that is why it's important to know what the president is doing. it is also why it's important to have open public records of who is visiting the white house.
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-08, 07:47   Link #39
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
I believe private affairs should be kept out of political affairs.

uh, no. If a president divorces his wife and then within 6 months marries a girl half his age, well that says something about his character.

if a person is open in public about being morally unethical, what do you think he's going to be doing behind closed doors?

that is why it's important to know what the president is doing. it is also why it's important to have open public records of who is visiting the white house.
Last time I checked, divorcing your wife and marrying someone half her age is called "The American Dream".

Okay, maybe not .
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-08, 08:10   Link #40
Atlantis_Lux
Nightingale

Quote:

Eheh... well, she looks great but she's not that young. She's 41 and he's 53.
Atlantis_Lux is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
debate, elections, politics, united_states