AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2008-09-17, 01:32   Link #12021
ShinyaKyoto

Send a message via AIM to ShinyaKyoto Send a message via Yahoo to ShinyaKyoto
I was aware of the changes made to the story so I used these in most of the chapters, the upcoming chapter 4 is a great of this example. I'm not saying which scenes i used these changes in.. but it will become clear in due time. As for how I casted Kyonko, well I heard her Kagami voice and thought that she would make a great voice for her.

Last edited by ShinyaKyoto; 2008-09-17 at 01:42.
ShinyaKyoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-17, 01:39   Link #12022
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Haruhi is forgivable because of her tits. That's the only reason.

She's a horrible, horrible, horrible, horrible bitch to everyone and everything throughout the entire story up until (chronologically) Live Alive.
I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. After founding the SOS Brigade, the only people she's undeniably cruel to are Mikuru and the computer club, neither of which really stops after the point you brought up(although she's a bit nicer to the latter group after DoS). The only other person who generally gets this from her is Kyon, but he's proven time and time again that he could stop her if he really wanted. She may be unbearable at times, but that's due to her endless supply of energy, not the way she treats people.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Kogetsu Shirogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-17, 01:43   Link #12023
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discreet View Post
I didn't really pay that much attention to (or edited) the beginning chapters when Haruki is completely unapproachable.

And I should've been more specific. I've already tried so far to keep his gigantic assholeness in check in my edits, but what I'm referring to at the moment is when Kyonko first meets Haruki. In that entire portion of the story, he is an incredible prick beyond all measures.

But I agree that we should make Haruki a Jerkass (for lack of a better term) TO A POINT.

A Jerkass character is NOT meant to be hated, but accepted as another part of the cast, albeit a particularly negative/unpleasant one, it's just that creator's miscalculate their unpleasantness and the audience starts hating their guts.
*headdesk*

A Jerkass is meant to be unlikable. The cast is supposed to dislike them. That's the point.

Haruhi is an incredible bitch beyond all measures in the beginning chapters and, indeed, in the first few novels. Just check the MASSIVE discussion on the Haruhi Just Bugs Me page.

Logically, everyone should hate Haruhi, but she has tits so she gets away with everything.

So, your idea is that we should derail the character from the original intent in order to please you? I don't understand your reasoning.

Gah, this discussion is just making me hate Haruhi...

Just a few of the things she's done:

-Kidnapped and effectively raped Mikuru (constantly)
-Used Mikuru's body as blackmail and coercion
-Got Mikuru drunk in order to get her to kiss Koizumi
-Subjugated and kidnapped several more unwilling individuals
-And basically run Kyon and Koizumi ragged trying to keep her happy.

She. Is not. A good. Person.

Not EVIL, but certainly not a good person. She is getting BETTER, though, as evidenced by her increased interaction with her classmates and changing views on her brigade.

The only reason she gets away with anything is because she's a girl.

And that's the point of Seitenkan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. After founding the SOS Brigade, the only people she's undeniably cruel to are Mikuru and the computer club, neither of which really stops after the point you brought up(although she's a bit nicer to the latter group after DoS). The only other person who generally gets this from her is Kyon, but he's proven time and time again that he could stop her if he really wanted. She may be unbearable at times, but that's due to her endless supply of energy, not the way she treats people.
She's fairly horrible to Kyon, too, making constant unreasonable demands of him that he can't refuse without her DESTROYING THE UNIVERSE.

Koizumi is in the same boat, but he takes initiative so she doesn't have to demand anything from him.

And she does get quite a bit nicer to Mikuru over time, and has pretty much stopped cosraping her by Vol. 7...

And she's not any nicer to the Computer Club President. Ever.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-17, 01:54   Link #12024
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Kyon's an Unreliable Narrator, who is either exaggerating Haruhi's treatment or trying (poorly) to hide the fact that he's actually enjoying it. Added to the fact that he doesn't take initiative, ever, and it's hard to say how cruel her treatment of him really is.

And I said the computer club as a whole. Aside from getting the computer in the first volume, the only time she's ever acted apprehensive towards them was when they initiated the "conflict."
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Kogetsu Shirogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-17, 02:19   Link #12025
Jintor

A drop-kick to the head is not acceptable behaviour when somebody challenges you to a computer game.
Jintor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-17, 03:03   Link #12026
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well one has to know one is challenging you to a computer game...rather than Haruhi's over active imagination where she thinks they are her enemies and challenging the SOS to...well something else.
Old 2008-09-17, 03:30   Link #12027
Cat Megex
Seitenkan no Greeter

Send a message via AIM to Cat Megex Send a message via Yahoo to Cat Megex
Besides, wasn't it a flying kick rather than a dropkick? Or was that just in the anime?
Cat Megex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-17, 06:29   Link #12028
Jintor

I don't even know anymore. But the fact remains that actually attacking somebody else is not an acceptable standard of behaviour, no matter how crazy you are.
Jintor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-17, 12:49   Link #12029
unmoldedtruck

Send a message via AIM to unmoldedtruck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Well one has to know one is challenging you to a computer game...rather than Haruhi's over active imagination where she thinks they are her enemies and challenging the SOS to...well something else.
As long as Haruhi intended to cause a harmful or offensive contact and she did, she's liable for battery under US common law.
unmoldedtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-17, 13:54   Link #12030
Cat Megex
Seitenkan no Greeter

Send a message via AIM to Cat Megex Send a message via Yahoo to Cat Megex
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanbrew View Post
As long as Haruhi intended to cause a harmful or offensive contact and she did, she's liable for battery under US common law.
1. She's in Japan, not the US. I don't know what the Japanese laws regarding that are, though.
2. The US has common law?

EDIT: Oh, okay, any country that has courts with the ability to make binding rulings on cases which involve situations not expressly addressed in codified laws (or something like that) has a form of common law. I misunderstood the meaning of "common law" (not sure what I actually misunderstood it as, though).
Cat Megex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-17, 14:26   Link #12031
unmoldedtruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Megex View Post
1. She's in Japan, not the US. I don't know what the Japanese laws regarding that are, though.
2. The US has common law?

EDIT: Oh, okay, any country that has courts with the ability to make binding rulings on cases which involve situations not expressly addressed in codified laws (or something like that) has a form of common law. I misunderstood the meaning of "common law" (not sure what I actually misunderstood it as, though).
Yeah sorry. I'm just making my weird law school jokes.
Old 2008-09-17, 14:51   Link #12032
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Megex View Post
I think Japan's current legal system is based off of the American one...?

So yeah, that counts as assault, definitely.

Discreet, I want you to edit what you already haven't, given how retarded the Prologue sounds, especially now...

Edit: Fixed the retarded part, prologue is fine now. I'll post here when I'm done re-editing Chapter One, and you can look over it.

Also, more random theories: If there are four junior highs in the city, and one of them is East Junior, does that mean there's also a West Junior, South Junior, and North Junior?

And does that mean that there are also four high schools named after the cardinal directions?

We've already been introduced to two "gods", one from East Junior... where did Sasaki and Kyon go to middle school? West Junior?

I mean, it'd make more sense if the city was Kyoto and not Nishinomiya, but still...

Further observation: Taniguchi eats a hell of a lot and somehow still keeps her figure. Must be because all the calories go into her stupidity or something.

Further further observation: If someone posted, we could be having a conversation right now.

Last edited by Tyabann; 2008-09-17 at 16:29.
Old 2008-09-17, 17:05   Link #12033
vivify93

Send a message via MSN to vivify93
Why are you all giving me this great time-wasting reading material and these excellent faux-drama CDs when I don't have my own private Internet in my own room!? I'm on rationed time here, people. I'M ON RATIONED TIIIIIIIIIME!!!
Old 2008-09-17, 17:08   Link #12034
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Someone posted! The Internet is not dead! HOORAY!
Old 2008-09-17, 17:41   Link #12035
ShinyaKyoto

Alright, Thanks, i'll be sure to change the Prologue with the new one, i'll have to talk with Kyonko's VA about this.
Old 2008-09-17, 18:51   Link #12036
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyaKyoto View Post
Alright, Thanks, i'll be sure to change the Prologue with the new one, i'll have to talk with Kyonko's VA about this.
Just relaaaaaaaax, and wait until the entirety of Vol. 1 is finalized. I'm changing around little bits and pieces of dialogue, removing some inconsistencies, notably the whole "bride" subplot which I thought was retarded except for a couple lines.

I should have the finalized version done in about a week or two, depending on how often and how fast Discreet posts.
Old 2008-09-17, 19:07   Link #12037
ShinyaKyoto

Alright...

Also....

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm4564175

I found this while searching though Nico Nico Douga...
Old 2008-09-17, 19:28   Link #12038
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

There can be a "North, East, West..whatever" school in a cty without there being a second of its type. It is generally the second school in the city (or the one the naming board got lazy one) after the main school. I've seen instances of this, but usually they have the City's name in the school's title.

Of course it might be alittle more strange than that. Say the school did have the cities name in it at one time...and then for some reason the city's name changed (or the city was North Kyoto, or something and then became its own city name), but the schools couldn't get the named changed completely for some reason...so they just dropped the city name and kept North in there printed materials. Over time this became the accepted name of the school (possibly the official name over time).

This is sort of like the Oakland (or San Francisco) "Bay Bridge". That isn't the bridges name really...but that is what it has been called for well over 70 year. It is actually The James "Sunny Jim" Rolph Bridge. No one calls it that. In fact practically no one knew it was called that since the day it was finished. To everyone around it, and most anyone else, it is just "The Bay Bridge". Same could be true for Haruhi's school.
Old 2008-09-17, 20:12   Link #12039
unmoldedtruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
So yeah, that counts as assault, definitely.
It doesn't. From the Restatement (Second) of Torts, section 21:

Quote:
(1) An actor is subject to liability to another for assault if

(a) he acts intending to cause a harmful or offensive contact with the person of the other or a third person, or an imminent apprehension of such a contact, and

(b) the other is thereby put in such imminent apprehension.
It's battery. From the Restatement section 13:

Quote:
An actor is subject to liability to another for battery if

(a) he acts intending to cause a harmful or offensive contact to with the person of the other or a third person, or an imminent apprehension of such a contact, and

(b) a harmful contact with the person of the other directly or indirectly results.
In other words, I need a life away from school.
Old 2008-09-17, 22:22   Link #12040
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
There can be a "North, East, West..whatever" school in a cty without there being a second of its type. It is generally the second school in the city (or the one the naming board got lazy one) after the main school. I've seen instances of this, but usually they have the City's name in the school's title.

Of course it might be alittle more strange than that. Say the school did have the cities name in it at one time...and then for some reason the city's name changed (or the city was North Kyoto, or something and then became its own city name), but the schools couldn't get the named changed completely for some reason...so they just dropped the city name and kept North in there printed materials. Over time this became the accepted name of the school (possibly the official name over time).

This is sort of like the Oakland (or San Francisco) "Bay Bridge". That isn't the bridges name really...but that is what it has been called for well over 70 year. It is actually The James "Sunny Jim" Rolph Bridge. No one calls it that. In fact practically no one knew it was called that since the day it was finished. To everyone around it, and most anyone else, it is just "The Bay Bridge". Same could be true for Haruhi's school.
What really got me is that there are four Junior Highs in particular... but that's just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanbrew View Post
*snip*
Semantics.

Tags
genderbender, seitenkan