AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-12-13, 15:42   Link #18241
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
They want less taxes for the rich.

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Old 2011-12-13, 16:14   Link #18242
solomon

Also Tea Party people along with other (certain) conservatives generally never say anything bad about security budgets.

To me it's part of the whole anti-terrorism (muslim) kick but that fear still has enough traction amongst enough of the populace in addition to people being distracted by their severly pinched wallets.
Old 2011-12-13, 16:28   Link #18243
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Interestingly enough, by the Constitution, an order to enforce that legislation to a member of the military is likely to be considered an illegal order and no obeyed.

You'll note that the military and the veterans in Congress seem to be against the idea.
Old 2011-12-13, 16:33   Link #18244
solomon

Profile on Group who pushed Lowes into pulling ads from Muslim Reality Show

http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/12/13/...y-of-protests/

I'm getting sick and tired of these stupidass hardcore right wingers making a mockery of our inclusionist culture. It was blacks, asians, catholics, orthodox, jews, now muslims......Jesus Friggin Christ.

The leader said 99.9% of Muslims believe in Sharia law........

Overlooking the nuances of believe in Sharia or conservative doctrines or it's effect on western cultures and society, HE SAID 99.9%. What kind of idiot puts out those Putin or Iran Republic type numbers. What scares me is PEOPLE BUY IT.

What gets me about these people is that they don't get that this blatant racist dumbassery can easily lead to average everyday Muslims NOT try to integrate and just radicalize.

Sorry, if this is rambling but I am seriously getting tired of this shit.
Old 2011-12-13, 16:48   Link #18245
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Note: clarification on the new legislation: It does not effect US Citizens. Therfore what I said was incorrect, as it would only be an illegal order if the military was ordered to detain a US Citizen.

As seen here:
Quote:
part of SEC. 1022.

(b) APPLICABILITY TO UNITED STATES CITIZENS

AND LAWFUL RESIDENT ALIENS.—

(1) UNITED STATES CITIZENS.—The requirement to detain a person in military custody under
this section does not extend to citizens of the United States.

(2) LAWFUL RESIDENT ALIENS.—The requirement to detain a person in military custody under
this section does not extend to a lawful resident alien of the United States on the basis of conduct
taking place within the United States, except to the extent permitted by the Constitution of the United States.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2011-12-13 at 17:01.
Old 2011-12-13, 17:32   Link #18246
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

U.S. lawmakers freeze $700 million to Pakistan, ties strained
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7BC0QI20111213
Old 2011-12-13, 21:34   Link #18247
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/12/13/...y-of-protests/

I'm getting sick and tired of these stupidass hardcore right wingers making a mockery of our inclusionist culture. It was blacks, asians, catholics, orthodox, jews, now muslims......Jesus Friggin Christ.

The leader said 99.9% of Muslims believe in Sharia law........

Overlooking the nuances of believe in Sharia or conservative doctrines or it's effect on western cultures and society, HE SAID 99.9%. What kind of idiot puts out those Putin or Iran Republic type numbers. What scares me is PEOPLE BUY IT.

What gets me about these people is that they don't get that this blatant racist dumbassery can easily lead to average everyday Muslims NOT try to integrate and just radicalize.

Sorry, if this is rambling but I am seriously getting tired of this shit.
One of the downsides of world-wide communication *is* that any little wackjob fringe idiot can capture the world stage for a moment. This is one of those moments .... and frankly, it was pathetic of Lowe's to jump ship before actually seeing if these idiot clowns had any clout. Now they're going to pay the price for being "too safe".
Old 2011-12-13, 22:14   Link #18248
solomon

Ok I cooled down....

With the recent Russian Demonstrations and developments in the Arab World, it got me to thinking about Democratization in certain big world stages.

Could Russia one day have it's own..........er Russian Revolution?

(Gotta think up a better term like Arab Spring or Orange Revolution, any ideas?)

I can't really get a finger on Russia. Apparently liberalism as defined in the West is rather weak there, so opposition is dominated by Commuinists and (explicit) Nationalists.

Some cultural commentators say that Russia like China (or at least China's state line) is that they aren't too hot on democracy because it breeds insecurity. Apparently Russians have more of an appetite for strong arm tactics and centralized power (apparently the Orthodox church influences this somehow).

Russia could potentially be a force, but as opposed to what MAY occur in Egypt and Tunisia in terms of human development, Russia seems to be stuck in neutral on public health, corruption and investment potential.
Old 2011-12-13, 23:29   Link #18249
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Ok I cooled down....

With the recent Russian Demonstrations and developments in the Arab World, it got me to thinking about Democratization in certain big world stages.

(Gotta think up a better term like Arab Spring or Orange Revolution, any ideas?)

I can't really get a finger on Russia. Apparently liberalism as defined in the West is rather weak there, so opposition is dominated by Commuinists and (explicit) Nationalists.

Some cultural commentators say that Russia like China (or at least China's state line) is that they aren't too hot on democracy because it breeds insecurity. Apparently Russians have more of an appetite for strong arm tactics and centralized power (apparently the Orthodox church influences this somehow).

Russia could potentially be a force, but as opposed to what MAY occur in Egypt and Tunisia in terms of human development, Russia seems to be stuck in neutral on public health, corruption and investment potential.
The whole Orange Revolution next door didn't yield much success. So i guess it's hard for the Russians to pull up one
Old 2011-12-13, 23:31   Link #18250
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
The whole Orange Revolution next door didn't yield much success. So i guess it's hard for the Russians to pull up one
In Russia you don't hold a revolution in the country, the country holds a revolution in you!

EDIT :

Man shoots Christmas shoppers in Belgium, kills three (1:52)

Quote:
Police at the scene after a gunman opened fire and hurled grenades on a crowd of Christmas shoppers in Belgian city of Liege. Three people were killed, with over a hundred injured before the attacker shot himself in the head moments later. Prosecutors say the gunman, 33-year-old Nordine Amrani had a criminal record that included illegal weapons and drug possession charges and that he was released from prison last year. SOUNDBITE: Prosecutor Danielle Reynders saying (French): "This morning he was supposed to go to the police for interrogation, he was seen on a roof on the Place Saint Lambert square, he used a weapon and a revolver and he threw three grenades. He is dead." Belgian Prime Minister Elio di Rupo said the entire country shared the pain of the victims. SOUNDBITE: Belgian Prime Minister Elio Di Rupo saying (French): "The act which happened here in Liege is horrible, there are no words to describe the tragedy. We think of the innocent victims, innocent victims, of their families and friends. We also think of all the people who were present at the scene, and more generally of the people of Liege." Prosecutors say they are not sure what motivated the attack -- but did add that Amrani had no known links to terrorist groups. Deborah Gembara, Reuters.
I remember there is a fellow forum member studying in Belgium. You okay there?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.

Last edited by SaintessHeart; 2011-12-14 at 00:59.
Old 2011-12-14, 01:17   Link #18251
konart

Quote:
Ok I cooled down....

No, thank you. Nobody here wants revolution, at least not Arab scenario.
And we already had term for it - White revolution
Old 2011-12-14, 06:52   Link #18252
Tom Bombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by konart View Post
No, thank you. Nobody here wants revolution, at least not Arab scenario.
And we already had term for it - White revolution
It was mentioned that the Russian Communist Party played an important role in the recent demonstration, is that true? The photo you posted did show a few red flags. I wonder how much influence they have 2 decades after the fall of the soviet union.
Old 2011-12-14, 08:15   Link #18253
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

British mercenary details failed coup in book
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7BC0RH20111213
Old 2011-12-14, 12:06   Link #18254
konart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
It was mentioned that the Russian Communist Party played an important role in the recent demonstration, is that true? The photo you posted did show a few red flags. I wonder how much influence they have 2 decades after the fall of the soviet union.
Nope. All official opposing parties (Liberal Democratic Party of Russia, Communist Party of the Russian Federation, A Just Russia) claimed selections being rigged, but decided not to abandon their mandates in Duma. More than that - Gennady Zyuganov, the leader of Communist Party, called protests that took place several days ago an "orange leprosy", sponsored by US(who else, lol).

http://www.airpano.ru/files/Moscow-B...y/start_r.html - Spherical panorama of Bolotnaya square on that day.
Old 2011-12-14, 12:15   Link #18255
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Ok I cooled down....

Russia's had a fair number of revolutions, and attempts at introducing liberalizing reforms. Afterwards there was always a reversion back to how things were before. Look at the October Revolution. The Communists were worse then the Tsars!

I'm pessimistic about significant change happening in Russia, still, Russia's a lot more democratic then it ever was previously. That said, it has a lot of social and economic problems. Ripe fo autocracy to make a comeback. Observe how many of the pro-putin movements and propoganda rail against alcoholism (which is currently endemic in Russia, alcohol consumption has tripled in the last 16 years).

Last edited by DonQuigleone; 2011-12-14 at 12:25.
Old 2011-12-14, 13:01   Link #18256
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Sorry the linked text is in french:
Manifester pour Poutine, une activité lucrative ( To manifest for Putin, a lucrative activity )
http://www.cyberpresse.ca/internatio...-lucrative.php
Old 2011-12-14, 13:27   Link #18257
Zakoo

As expected from Russia, it's not really different from what happened in Algeria during the 90'.

Buying vote, the liberal way.
Old 2011-12-14, 13:39   Link #18258
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Barely Half of U.S. Adults Are Married – A Record Low

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2011/...-a-record-low/

see it not just Japan that prefer single

Old 2011-12-14, 14:25   Link #18259
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
Barely Half of U.S. Adults Are Married – A Record Low

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2011/...-a-record-low/

see it not just Japan that prefer single
Sadly, that doesn't have any effect on birth rate.

It's the modern life of:
"Friends with benefits" and accidents.
Old 2011-12-14, 15:11   Link #18260
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

So the person of the year is: the protester.
http://www.time.com/time/specials/pa...102132,00.html

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international